[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I got one of pic related a few weeks ago for reasons. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 11571-01us.jpg (218KB, 1800x1800px) Image search: [Google]
11571-01us.jpg
218KB, 1800x1800px
So I got one of pic related a few weeks ago for reasons. I've found it actually way less forgiving then a french press. French press I just immerse in water stir and wait four minutes, this I've been wetting the grounds, waiting half a minute, then pouring water in till it stops steady drip, then repeat until I get the desired amount of coffee.

The first cup I made was super dog shit because I used a french press grind so it was water, the second cup came out bitter, I tightened up the grind a little, though this cup I did use some starbucks house blend beans that I've never had before so they could be bitter shit for all I know. Now I've made steady good coffee with some Kona I've had, but also it was just as reliable in the french press. I feel like I have more control over variations with the pour over, just I'm not very experienced. Any tips?
>>
>>8356591
i have the same one, i use a paper filter in mine. makes the grind size more forgiving and slows down the drip so it doesn't come out as weak. other than that, just be patient with pouring hot water over it, pour in circles and as slow as you can to cover all the grounds to maximize the amount of time the water spends in the filter. takes me ~3-5 minutes to brew a cup or two
>>
>>8356611
You stack the paper filter over the mesh? I do like how this and french press' don't have the paper, coffee has more body.
>>
>>8356650
yeah, one of those cone filters. true, you lose some of the flavor, but you end up with a stronger brew since it's just a bit slower and it doesn't allow any sediment through. it's a trade-off either way. if you do use a paper filter it also helps to rinse water over it first before adding grounds.
>>
Just made some of the starbucks beans again, smells like it did last time, its a med-dark roast apparently. I used to love bitter shit coffee but now I really love medium roasts because there's more nuances than just bitter.

>sips

Definitely better than last time, now it just tastes like super good drip coffee, in a good way, less bitter more balanced. Still not my fav.
>>
>>8356711
I have the filters you're talking about, from a previous purchase, didnt use them this time, might just try and burn through these beans I don't like lol because I don't think anything I do will make them like my ideal cup
>>
For pourover style coffee, the grounds to water ratio makes a big difference in comparison to immersion brew like french presses. Cause the extraction is more vigorous, but it tends to bring out more flavours, specially with light-med roasts.

You should be shooting for a 1:14 - 1:16 weight ratio of grounds to water. And a cup should finish dripping in 2:30 - 3:00mins.

You've got the right idea about wetting the grounds for 30secs to let it bloom. That way you get a more even extraction. A gooseneck kettle makes pouring in circles very easy.

I find that most of the adjustments i do is with the grind size of the beans. I try to keep the water ratios and time as a fixed variable as much as possible.

I know what im saying sounds really autist and douchey but thats the way pourover is. It gives you a ton of control over how your cups turns out, but there are many little variables can affect it for better or for worse. More often than not, the taste changes are so minute that most people cant tell the difference. So... How sensitive your tastebuds are affects how autist you are about this.
>>
hmmm i see
>>
>>8358707
>*tips*
'Tis an art as much as a science. After OP gets the hang of it, he'll enjoy the slight nuances from cup to cup.
>>
Starbucks beans are shit for pour over coffee, they are routinely over roasted and come out bitter and acidic. they are much better for immersion brews like cold brew or french press. They are also blended from lots of different sources and lack distinction

try better quality, properly roasted beans and a finer grind. you should be able to get a cup almost like unsweetened cocoa from a Chemex. Also, rinsed paper filter is indubitaly superior to any other filter
>>
>>8361283
Agreed. I think it has something to do with how instant coffees tends to market the robust and dark roasts as a premium line. So generally we are more conditioned towards the darker roasts. When i first had a med roast pourover i was actually shocked at how it tasted. Its like a whole other drink in comparison.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.