[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favorite Wiskey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 298
Thread images: 49

File: whiske.jpg (136KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
whiske.jpg
136KB, 540x720px
If I ever turn into an alcoholic it will be due to this bottle of happiness.
>>
wowwoww forgot an "h", nice kill me
>>
Lafroog is a meme.
>>
>>8374971
A tasty meme.
>>
Blantons
>>
>>8374797
>You now own a1 metre patch of bog
>>
File: blend_fam15.jpg (86KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
blend_fam15.jpg
86KB, 540x720px
This is one of the best affordable whiskeys on the market. I've had $300 scotch and this is comparable if not better
>>
Usually when I get whiskey I'll have a glass or two then it sits collecting dust on the shelf until I have a party or something.

I bought a bottle of Suntory a few weeks ago and actually finished it, and kind of want to pick up another one
>>
File: booze.jpg (288KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
booze.jpg
288KB, 1328x747px
>tfw you just make your own whiskey

Its not that difficult
>>
>>8374797

I’ve had the same bottle of Laphroaig sitting in my kitchen cabinet for about 20 years now and it’s only had two shots worth drunk out of it, as my whisky drinking buddies won’t touch the stuff.
>>
File: Alien.gif (497KB, 491x215px) Image search: [Google]
Alien.gif
497KB, 491x215px
>>8375007
>make your own whiskey

I've had both "real" Moonshine from Down South and some that my neighbor made in his garage it felt like drinking Alien acid blood...
>>
>>8375039

Our stuff is the hit of my town, everyone that likes booze loves it. Its 110 proof and pure corn liquor.
>>
>>8374797
All whiskey tastes the same, you're just fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
>>
>>8375312
Go drink some Jameson and then try some Lagavulin 16 and tell me if you think they taste the same.
>>
>>8375007
What's your process and mashbill? I've been looking into making my own whisky for a while and im debating whether to do a pure malted barley or a low rye bourbon mash.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I bought into the meme. Too much for me. I enjoyed the glenmorangie quite a lot, but this was just too smokey for me.

Got another small bottle of glenmorangie as it was on offer and better value than the big one.

Not sure what to try next. Something sweeter.
>>
>>8376305
how's the glenmorangie?
>>
>>8375032
>I’ve had the same bottle of Laphroaig sitting in my kitchen cabinet for about 20 years now
No you haven't.
>>
File: whiskyflavourmap.jpg (74KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
whiskyflavourmap.jpg
74KB, 600x600px
>>8376308

Delicate and citrus. It says "elegant floral spirit" on the bottle and I'd agree with that.

I'm new to whisky so my taste will reflect that but I liked it better than The Famous Grouse and Jameson I tried before it. Also a bottle of Glenlivet but that was a few years ago so cant remember it well.

Another thing I've noticed with all whiskys is that they seem to taste much smoother a couple of weeks after the bottle was opened. Not sure If I've jut got used to the taste or if its a reaction to oxygen or something.

I find charts like this to be useful.
>>
>>8374797
For me, it's the Laphroaig. The perfect whisky beverage.
>>
>>8375312
Not true but it's close enough that if OP ever "turned alcoholic" they'd eventually reach the bottom shelf in time

We all float down here.
>>
Bottom shelf winner. I drink to get drunk, not the taste. Besides, my tongue is completely number after the 3rd drink. Useless.
>>
>>8374993

*one square foot.
>>
>>8376348

Everything Highland Park and above is a treat. Staycation in a bottle.
>>
File: balob.17yov7.jpg (414KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
balob.17yov7.jpg
414KB, 900x1200px
>>8374797
>buddy and I go out and both buy a random bottle of Islay Scotch
>I get Talisker, he gets Laphroaig
I have never been so fucking jealous of another man's alcohol than I have been on that day

My favourite so far is probably Balvenie though
>>
File: download.jpg (14KB, 263x192px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14KB, 263x192px
>>8376126

The process is fairly simple. We mash in on Monday and by Saturday the yeast has usually done its job. Then we kill the yeast, remove the solids and transfer the remaining liquid into the still for distillation.

The still we use is an old antique 5 gallon copper pot still and the worm i made out of copper refrigerant piping since you can buy it already coiled its just a matter of stretching it out and put into a rain barrel for cooling.

For our mash we use mostly corn, we started with cracked feed corn but found that sweet corn results in higher initial proofs. We use 2-row milled barley as an enzyme for the yeast and some brown sugar to boost the proof. Our first yeast we used was "Turbo Yeast" but we've since switched to a Tennessee Whiskey Yeast.

The stuff in my initial picture is 2 types we make, raw shine in the jar and aged on the left side. We have 3 liter aging barrels.

I can go into more detail about the process itself like temps and test equipment if you want but its pretty straight forward. Oh and we do two distillations.
>>
What about Japanese whiskey, or is that considered a meme?
Hotel fucked up our reservation and I asked how it was possible that we reserved a room and they gave it away, and I got a $50 lounge voucher.
Had a glass of Yamazaki with it and I really enjoyed it.
>>
>>8374797

get fucked, Laphroaig tastes like TCP

What is it with you yanks and Scotch? it's blended coffey still shite, when you get some taste you'll learn our whiskey is far superior
>>
>>8377018
Solid as a cheaper scotch but people memeing about it have artificially drove the price and rarity far, far above its quality. It would be competitive around the $45 pricepoint, once the artificial hype dies down it will probably drop back to that price.
>>
>>8377039
>our whiskey

I'm sorry where are you from?
>>
>>8374994
is the black much different from the famous grouse? I have a bottle of the famous and honestly I need to mix it to get it down. Other scotch I can drink neat and enjoy immensely.
>>
>>8375312
>all whisky tastes the same
>all rum tastes the same
>all beer tastes the same
>all soda tastes the same
>all meat tastes the same

low quality b8 m8
>>
>>8376305
I'm new to scotch but I quite liked the glenlivet 12 and monkey shoulder
>>
>>8377012
I'm a homebrewer of wine, beer and mead so I'm familiar with the fermentation but somewhat nervous about the next step. Through my homebrewing friends I've met someone that sells a homemade still for $750.00 but that seems pricey. I built a brick pizza oven simply off a diagram (not a blueprint). Do you have a diagram of yours? Please post. And a detailed explanation after initial fermentation.

I tasted one of his aged in an old oak wine barrel and it was pheomenal.
>>
>>8377018
Japanese whisky used to be some of the best bang for your buck whisky 5 years ago until Jim Murray ruined everything and made Yamazaki 12 his whisky of the year and ever since prices doubled and demand went crazy. Indian whisky will likely be next since Amrut.
>>
File: Basic Setup.png (24KB, 1329x743px) Image search: [Google]
Basic Setup.png
24KB, 1329x743px
>>8377201

Here's a quick Paint drawing of the setup. Pretty simple, all you need is somewhere to heat the mash(still) and somewhere to cool it back down(worm). Inside the rain bucket is cold water, it'll heat up during the process so you need a way to drain hot water and replace with cold (we just use a hose).

As you may know, anything with alcohol in it can be distilled, you could pour budweiser in it and distill the alcohol out of it. So if you're a homebrewer I'll spare you the mash process and go to the final step.

Get your mash in the still and get it heating (we use a propane burner). Make sure you have some way to monitor temps (we have a thermometer on the side). once it gets up to 172F you'll want to hold the temp there for awhile, this is where the booze you want to drink will begin to boil. After some time you'll get it coming out of the worm. THROW THE FIRST FEW OUNCES AWAY ITS POISON. Then using a proof hydrometer monitor the proof coming out of the worm, it will start fairly high and then begin dropping. Once it gets low and the booze starts getting cloudy you can stop the heat (we save the remaining stuff in the still for a further process but its not necessary). We do this process 5 times over 5 weeks and then take everything we get and pour it back in for another distillation. This is where you will get HIGH proofs, and then proof it down to wherever you want to drink it, we choose 110p.
>>
>tfw you love Alcohol but scared it'all make you fat(ter)
I'm not even close to being thin but I lost 50 pounds and I fucking envy my buddy who drinks like a fish and still looks better than me.

I just wanna relax with a Martini after work.
>>
>>8377285

Well obviously alcohol is empty calories but if that's your main concern then liquor is the way to go. Having a martini after work isn't going to turn you into a lardass, there's easier avenues to get that done.

Sometimes I like being a tryhard and making fancy cocktails, its fun.
>>
>>8377285
What I do is have maybe 4 quarter ounces of scotch I like and I enjoy it and stop. I also find moderation good with peattier whisky because it can stain your teeth if you aren't having a good amount of water afterwards.
>>
>>8377275
Great. Thanks, pretty clear information. So after my initial fermentation, run that through my still built according to your instructions. I think I'll try this. I've always got a mead or wine brewing. The copper coil might be tricky, though. But I use one to cool my beer wort, so maybe I can get away with something like that.

Thanks. A lot cheaper than $750.
>>
>>8377416

Copper is very important, its nonreactive. Like I said for the worm I just bought refrigerator piping from Home Depot, it comes coiled and you just need to stretch it out and secure its shape with some wire.

I'm friends with some guys that have a super small brewery and they always give us the experimental fuckup beers they make that are shit for us to distill the alcohol out of it, so it really works out to have a still. I don't know what country you're from but in America its a felony to make shine so be careful.
>>
File: uigeadail.jpg (230KB, 794x1316px) Image search: [Google]
uigeadail.jpg
230KB, 794x1316px
>>8374797
Best whiskey for its price imo.
>>
>>8374994
Bullshit. JB Black is better than that, as is every $50+ bottle I've had.
>>
>>8377432
>'murrica, the land of freedom, it's a felony.

Gotcha. I'm aware of that, but of course it's for my own private use. They'd have to be interested for some other reason before they'd try that crap. Unless you live in the world of Herr Drumpf, who knows?

Thanks for the info.
>>
>>8377506

I don't sell mine either and based on the amount I make its not on anybody's register to fuck with us. We're friends with our local police and at one time had the entire on duty police force except for the supervisors at our house for the final run we were making. Living in a small town white community has its perks.

Making liquor is only a federal crime because of how much tax money the government makes off of the stuff.
>>
>>8377547
>how much tax money the government makes off of the stuff

Yeah, don't get me started on the other innocuous stuff that people are serving lengthy prison terms because they didn't pay their taxes on pot.

But you've been helpful. And I have a feeling we've got quite a bit in common in terms of fuckall the control bastards.
>>
>>8377506
>Bringing up the drumpf meme for no reason
Go back to l eddit
>>
>>8376867
Balvenie tastes like candy.
>>
>>8377018
I enjoy Japanese whisky with dessert.
>>
>>8377163
GROW UP
>>
>>8374994
You're gross.
>>
>>8374797

>no age statement
>>
>>8376867
Talisker isn't Islay, it's considered an Island whisky.
>>
That's literally my alchy dad's favotire Drink, OP.

Like seriously, there are empty bottles of it all over his fucking house
>>
>>8378277
Yeah, NSA whisky is the thing now because hyping age finally bit them in the ass and they can't keep up with demand.
>>
Black label for 20 €
Yey or nay ?
>>
>>8379010
JW? It's not bad at all, I'd say go for it since it's so cheap. It's not great though, don't expect amazing things from it
>>
>>8375007
It litterally takes years. The fuck it's not that hard!
>>
>>8379313
Thanks
>>
>>8377018

I love Hakushu 12. That stuff is smooooooth
>>
>>8379350

I don't know what you're talking about, it takes me 6 weeks to make 5 gallons of 110 proof whiskey. If you mean to age it then we usually let it sit for 1 year. Because of the small barrels that we use it has an accelerated aging process so its not necessary to leave sitting for too long to get a good amount of flavor.
>>
dalwhinnie 15

>>8377285
you can drink hard liquor on a diet as long as you don't eat while drinking.
the alcohol calories won't be stored as fat, they just get burned up, like rocket fuel.
they do take priority over whatever food it is you are digesting, so everything you eat while drinking will go straight to the fat reserves because your liver's busy shooting you to the moon.
>>
File: IMG_5281.jpg (365KB, 1365x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5281.jpg
365KB, 1365x2048px
This has been my budget goto whiskey for a while, I enjoy it a lot more than JW Black, anything else you guys would recommend for around $50?
>>
File: BIRDDOG.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
BIRDDOG.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
how do you guys like birddog?

shitty or actually decent for a budget?
>>
>>8374994
>drinks blended
>not single barrel
>>
File: wild_turkey_101.jpg (782KB, 1333x1800px) Image search: [Google]
wild_turkey_101.jpg
782KB, 1333x1800px
Probably the best bourbon under $200.
>>
>>8374797
>turn into
>>
>>8381080
Drinking flavored 'whisky' is generally frowned upon, because you might as well drink flavored vodka. But whatever floats your boat.
>>
Is Laphroaig a good whisky to mix with coke
>>
File: froyg.jpg (414KB, 800x706px) Image search: [Google]
froyg.jpg
414KB, 800x706px
>>8374797
I think I have a type. PX is the best though. Also if each book got me one square foot I'd own half the island.

>>8374994
I've got a bottle of Black, is it any good? I went to the Grouse distillery and tried everything they made at the time (bout 2 years back) and none of it really stood out. But I might just be an islay fan.

>>8377018
I really like the Yamazaki 12. I've got a pair of Hibiki and Hibiki Masters Select, but I've only tried the non MS Hibiki and it's alright. It gets a lot nicer after I let the glass sit for an hour or two. I've been thinking of getting a bottle of Toki to see if that's any good.

>>8377163
Monkey Shoulder is a good entry level, it's a decent well rounded introductory whisky!

>>8377442
This was nice, same with the corryvreckan (I can not spell that without checking every time.)
>>
>>8381972
Any of those peaty, I'm digging that atm
>>
File: Laphroaig.jpg (165KB, 2048x1228px) Image search: [Google]
Laphroaig.jpg
165KB, 2048x1228px
>>8374797

I've only recently delved in to single malts. Quite a variety out there. and each has it's own attributes. But this...this...campfire in a glass. It's just unbelievable...
>>
>>8381852
You should drink good whisky neat, so it depends how much it costs
>>
>>8381978
If you want peaty go for the PX, the first time I tried it blew my mind. It was like chewing peaty soil. It had a great slightly oily texture sometimes too that was just really satisfying to drink. It has good substance to it.

But in general the ones I've got are quite good. >>8374797 the select is actually one of the weakest expressions Laphroaig do. It's very weak, not quite as weak as say Islay Mist (a cheaper blend which Laphroaig is the base of, which is perfectly serviceable if you're looking for a cheap peaty drink. Black Bottle is the same thing but made with I think Ardbeg?) But in general any laph is good. Not pictured in my shot is Quarter Cask which is also quite nice, a touch fruitier but still quite peaty.

>>8381983
It's an experience isn't it? I can't get enough. I love the salty peaty campfire atmosphere. I'd wear it as a cologne if I could. Sometimes I pour a glass just to smell for an hour before I even get around to drinking it.
>>
>>8381986
Bought it for 75 bucks. It's the triple wood version. It's way too strong for me to drink straight
>>
>>8381852
if it's too strong, try adding a touch of water. It'll actually change the taste of the whisky as well. Also if you let the bottle air out the taste will change. I've had some whiskys that were unpleasant when I first opened them, but if you leave a glass out overnight to air out and try it the next day you'll get an idea of what the bottle will eventually taste like. As soon as you open a whisky the air will start getting into the bottle and the taste will slowly change. So some people own bottles immediately and then drink it 6 months later.

If you let a glass air out for a day and don't find it's improved to you taste wise then the bottle won't 'grow' on you, and you might as well try mixing it to see what works for you. Some people like Laphroaig and coke, some hate it. If you want a whisky that works REALLY well with coke go for something canadian, their whiskys are great mixers. Something like a bottle of Collingwood is actually really nice mixed with coke. (to me at least. I'm getting into drinking my stuff neat so I've stopped mixing.)
>>
>>8381998
some people OPEN bottles immediately and drink it 6 months later, sorry.
>>
>>8382002
Hell, I've had bottles open for years.
>>
File: _MG_7855.jpg (463KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
_MG_7855.jpg
463KB, 1000x667px
Question for you guys. Today is my birthday. Girlfriend bought me (pic related) fucker two weeks ago as some sort of gift in advance. I got to chose it. I love it.

Today she offered me another bottle: Glenffidich 18. she picked it herself and told me she kept the receipt in case I wanted to change it for another one. I think I don't want to keep that thing since it's so damn expensive (around $90 here in switzerland) and given the reviews I read it's not worth it. Any of you ever tasted this one ?
>>
>>8382212
You should taste it yourself and see if it's worth it. If you just go on reviews you'll miss out on stuff you really like. Just because some doofus says it isn't worth the cost doesn't mean you won't love it, and even if you end up agreeing you've still expanded your palette. Life's short, never pass up the opportunity to try a new whisky
>>
>>8381993
Sounds good PX it is
>>
So what does "aging" refer to? Johnnie Walker Black Label is a cheap and common whiskey, "aged" 12 years. Does it mean that it literally sat in some barrel for 12 years, or does "aging" refer to some process that replicated actual years-old whiskey?
>>
>>8381994
75 is getting into decent territory. You can have it on the rocks or with a bit of water i guess
>>
>>8382239
Yeah it actually sat in a barrel for that long. The longer it sits, the more flavor imparted from the actual barrel.
>>
>>8382249
So they make batches of even the most common whiskey 12 years in advance?
Bloody hell, that's some dedication
>>
>>8382250
That's why you'll find there's a lot of price elitism with aged liquors like whiskey, cognac, and more recently rum. Gin and vodka are traditionally unaged and therefore don't require the same amount of dedication.

But what do I know I love gin.
>>
File: bookers-2015-2-a.jpg (4MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
bookers-2015-2-a.jpg
4MB, 2000x3000px
>>
Been enjoying this recently, can't believe how good it is for £20.
>>
>>8380546
Widow Jane is around the $50 dollar range and I find it very good.

Angel's Envy is also another good one for the $50 dollar range.
>>
>>8382212
Glenlivet 18 is okay but you can find better.
If you like sherrybombs look around for Glenfarclas 105 if you haven't had it yet, it has a nice rich spicy quality like a lot of signature speysides and more light fruits rather then darker richer red flesh fruits the A'bunadh has.
>>
>>8382643
It sounds promising since it's finished in sherry butts rather then seasoned or refill casks, however NAS and 80 proof for £35 sounds a bit steep. Is the spirit mature enough in your perspective?
>>
>>8382691
It is currently £20 in Morrisons and I think in Tesco too if you are in the UK. I think £35 is a bit steep considering what else you can get for that price, but having said that it does not taste like a spirit that is "too young".

It is a little unassuming, but very approachable and nice to sip on. I would recommend picking up a bottle, but not at £35.
>>
>>8382769
Unfortunately I'm in Canada so I won't be seeing this until 2017 or 2018 but even in 2018 I'll probably be more inclined to save up for the next batch of Glendronach 18. I just hope LCBO carries this for a price that's not over $60 because they're notorious for overpricing specific brands.
>mfw Balvenie 12 SB is $150 in Ontario
>15 SB is $270
Kill me
>>
Lads, I was given pic related as a gift last week at work. Is it any good? I know know fuck all about whisky. Should I just regift it?
>>
>>8382212
You can always just try it and see if you like it, expanding your palette is always good but if you're worried about it and you can find two bottles you're interested in for half the price of the G18 then swap it for something that looks more appealing. Personally I'm not really a fan of fiddich but it is a huge brand which means a lot of people DO love it.

>>8382237
let us know what you think of the PX anon.

>>8382790
Fellow Ontario victim here, I share your pain. Although we are in the same province as the largest collection of whisky in canada. Check out The Dam pub in Collingwood if you haven't already. They have about 900 single malts. I travel up there just to go to The Dam sometimes. (10 drinks gets you a free glass) I have certainly 'expanded my palette' there.

>>8382239
Since JW is a blend it usually means the youngest whisky IN the mix is at least 12 years old. Then the mix is re-casked to marry together and released. But yeah basically every age stated whiskey has sat in a barrel that long! It doesn't age once bottled.

>>8382643
I'll put that on my to consider list, what did you think of it? General taste impressions?

>>8382879
Keep it anon, have a taste. It's supposedly quite easy to drink for a newcomer. If you find you like the taste. Try it neat without ice and water first to see what you think. It's got a good reputation and wasn't cheap by the looks of it!
>>
>>8382682
>If you like sherrybombs look around for Glenfarclas 105

This is the thing. I'm more of a peathead and when it comes to sherry bombs the Aberlour a'bunadh from the pic fill my needs for now. I might go for Laphroaig QC instead of the fiddich 18.
>>
>>8382879
I bought one just to try it 2 years ago.
I'm not an expert but I really liked it. Smooth and light in mouth if I can use those words.
I would buy it a second time.
>>
>>8374806
you also added an unnecessary "e" but whatever. Also what so special about the select that makes you wanna go full drunk ?
>>
>>8376305
Kek, this is exactly how I memed myself into whisky. Glenmorangie then Laphroaig 10. Loved the Laph tho.
>>
>>8374994
>BLENDED

You can't make this shit up

>>8375006
Japanese whiskey is extremely underrated.
>>
File: Chivas-12-bottle-top_align.png (837KB, 538x956px) Image search: [Google]
Chivas-12-bottle-top_align.png
837KB, 538x956px
is chivas regal 12 any good?
>>
>>8383229
It's pretty smooth but for the same price you can buy yourself a much better sm.
>>
>>8383231
>for the same price you can buy yourself a much better sm
such as
>>
Had his one day in a restaurant. A bit expensive for me (i'm a poorfag =( ), but i really enjoyed it, really rich, perfume, not to peaty. If i had occcasion, i will certainly buy a bottle !
>>
>>8383257
Glenmorangie 10, Glenlivet 12, Aberlour 10, Glenfiddich 12 to name a few...to be honest I can't think of a SM I've had in this price range wich wasn't as good or better than Chivas 12.

>>8383389 see >>8382212
Definitely worth it.
>>
What's the most you've ever spent on a single bottle of Whiskey?
>>
>>8381983
check out ardbeg, lagavulin bowmore, caol ila and bruichladdich for more campfire in a glass.
>>
How should one drink whiskey? Is it true that i can feel the taste of smoke in Scottish whiskey? I have only tried Jameson mixed with cola just to get myself drunk. Now i want to feel the taste of whiskey. What would you recommend?
>>
File: whiskymap.jpg (53KB, 434x543px) Image search: [Google]
whiskymap.jpg
53KB, 434x543px
>>8383506
>Is it true that i can feel the taste of smoke in Scottish whiskey?

The taste will (most of the time) depend on the region. Ralfy has nice serie of videos where he presents every regions.

Highland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTHbfi7w3sU

Speyside:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJsOZwEnYX4

Lowland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItH3tapyQC4

Highland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WtI1OJeN-c

Islay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2UVmcrp3Nk

Kintyre (Campeltown):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY9VBtHtSEI&t=7s
>>
So few bourbons! Still expanding my scotch palate, but just bought a bottle of corner creek bourbon, while still having half a handle at the house because i just can't run out of it, i like it that much. +1 on the Japanese whiskeys, buddy had some of the hibichi distillery smoky and salty and a sweet and something that were sublime. (I guess you could call then Sprint runs, he got them direct from the distillery) That and that smoky one that starts with L that i won't even try to spell. A hell of a good introduction to scotch.
>>
>>8383480
I spent 100 bucks on the 2016 Laphroaig Cairdeas
>>
I'm about to go out on a whim in the next hour and buy my first bottle of whisky. Probably scotch, but I'm not sure. I was thinking Glenfiddich 15 or Highland Park 12 just because a friend recommended them. If somebody gives a decent recommendation I may change my mind. I really don't know what I'm doing here. I just want to enjoy a few slow drinks tonight.
>>
>>8383480
Don't like to spend more than $60-$70.
>>
>>8383651
Alright well if nobody answers in the next few minutes I'm going out. Will report back with my purchase
>>
>>8383480
55€ on a canadian maple whisky. My GF and the vendors put too much pressures on me, and the whiky wasn't that bad.
>>
>>8383664
Your friend's recommendations are fine.
>>
>>8383664
I'd say give monkey shoulder a try. It's cheap (~$25) and tastes great.
Someone in here said it's a great introductory scotch.
>>
>>8383651
>Highland Park 12
that was my first whisky, worked out fine for me
>>
Lahfroyg
>>
What's the best bang for the buck whiskey? I don't really drink often, but kinda want to buy myself a bottle to sip during the weekends. I'm a complete noob so I don't know where to start.

Preferably in a smaller bottle since I don't drink on the reg. Budget of like 20-30 bucks lol just to get my feet wet.
>>
>>8383762
I dunno where you live, but in terms of smaller bottles (that they sell to alcoholics) JW Black would be my pick, although reports say quality has gone downhill recently. If I were you I'd buy some kind of entry level single malt or quality bourbon, standard size bottle. It'll keep just fine.
>>
File: 20161218_173002-1.jpg (459KB, 1989x1703px) Image search: [Google]
20161218_173002-1.jpg
459KB, 1989x1703px
>>8383678
Thanks for the recommendation anon. Cost more around $30 but it definitely popped out more to me than the others. Marketing man. Here's to a new hobby. I hope I like it lol
>>
>>8383790
I think you'll like it. I think I paid 26 bucks at total wine but everything is cheaper there. My local liquor store prices scotch $5-15 more than total wine.
>>
>>8377163
glenlivet 12 is my personal favorite. delicious
>>
I work in a liquor store in Virginia. Our prices are retarded high. I need to make a trip up to DC or Maryland. I'm technically management and I think the entire public liquor store thing is dumb as fuck.

Favorite gin : Bombay Sapphire, but I haven't tried Hendricks yet
Favorite vodka: Sobieski
Favorite bourbon: Old Granddad 114
Favorite brandy: E&J XO, unless you count Cognac.
Favorite scotch: Laphroaig QC
Favorite blended whiskey: Crown Royal is pretty good, but it's the only one I've had.
>>
>>8380014
Do you have any that are sitting for the long haul, though? I would. Make an extra barrel every few batches to let age until you're old and crusty.
>>
Just tried this today. It's fucking amazing, especially if you like smokey scotch.
>>
File: cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg (92KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg
92KB, 960x1280px
>>8383672
I love Sortilege, in spite of what some folks say.
>>
Sucks being a poorfag and liking good booze.

>>8374797
I'll never forget the day I went into the shop only to discover that Laphroaig 12 jumped up $15-20 in price. Used to be a great ~$35-40 bottle. Fuck millennials.

>>8374994
As a broke-ass Islay peathead I get this from time to time, but it's always a disappointment. I don't know if Black Bottle still exists because it hasn't been available in my area for years, but if you get a chance try that instead.

>>8376424
If you've only had the 12 YO, Highland Park 18 and 25 are amazing whiskies. I'll always have a soft spot for the brand. So smooth, but not lacking any flavor.

>>8376867
Don't be jelly. Tali is a great whisky, I would be much more jealous if my friend had got either Tali or 'Phroaig and I had got Balvenie.

>>8377018
Had the intro-level Yamazaki bottling several years ago, was my only experience with Japanese whiskey. I enjoyed it well enough, but you can get much nicer Scotch single malts for the price. Would like to try more but they're fairly pricey where I live.

>>8377442
Beautiful, beautiful whisky.

>>8381972
How many square feet of the distillery do you own now?

>>8383229
If it's on sale, yes. For standard pricing, I'd choose something else. It's not bad whiskey, just overpriced compared to a good single malt. I feel the same way about Johnny Walker.

>>8383389
I stretched a bottle of A'bunadh out for about half a year a while back. I think it's one of those perfect whiskies to buy when you get a Christmas bonus or something and then stretch it out for several months. It's not really that expensive so you don't even notice you invested in it, and it's flavorful enough that you don't get tempted to drink it too fast.

>>8383678
It's good, but has a very abrupt finish. I always end up downing the bottle way too quickly.
>>
>>8383790
>>8383824

Welp... I don't like it. Pretty hard to tolerate. I don't know, I like whisky cocktails but straight scotch is tough. Even with water its tough. I guess I'm just not used to drinks with no sweetness. Whatever. I'm 21 and have a lot of time to learn to enjoy it. I'll just keep the bottle around and give it another shot whenever I have the urge.
>>
>>8384381
That's not unusual. A drinker's tastes usually changes as you age. At 40, Laphroaig will probably taste like water to you.
>>
>>8384255
>talisker

Yeah, my brother brought a bottle of Taliskers for me when he went to scotland on business. A nice smokey peat flavor. Surprisingly, amerifats can actually think about other people occasionally and give them a gift that they know you'll appreciate. It was the best scotch I've ever had.
>>
>>8384381
yikes, that's easily the most friendly scotch I've had to date. At least you didn't spend a ton of money. If you're anything like me your tastes will change substantially over the next 5-10 years. I've only been drinking for 6 years but when I started (21, late bloomer) I didn't want to taste the booze either.

Jameson is a very inoffensive Irish Whisky that you could use as a measuring stick of sorts. Maybe every 6 months when you're out order a Jameson on the rocks or neat. If you don't enjoy it then no big deal. If you find yourself starting to enjoy it then maybe it's time to give scotch another chance.
>>
>>8384381
This is a good attitude to have anon. Also the bottle with get easier to drink the longer it's been open. Give it another shot in like a year. It'll probably taste smoother.>>8384389
>>That's not unusual. A drinker's tastes usually changes as you age. At 40, Laphroaig will probably taste like water to you.
If you're looking for an easy whiskey to drink (as opposed to a scotch whisky) try Jamesons. Irish whiskey is usually triple distilled (scotch is only double distilled) which makes it more drinkable for some people. Plus Jamesons is cheap because they're making it in MASSIVE quantities these days. like >>8384440 is saying.

>>8384389
>That's not unusual. A drinker's tastes usually changes as you age. At 40, Laphroaig will probably taste like water to you.
Don't say that! I hope laphroaig always has that character to me.
>>
File: cK81y.jpg (63KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
cK81y.jpg
63KB, 720x960px
Currently ingesting this beautiful liquid. "Freetown Amber", they call it.
>>
>>8381852
Yes.

I drink all of my Single Malts 3 parts Coke, 1 part Whisky.

Though Lagavulin 18 goes better with Dr.Pepper.
>>
>>8384813
I refuse to believe this is a real product sold in stores.
>>
>>8377059

Ireland
>>
>>8374797
i love that stuff, has such a kick to it
>>
>>8385073
I only drink cask strength Irish, the regular stuff is too boring.
>>
>>8382212
Is that the 60% strong one? If so I've tried and thoroughly enjoyed it
>>
So I was in the supermarket today and they had a Glenfiddich 12 for £25. The 15 was £40, which is perhaps too rich for me. But I was tempted. I'll be back there tomorrow should I take the plunge?
>>
>>8385255
It's the 60.7, batch 54.
>>
One time I was at a party at a mansion as a kid and my friend stole a few bottles of the owners priciest liquors. It was pretty funny looking back. A couple of teenage retards trying to take shots of decades old cask strength scotch out of the bottle and chasing it with gatorade. Bottles that would probably make people ITT jelly. Good times. Worst hangover of my life though
>>
>>8385883
Take the plunge on the 15. There's a world of difference between the 12 and the 15, and an extra £15 is a small price to pay for the leap in quality.
>>
>>8385964
This is one of the biggest fears if I ever become a parent.

I can't stomach the thought of my retard teenage kid and their retarded teenage friends mixing my pricy single malts with coke.
>>
File: 1424911766682.gif (3MB, 240x300px) Image search: [Google]
1424911766682.gif
3MB, 240x300px
>>8385979
>tfw they try to refill it with water so you don't notice but you do notice and would have rather they just took some and didn't ruin the rest of the bottle with water but its too late now because the bottle is already 1/3 water

real dad stories
>>
>>8386010
I'm so sorry for your loss.
>>
>>8385979
buy vodka as a decoy
>>
File: brbon_mak1.jpg (70KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
brbon_mak1.jpg
70KB, 540x720px
just starting out drinking. for whiskey, i've only triedd jack daniels and this. what else should i try next?
>>
>>8386010
kek. Did this with my grandfather's quart bottle of vodka he kept in the pantry when we visited every 2 weeks. I'd go in and take swigs and add water afterward. One day I overdid it and took probably a little over half a pint, and he started accusing my mom and aunts of watering down his vodka so he wouldn't get drunk. I just squirmed in my chair and tried to think of a more skillfull technique. That was when I was 15 years old.
>>
>>8386549
I enjoy makers mark as a cheap and tasty whiskey to drink with ice, I think it's worth a try, definitely beats JD
>>
I want to get my dad some decent whiskey for christmas

problem is, he sometimes has it straight, sometimes has it with diet coke, so what is a good whiskey which adds to the flavour of coke?

i don't want to get him a shit bottle, as my mum recently died.
>>
>>8386549
For each $10 range there's generally one whiskey that blows the fuck out of its competition.
$10-20: Evan Williams
$20-30: WT101
$30-40: Your picture
>>
>>8386592
Bulleit Bourbon or Buffalo Trace.

They're both wonderful on their own or mixed with coke. I wouldn't buy him a single malt, because they're tailor made to be enjoyed on their own. A good bourbon can add to a mix just as well as it can stand on its own.
>>
>>8386592
>>8386657
Also, I'm sorry to hear about your mum.

It might seem worthless but I'll have a drink in memory of Anon's mum when I get home tonight.
RIP
>>
how is woodford reserve
>>
>>8386693
On par with bulleit, not worth the extra coinage
>>
>>8384813
Sierra Leone's finest
>>
>>8383480
You know what sucks? The most expensive bottle I've ever bought is fucking Blue Label. What shit.

The most expensive bottle I've bought and not regretted is probably Ardbeg Supernova.
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 384x384px
Opened this in October, haven't had any since. Will probably try it again on Xmas eve.
>>
>>8384056

thread was too long and didn't read but tried to post this same image. it's marvellous. knocked memphroaig QC off the top of the sweet, smokey scotch charts. I would like a higher ABV. that's my only criticism.
>>
Is Bulleit a meme? Really don't like it compared to other similarly priced bourbons
>>
>>8388539
Yes it's a meme it's super overpriced and low quality.
BT and EW BiB blows it out of the water
>>
>>8388539
The only other similarly priced bourbon is Jom Beam and it blows that out of the water. The bulleit rye is better than the bourbon, though.
>>
>tfw I get gifted whisky every year
>tfw I've never bought a bottle for myself

Looking forward to what I get this year. It's never anything super expensive a Glenn 12 or 15 is about the most of it.

I've never put myself forward to people as a whisky drinker (and prior to this gift giving began I wasn't a whisky drinker barring the odd jack and coke now and again) so I don't know how this tradition started. But it's welcome anyway.
>>
is Johnnie Walker Green label good for $50?

I recently tried blue label for the first time and my mind was blown. Given it was the only whiskey other than jack daniels, makers, and jameson that ive ever had.

Since I loved blue label, what else do you anons think id like?
>>
>>8388659
>I recently tried blue label for the first time and my mind was blown
Try Lagavulin 16 and realize how its actually just a stone in the pond.
>>
>>8388621
You sound like a swell and grateful guy. I'd hang out with you.
>>
>>8388659
>tfw I skipped a work outing where an exec brought a bottle of blue label to share
>>
>>8388659
I personally think blends are a huge waste of money and while they're good enough to drink if free I can't recommend buying one because especially at the $50 pricepoint you'll get 3:1 for your money buying single malts.

My personal favorite is Laphroaig, but it's more intense and harsh than you might be looking for and my recommendation for an entry level smoother/sweeter single malt would be Glenmorangie 10.
>>
>>8377442
true
>>
>>8388926
couldn't agree more with this.
>>
>>8386592

Sorry for your loss. Bufflo trace already recommended to you. Great bourbon, wouldn't mix it myself but for the price it's a great deal.
>>
>>8374797

>pretentious x10000

How is everyone pronouncing Islay here?
>>
>>8389287

I-La

or fuck off
>>
>>8389287
Eye-lah for Islay
Spy-side for Speyside
>>
How do you pick new stuff to try? I've tried maybe 5 whiskys, lifetime, I can never quite commit to buying a bottle of stuff I'm not sure I'll like
>>
>>8389358
Read reviews, buy things on a whim. If you don't like it then it just makes the return to the standby better.
>>
>>8389287
I-lay, obviously.
>>
>>8389405
*lie
>>
>>8388773
thanks for the suggestion, I might give it a try depending on it's availability in my area.
>>8388778
that sucks, my girlfriend's dad bought a bottle for thanksgiving, between himself and i, we finished the whole thing in a weekend, just pouring small glass after glass. It was fantastically smooth.
>>8388926
thanks for your recc's, I love smoother whiskeys, so I'll probably try the glenmorangie 10 first if its available in my area.

I don't know if id prefer "sweet" whiskey, I dont know yet if i prefer the sour or "campfire" smokey taste yet, but I do really appreciate a smooth whiskey. I can say i actually hate Rye Bourbon a lot, I just remembered how awful Bulliet Rye was
>>
Is there any "good" whiskey I could buy for like 40 bucks?
>>
File: 1469662199696.jpg (15KB, 480x467px) Image search: [Google]
1469662199696.jpg
15KB, 480x467px
>>8389420
buy 4L of canadian windsor
>>
>>8389420
Maker's Mark is $30 if we're talking fifths
>>
File: Groceries.png (515KB, 380x571px) Image search: [Google]
Groceries.png
515KB, 380x571px
The most I've ever spent on a bottle of alcohol was $34 on a bottle of four roses single barrel and I don't even feel like it's better than my standby of bulliet bourbon, the alcohol taste seems to mask everything aside from a slightly sweet oak taste. I'm ready to give scotch a try.

Are there any sub $40 bottles of scotch that are good?
>>
>>8386549

The first thing you should learn is not to feel bad for drinking cheaper whiskeys with ice. Only cunts give you shit for drinking with ice unless we're talking upper to top-shelf stuff.
>>
What's a good bang for your buck whiskey in UK?
>>
Does it make me a pussy that the burn from whisky puts me off? I don't really understand how people sip neat firewater. I don't mind the taste.
>>
>>8389525

Add ice and yes, I suppose, in a way, it makes you a pussy but you either get used to the burn, it fades away or you move onto other more pleasant things to drink.
>>
>>8389499
Buffalo Trace. Best value for money you'll get, and Asda regularly has it on offer for under £20.
>>
>>8389466
>>8389446
Thanks I'll try both these. Never had a really good whiskey before.
>>
>>8389542
Never seen it in any supermarket here.
>>
>>8389634
I'm not aware of any Asda which doesn't sell it.

Tesco generally sells it too, but usually at a couple of quid more than elsewhere. Maybe you just haven't seen it because you've not been looking for it.
>>
>>8389358
reviews and recommendations.
I went out and bought 6 new bottles of scotch that I'd never tried before (all $50 or less) after reading a dozen best budget scotch articles and a couple whisky threads. I went with the ones that were mentioned the most often and sounded the most appealing. I've found two that I really like, one that I'm up in the air about, one that I just plain did not like (mixed to kill the bottle) and have yet to try the remaining two. Now that I'm developing a sense of what I like I'll be able to find more whisky in that style.
>>
>>8390441
>I've found two that I really like, one that I'm up in the air about, one that I just plain did not like (mixed to kill the bottle) and have yet to try the remaining two.

Different anon, what were they, in order? I'm curious if I've tried them too.
>>
>>8390452
I added a couple of other bottles (that I had bought before doing any research) to the list.

>Really liked
Glenlivet 12
Moneky Shoulder

>So-So
Glen Moray Classic (blindly bought on a whim. I didn't even know what kind of whisky I was buying at the time)

>Undecided
JW Double Black

>Did not like
Pig's Nose
Famous Grouse (bought because it was my friend's dad's whisky of choice)

>Yet to try
Balvenie 12 Doublewood
Glenmorangie 10
>>
hey guys, do I drink cognac straight like whiskey? Just feel like drinking trying out some hennessey laying around.
>>
>>8390614
You can try but 'gnac kinda sucks in general.
>>
>>8390599
Balvenie 12 is a beautiful after-dinner whisky, best enjoyed with or after your dessert.

Tastes like sweetly spiced sticky toffee pudding.
>>
>>8390614
Cognac is just brady from the area cognac right? Either i got some cheap business class tickets a while back and there was self serve cognac at the waiting room. Drank it neat and was pretty nice. Similar to whiskey, made from triple distillation of wine i think
>>
>>8390760
Brandy*
>>
>>8390614
I bought a bottle of Hennessy out of pure curiosity, and it's terrible.
I tried to like it but its incomparable to any alcohol I actually enjoy.
>>
>>8388057
I've tried a bunch of Johnny Walkers and they all taste bad. Like badly mixed. I enjoy single malts and some blends but I've never gotten the appeal of JW. I've tried the blue black platinum golds etc. The shit that's like $500 a bottle and I'd still prefer a $40 single malt.

Is JW a meme? Or is it worth it? All I can see is the marketing, if people think it's expensive they buy it as gifts for people who don't know shit?
>>
File: talob.non12.jpg (442KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
talob.non12.jpg
442KB, 900x1200px
Its almost as if you all don't even drink whisky. There's no "e" in it for a start.
>>
>>8389358
go to a bar, as the bartender for recs, failing that find a place that lets you sample and try as many as you can. some airports have tasting bars. Some liquor stores do too. Again failing that, hit a whisky bar, or go to a festival/convention if you have any near you, they're usually well worth it.

I've got a local liqour store that has a tasting bar and I go everyone 2 months or so and drop in and see if they have anything new. And if anything is really impressive I buy it. The last time I was there the guy actually recommended me a rum that was fucking fantastic and I'm not usually a rum drinker. But he had my taste down so well he got me to buy two bottles of a rum.

The problem is a lot of whisky will taste different depending on how long it's been open. So you might go try something that doesn't taste great because the bar has had half a bottle for five years because nobody drinks whisky in that area. So you'll think a brand is bad because you tried it and it was no good. It's a minefield sometimes. Best thng to do is find what characteristics you like in your drink and hunt around for those and read reviews then try and taste it before you commit to buying a bottle.

Or just do what all the cool kids do and buy laphroaig.
>>
>>8390599
I liked the balevenie double wood, but I preferred the Caribbean cask. They're both kinda average tier though.
>>
No love for Oban?
It's a cozy little town in the Highlands right at the sea and I think their Scotch reflects that pretty well.
>>
>>8391570
>There's no "e" in it
Irish and american whiskey isn't invalid just because you insist on being a narrow minded elitist.

They're all very different varieties with very different tastes. You're denying yourself a world of experience by refusing to acknowledge the world outside your stubborn bubble.
>>
File: Kilchoman-Sanaig-1024x1024.jpg (103KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Kilchoman-Sanaig-1024x1024.jpg
103KB, 1024x1024px
>>8374797
Barkeeper noted what we were drinking and recommended this. Was on point af.
>>
>>8391570
ackshyually I think you'll find the original gaelic "uisge" does in fact contain an "e"
>>
>>8391845

There are three excellent, but very different, pubs at the harbour in Oban.

I've been in all of them, and they're all quite different.

When I was in the one in the middle, there was a guy rolling a joint at the bar, openly in front of everyone, bar staff included, and no-one was giving a fuck.

Very chilled place.
>>
>>8391570
I've been drinking end trying whisky for some months now, never stumbled upon an 'e' in my drink, so I guess you're right.
>>
>>8390614
Update:

I tried to drink this last night and it was terrible. Don't know why its so popular with African Americans. Maybe its better mixed with something.
>>
File: worker.jpg (180KB, 604x920px) Image search: [Google]
worker.jpg
180KB, 604x920px
I prefer johnnie worker black labia personally but this one is good too
>>
>>8392526
It's insane to me that people buy black label because it costs the same as single malts but just tastes like water
>>
File: rittenhouse-lrg-upd.png (72KB, 151x425px) Image search: [Google]
rittenhouse-lrg-upd.png
72KB, 151x425px
I like Rittenhouse but I've only had cheap stuff
>>
>>8392526
gave me a good laff
>>
when I was a kid and we stole liquor, JD was considered gross and strong.

Now I sip it and it's watery.

That being said, I don't think it was 40% ABV then.
>>
>>8383850

Heh, im a drink-liking guy in VA too. I dont find the ABCs that terrible, its just that selection will be limited. For annything out-there you should just search one of those compiler sites and find something in DC, theyre easy to use.

Also, Hendricks is a meme. Maybe 25% better than Bombay, but probably not even, and more than double price. What you want is Leopold Bros Navy Strength. Regular is good too but Navy strength gives like 56% alcohol and its still just as smooth. Leopold is literally Grey Goose tier smooth but gin, this is not easy to do and they are underpriced at 40-45 per bottle. I pray some fancy asshole doesnt find them as they are a small Colorado outfit, but thats the junk you gotta try. Last i checked i was able to buy some in the ABC off Duke St in Alexandria, though once again try the internet compiler sites.
>>
I can usually handle some really strong alcohol, I even like just straight up gin on rocks, but for some reason i can't stomach this by itself, even with water, will a lot of ice making it cold tone it down or should I make an old fashioned or something
>>
>>8392693
It's good
>>
>>8391565
It's all meh. I'd never buy another bottle.
>>
I mostly drink this stuff because it's $15 for 1.5 L, it's 43%, and it tastes good enough.
>>
>>8391565
>Is JW a meme?
Yuppers
>>
So I'm completely new to alcohol, but can anyone recommend any soft) lighter/sweet whiskey/skotch? I guess I'll use it to mix coke, since apparently that's what you're supposed to do. Anything 40$> is fair game
>>
>>8393983
Just give up and drink Southern Comfort or one of the honey whiskey products.
>>
>>8393983
Jura is light/prerrt sweet for scotch

Please dont mix it though
>>
>>8393983

Force feed yourself 5 bottles of Laphroaig. You'll never care about harsh flavours again.

I'm not joking, this is how I got into Islay scotch.
>>
>>8393996
>>8374797
Laphroig is a meme whiskey

Something more subtle like Caol Ila is 20 times better
>>
>>8394023
You mean Ardbeg. Caol Ila reminds me of Johnny Walker too much
>>
>>8377275
Are you using a bottle of toilet cleaner?
>>
>>8394023
>Laphroaig is a meme whiskey
Get fucked. Something being widely appreciated for being good doesn't make it a fucking meme.
>>
>>8393990
>>8393991
>>8393996
>>8394023
Okay well what are considered"beginner"whiskey's/skotch?
>>
>>8394103
Bourbon is the beginner's whiskey. Buffalo Trace is your best price to quality ratio for cheaper bourbon.

If you want a starter scotch, something smooth like Balvenie 12, Glenfiddich 15 or Glengoyne are your best bets. Unlike bourbon, decent scotch doesn't really come cheap.
>>
Is Hibiki Harmony good or trash? I'm looking for beginners whisky. This one's blended though. It's half the price of the 12 year old. My first drink is Bundaberg UP Rum and was hard to stomach but I managed to finish the bottle.

I wanna try a fruity and not so expensive whisky. Any alternatives? Is Hibiki Harmony bad? The Bundy Rum was horrible.
>>
>>8394103
Starter scotch for me us something like glenfiddich, glenmorangie, glenlivet or jura. Glenkichie is nice and light too

If you are going to mix with cola then dont bother, just get grouse or some other blend shit

>>8394080
> muh liquid smoke water
No need to get angry that your whiskey is a meme mate. Fork out a bit extra and get a lagu which is actually slightly balanced
>>
>>8394139
> chink whisky
Ew
Soulless just like the people
>>
>>8394023

don't type meme, ever. absolutely don't type meme and whiskey in the same sentence. and thirdly, don't pretend that things you've heard about more than once are ubiquitous or 'meme' in your fucked up brain. stop hating common things. jesus I hate this generation.
>>
>>8394139
Balvenie 12, anCnoc 12
>>
>>8394141
The problem is you using the retarded label of "meme" to describe something you don't like.

Lagavulin is put on an unreasonable pedestal for what it is, as well. You don't know shit.
>>
>>8394165

Lagavulin 16 is smooth. It is a night reading your favourite novel in front of a nice hardwood fire in a den you couldn't afford, in a leather chair you couldn't afford. Lagavulin is the cheapest, best Islay you will ever taste. It's not a fucking 'meme'.
>>
>>8394174
>cheapest

u wot ma8
>>
>>8394141
How much do you pay for Jura?
>>
File: vodka.jpg (150KB, 1600x1200px)
vodka.jpg
150KB, 1600x1200px
>>8377275

Build a proper boka still. You can pot still and also fractional distillate booze.
>>
File: Macallan.jpg (247KB, 971x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Macallan.jpg
247KB, 971x1024px
>>8394147
He's not wrong though. Laphroig is what people say to try and convince others they know what they are talking about.

Too much peat. It's a bit of an aquired taste even for scotch drinkers.

My favourite is the Macallan 18 year old fine oak. Unfortunately impossible to find any longer. Yamazaki is now my go to.
>>
>>8394175

Quality/price.
>>
>>8394178

I've drank that exact bottle. It might as well be courvoisier in its caramel and fruity flavours. I can't stand scotch that is more brandy than a german brandy.
>>
>>8394174
I never called it a meme, but you're demonstrating what I said about it being placed on a ridiculous pedestal perfectly.
>>
>>8394186

It deserves to be called great for the price because it is. If you want to have a shitfit about that, fine. Have your tizzy. It's good for the money, that's it, that's all. Grow up.
>>
>>8394176
Roundabout £28, think its Jura Origin the one im talking about. Been a few years

>>8394165
Lagu is also a meme whiskey but well deserved, it can actually back up its meme status. Being a meme is not neccessarily a bad thing, i dont know why it angers you so
>>
>>8394201

why do you assholes use the word meme? I just fucking hate people who type meme. They're like valley girls but less respected.
>>
>>8394187
I'm calm, anon. You seem unhealthily riled by the fact someone dares to question your sacred elixir, though.
>>
>>8394206

Take things to extreme then, for your own interest I guess. Tell me the next thing I can get upset radicalized about.
>>
>>8394178
Macallan tastes like flat Coke. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>8394141
If you're going to call other whisky a meme you can't rattle off every bottle that starts with Glen you fucking dolt.
>>
>>8376305
You wouldn't like Ardbeg 10 year then ha.
>>
>>8375006
How do you not end up finishing the bottle after one? I don't understand.
>>
Whisky and soda: y/n?

I've been reading a lot of old fashioned, snobby british stuff, and they drink a lot of it. I thought they'd be all about purity.
>>
>>8394417
He is asking for a starter whiskey you fucking bellwhiff
>>
>>8394417
Glen is actual a very old scottish slang word for "supreme deluxe" and every scotch without it in the name is not worth noting anyhow desu senpai.
>>
>>8394494
Not being a nigger would help
>>
>>8376305
Its not smoke.. its PEAT from the moss around the area it was distilled. Learn something.
>>
>>8394775
>this tastes really peaty.
This is why Americans shouldn't bother with single malts.
>>
>>8394546
Depends

Scottish whiskeys are generally intended to be tasted as-is, neat or with a drop of water

Bourbons and Tennessee whisky are a little less friendly neat (but by no means unpalatable) and often make very good mixed drinks, there's a reason JD and coke is popular with normies

Irish whisky is invariably garbage, don't buy it
>asspained paddies incoming
>>
File: kagu_jin.png (11KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
kagu_jin.png
11KB, 800x500px
>>8394178
I prefer Laphroaig 10 to Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg Uigeadail get fucked nerd
>>
File: Fuck_39c6ef_2899562.jpg (55KB, 548x331px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck_39c6ef_2899562.jpg
55KB, 548x331px
>>8394785
>>
>>8394865
Isn't Drumpff going to make that a criminal offence?
>>
>>8394872

It already is one, but nobody ever bothers to enforce it.
>>
>>8394817
> anime reaction image
> godawful pleb opinion
The state of you
>>
>people unironically calling laphroaig a "meme" because it has a strong acquired taste and they can't immediately guzzle it like coke
It doesn't even mean anything any more.
>>
>>8394872
>drumpf

you gotta go back. also its a horrible looking knock off flag, so no. Still mad bernie bent the knee to hillary?
>>
>>8394918
Not even slightly
I wuite enjoy it but that doesnt mean its a meme whisky
>>
>>8394926
Just celebrating his European roots, anon.
Don't get so butthurt, it's unbecoming.
>>
I've tried a bunch of different ones and keep coming back to The Macallan 10yo.
>>
>>8376867
I just got a bottle, will see how it is.

Anyone else here have recommendations for smooth/sweet scotches? I remember I had one years ago that tasted like jolly ranchers. Normally I prefer a smokey scotch for myself, but when I share it with company I prefer something that is easy to share with others that don't usually have scotch.
>>
>>8394926
Jesus, it doesn't take anything for /pol/tards to get triggered, does it
>>
File: 1482178589290.jpg (130KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1482178589290.jpg
130KB, 720x960px
>>8395905
/pol/ newfags no, you can trigger them easily because they're the ones who act like /pol/ in real life. I've been there long enough to know that the rest of the world isn't like /pol/ yet.
>>
>>8394552
Start him with something good then. If he starts drinking any of that shit he'll think scotch all tastes like candy and syrup.
>>
Looking to give a nice whiskey as a Christmas gift.
The person of interest likes Crown Royal a lot, but I kinda want to give a little more.
Any suggestions for similar whiskeys for someone who downs Crown?
>>
>>8396663
addendum: no scotch
>>
>>8394494
You might not be cut out for enjoying alcohol responsibly
>>
>>8381998
Others go the other way, that was like Ardbeg with me, opened it and got that wonderful vanilla beach fire thing going on, after a couple of weeks it tasted like foul swamp water. Lagavulin on the other hand, when I had my first sip, I disliked it, but god that stuff grew on me, so fucking tasty.
>>
>>8382212
What's this stuff like compared to normal Aberlour? I tried the normal one and was thoroughly displeased with it.
>>
>>8382980
in JW case, the age is the oldest in the bottle, it's fucking dogshit crap, their red is like, the minimum 2 or 3 years mixed with almost all clear spirits. And none of them get much better after that.
>>
>>8393983
Jamesons it you're totally new, it's cheap and relatively smooth. Collingwood if you want something that tastes good mixed with coke is a good starter.

A lot of canadian whiskey is a lot lighter and easier to drink. Irish stuff is usually triple distilled which makes it relatively smoother than scottish stuff in general which has more 'character' ie. usually has stronger more divisive flavours.

As >>8393990 said you can get honey whiskeys which are a good entry point. Irish Mist is pretty much the best one. If you're just getting in avoiding bourbons might be a good idea, but that's just my personal preference, you might like them.

In general though, especially here, if you say you're going to mix it, people are going to suggest garbage drinks that don't taste very good, but when you drown them in coke you'll still get drunk. Whisky is usually a drink for flavour rather than effect kinda thing. So if you just want to mix it, you might as well throw vodka in a coke or whatever. But as stated before, Canadian stuff (crown royal, collingwood, canadian club) is good for mixing, very subtle and inoffensive.
>>
File: hibs.png (1MB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
hibs.png
1MB, 1000x750px
>>8394139
Hibiki is alright. It was a bit harsh at first but I let my bottle breathe for a few weeks and it tasted a LOT better afterwards. It's a little sweet and honestly, if it's cheap I'd say go for it. The more whiskys you try the better a taste for them you'll have. And if you don't like the bottle, don't struggle to finish it, leave it and come back to it, they change taste over time. And you palette will change too, so something you dislike now you might really like in a year or two, and the taste will mellow/change if you leave the bottle after opening it.

The Yamazaki 12 is a lot nicer (single malt as opposed to the Hib which is a blend). Haven't opened the Master select yet but I'm presuming it'll just be a slightly better slect of blends and be an improved version of the regular. I'm toying with buying a bottle of Toki though since I enjoyed Hibiki.

>>8394143
>trash opinion.
Ew.
Trash person.

C'mon anon, all whisky is worth trying. The suntory guys learned everything and bought all their gear from scotland anyway, their technique is almost exactly the same. Learn your shit. The only difference is regional ingredients and weather.
>>
>>8397060
>Others go the other way, that was like Ardbeg with me, opened it and got that wonderful vanilla beach fire thing going on, after a couple of weeks it tasted like foul swamp water

Yeah it's why I really recommend leaving a glass out for the night, I've found that it's a good indicator of what happens, and if you find it gets worse you can drink it before it happens! It's a small thing, but there's nothing worse than coming back to a bottle you really liked and finding out you've got half a bottle of shite and then you begin questioning whether you really liked it at all first time round and it fucks with you.
>>
File: 1404716849507.jpg (35KB, 478x598px) Image search: [Google]
1404716849507.jpg
35KB, 478x598px
>tfw got started on bourbon
>tfw dabbled in irish
>tfw began a love affair with scotch
>tfw had a summer romance with japanese
>tfw recently learned about the only whisky distillery in wales
The only one I haven't tried is Canadian.

I don't care about competition. I just love every last drop of this amber nectar regardless of from where it may hail.
>>
>>8383536
I'm a poorfag who's only experience with peated whisky is Teacher's. I don't want to jump straight to Laphroaig right away. Can you recommend me something in the middle of the peaty spectrum?
>>
>>8388555
IIRC Bulleit's rye is stuff they rebottle from a distillery in Indiana that also supplies rye to a lot of other brands.
>>
>>8397182
Bunnahabhain
>>
File: lot40_largebottle.png (182KB, 250x601px) Image search: [Google]
lot40_largebottle.png
182KB, 250x601px
Whisky noob here.

What does whis/ck/(e)y think about my choice at the local liquor store tonight?

I heard it's supposed to be good or something.

Good for sipping neat?
>>
>>8397195
Better than falling for the Whistlepig meme. Not bad but a little overpriced.

Of course you sip it.
>>
File: everclear1.jpg (116KB, 575x766px) Image search: [Google]
everclear1.jpg
116KB, 575x766px
>>8397204
> Of course you sip it.
Yes, of course.

My previous spirits choices (rum and brandy) were lambasted on al/ck/y as mixing liquor, and al/ck/ has really low standards.

I still drank them neat and enjoyed them.
>>
>>8397217
Al/ck/ has low standards but you shouldn't listen to anything they have to say about intake methods. They don't care about shit as long as it gets into their bloodstream somehow.
>>
>>8397182
Caol Isla, Talisker.
>>
>>8382250
Main reason why people are hating on NAS whisky.

Its not that they can't be incredible, but you might pay 100 bucks for something that is mostly 3-8 year old whisky. If they were transparent about it then they really couldn't sell it for that price.

I'd imagine that the profit margins on the NAS whiskies must be massive compared to most 12+ year olds.
Thread posts: 298
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.