[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw just can't get fast with a knife

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Rzze0aC.png (17KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Rzze0aC.png
17KB, 500x500px
>tfw just can't get fast with a knife
>>
>>8359615
Go work at an indian restaurant. Had to chop 50-75lbs of onions a day.
>>
>>8359621
Did you wear goggles to keep yourself from crying
>>
>>8359628
No, I've been in a kitchen almost 14 years now. After a while it doesnt affect you.
>>
>>8359621
It feels like part of it is talent, which I just don't have.
Several people who spend way less time cooking than me are faster and get better results
>>
>>8359644
There is a certain amount of talent but its mostly all muscle memory and hand eye coordination. If you dont have the talent you'll have to put in more work to get to that level. Also, get a good knife that's really comfortable in the hand.
>>
>>8359633

Any normal person who cooks randomly during the week NEVER cries while chopping onion. It's the dumbest shit I've ever heard and it must reside in people who buy takeout every night.
>>
Go work in a restaraunt where you have to do tons of different kinds of prep before 5pm. You learn out of necessity. I used to constantly cut myself and was slow as shit until I had to run a station... a few months later I could fine dice an onion while staring at the wall. I got so good that all those YouTube videos of knife work with tons of comments on how impressive the cook of chef is with their blade, that is be watching those and going "huh- what's so special?"

You just lesrnnbt being forced to. Trial by fire. Keep the blades sharp and focus on not cutting yourself.
>>
>>8359688
I'm sure it would force me to git gud, but I already have a full time job though, cooking is just a hobby
>>
>>8359615
go slow with perfect technique and build speed from there.

but really who gives a shit about getting fast with a knife if you're not getting paid to be fast with a knife.
>>
>>8359633
>>8359683
both of these are bullshit. it only happens with certain types of onion, and you don't build up a tolerance.
>>
>>8359683
This. The only time I feel anything is when I blend onions to a pulp then open the lid, and even then not always.
>>
>>8359683
thats just not true, either you wear contact-lenses or your nose is always full of snot, almost everybody that doent cut 10 onions daily cries occasionally while cutting, because the knife aint sharp enough, because you are sleepy or because you looked at a monitor all day and your eyes are tired. the dumbest shit is someone making a scene out of something so irrelevant
>>
>>8359729
50% me just wanting to be good at something
50% I'm 205cm tall and any worksurface is basically at knee level which makes my back hurt the longer I have to use it.
>>
Hey all,

I'm making this post essentially as a way to express my utter shock and awe at the new Ultra Pro Illustrated sleeves, at least the Kaladesh variety. I've been a sleeve experimenter for a very long time. When I started playing Magic I played Ultra Pro pro mattes because that's what was on display at my local game store. I was never truly in love with these sleeves and they had several issues with splits and tears.

However, I would soon stumble upon Tolarian Community College sleeve reviews. From there I knew that obviously KMC was the way to go. My LGS still didn't carry these so to amazon I went. I bought several packs of both perfect fits and hyper mattes. The perfect fits will always be the inner sleeve of choice, they really do live up to their name. The hyper mattes though... I really do not enjoy them at all, first of all the way the texture on the back of the sleeve has a slightly satin finish to it irritates me as I get fingerprints on them almost immediately. A bigger issue is that every pack I've purchased, this is probably 7 or 8 at this point, split very very easily. They split like pro mattes.

Perhaps I've just had rather terrible luck but they just always failed me. So I figured I should invest in dragon shields for their supreme durability. I switched my sleeves to matte dragon shields and once again, they fell ill to the splits. Not as easily as the KMC or Ultra Pro but they still did it. So I tried a few packs of classics to see if they really had the same durability as shown in the TCC videos.

The answer was a remarkable yes, no spits at all. I also quite liked the shuffle feel. The major falling out I had with these sleeves was the fingerprint problem. They get dirty and stay dirty easily. So back I went to the Dragon Shield mattes. I sacrificed durability for feel and look. I've been sticking with this plan for several months now.
>>
>>8359769
Last night I found myself at a friends place itching to play some multiplayer, but I didn't have a deck with me. So it was off to the LGS to throw something casual and silly together to just have a night of fun playing Magic with friends.

Even though all the cards I purchased were largely worthless, I still felt like I needed at least some protection. So I grabbed a pack of Ultra Pro Illustrated sleeves with Dovin Baan on the back (I figured why not use some silly art for a silly night!). While sleeving I noticed a different sort of feel and characteristic as opposed to standard Ultra Pros. When I shuffled for the first time I expected it to be truly awful as illustrated sleeves normally are.

To my utter shock and surprise they shuffled almost identically to Dragon Shield classics, which have my favorite shuffle feel. Already impressed I figured I'd put one through the stretch test to see if it would do what Ultra Pros always do. I tested three sleeves and not one split. They reacted exactly like Dragon Shield classics to the stretch test. The illustrations also do a good job of either hiding or distracting from my fingerprints.

If this same quality and shuffle feel is true of other Ultra Pro illustrated products going forward, I'll have finally found myself a sleeve of choice!
>>
Just get your technique down, OP, then improve speed by cutting up massive amounts of veggies. Practice on potatoes and carrots cause they're cheap and always guard your thumb!
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.