[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which type of sugar should you use when caramelising onions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: cipolle caramellate.jpg (50KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
cipolle caramellate.jpg
50KB, 650x433px
Which type of sugar should you use when caramelising onions?
Brown? White? A mixture of both?
More importantly, why? What's the difference between the two?
>>
>>8375542
Wtf none. Brown in copious amounts of butter.
>>
File: amerilard pepe.jpg (58KB, 505x421px) Image search: [Google]
amerilard pepe.jpg
58KB, 505x421px
>>8375590
>copious amounts of butter
>>
Balsamic vinegar
>>
>>8375542
you dont use sugar.

use a bowl of eggs
>>
Sugar?? The onions are full of sugar...
>>
non-joke answer: onions are naturally sweet, no sugar is needed
joke answer: I prefer to add caramel
>>
I just cook them down in a naked pan on low heat. At the end, right before they're about to stick I'll add a heavy pinch of salt and some butter or oil.
>>
>>8375542

you don't need to add sugar when caramelizing onions.

>>what's the difference
white sugar is highly refined. It's pure sugar. Brown sugar has some of the molasses in it from when the sugar cane (or beets) were cooked down. It has additional flavor which white sugar lacks.
>>
>>8375590
>>8376190
>>8375612
>>8376192
>>8376200
>>8376206

>no having caramelized onions paired with red meat and some strong spicing
>>
>>8376211
The posts to which you've linked have absolutely nothing to do with what you just posted.
>>
>>8376211
> My first greentext
>>
i use miracle whip
>>
>>8375542
I use corn syrup
>>
>>8375542
For me, it's the McChicken sandwich
>>
I thought this thread was about red vs white onions and hoped for an interesting discussion
>>
You only use sugar if you are short on time and need to get them super sticky and sweet.
If you got the time, just take a shed load of onions, your fat and start cooking them real slow. At a bit of liquid and cover, uncover every now and then to move them around a bit.
Takes time, but they will caremelise eventually.
Then theres the shortcut.
Same set up, just add brown sugar. Brown sugar caramlises much better than white sugar. Should have relatively sticky onions in under an hour.
>>
>>8375542
youre supposed to use baking soda.
>>
>>8378443
That breaks them down too much
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.