[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New York City - NYC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: NYC-FORBES-1940x970[1].jpg (461KB, 1940x970px) Image search: [Google]
NYC-FORBES-1940x970[1].jpg
461KB, 1940x970px
I'm gonna be here for a week, any food recommendations? Anywhere from cheap to moderately expensive ($60 for a meal for one).
Specifically anywhere I can get BaoHaus type food for cheap in China Town. Pizza too!
>>
>>8390365
I'll ask a relative who works there.
>>
>>8390365
>China Town
china town really is china town, very few english speakers and it isn't a place for non-chinese. there really isn't anything there for you except for soup dumplings at joes shanghai, and there's another location near central park so there's even less of a reason to go down there.

I'm a regular at reichenbach hall they have 2 liter beers if you feel like getting shitfaced and feel pregnant
usually I get currywurst and veal or chicken jagerschnitzel with red cabbage which is enough to make like 3 meals out of. Everything is over sized yet reasonably priced
>>
>>8390504
I'm Asian, so, all good.
>>
>>8390365

Non-exhaustive list of NYC places/dishes that are generally recommended that I can personally co-sign:
Shanghai cafe for soup dumplings (my favorite dish in NYC)
Bassanova for Green Curry Ramen (would be my favorite dish in NYC but last time I went it wasn't as good so it's been dethroned).
Breslin Lamb Burger
Spotted Pig Burger
Nom Wah Tea Parlor for Dim Sum
Jing Fong for slightly more elaborate dim sum.
Turntable Chicken for Korean Fried Chicken
Shake shack, obviously (the maneuver here is single smokeshack)
Kang Ho Dong Baekjong for KBBQ but if you can make it to Flushing or Palisades park the korean food out there is better.
Roberta's for Pizza
Momofuku Ssam bar > Nishi > Ma Peche > Noodle Bar but all are pretty decent.
Burger Joint
Ivan Ramen Slurp shop Vegetable Ramen (<-favorite vegetarian dish in nyc)
Russ and Daughter's for Bagels and lox
Katz's for pastrami
Eataly (go on a weekday).
Criff's Dogs
By Chloe (if you want vegan food).
Sushi Yasaka for affortable omakase.
Kalustyan's (really cool food market)
X'ian Famous Foods
Mission Chinese (hit or miss IMO)
Ippudo but not for ramen for pork buns
Superiority burger for a great vegetarian burger in w fool
Halal Guys

Slightly more expensive places I've been to and liked: L'Artusi (italian), Upland (california-ish italian), Beatrice inn (Steakhouse food but not steakhouse-y), Boloud Sud (French medeterranian), Bar Boloud (French bistro + charcuterie),
>>
>>8391557
Thanks dude!
>>
>>8391557
Are you the guy from the UK that made the thread asking about where to eat while in NYC?
>>
>>8391583

I live in NYC and maybe pasted the recommendation in that thread? I have it in a google doc that i send to friends.
>>
>>8391557
>Ippudo but not for ramen for pork buns
I as I was working down the list I was seeing no mention of ippudos buns, but then mah nigga

I like the chicken ones too which have spicy fried chicken on them, usually I get an order of each
>>
>>8391557
I'm gonna use this for dates
>>
Los Tacos and Los Mariscos in the Chelsea Market, fucking amazing Mexican food
>>
>>8391557
This guy knows what's up
>>
Wo Hop for cheap chinese. Katz deli for deli foods or a shmear.
>>
>>8390365

Go to this place there called "Pizzarte".

God-tier pizza
>>
>>8390365

First off, this guy (>>8391557) is a native. Damn good list. Some stuff he missed:

Cones on Bleecker Street (between 6th and 7th) for ice cream and sorbet. Their whipped cream is also excellent.

John's Pizzeria (also on Bleecker Street between 6th and 7th) is an excellent pizzeria, though it lacks the Italian aesthetic most other pizza places will have in the city.

If you're willing to go out to Queens, Arthur Avenue between Crescent and East Fordham Road boasts some of the best Italian-American cuisine anywhere, I've walked down that avenue, sat down in any random restaurant, and enjoyed a top notch meal.

Dinosaur BBQ (125th and Riverside Drive) is possibly the best BBQ outside of (or even inside) Texas; they're a chain started up in Albany but they kick the snot out of southern 'cue contests on their own turf. Fucking excellent pulled pork and ribs.

Minetta Tavern's Black Label Burger is a little touristy but it's fucking good. Jane Street Tavern is also a good place to grab a pint and a bite.
>>
File: Richieaprile.png (126KB, 230x272px) Image search: [Google]
Richieaprile.png
126KB, 230x272px
>>8395270
>Arthur Avenue
>Queens
>>
>>8395287

Motherfucker, I meant the Bronx. A bit preoccupied with setting up beef bourguignon
>>
>>8395270

>>8391557 here. I always debate whether or not to recommend arthur avenue because it's really hard to get there as a tourist (you gotta take the metro north) but yes the food there is so good. Then again I recommend you go to jersey for korean food so i'm a hypocrite. I still have yet to try the black label burger but i might do it during my post New Years' staycation.
>>
>>8395270
>Dinosaur BBQ kicks shit out of southern

They've never even placed in a KC or Memphis contest. And having better BBQ than Texas, which is primarily beef, is no difficult feat. A number of places, KC, North Carolina, Memphis, for example, kick the shit out of Texas BBQ and your "NY BabyBBQ" as well.
>>
>>8395498

the nice thing about being from new york is we can make wildly exaggerated claims about the goodness of our bbq but unlike anywhere else we're smart enough not to bother getting into a pissing match when someone disagrees.
>>
>>8395270
John's is based.
>>
>>8395671

If you've been to John's but not Cones, you missed out. In my opinion, Cones is legitimately the best ice cream/sorbet in the city.
>>
dollar pizza
>>
>>8395433
You can take the D train actually, it's not that far of a walk
>>
What are some good bars to go to?
>>
File: images (8).png (9KB, 208x242px) Image search: [Google]
images (8).png
9KB, 208x242px
>>8390365
>$60 for a meal for one
>>
I've heard steakhouses in NYC are god-tier. Which are the best, especially if you like the whole old-school steakhouse experience?
>>
>>8390504
It's great because on Christmas all the fancy places become kosher and the neighborhood become the densest Jewish neighborhood in the tristate area lol
>>8390365
RUSS & DAUGHTERS is the fucking greatest bagel and bagel sandwich shop in all of NYC, their schmears, lox, caviars, everything are just fantastic.

Lines always unless you come early enough
>>8391557
>>8395270
Listen to these dudes and explore some Habesha and Senegalese spots in Harlem.

Side eye in the lack of Caribbean places or Dominican places.

NYC exists above Columbus circle bruhs.
>>
>>8397067
I've heard a lot of good things about La Morada in The Bronx, I've been meaning to go there for a while
>>
>>8397078
oh and it's a Mexican restaurant known for its moles
>>
>>8397045

NYC steakhouses are not cheap, especially high-end ones in Manhattan. They tend to start at the "arm and a leg" range and ascend steeply from there. That said, here are some choices:

Peter Luger in Brooklyn is always a treat, and they serve very large slabs of bacon as a side dish in case steak wasn't heart-threatening enough for you.

Keens Steakhouse on 36th and 6th is probably the most old-school steakhouse left in the city, in aesthetic if not date (it's ancient though, since the 1880s.)

The Knickerbocker Grill on 9th street and University Place is also a nice place to grab a steak, though they aren't so specialized that I'd call them a steakhouse. They have live jazz sometimes, and original Al Hirschfeld art on the walls.
>>
>>8390365

Ray's pizza.
>>
>>8397067 (list writer here) i mean i live in washington heights so i've got no lack of love for uptown spots (malecon/saguiette/bono trattoria/jin ramen/pistichi's are all regular rotation for me), though there's a malecon and jin ramen on the UWS. Which Senegalese/Habesha/Carribean spots are worth checking out?

>>8397078 Yesterday was my birthday but I had to work. I was actually planning on trekking to the bronx for some of the fabled mexican food if you want to meet a /ck/ rando) for a late lunch (was planning on Taqueria Tlaxcalli but La Morada is a lot closer).
>>
>>8390365
New York's alright if you like saxophones
>>
>>8397669
:^)

>>8396897
the closest ones

>>8391557
taking much umbrage with your list, which is touristy and weirdly commercial.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.