[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FISH SCUM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1421095263001.jpg (206KB, 599x757px) Image search: [Google]
1421095263001.jpg
206KB, 599x757px
So I'm making fish soup, boiled the fish in milk water mixture, removed the fish, then added vegetables and shit to the milk, now boiling that away to soften the potatoes. Anyway there is a white foam forming on top of the water, what is this, and should I skim it off?

Picture mildly nautically fish related.
>>
>>8343602
foam is protein fish as well as starch from the potatoes. skim it off.

Don't boil it, that will just make more scum. Gentle simmer.
>>
>>8343622
good answer
>>
>>8343622

Thanks mate, it's gone now what about this little oily skin thats forming? Do i remove that too or is it delicious flavour
>>
>>8343602
Why are you listening to Americans when it comes to cooking?
>>
>>8343642

Which is it, an oil or a film? They are distinct.

Oil is fat floating to the top. Skim it off if there's a lot of it.

A film can be stirred back into the liquid, it will dissolve right away.
>>
>>8343699

It was kind of both thanks for the protip anyway, anyway I stirred it right back in and the Soup was delicious. Cullen Skink, recommended, maybe needed more smokeyness cause only 1/3 of the fish was smoked haddock, might do the american thing and put some BACON tm. in it tomorrow. IDK.
>>
For future reference when making soup, according to internet this foam happens with all soups, so should I remove it always and not boil for that reason apparently. And furthermore if I mix it back into the soup once will it remain there and ruin my soup or will it separate again and float to the top as I simmer.

I learn new things every day.

Also fish was 4 days out of date, tell me I won't die ;_;
>>
>>8343772
>so should I remove it always and not boil for that reason apparently.

Yes. That's basic shit.

>> And furthermore if I mix it back into the soup once will it remain there

Depends on what you mean exactly:
Scum: mixing that in will make your soup taste bad.
Oil: it will stay "mixed" temporarily, then it will float back on the top.
Film: that will dissolve back into the soup, no harm done.

>>out of date
Dates are meaningless. If the fish was bad it would have been obvious the moment you opened the package

and ruin my soup or will it separate again and float to the top as I simmer.
>>
>>8343782

>Yes. That's basic shit.

It's new to me mate.

>Scum: mixing that in will make your soup taste bad.

Ah bollocks, cause I already mixed a little bit of that in at the beginning of making the soup. Anyway I'll remember to attend to my soup next time a make a soup.

And yeah the fish was quite smelly but it wasn't dreadful, daily mail said if you push your finger into the fish and it doesn't rebound it's off, but that's the daily mail and it tasted fine when cooked anyway.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.