[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wet Brine v Dry Brine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: index.jpg (11KB, 277x182px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11KB, 277x182px
Wanna cook a chicken today.

Never used brine before - is it better to use a wet brine or dry brine?

Realistically I have about 8 hours till I'll need to cook the chicken.
>>
File: IMG_2607.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2607.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I only have experience with wet brines but if you have that time frame to cook the bird you should go with a dry brine. Wet brined chicken really benefits from at least a day and a half of air drying in the fridge so the skin gets taut.
>>
Isn't dry bringing just ... salting?

Why is it called dry brining?
It doesn't even make sense. Brining being the verb of the noun brine, which refers to salty water.

Why not just call it salting?
>>
>>8314135
It doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's what it's called.
>>
>>8314007
Try Chef John's 'Salt roasted chicken' on foodwishes-- which is essentially a 'dry brine'. If you want a more traditional, herb-based rub, I'd go with a quick wet brine, then rinse, then season as desired and roast. the skin won't get as crisp, though.
>>
>>8314007
>go with a dry brine

How do you "go with" something that doesn't exist? What part of "dry" and "brine" do you not understand to be mutually exclusive?
>>
>>8314135

Brine is the salty water.
>>
Salting hours/days ahead and wet brining to exactly the same thing. Since I hate how brining thins the skin, I usually just salt. But if I want to introduce aromatic flavors then you either have to wet brine or inject.
>>
>>8314067
>>8314482
>>8314564
Thanks all - decided I'll roast it tomorrow so I've went for a wet brine (with rosemary and lemon) - I'll leave it overnight/most of tomorrow - take it out to dry for an hour or so then cook.
>>
>>8314975
If you can roast it with convection, all the better. That will help the texture of the skin.
>>
>>8314135
because pretentious idiots like to reinvent the wheel
>dry brine
>bone broth
that's all i can think of right now but i know there's more
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.