[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eggnog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

Anyone else making eggnog this year? My last attempt was absolute rubbish, but at least I didn't get salmonella.
>>
I still have a quart left over from last year but will probably make some more
>>
>>8344846

Any recipes you recommend? There are like a bajillion and I can't even decide on what booze to buy.
>>
File: 15993429702_871990a765_c.jpg (112KB, 534x800px) Image search: [Google]
15993429702_871990a765_c.jpg
112KB, 534x800px
I usually make a light one if I make it at all.

>jug of egg whites, beaten
>skim milk
>0 calorie instant pudding
>splash of dark rum
>extra vanilla, sweetener, spices to taste
>>
>>8344851
Whatever booze you like. First time I did it i followed the recipe on the bitten word which is very bourbon heavy and a little more boozy than say Alton Brown's.

Aim for 3-5 cups for a gallon batch. Mine is more rum forward these days. Been using Smith and cross.

When you first make it, it will come off as incredibly boosy but it mellows out when it ages. Can also cut it with cream and egg whites when you serve it.

I know Kenji senpai did a tasting and found 3 weeks to be the best but personally find 6 months to a year my spot. He probably thought it needed some fish sauce
>>
Eggnog is a very divisive beverage. You either love it or hate it. Personally, I love having it once in a while during December, but would get sick of it pretty fast afterward.

Thread Poll

http://www.strawpoll.me/11818984
>>
How to not die of salmonella?
>>
>>8347482
Be stronger.
>>
>>8347482
Use organic free range eggs that haven't been machine washed. You will need to go to a market/local butcher/independent grocer.
>>
>>8344808
I try not to drink to much dairy with hard liquor

Like milk on a hot day, overall bad idea
>>
>>8347482
don't be pussy
>>
>>8344808
I use silken tofu, soy milk, creamed coconut, and blend it in my ninja until smooth. Then blend in vanilla extract, sweetener, spices, and just a tiny pinch of kala namak. Super high in protein, and the only carbs are if I add rum.
>>
Eggnog makes my dick hard.

Did a very simple small recipie, just making it for myself and parents really.

4 egg yolks
1 cup cream
1 cup milk (whole)
Can't remember exactly how much sugar
Think a third or half cup

Mix egg yolks and sugar, save the whites obviously

Add cream and milk, heat over medium for a while until 180 or so to kill that salmonella, stir constantly so the egg doesn't cook and you get a dope ass creamy custard. Add the bourbon nutmeg whatever here.

Chill for a few hours till it's properly chilled, and once it's chilled make a simple meringue and then mix it into the chilled custard.

Very simple and delicious.
>>
You gotta risk the samonilla to make it taste good.
>>
>>8344906

I can't believe you age it that long. Doesn't it go bad?

>>8347482
>>8347743

Shouldn't the alcohol kill it?
>>
Publix Eggnog here. I do hate that high fructose corn syrup is being added to every brand of eggnog out there.
>>
>>8348497
Just live in a first world country where it is banned.
>>
>>8348497
It's virtually indistinguishable from sugar.
>>
>>8348541
>virtually

A little "virtue" signalling for the conagras of the world, eh? Good job, corporate fuckboi.
>>
File: scrot.png (27KB, 562x563px)
scrot.png
27KB, 562x563px
>>8348547
>>
>>8348547
I thought liberal faggots like you were supposed to be the ones doing the virtue signaling.
>>
>>8347482
serious answer:

pasteurized or irradiated eggs

Its the shell that contains salmonella, not the yolk or whites. Its really hard to crack an egg open without the edible contents making content with the potentially salmonellad shell exterior. Most people won't get ill but if you really don't want to take any risks you can hunt down pasteurized shell eggs or irradiated eggs.
>>
Everything so far looks shit, where's that one link from yonder year /ck/?
>>
>>8347899

No the alcohol content in it is so high it keeps it safe.

>This latter benefit was conclusively proven by microbiologists Vince Fischetti and Raymond Schuch at New York City’s Rockefeller University. They deliberately added salmonella bacteria to a batch of eggnog and analyzed the bacteria content over a three-week period. By the three-week mark, the alcohol had rendered the eggnog completely sterile.
>>
>>8344808
You could also try pasturized in-shell eggs.
Yum+safe
>>
I tried a recipe from food wishes the other day. It was great
>>
>>8348560
Deflection and conflation are staples of their rhetoric.
>>
>>8344886
that sounds fucking awful
>>
>>8347482

Not have incredibly bad luck.
>>
George Washington's Eggnog Recipe:

>One quart cream, one quart milk , one dozen tablespoons sugar, one pint brandy, 1/2 pint rye whisky, 1/2 pint Jamaica rum, 1/4 pint sherry - mix liquor first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs, add sugar to beaten yolks, mix well.

>Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Let set in cool place for several days. Taste frequently.

Number of eggs is guessed to be about a dozen. The important part for this great American was the booze.
>>
>>8347482
feels good living in a salmonella free country
>>
>>8349642
Just like pop's nog recipe.
>>
File: washington.jpg (63KB, 300x352px)
washington.jpg
63KB, 300x352px
>>8349642
>Taste frequently.
>>
Last time I made nog I got tunanella. Lost my right ball.
>>
Eggnog is fucking gross.

Do Kys and sage
Hidden
>>
>>8346170
I haven't tried eggnog, I wouldn't know anon, how can I answer the poll :(
>>
>>8349642
question,
how long would it take me if i used my fridge instead of just a "cool and dry place" ?
a day or two?
>>
Is there anything in these ingredients you would add/change? Im thinking I would only do 1 cup of sugar instead of 1 1/2

4 cups milk
5 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
12 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups light rum
4 cups light cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
>>
I made alton brown's egg nog this week, letting it sit in the fridge until christmas. tastes pretty strong, hopefully it will mellow out.

12 large eggs
1 pound sugar
1 pint half-n-half
1 pint whole milk
1 pint heavy cream
1 cup Jamaican rum
1 cup cognac
1 cup bourbon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (plus more for serving)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Separate the eggs and store the whites for another purpose.

Beat the yolks with the sugar and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until the mixture lightens in color and falls off the whisk in a solid "ribbon."

Combine dairy, booze and salt in a second bowl or pitcher and then slowly beat into the egg mixture.

Move to a large glass jar (or a couple of smaller ones) and store in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks up to a year.

Serve in mugs or cups topped with a little extra nutmeg grated right on top.
>>
Am I the only one here who makes eggnog by tempering the eggs in a sauce pan? Don't tell me you're so shit at cooking you can't cook your eggnog without making scrambled eggs.
>>
>>8350155
Im pretty sure 99% of people do that, and no, you're not special for being able to temper eggs you utter faggot.
>>
I like some whiskey drinks
Now I discovered that I have the ingredients to make this crazy thing
http://www.tablespoon.com/posts/sriracha-honey-hot-toddy/538D509A-1F78-4C6F-B525-326EB637E9D3

Sriacha whiskey, should I make it?
>>
>>8349609
I like it, family does too. Why does it sound awful?
>>
>>8350222
>>Why does it sound awful?

>>egg whites
Where are the yolks? The yolks are where the flavor is. If anything you should be using yolks only and no whites.

>>skim milk
It's like you hate flavor. Whole milk. Or better yet, cream.

>>0 calorie instant pudding mix
Lol, what? That stuff is nasty, and not needed. O calorie implies artificial sweeteners, and that tastes bad.

that's why the recipe sounds disgusting, anon.
>>
I'll be whipping up a batch o 'nog tonight, any tips before I get started?
>>
>>8350222
It probably just tastes like sweetened milk, there is no flavor in that recipe. Bland AF.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-02-11-43-40.png (445KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-02-11-43-40.png
445KB, 1440x2560px
I took a screenshot of this last year. My friend's family loved it. Gonna make it again this year.
>>
>>8350868
That style of writing makes me want to punch my computer screen.
>>
>>8347482
just pasteurize it yourself when it's finished?
>>
>>8349184

Neat. I'll definitely have to try this... though obviously it's too late for me to age it a year (and I'm moving next year). 3 weeks though may do it for me.
>>
>>8349854
go get some. drink it. come back and answer the poll.
>>
>>8350898
Yeah I understand, but the recipe is solid. Turns out pretty good.
>>
>>8350868
> Look at me, look at me, I'm cursing a lot
> I'm not a normal mom, I'm a cool mom
>>
>>8344808
Best Store Brands for those without access to safe eggs?
>>
As someone who doesn't drink much but likes eggnog and wants to make a kick-ass batch, what kind of booze is best?
>>
nignog
>>
>>8344808
but if you're an american, can't you just open fire when you see salmonella approaching?
just shoot that malignant motherfucker in the face
>>
>>8352610

I haven't tried it yet, but a lot of my friends recommend the Trader Joe's version.
>>
>>8344808
>salmonella from eggs
What kind of third world shithole do you live in?
>>
>>8352697

It seems like the big 3 that keep popping up are bourbon, rum, and brandy. A lot of the recipes here seem to recommend a blend, usually bourbon and brandy.
>>
>>8355348
>rum
kys tier
>bourbon
ok tier
>tequila
inventive delicious and unique tier
>brandy
classic ubermensch tier
>>
>>8355366

>kys tier
Yes.
>ok tier
No, bourbon is top tier
>inventive delicious and unique tier
>le hipster faec xd
>classic ubermensch tier
Nobody who doesn't understand it's Uebermensch/übermensch can call themselves one. Brandy is okay, bourbon is best,
>>
Auntie makes eggnog for dad every Christmas. Moonshine and custard.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.