[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

polish food > everything else am i rite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: lunch-6.jpg (72KB, 750x603px) Image search: [Google]
lunch-6.jpg
72KB, 750x603px
polish food > everything else

am i rite
>>
>>8375610
>polish
>pic related is from a restaurant in Vancouver
Retard.
>>
>>8375610
No, you are not right. It actually goes

McChicken > everything else > poolish food.

May the McChicken's light shine upon us all.
>>
For me its the zap'za
>>
>>8377575
forgot pic
>>
File: Polish_-Zapiekanka-.jpg (86KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Polish_-Zapiekanka-.jpg
86KB, 800x600px
>>8377579
>>8377575

duh
>>
>>8375610
The only Polish food I've knowingly had is pierogies, but they're one of my favorite foods. What would you recommend for someone interested in exploring the cuisine from square one?
>>
>>8377612
Kotlet, barszcz czerwony with eggs or perogies, paczki (staple snack), bigos.
t. Polish parents but born somewhere else
>>
File: Bigos_polonia.jpg (85KB, 684x480px) Image search: [Google]
Bigos_polonia.jpg
85KB, 684x480px
>>8377612
Bigos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBzngQIQ43U

There are 4 ways to prepare it in poland (i know the spicy southern way and the mild northern way)

But the video is the basic.
>>
>>8377612
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJZd-Oge5_E
>>
>>8377588
that looks pretty good, what is it?
>>
>>8377679
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapiekanka

First polish "fast food".

Back in the 70's, when burgers and hot dogs were a thing in the west, our government decided to create something for the Polish people that will resemble those.

Sometimes bad times create a good invention.
>>
>>8377646
>>8377657
>>8377662
Thanks very much. Looking forward to making and trying bigos, and eventually the rest.
>>
>>8375610
I would argue that they know how to make sausage. The meat stick, kabonassy, is arguably the best in the world. Easy to make at home too.
>>
>>8377612
Kielbasa
>>
>>8375610
how close to slovak food is polish? all the traditional slovak foods i tried were unbelievably good (bryndzove halusky, bryndze pierohi, many kinds of gulash, duck, bread dumplings, pork leg, etc). I'm a burger and didn't get a chance to visit Poland yet
>>
Actual Polish person here who has lived most of his life outside of Poland so I got to eat cuisines from all over the world.

Polish cuisine is one of the worst I've got to try. It's bland, boring, unimaginative, and the average person in Poland eats the same 5 or so dishes all the fucking time. There are some dishes like perogies where if you eat them once in a while they're amazing but if I had to eat them all the time I would get bored so quickly.

I think Polish cuisine could benefit from some fusion with other cuisines, maybe if cabbage rolls had an Asian twist to them they would become amazing...
>>
>>8378083

kys cabbage rolls are fine the way they are
>>
File: PB110616.jpg (258KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PB110616.jpg
258KB, 1600x1200px
Ill list everything I know about Polish food:

Sausage (of course)
Perogies
Rye bread
Distilled spirits
Pączki Day (I'm from Chicago, its a thing here)
Kolache

The Polish bakery is pretty good. Are these things even Polish? Whatever they are, I like them.
>>
>>8378091
You mean the bland as fuck meat and rice that's just seasoned with salt and pepper is enough? At least adding some oregano or some chili would make it amazing.
>>
>>8375610
none of those things are eaten together, and coleslaw isn't even polish.
>>
>>8378119
>Pączki Day
it's called fat thursday, faggot.
>>
>>8378083
Also actual Polish person here,
Polish food is amazing, if you have well cooked stuff.
The thing is, peasants eat peasant shit, and they do this because it is sustenance and not meant to be delicious.
When you have food for nobility, who were allowed to indulge, you have good food.
Modern technology and access to food makes food for nobility accessible.
So french cuisine would be utter trash if you based it on what the poor frenchies ate.
And if you base polish cuisine on what poor polaks ate, then you are gonna get a lot of bland potatoes and cabbage.
Luckily, we base our critiques on cuisine on the best food the culture has to offer, which is often the food of nobility.

And to OP,
Barszcz (borscht) with uszka is a christmas favorite.
its a beet soup with mushroom filled dumplings.
It is my childhood. I can eat it for weeks on end without ever getting tired.
Be careful though, there are good and bad kinds of this soup.
If you get a good kind, prepare to be forever disappointed by any other kind.
>>
>>8378150
they don't have to have a mushroom filling. meat is also common but i always thought it tastes pretty bad.
>>
>>8378154
Uszka (meaning "little ears" in Polish) are small dumplings[1] (a very small and twisted version of pierogi) usually filled with flavoursome wild forest mushrooms and/or minced meat.

Please Mr. Superior Burger, educate me on what I have lived through for decades.
>>
>>8378154
>>8378162
Sorry, i misread the "have to have" part.
I thought you were saying that they dont have mushrooms. Not great at english, my dude.
>>
Any good recipe books in english? Would I be better off with a russian/Ukrainian cookbook?
>>
>>8375610
Looks like something a peasant would eat back in the day
>>
>>8375610
Żurek (pretty much white borscht) is really fine.
Schabowy is alright, but it's a bit of a meme.
Kabanosy are great, like a better sausage.

That being said, Polish cuisine is from what I've seen overhyped by foreigners. It's not the worst, not the best either. If you ask what's the favourite dish (especially among young people) the answer will probably be kebab, pizza and other stuff you can find anywhere else in the world.
>>
>>8377612
>>8377646
I forgot to add you can drink barszcz czerwony (beetroot) by itself. It's bretty gud. My dad likes to add pepper to it if you're interested
>>
>>8378120

> he's a shit cook

thanks for exposing yourself
>>
Lived in Poland for two years.

Wouldn't cook Polish food myself as a lot of it is very laborious and time consuming unless you make it a few times and learn more with each attempt.

Pierogi: stuffed dumplings, similar to tortellini or gyoza but usually with a thicker pasta shell

Uszka: smaller stuffed dumplings with a thinner shell. Usually had it in barszcz / soup

Gołąbki: cabbage leaves stuffed and rolled / folded with meat and rice, usually served with a tomato based sauce. Delicious!

Krokiety: stuffed and rolled pancakes, then breaded and pan fried. Delicious, usually served with soup

Barszcz czerwony: beetroot soup, a bit on the tangy side. Like it very much

Żurek: soup made with meat and a fermented rye flour base. Never had it in a wah that blew my socks off, tangy but bland and usually greasy, not my fave

Barszcz biały: soup based on a fermented wheat flour base. Similar to żurek

Schabowy: porkchop tenderised with a mallet, breaded and pan fried. Other cuisines have the same or similar foods (Schnitzel)

Bigos: sort of hunter's stew with sauerkraut / fermented cabbage. Never been a fan of sauerkraut so not something I like very much

Łazanki: pasta with cabbage (usually sauerkraut but I prefer it with regular), mushrooms and sausage or bacon. Easy to make and very delicious

Things the poles do right are soups - they are usually very chunky and more stew-like. Fermented pickles and cabbage are good too, though I'm not a fan of the latter.

Also, foraging for mushrooms is rather popular. The shrooms are dried and used in a variety of dishes (eg. Mushroom soup).

Desserts and sweets are rather good too. They have jaffa cakes in different flavours with a jelly rather than marmalade filling. Baked cheesecake is lovely too, as is makowiec, a poppyseed filled stollen like cake. Drożdżówki, brioche-like danishes are also nom

Also, very important, boiled, steamed or mashed potatoes + fresh, chopped dill is god tier. Honestly, try it.
>>
File: veselka pierogis.jpg (89KB, 590x590px) Image search: [Google]
veselka pierogis.jpg
89KB, 590x590px
>>8375615
>it's not real polish food if it's not made in Poland

You Italian or something? Nothing worse than 'no-true-scotsman' bullshit in food and shit like 'it's not real bolognese if it wasn't made by some grandma in Bologna, Italy'.

You'd think the Poles would be less insufferable about their peasant food, and judging by the replies in the rest of the thread, that seems to be the case. First post worst post.

Anyways, although it technically comes from a Ukrainian restaurant, Veselka's short rib pierogis are pretty dank, I just wish they weren't so small. My wife is Ukrainian and she likes making that kind of thing a lot, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite type of food.
>>
Can anyone give me an authentic bigos recipe? I see conflicting recipes online so I'm not sure what I should add or take away. I was thinking of doing rabbit, pork belly, and kielbasa. But what about the addition of apples, prunes, and madeira wine? Also rye or potatoes on the side?
>>
I think your best bet would be a couple of Polish websites plus help from Google translate to get a general feel for it.

First time I'm hearing about madeira wine in the dish though. My advice is to keep it simple for your first attempt. And make plenty since this is a dish that improves over a few days, so it is always made so that there are plenty of leftovers.
>>
Polish food is pretty good, and I'm gonna let you finish, but Russian food is the best of all time. German (Bavarian) is a close second.
>>
>>8378620
polish cuisine is hearty. it's going to taste good because it has lots of carbs and fat, but it won't be overloaded with flavor, hence why you have chucklefucks calling it bland.
>>
>>8379829
The problem with polish cuisine is that the amount of herbs and spices used is really minimal. Salt, pepper, maggi liquid seasoning / 'Kucharek' style seasoning and stock cubes are pretty much the only stuff consistently used.

Apart from that, majoram, paprika, bay leaf and allspice are added sometimes, but they're not exactly flavour-bombs.

This works fine for a lot of people, but I myself prefer more aromatic, spicy cuisines.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.