[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cooking sushi rice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 29071_sushi_rice.jpg (58KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
29071_sushi_rice.jpg
58KB, 300x240px
hello everybody I'm looking for advice on how to cook rice for sushi
I don't have a rice cooker

I made sushi 3 times in the past, and the rice either came out too mushy and gummy or too hard on the inside
I have used a generic brand "sushi rice" pack and I've used good quality basmati rice, but there's probably some secret passed from japanese fathers to japanese sons for generations that I don't know
for example
does it really matter that I put the rice in a wooden bowl after it's been cooked and that I use a wooden spoon to stir it?
how much does the quantity of vinegar/salt I use as condiment affect the consistency of the rice?
does it matter that I use longer grain rice like basmati, and if so why?

thanks in advance everybody
>>
>>8397379
>does it matter that I use longer grain rice like basmati, and if so why?

Yes, different texture, different cooking time.
standard sushi rice takes longer to cook than basmati.

>does it really matter that I put the rice in a wooden bowl after it's been cooked and that I use a wooden spoon to stir it?

If your rice is undercooked slightly then don't remove it from the pan, infact stir it quickly a few times, put the lid back on and wrap a towel around the lid to keep the heat in.

I would not remove it if it had just finished cooking.

Wooden spoon doesn't matter, nor does the wood. I would put it in there once cooled to mix it up before making it sushi.
>>
>>8397408
going a bit further.

Before cooking it, wash the shit of that rice. Like, 10 minutes at a minimum kind of thing.
>>
Look up how to wash rice properly on YouTube. Zojirushi has a good one.

Chef John has a video on sushi rice where he discusses using a flat surface or bowl to mix afterwards, with pros and cons.
>>
>>8397379
Did you soak the rice for an hour before you start to cook it?
>>
imo this the best rice available in the US for jp application anyway

wash rice until water is clear - it'll take longer than you expect

then put in sieve and set to dry for ~15-30 min, the grains will turn opaque

i don't usually soak and I don't think it really matters that much but soak for 30min or so

say you used 2 cups rice so you'd use 2.5 cups water, 3 cups 3.5 etc

put in pot and keep the lid off, keep the burner on high until it begins to boil, as soon as you see bubbles put the lid on and reduce to low, keep on low for 15 min then remove from heat completely and let rest for 5 min

after its rested take a paddle and move the rice around to release any extra steam

t.日本人の祖母の作り方

頑張ろう
>>
File: 282_480x310.jpg (70KB, 480x310px) Image search: [Google]
282_480x310.jpg
70KB, 480x310px
>>8398657
イメージ忘れちゃった。。
>>
>>8397703
this one is suggesting to wash rice thoroughly, until no more starch comes out
>>8398543
the zojirushi video explains I should wash the rice fast, in such a way to avoid the rice absorbing starchy water, and judging from the process I'm guessing the suggestion is not to let the rice absorb much water at all
>>8398636
>>8398657
these ones are then suggesting to soak the rice in the water so to let it absorb water

I appreciate you taking the time to give me advice, but I'm not getting a clear picture of what I should do here

>>8398657
>then put in sieve and set to dry for ~15-30 min, the grains will turn opaque
>i don't usually soak and I don't think it really matters that much but soak for 30min or so
so I should wash it thoroughly, then let it dry, then soak it again?
why?
>after its rested take a paddle and move the rice around to release any extra steam
when it's still in the hot pan, or after having removed it?
and at that point, what should the consistence be like?
>>
>>8398895
also, if I can't get a hold of "sushi rice", is there any way to make, say, basmati rice sticky enough without it being mushy/messy?
I looked around for 15 minutes and I've mostly read that it can't be done because sushi rice is stickier, and since the stickiness comes from the starch I figured it might work to not wash basmati rice as much, so the starch left makes the grains stick to each other.
am I hopeless/can it be done?
>>
>>8398922
just look for short grain rice, wash the fuck out of it, get the right water to rice ratio, cool it, and season it with rice vinegar
>>
go to a sushi restaurant and say i want to order some rice

pay 3$ and get your big ass bowl of sushi rice and gtfo

easiest way
>>
>>8398922
lol get that basmati dick out of ur mouth op

go to ur local oriental marketplace and buy the big 20lb bag with the red elephant on it

should be like 20 bucks
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.