[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chicory coffee

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: A_small_cup_of_coffee.jpg (392KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
A_small_cup_of_coffee.jpg
392KB, 1600x1200px
I lived in the south a couple years back, and my office mates used to brew this southern coffee blend (their words) that had chicory in it. I miss that coffee. A little research yielded a few brands that make it, but are any of them it? I may never know. But I'm looking for a coffee w/ chicory that's good but not absurdly expensive. And please no Keurig either.

Can anyone recommend a chicory coffee? Med / mild roast preferred.
>>
>>8352838
My mother is from Holland and when she made what she called 'proper coffee' she always added chicory powder to it. It really makes a difference.
>>
>>8352838
It makes the coffee taste awful and leaves an oily layer in your mug. I wouldn't bother with it. It's not good by itself either
>>
File: camp coffee.jpg (28KB, 388x600px) Image search: [Google]
camp coffee.jpg
28KB, 388x600px
>>8352838
Maybe they had some good old British Camp Coffee?
>>
>>8352873
That's just like, your opinion.
>>
>>8352838
Christ, that's what they give you in jail. Why do that to yourself
>>
>>8352970
Because during the American Civil War, the north's blockage of the south resulted in tea and coffee shortages; but wild chicory was quite common in many areas in the southern US. It became standard to stretch one's coffee rations (as a soldier) or purchased coffee (as a civilian) with ground chicory; after the war, people kept doing it as a habit and a way to save costs. Which mean that companies realized they could market it; and people kept buying it, because chicory-cut coffee was what they were used to.
>>
>>8353011
That was 150 years ago, m8. There isn't a coffee shortage any more
>>
>>8353029
No, but habits are hard to break--and if your parents grew up drinking chicory coffee because THEIR parents grew up drinking chicory coffee because THEIR parents grew up drinking chicory coffee... get what I'm saying?
>>
>>8353034
No
>>
I learned about this from Treme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_au_lait#United_States
>>
>>8353029
So what? The Brits still drink blackberry cordial, and that was brought in as a replacement for orange juice during the war. (The govt. didn't want a scurvy epidemic in addition to everything else they had to deal with.)
>>
>>8353046
Except blackberries are good, whereas chicory is awful
>>
>>8353054
Taste is subjective anon.

I love grapefruit, and can't stand strawberries.
Some people like IPAs - I find them disgusting. I love porter and stouts - not too many people I know IRL do.
I love broccoli, brussel sprouts and other green veggies. I love them more than bacon - but I still like bacon.
>>
>>8352838
Why not get chicory powder and coffee to make your own perfect ratio.
I have chicory "coffee substitute" for the evenings but I notice I get
diarrhoea from it.
>>
>>8353132
Ya this seems the best best since you can pick your own coffee too. Chicory coffee is always sold ground anyway.
>>
orzo > chicory

fite me irl
>>
File: 15476_XXX_v1.jpg (248KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
15476_XXX_v1.jpg
248KB, 2000x2000px
OG chicory coffee

find a Vietnamese grocery store, they love this shit
>>
>>8353432
This. They sell it at Publix.

Cafe Du Monde is always packed as fuck though.
>>
File: Luzianne.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Luzianne.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>>8352838
All you'll ever need
>>
File: 1456204096325.jpg (76KB, 413x600px) Image search: [Google]
1456204096325.jpg
76KB, 413x600px
>>8353432
If you are to find chicory coffee at a brick and mortar store up north, it's probably going to be these Cafe Du Monde cans. This is fine because it's one of the better chicory blends you can buy.
>>
>>8353432
>>8355363
OP here. I'll be on the lookout for these. I'm in NW Arizona, and the stores I regularly shop at don't have them. Today I'm doing some shopping anyways, and will pop into a few different stores. If I still can't find it, Amazon!

And a couple anons suggested a powder - any specifics? I'll do a little research of my own, but I'd like a recommendation or two. And I'll compare the store bought blend vs. my fave w/ chicory mixed in.
>>
>>8353011
Same story with WWII in Europe
>>
Same story here in capital of the northern europe.. I worked at a place who sold chicorie coffee. it wasnt that bad. definitely had that coffee tastsy.
>>
>>8355972
Yes, except with dandelion and fireweed, not chicory which is an American plant.
>>
>>8352873
no wonder it was used to stretch coffee

can't be that good if it's only use is to replace a proper beverage
>>
File: zich.png (483KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
zich.png
483KB, 1600x1600px
You're welcome.
>>
File: hi-def picard.jpg (37KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
hi-def picard.jpg
37KB, 680x680px
>>8356241
jaja bruddi lassen uns zu Deutschland fliegen fuer ein bisschen kaffee
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.