[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I wash meat before cooking? Apparently washing is bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: a673c857_27552_cc_bath_2.jpg (42KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
a673c857_27552_cc_bath_2.jpg
42KB, 640x479px
Should I wash meat before cooking?

Apparently washing is bad because bacteria can spread to the sink, other areas of the kitchen, and other food. But I've been reading some chef's forum and some of them do wash their meat to get blood or bits of bones out. Only with chicken though. Not sure if they wash beef or pork.

Also what if I were to butcher the bird myself? Should I wash it?

Would like some opinions on this.
>>
I've seen Asians wash their meat, and even soak it in water for some reason, pretty often, but never really understood why.

The only reason I've ever been taught/told to wash meat is when we get a 50 pound case of chicken wings or something and there might be little bits of juice and whatnot that we want rinsed off before we marinate them. Otherwise it's pretty much when a piece of meat (typically poultry) is getting old and starts to smell a little. Rinse it off, and if it still smells it's most likely no good to sell; if the smell is gone after rinsing, it should be good to go for that night but probably thrown out after that.

Don't listen to anyone who talks about "getting rid of blood" (I've heard Maangchi talk about this). There's no blood in meat you buy from a butcher or grocery store.
>>
>>8382187
>There's no blood in meat you buy from a butcher or grocery store.
Except there actually is. Of course not all the time but how can you say there IS NEVER ANY BLOOD in meat? It depends on where you got it from
>>
>>8382193
My local butcher is a vampire.
>>
>>8382193

The point is more that many people confuse myoglobin with blood. Sure there is probably a little blood left in the meat you buy, but you likely never see or taste it, and it certainly isn't the red liquid that's running out of your meat when you cut into it without letting it properly rest.
>>
>>8382157

what a cute chicker
>>
>>8382196
not that, but in storebought meat there are always a few clots of blood left, especially at the joints of poultry meat
>>
>>8382187
asian here
told my mom westerners do not wash their meat and she cannot believe it. I guess we do rinse ours, but the sink is surely cleaned afterwards. I ask her why wash meat and she says
>"you dont know whose hands has held that meat!"
>"what if there were flies?!"
>etc
I noticed, even with fish meat, a lot of people like to scrub them with salt or something to get rid of bacteria or whatever (usually done when after they take off the innards under its gills).
>>
>>8382235
Huh, interesting. I guess it's more of a big deal in the East due to open meat shopping.

Here in the West, they're handled in a maintained environment and covered in plastic before going on sale.

Interesting, thank mr asian
>>
File: 1481456190131.jpg (102KB, 760x950px) Image search: [Google]
1481456190131.jpg
102KB, 760x950px
this seems like as good a thread as any to ask in, how the fuck do i get the blood out of freshly cleaned animals?

duck, pig, rabbit, it all has blood in it, obviously it should though, my questions is, do i need to let it sit for a few days? let the blood run out? what do i do so i don't have blood in the bottom of the pan?
>>
>>8382293
I don't know about anybody else, but with venison we always just washed and soaked the meat.

Any "gamey" flavor can get drawn out pretty easily with water and a dash of salt. Just replace the water when it's gotten pretty red--shouldn't take longer than an hour or two.
>>
File: 1481809957139.jpg (60KB, 728x740px) Image search: [Google]
1481809957139.jpg
60KB, 728x740px
>>8382302
thank you very kindly, seems like a good idea, i'll use this method.
>>
>>8382293
hang it up side down and slit its throat?

idk isent that you do it?
>>
>>8382235
>a lot of people like to scrub them with salt

that is probably to salt the meat not to clean it
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.