[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

gravy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: bouef.jpg (3MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
bouef.jpg
3MB, 4048x3036px
want to learn how to make good gravy from beef meat drippings.

in an FML thread I came across the eye of round roast easy recipe and tried it out. Pic is what I did yesterday, is tasty and will do again for sandwich meat. There was a good bit of pan drippings so I tried making a gravy with out researching too much. Kinda fucked it up. Added flour after added deglazing liquid and when the heat was too high so it clumped up and had to strain it out.

What I was able to salvage is way too salty. Is that because I used too much salt on the rub? Would not rubbing the bottom of the meat help that?

In regards to using flour it looks like there are 2 ways I could add it. The easy way which is making a slurry, or by adding it to the pan drippings with butter to make a roux. Is learning to make a roux necessary for gravy? I'm not really a good cook yet and it looks like something that is easy to mess up.
>>
>>8336797
Make sure to cook ALL the red out of the meat or it is not good.
Roux is the way to go for gravy. Or the jar kind which can be used instead of mayonnaise in the sauce.
Add more sugar and cheese to the rub to reduce the salt. I prefer Parmesan from pizza boxes.
Hope this helps good luck!
>>
Melt butter in a pan
Add flour
Stir until it balls up
(longer you cook the roux ball, the darker it will get. this is where you adjust your coloring to desired lightness/darkness)
Add cool / room temp drippings
Add cool / room temp stock if more liquid required
Only season at end
>>
>>8336797
>deglazing liquid
What deglazing liquid? That could be your salt problem

>the heat was too high so it clumped up
That wasn't your problem. You need to do one of two things. Either add the liquid very slowly while stirring with a whisk to prevent clumps, or you added too much flour to the drippings. When you add flour, it shouldn't be creating a solid or play doh. It should still be liquid.
>>
jesus christ why has this not been said. Mix the flour or corn starch with water before adding it while using a whisk to rid the clumps before you pour it in. The water evaporates and it thickens the gravy mixture. Holy fuck. Do any of you cook in any way? Who the fuck making a roux for beef gravy in a crockpot full of drippings?
>>
>>8336984
first of all, fuck you.i hope youre trolling because the only thing you said that was accurate was mixing cornstarch with water.

as for OP, pour some of the fat out of your pan, add a little flour and cook it until it smells nutty. then add your liquid and cook it until it gets thick and then cook it a little further to get rid of the grittiness and raw flour taste. otherwise what you can do is pour all your drippings off and wait for it to seperate, skim some of the fat off and put it in a pan. add a little flour to make your roux, add your liquid and finish your sauce. season at the end, especially if youre going to be using fresh herbs,
>>
>>8336905
I used beer, specifically a homebrewed bitter. so I doubt it was from that.

>>8336984
This wasn't made in a crock pot. It was oven roasted in a pan. When the roast was done I had to heat the pan to deglaze the fat stuck to the bottom then I poured it into a saucepan to make the gravy. Also in my OP I did ask if using a flour slurry, as you suggest, is better than making a roux, but all the other posters seem to think that a roux is the way to go.

>>8336877
these are some interesting suggestions. not sure about sugar since it roasts at a very high heat for a short amount of time but the dried parm may be interesting.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.