[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knifes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 35022242247746p.jpg (96KB, 478x478px) Image search: [Google]
35022242247746p.jpg
96KB, 478x478px
Hello /ck/, i would like to get my girlfriend a new chefs knife for christmas, as hers broke from being cheep. She informed me that she would rather have a nice new set instead of just one new Knife. I have no idea where to start. The goal would be a nice set with a fantastic chef Knife. I would like to spend no more then 150(200 Max), but i know what happens when you go cheep. Any recommendations /ck/?
>>
File: 31680.jpg (90KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
31680.jpg
90KB, 1000x1000px
>>8364195
Wusthof, nobody needs all those fucking steak knives like in your picture. It's mid-tier quality, solid durability, life time warranty. Can't go wrong...

...unless she's Jewish; these knives are German as fuck. Pic related is $160 for the set and block.
>>
>>8364219
lol the pic was the first thing that came up when i googled knife set, just needed a thread picture. What are The other knifes on that block?
>>
>>8364234
3-inch Paring Knife
5-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
5-inch Tomato Knife
8-inch Bread Knife
8-inch Chef's Knife
6-slot Acacia Slim Knife Block
Come-Apart Kitchen Shears

here
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/wusthof-gourmet/slim-knife-block-set-p131681?gclid=Cj0KEQiAsrnCBRCTs7nqwrm6pcYBEiQAcQSznA7Tq9UXp3VayhFRev4k4A_JVz1xi2nH6cxbJc4DnuEaAoO-8P8HAQ

Probably cheaper on Amazon
>>
>>8364061
Your thread is a dupe.
>>
Bad idea. I would build my own knife set instead of buying an entire set. She only needs 3 basic knives to do most jobs in the kitchen. A 8-10" chefs knife. A paring knife. And a serrated bread/tomato knife.

What type of chef knife does she want? A german knife is usually bulkier, with a wider blade angle. Great robust edge that are a work horse. Wusthofs or henkels are great as long as you dont buy there bargain line.

Forschner makes a great 8" chef knife but its a pragmatic knife it does not look nearlt as nice as the wusthof.
Jap knives are more delicate and have a finer edge. Shun knives are highquality but expensive.

Then there are chinese knives. Can be sharpened to a really fine edge, inexpensive, but they have a completely different shape to western knives and their finish are not good.

The other types of knives come down to how comfortable they feel in her hands and the quality of the steel.
>>
>>8364374
could a decent collection be built by individually buying them for under 200? also would I be able to get a block that fits the mish mash of different knives.

I think i am leaning towards the german wusthof, but because of the anime in me would be interested in checking out fancy jap or Chinese blades.
>>
>>8364195
>Knifes
>>
>>8364407
Chef knife:

Wusthof Classic $100. Great knife. An absolute workhorse. Beautiful. Holds a great edge and is very sturdy.

Victorinox Fibrox $35. Good knife. Easily sharpened to a shaving sharp edge. Keeps that edge well. For the price it is extremely good for everyday use. The fibrox handle is very comfy and slip resistant.

Shun Classic ~$140 only used one once at a friends. Very sharp, feels great in the hand. The edge is finer i believe the edge is sharpened to 18 degree angle as opposed to the 22 degree angle of western knives.

CCK Small Cleaver ~$70. Carbon steel knife which means it will rust if not properly cared for. It takes a very good edge and it lasts a decent amount if properly maintained. Eventhough, the name lists it as a cleaver it is not meant to be used in hacking bones etc. this is a chef knife.

Paring knife:

Cheaper is better here. No need to spend $100.

Wusthof paring knife $15
Victorinox paring knife $6-15
They get the job done.

Bread/slicer knife: i dont buy expensive bread knives because they are impossible for me to sharpen. I usually replace mine every 5-7 years. I bake so I buy 10" versions.

Mercer Millenia 10" $15. cheap and works great.

Tojiro Bread knife. $35. Have heard good things about this knife but never used it.

A honing steel is essential in keeping your chef knife and paring knife in good working order. An expensive knife is useless if its edge is folded over.

I would opt for a 12" honing steel as the longer steels make for easier honing. These can be had for ~$20. Even a cheap hone from a restaurant supply store can be as little as $10.

If your gf fillets fish or chicken etc. a boning knife would be nice but not essential.

Boning/fillet knife:

Shun classic boning knife ~$110. Only used it once. Not as flexible as i would have liked but it is very beautiful and sharp.

Cont.
>>
>>8364407
You'll never get a full set of Miyabi or Shun knives south of $1000
>>
Chef knife
Santoku knife
Bread knife
Carving knife
Filet knife
Pairing knife
Honing steel
Sharpening block

Maybe a utility knife too, but this is really all you need. Brand is preference. Get what you want or what you can afford.
>>
>>8364407
Wustohf Classic boning knife $110. For me its the best boning knife. Its flexible which makes filleting fish easier. I buy large cuts of meat from costco etc. and have to trim and this knife just makes it alot easier to do.

Victorinox boning knife. ~$30. It is not as flexible as the wusthof. But it gets the job done especially when trimming meat. The handle is more comfortable than the wusthof.

Poultry Shears: great for halving chicken, opening bags, cutting string etc.

Kuhn rikon poultry shears $20. They work. They are comfortable and are durable.

Meat Cleaver: for when you need to cut through bone but dont want to ruin the edge on your chef knife.

Dexter Russell Cleaver $40. Heavy and durable. Will hack through bones.

If you must have a knife block you can find universal ones that would fit most knives around $30.

All knives dull so investment in sharpening equipment essential to keeping knives in good functioning order. Avoid carbide sharpening tools. I would invest in sharpening stones as these would be the least damaging to the knives. Sending them to a pro sharpener is expensive. A chef choice sharpener will run around $100.
>>
>>8355555
>>
>>8364195
I'd recommend you stop being a silly bitch. Nigga you don't give no hoe no nothing but that dick.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.