[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aspics and jell-o salads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Now's the time for suicide.jpg (197KB, 520x628px) Image search: [Google]
Now's the time for suicide.jpg
197KB, 520x628px
Have you ever had an aspic or jell-o salad (not the decent kind like cherry surprise or whatever else)

Why did people eat this shit? Is it actually not as gut-wrenching as it looks?
>>
It used to be made with actual sugar and was genuinely a good desert food, instead of a gross slimy goo.
>>
Mother whips up a shrimp aspic around Thanksgiving/Christmas, though hasn't done so as of late.

Don't know exactly what's in it, though I know it involves gelatin, shrimp, tomato soup and celery. It's a legit mid-century-modern housewife recipe, handed down.

It's more like a spread than a Jello. I always enjoyed it on Triscuits.
>>
>>8371692
Take another look at the image.

It's got shrimp in it... olives... tomatoes... and chunks of fucking cheese.
>>
>>8371697
Stranger combinations of food have been found to be delicious.
Not by much, but still.
>>
>>8371697
>shrimp

That's celery.
>>
>>8371705
I don't see very well, but that still sounds bad.

>>8371694
It isn't awful?
>>
>>8371725
No, I enjoy it quite a bit.

It's basically a nice savory spread.
>>
>jell-o salad
pfft
>>
A lot of these outlandish 50s-70s dishes were just invented by marketing depts once they figured out housewives were easy targets for advertising. "You, too could be the talk of the next dinner party, if you cook with Jello(tm)." Taste was never a concern, and yes, most of it is mediocre to bad, yet their efforts were still so successful that there now exists an entire wing of traditional American cooking that coincidentally revolves around specific packaged products. The Campbells(tm) Cream of Mushroom green bean caserole, for example.
One of the ugliest faces of consumerism desu
>>
Looking at julia childs cookbook it seems a lot of aspic dishes used stocks with added gelatine and not just jello like the anons ITT are saying. Still it looks pretty unappealing and I don't doubt that countless children had to suffer from their mothers incompetent attempts at short cutting the stock/jelly preparation.
>>
It might have to do with the lingering effects of WW2 rationing? Sort of like how some candy companies started making chocolate taste more like vomit because soldiers were used to the crappy ones they got, spending a good portion of your life having to live on cheap substitutes (which Jell-O/gelatin was a good portion of) instead of actually good food can cause someone to linger more on crap like this.
>>
My mom still makes it.

Personally not a fan.
>>
Aspic is a savory French dish that fills the gap between a meat stew and a meatloaf. The gel matrix is nothing more than a concentrated stock (the same gelatin in lower concentration is what gives stews their characteristic thickness).

Using powdered gelatin (Jello) significantly reduces the time and skill required to create the dish, at the expense of being significantly blander.

I haven't had it but I suspect fruit suspended in a jello matrix wouldn't be too different from artificially flavored jello or a fruit salad.

Where it gets weird is all the stupid recipes that do unappetizing combinations of the two.
>>
>>8371936
Yeah maybe so. I just found out about the vomit-tasting chocolate in the US recently when I wound up reading about butyric acid. Pretty strange to me, I'm from Canada and here Hershey's for example doesn't add it to their chocolate at all, so it tastes very different compared to what those from the US know.
>>
>>8371975
I can't even right now

>>8372015
Wouldn't the meat in the gelatin be like near ice cold though? It sounds disgusting...
>>
>>8371757
This
Based head cheese has gelatin as a binder. It's great for texture.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.