[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thanksgiving General - /tg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 508
Thread images: 101

File: The-Perfect-Turkey.jpg (3MB, 3857x2312px) Image search: [Google]
The-Perfect-Turkey.jpg
3MB, 3857x2312px
THANKSGIVING GENERAL THREAD

>share your recipes, stories, and ideas

I'm making a turkey this thanksgiving. It seems that roasting at 500 degrees, whether its at the start or all the way through, is the supreme way of roasting a turkey. Brining is a must. A meat probe thermometer is the best, but an instant read can work well.
>>
>protip: resting bags of ice on your turkey's breast will make it cook better.

source: http://lifehacker.com/5861921/ice-your-turkey-breast-before-cooking-for-a-moister-bird
>>
jacque peppins Steamed bird.
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12941-jacques-pepins-steamed-and-roasted-turkey

and Ruhlman's bake n' braise method. http://ruhlman.com/2011/11/roasted-braised-turkey-recipe/

I've yet to do Pepin's method, but Ruhlmans braise method makes sense if your breasts are done but your dark meat is still tough. IE you have a really big bird.
>>
>>8303259
i dont see the benefit in braising such a lean meat
>>
>>8303259
To solve that problem, people either:
a) cover the breast in foil to reflect heat once its at the right temperature
b) ice the breast before putting it in the oven

i also saw that gordon ramsay wraps his breast in bacon to protect it
>>
File: Fuckin-Amateurs.jpg (43KB, 487x559px) Image search: [Google]
Fuckin-Amateurs.jpg
43KB, 487x559px
If you aren't spatchcocking your turkey, then you just suck at life.
>>
>>8303284
>a) cover the breast in foil to reflect heat once its at the right temperature
That only effects browning not cooking.
>>
>>8303273
>Fat content has anything to do with braising
I've braised leeks and carrots, how much fat do you have in your carrots?
>>
>>8303328
>>8303351
>reflecting heat doesnt affect cooking
XD
>fat content has anything to do with braising
for meats, its basically the main factor. i dont understand why youre making analogies with vegetables as if it were a valid point
>>
>>8303368
>for meats, its basically the main factor. i dont understand why youre making analogies with vegetables as if it were a valid point
If you knew what effect braising has on food it does. Look up the boiling point of water for understanding.

>reflecting heat doesnt affect cooking
I did say it affects browning, it in no way effects the temperature of the oven.
>>
>>8303377
if you cover food in a material that reflects heat, it wont get as hot. it's not that hard.
>>
>>8303237
What's the best way to brine?
>>
>>8303368
>for braising meats fat is the main factor

Straight out wrong. High collagen content is the primary factor to look for in a cut of meat to braise. A prime ribeye steak has a buttload of fat, but only a simpleton would braise it.
>>
>turkey
>roasted chicken
>mashed potatoes
>corn on the cob
>green bean casserole
>stuffing
>pecan pie
>pumpkin pie
>ice cream

What am I missing?
>>
>>8303440
Ham, or roasted chestnuts to name a couple.
>>
>>8303440
>mashed potatoes
>roasted chicken
Are you white? Also sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. And macaroni too
>>
>>8303440
deviled eggs for hors d'oeuvres.
>>
>>8303440
Whiskey
>>
File: 4percentturkey.jpg (84KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
4percentturkey.jpg
84KB, 1024x768px
>in-laws want me to make a turkey this year
>get turkey, get the brine all ready to go
>check the turkey, it's already been soaked in a solution

FUCK

Any tips on turning this turd into a real turkey? I was thinking about covering it in a nice herb butter before roasting, but that's all I've got so far.
>>
>finished bread dough
>about to have it rise until tomorrow morning
>turkey is almost done defrosting
>sweet potatoes are precut for tomorrow
>cranberry sauce is finished
>apple and pumpkin pies are finished

Tomorrow is going to be great! Good luck /ck/!
>>
I rotisserie our turkey every year now, because it without a doubt is the best method (And I've done them all, roasted, smoked, fried, etc)
Anyway, I'm softening some butter right now to make a compound butter for the turkey. The day before (today), I slather the turkey inside and out with a compound butter that has salt, pepper, chives, rosemary, parsley, lemon zest and juice, garlic, shallots, paprika, sumac, and as much white wine as will blend in. And when I say slather, I mean I fucking coat that bird. Then I stuff the cavity with more aromatics (cut up lemons or oranges, sprigs of rosemary and thyme, quartered onions, and garlic cloves) and truss the bird right up, using a trussing needle to make sure the cavity stays closed. Then, I let it sit overnight, and gently put it on the rotisserie on my grill outside, and there she goes....And it gets basted occasionally with the drippings.

I always hear people say that the turkey is their least favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner. Not if you've eaten at my house. Best turkey ever. It's my favorite part. I went to three different stores to find my perfect bird this year, because I was after a specific kind. Unfortunately, I had to step foot in my most hated of all grocery stores, Whole Foods (ugh, I hate even typing their name) because after searching elsewhere, I found out they were only store that had the turkeys I was looking for. So, I purposely put on as much leather as possible (shoes and jacket), grabbed my grocery bag that says "Groceries and Shit" on it, and went in as fast as possible past all those hipster fucks and their devil's spawn at the food bars, back to the meats, found my turkey and literally carried it above my head like it was on display, straight through their "cruelty free" section, up to the registers. That was fun. A dad with two little kids with a basket full of vegan crap looked at me in horror and pulled his kids back away from me as I walked by.
>>
>>8303521
Look at the nutritional breakdown, it'll tell you how much extra sodium was put in by the solution. Adjust seasoning accordingly.
>>
>>8303237

500F? You're insane. You'd end up with ashes.
>>
Starting with the breast down and then flipping after an hour of cooking is the way to go, right?

Just shy of a 20 pounder.
>>
Anyone have a good recipe for a cauliflower mash?
>>
>>8303698
You sound like a douche but that turkey sounds good. Got any pics?
>>
So I've got turkey, corn, sweet potato, normal potato, pumpkin and cranberries. Is there any recipe for cranberry sauce that doesn't involve orange juice?
>>
>>8303779
>cranberry sauce that doesn't involve orange juice?
ew.
>>
>>8303758
I can be a douche sometimes, but in general I'm a very nice person, certain things just set me off. I REALLY hate Whole Foods and it made me pissed that I had to buy my turkey there.
Anyway, I don't have pics yet (nothing interesting anyway), but I'll take pics tomorrow of it on the rotisserie and the finished product on the table, with all the sides. As long as I have that rotisserie, I'll never cook turkey any other way, it comes off perfectly browned, tender, and juicy. But, you can't use a huge turkey. The turkey I bought is 13 lbs. If you had to make turkey for a lot of people, you'd have to do 2 turkeys on the rotisserie (it's big enough for 2). We only have 5 people, so a 13 lb is just about right.
>>
Is it better to roast with a lid or without? Every recipe I see says to cover it
>>
>>8303698
So you're that asshole. My wife's daughters had to go to counseling, jackass.
>>
File: 1268105132083s.jpg (12KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1268105132083s.jpg
12KB, 251x251px
>>8304141
>>
>>8303738
Why? Obviously you cook it for less time than if it were at 350.
>>
>Finished cranberry sauce with some blackberry wine and mint.
>No white bowls to show off the beautiful color.
I had one job...
>>
>>8303783
aren't cranberries nice enough on their own with a little sugar?
>>
>>8304277
yeah, orange is over kill, not everything needs a secondary flavoring
>>
>>8303779
Sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon zest/juice, mint.

I'm this guy:
>>8304239

Also added walnuts for garnish and some crunch.
>>
File: 20161123_154531.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161123_154531.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
stock started : ))
>>
>>8304303
Bad post

Cranberries and orange is GOAT flavor combo. I even like toasted walnuts with it
>>
File: 20161123_155053.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161123_155053.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>8304309
stuffing awaiting the stock
>>
what are your thoughts in a dry brine for the turkey?
>>
>>8304336
That its called Pre-Seasoning

Its fine as long as you baste the living shit out of the turkey until the last second where you let the skin get crisp
>>
File: IMG_1996.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1996.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>8303406
Don't be like me every year and not have a bowl or w/e big enough, i just end up flipping it over every 8 hours or so for a few days lolol. Tastes fine but is annoying

My brine was: like 2c salt, .5 c soy sauce for color, 1c brown sugar, fresh herbs from my garden, peppercorns, fennel seed, cinnamon stick, smashed garlic and a quartered onion
>>
>>8304328
Is there a simple stuffing recipe, even though I'm missing celery
>>
>>8304367
rip up a good crusty loaf of bread, let it get kinda stale or toast in oven.

saute onions, add mushroom.

in a big bowl combine with celery and seasonings (rosemary, sage, parsley, whatever)

add stock from your turkey, salt pepper, and heat the stuffing in the oven before serving
>>
We sticky now
>>
>>8304367
Walmart chemical box.
>>
>>8304451
its literally dry bread senpai calm down
>>
How should I alter a recipe if I want to cook the turkey without the lid
>>
>dad bought a fresh turkey almost a week in advance
>keep warning him that it was going to spoil but he wouldn't listen
>today we started injection brining
>the neck skin was fucking grey with what was probably mold
>"The heat will kill any bacteria"

my guests are all going to be sick and I'm never going to get to cook thanksgiving dinner again
>>
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/allrecipes.com/recipe/166160/juicy-thanksgiving-turkey/amp/ As a former vegetarian this is my first thanksgiving. Is this recipe BS?
>>
I'm cooking leg of lamb cause fuck turkey. It's gonna be good.

Also what's best recipe for pumpkin pie? I've got pumpkin puree, any spices I could possibly need, eggs, whipping cream, molasses, sugar, etc... Want to make a gingersnap/gingerbread type crust too, might just wing it lol.
>>
>>8304539
No all the posting about it is actually a huge, coordinated troll just to fuck with you.
>>
>>8304539
>3rd world countries have nothing to be thankful for.

Just be thankful for the U.S.A m8.
>>
>>8304539
>yuropoors have nothing to be thankful for
I actually kind of pity them.
>>
>>8303237
You don't need to brine I cook my turkey with aluminum on top until there's only an hour left than I remove the foil.
>just baste the fucker.
>>
irish sammich
>>
I'm doing oyster stuffing but I fugged up and didn't go to the fish market.

I've got 3 dozen whole oysters though. I am going to use some of the oysters of the stuffing, should I mix a half a dozen fresh and a can of smoked can oysters to sub for stock?
>>
>>8304555
Brining denatures proteins in the meat making it moister. Not to mentioning the seasoning that soaks into the meat also making it seem moister. You don't NEED to do a lot of things that improve taste.
>>
Is it normal for turkeys to have grey shit on their neck skin, or is it rotten?
>>
>>8304555
All basting does is flavor the skin. The downsides are that it keeps the skin from getting crispy, and each time you open the oven to baste, you lose heat, which enables the turkey to dry out because it needs to be cooked longer
>>
>>8304598
>Brining denatures proteins
wrong, that's curing
>>
>>8304615
Wrong. Don't you know that brining uses salt to do this, just like curing?
>>
>>8304605
post a photo
>>
>>8304519
I have the distinct impression that /ck/ is going to be a very quiet board tomorrow evening since half these dumbfucks will be at the emergency room with salmonella.
>>
>>8304635
Half of /ck/ has never and would never attempt to cook on their own. This is a fast food board for cross posters. The people around here that do cook and post OC are all decently skilled, though.
>>
>get put in charge of making Thanksgiving desert
>never made desert item in my life because I'm not a fatty
Should I just buy a pie or something? What the fuck do people eat for desert?
>>
>>8304652
pate a choux is your friend. Learn it. There's tons of desserts and meals created around it. For dessert look at profiteroles.
>>
>>8303750
do you want a mash or puree?
Here's a puree recipe, the secret is in roasting the cauliflower before.

1 head (about 1.5 lbs.) cauliflower
1 bulb garlic
3 tbsps olive oil
salt
pepper
1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped (or use whatever herb you like)
1 cup (or more) chicken broth (or vegetable broth, milk, or water)

Preheat oven to 400 °F. Trim the leaves off the cauliflower and slice the head into florets. Place the cauliflower in a medium bowl and set aside. Slice the very top of the bulb of garlic off with a sharp knife, just enough so you can see the meat of the topmost cloves. Place the bulb in an oven-proof ramekin or wrap it loosely with foil. Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over the top of the bulb. Cover the ramekin with foil or loosely seal the bulb in a foil pouch. Roast the garlic for 45 minutes. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper and fresh thyme. Toss together to coat. Spread the cauliflower florets out on a baking sheet or baking pan in a single layer. Roast for 35-40 minutes until the edges begin to brown.

Heat the chicken broth (or liquid of your choosing) in a small saucepan until it begins to simmer. Turn off the heat. When the garlic is cooled enough so you can safely handle it, remove the cloves from the skins. They should peel or slide out easily. Place the roasted cauliflower and the peeled roasted garlic cloves in a blender with 1 cup of the heated liquid. Purée to desired consistency, adding more liquid as needed. You could conceivably use a food processor, but I think the blender results in a smoother mash. Makes 3 cups.

If you want to sub or make additions:
Green onion OR garlic don't do both
NO HERBS DE PROVENCE OR ROSEMARY
don't sub in parsnip
ricotta is the best dairy to add in don't be lazy and go for the cream cheese
>>
>>8304652

make tres leches cake. it's the ultimate dessert, regardless of occasion.
>>
>>8303237

i had an excellent yam dish at a restaurant and i'm trying to recreate it for thanksgiving.

it had lemon creme fraiche on the bottom of the plate and was seasoned with za'atar. anyone have experience with that type of thing?
>>
File: ed104370_0309_des007c_vert.jpg (2MB, 1040x1300px) Image search: [Google]
ed104370_0309_des007c_vert.jpg
2MB, 1040x1300px
>>8304652
If your family is big on "tradition" they'll get butthurt if you don't have a pumpkin/pecan pie. Whipped cream and vanilla ice cream are mandatory as well if you go the pie route.

Tarte tatin would take more prep but it tends to impress if you lay the apples or pear slices down clockwise.
>>
File: duck_PNG4998.png (3MB, 2535x2901px) Image search: [Google]
duck_PNG4998.png
3MB, 2535x2901px
>>8303237
Its going to be a small thanksgiving this year, only three people, so I thought it would be a waste to buy a big huge turkey, so I got a duck instead.

I was told that its a rip off buying a turkey at the white grocery store so I got one in Chinatown, where it was nearly half the price for a bigger bird that wasn't frozen.

Thing is it came with the head on it. Is there anything special about removing the head or is it just chop it off where ever I feel.
>>
>>8303791
You're the one that wants that specific turkey. They're the only one offering it. You should be thankful if anything.
>>
>Bought 10 lb frozen turkey for $0.59/lb
>10 lbs of sweet potatoes at $0.15/lb

I'm not even making thanksgiving dinner tomorrow but this was the most excited I ever got for food shopping.
>>
>>8304652
>Thanksgiving desert

I'm not sure if you'll find any recipes for the Sahara, but might I suggest the Pecan Pie recipe on the back of Karo corn syrup for a dessert? Pretty hard to fuckup if you buy store made chemical pie crust.
>>
>>8304635
Probably gonna be busy here tomorrow, lots of drunk fucks who would rather fuck off on /ck/ than spend time with family.
>>
>>8303321
>putting your dick in something your going to eat
>>
>>8303237
i want to make a turkey gravy but my mom always just roasts and serves the turkey right from a disposable foil pan. any ideas to get browned bits and such? she's vegetarian btw.
her turkey's nasty but damn if i'm going to be bothered to cook
>>
>>8304666
Thanks. What happens if I'm lazy and go for cream cheese? Will you yell at me?
>>
>>8304662
Is it something I can learn in a day? Because I need this shit done tomorrow.
>>8304667
>cake made of milk, milk, and more milk
Are you sure? I'm not can't say I'm a big milk fan so it'll be tough to judge whether it's good or not.
>>8304676
I don't think they care about tradition. Either way, they asked me at the last minute so they'll get what they get and like it.
What you posted actually looks pretty good.
>>8304702
Anything "hard to fuckup" sounds good.
>>
>>8304717
Take the neck and giblets before she throws them away, brown them, and use them to make stock in advance. Use the stock (plus any worthwhile pan drippings, if any) to make proper gravy immediately before serving dinner.
>>
File: DSC_0168.jpg (3MB, 3216x2136px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0168.jpg
3MB, 3216x2136px
>>8303395
this. foil shields work to insulate against heat from the oven.

I did a friendsgiving on saturday where I dry brined and spatchcocked the turkey serious eats style. The skin kind of got ugly whilst carving but was delicious and super good with the right gravy and everyone had a good time (pic related).

Cooking the turkey at my gf's thanksgiving early tomorrow because my parents are assholes and took thanksgiving away from me after promising to let me cook, but instead we're going to our rich second cousin's nice apartment (which is nice but the food is always terrible and the kids who show up are always afwful and we only go so my mom can live out her rich person upper east side fantasy).

At least I'll get the adoration of my gf's family.
>>
>>8304724
can you learn this in a day?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCSKLOuthU8
>>
>>8304724

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-ginger-pumpkin-pie-with-graham-cracker-crust-36857

^this dessert is calssic and hard to fuck up
>>
File: 1479254699317.png (1MB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1479254699317.png
1MB, 900x900px
Okay /ck/, I need your help.

I have pre-cooked spiral ham that I have to heat for almost 3 hours at 275, and right after taking it out I'll be baking other shit for 50-60 minutes and then I'll be done with all the cooking and it will be time to eat.

My question to you anons is this: how do I keep my ham warm in that 1 hour time frame?

I was thinking about putting it in the crock pot with some broth on "warm", but I'm worried that will dry it out. Do you guys think that will happen? If so, do you think a better plan instead would be to put the ham in the oven, but for an hour less than planned, and then have it sit in the crock pot for that one hour I'm baking the other stuff?

Thoughts are appreciated.
>>
>>8304720
No but cream cheese will mute the toasty flavor and make the texture coagulate weirdly. 2/10
>>
File: 1.jpg (74KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
74KB, 1536x1152px
My family did TG a day early this year, so now I've got the kitchen cleaned, the china dry and put away, and I'm sipping on the last bottle of wine (that somehow did not get opened during dinner) while occasionally checking on the stock pot that's simmering away on a turkey carcass. Another Thanksgiving success here, feels good.

>>8304740
Just cover the ham with foil and it will stay warm enough - nobody expects meat served on a platter to be oven-hot, just warm. If you really want to serve it hot, warm the ham and pull it out before you glaze it - save that step for the very last thing you do with the oven before serving.
>>
>>8304730
>this. foil shields work to insulate against heat from the oven.
No, it only keeps moisture in contact with the skin thus keeping the skin from browning.
>>
>>8304685
>You should be thankful if anything
What do you think this is, some sort of thanks giving or something?
>>
>>8304755
>shamelessly spreading misinformation
>>
>>8304742
This recipe looks a little different than what I'm used to eating. I'll take your advice and skip the cheese then, I won't have time to grab any other ingredients tomorrow.
>>
>>8304680
>thought it would be a waste to buy a big huge turkey, so I got a duck
>was told that its a rip off buying a turkey at the white grocery store so I got one in Chinatown
get ur story straight
>>
>>8304755
why would you want to want to insulate against heat in AN OVEN WHOSE PURPOSE IS TO CREATE HEAT
>>
>>8304783
to prevent the turkey breast from overcooking, as it requires less cooking than the thighs
>>
>>8303698

Frankly there's more than enough fat in Turkey that you don't need to rub it in butter. Just season it and stuff with herbs. Add the missing butter in later when making the gravy with drippings.
>>
>>8304176

>cook turkey at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes

secret method unlocked
>>
>>8304519

>food obviously rancid
>serve it anyway I DONT HAVE ANY CHOICE

are there really idiots like this?
>>
>>8304740

In the time that the other shit you baked is cooling, pop the ham back in and crank the heat for 5 minutes, should get it sizzling a bit but the inside should still be warm too
>>
>>8304724
Recipe spam incoming

>Fancy apple minis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKOla0-aW5o

>Chocolate pecan pie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDpoT0jvg4Y

>Bread pudding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yQHLbMBSf0

>Apple tarte variant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTl333YSwkY

>Blueberry crumble
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp-Dy2agoN4

>No-bake 3-ingredient desserts (strawberry icebox is GOAT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zzE9nFYUHM

>No bake pumpkin cheesecake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iI5RjloHbA

>No bake tiramisu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyC1taqe6Ow
>>
Just finished up the gizzard and neck aspic for glazing the turkey tomorrow.
Standard brine setup for the bird. How does /ck/ like to prepare their turkey?
>>
>>8304827
One more

>6 ingredient apple mini pies
https://youtu.be/ZivPq1l0__4?t=196
>>
>>8304796
the top turkey recipe on the internet (alton brown) calls for baking with 500 degrees
>>
>nobody itt making carbonara with hotdogs and heavy cream

the fuck, you fu/ck/s
>>
>>8304833
>aspic for glazing
Never thought about capturing gelatin just for glazing. What does this achieve that basting with pan juices can't?

My preferred method for cooking turkey is an overnight roast - tastes good, looks good, no stress.
>>
>>8304839

alton brown is a fuckin hack, I mean, I like him but take what he says with a grain of salt. 500 for anything is usually too high. Best method for baking turkey is doing it for about 60% of the time on 450 and then lower it to 325 for the rest. Generally this cuts about 1-2 hours off cooking time compared to cooking at 325 the whole time.
>>
>>8304862
>>8304839 is dumb. Alton's recipe is like everyone elses; you start with a hot oven >425 for a half hour or so then finish at a medium oven 325 - 350.

Ovens are not precise so nobody should care about 25 degree variance on oven settings for meat roasting.
>>
>>8304862
not only does alton know exactly what he's talking about when it comes to almost anything food related, but its literally the top recipe on the internet. numbers dont lie. you should look into barbara kafka's book about roasting
>>
>>8304873
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe.html

>Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes.

who's the dumb one now?
>>
>>8304880
You are
>Then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting.
>>
my port cranberry sauce is ready and bound to kill it tomorrow night boys

>when all the senpai gets cozy to watch an snl special and its not really funny but you can't help but smile at the jokes because everyone else is enjoying it and the good vibe in the air is infectious

god i fucking love this holiday
>>
>>8304886
i said the recipe calls for baking at 500 degrees. does it or does it not?
>>
>>8304876
If I want to make ice cream by blowing a fire extinguisher through a filing cabinet I'll check out Alton brown, if I want someone who knows what they're doing, I'll check cooks illustrated instead
>>
>>8304386
My family normally justs cuts up fresh bread to use. Should we toast it before hand?
>>
>>8304898
>unironically being this ignorant
>>
>>8304901
Stale or toasted hold up better in the stock, fresh bread can get mushy or break apart.
>>
>>8303237
I plan on taking my turkey out of the oven once the breast reads 150 degrees. is a good temp?
>>
>>8304922
go to 165 to be safe
>>
File: 067a-Fantastic 011 001 Heritage.jpg (527KB, 1081x1500px) Image search: [Google]
067a-Fantastic 011 001 Heritage.jpg
527KB, 1081x1500px
wife wants to make vegetarian shepard's pie for thanksgiving instead of turkey or ham

what do
>>
>>8304922

Yeah, 150 is going to be pale pink. 155 - 160 is better
>>
>>8303698
you're a cuck and your turkey tastes of poverty
>>
Recently I've taken up duck hunting. Needless to say, I've got a lot of duck meat.

Anyone like duck? What is your favorite way to prepare it?
>>
>>8304942
saute the breasts
confit the legs
enrich a poultry stock with the carcass.
>>
should you add flour to your gravy or nah?
>>
Do you guys think four people will be able to eat an entire twenty pound turkey?
>>
>>8304932
find a new wife

>>8304947
you need flour to make a roux, but I wouldn't add flour directly to your gravy otherwise

>>8304950
Not in one sitting, unless the four people were all very hearty eaters and willing to overeat by a lot.
>>
>>8303406
Mix three tablespoons of kosher salt with one tablespoon of baking powder. Liberally sprinkle i on the turkey. Refrigerate for at least twelve hours. Roast.
>>
>>8304950

About half of that will be meat. 2.5 lbs of meat per person is a lot, so no.
>>
I have a good amount of pumpkin filling, what can I do with it that's not pie
>>
>>8304953
>Not in one sitting

How many other people should I invite for there to be a reasonable amount of people to eat a turkey of that size?

Would you say like two pounds of turkey per person?
>>
File: 1445884595252.jpg (302KB, 1080x1092px) Image search: [Google]
1445884595252.jpg
302KB, 1080x1092px
>>8303698
Butter creates uneven browning due to the water content. And basting only serves to keep the skin from crisping. You may have good seasoning, but your technique is shit.
>>
>>8304534
It's traditional, the seasonings are right, the champagne is weird and you let it rest for 30 minutes, not 15. Good luck, cuck
>>
https://youtu.be/-nJLpx0Qx1o

What do y'all think of this recipe
>>
would swaglord sticky a /ck/ thread?
>>
>>8304962
Ravioli/lasagne filling
Chickpea curry
On a pizza with mushroom
Soup
Mix with ricotta, top cruditees
Quiche

>>8304965
~3-4
>>
>>8304598
The seasonings don't get into the meat. That's a misconception.
>>
What beer are you cooking your turkey in?

Coors light here.
>>
File: 1466737579468.jpg (106KB, 560x510px) Image search: [Google]
1466737579468.jpg
106KB, 560x510px
>>8304711
>Being this stupid or trolling this weakly
>>
>>8304968
I don't get the basting part either since one of the main reasons of rotisserie is that it self bastes with every turn. But at least he's roasting and not baking like the rest of the plebs in the thread.
>>
>>8304990
>That's a misconception.
Try Alton brown's brine. You'll taste allspice throughout the whole breast. So much so my family complained about it.
>>
OK nerds. I'm now going to present my family's stuffing recipe. Believe me or don't, but this dish is superb. And it only takes 5 hours to prepare. The ingredients are a little expensive but well worth it -- this is a holiday so let's not stint on the love for others. Even if you can't make it this year save this text.

You will need:
* optional: some chicken gizzards (boil for 1.5 hours with a bay leaf and a pinch of salt before mincing up and frying)
2 packs sweet/mild italian sausage (each pack weighing a pound or a pound and a half or so) -- skin removed
4-6 cloves garlic
2 small onions or 1 large onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 green pepper, diced
½ cup brandy
1 cup madeira or marsala wine
1 cup currants or chopped raisins (you just want them to distribute well)
pecans -- even a whole pound is fine!!
1 small bag dried apricots = 1 cup
slightly less than 1 cup dried cranberries
pine nuts, 1/2 cup or even more if you like
2 pears, diced
5 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade)
A full cornbread made in a cast-iron skillet
-it takes 2 packs of Jiffy mix in a skillet to make a full cornbread
-preheat skillet in oven and then coat with butter before adding batter
-2/3 cups milk -- buttermilk is preferable but normal milk acceptable
-2 eggs

First make the cornbread, then chop into small pieces, and dry out on a sheet in the oven as it cools
Now, in a dutch oven with at least 7 quarts capacity:
cook italian sausage well, breaking it up as it cooks, & remove w slotted spoon,
(if using minced gizzards, fry separately in butter at this time)
fry veggies in the grease of the sausage till soft
add wine, boil, then add brandy and try to light brandy aflame -- nbd if this doesnt work
add all ingredients including chicken broth to moisten
bake covered 2 hours at 250 -- at the end
no additional eggs, salt or spices, not even the traditional sage

Enjoy!
>>
>>8304598
Actually if the turkey is juicy by cooking it right brining wont add much. Brining only helps if you dont know how to cook a bird. Also the heat drops 10 degrees F for every second the oven is open. But if you dont have a shit ovem this isnt a problem.

>>8304612
Just dont baste it right before it comes out. Pit it on broil for 5 minutes if you have to.

And for the both of you inject that shit with melted butter before you cook it and put any seasonings under the skin along with slices of butter.
>>
>>8304615
>>8304625
Got em.
>>
>>8305011
>Brining only helps if you dont know how to cook a bird

Stopped reading right there. You're an idiot. No one, who knows anything at all about cooking would recommend not brining poultry.

There are other ways to be "edgy" without promulgating misinformation.

Oh, I just heard your mom calling. It's time for bed.
>>
File: 51jhz0P2z8L.jpg (40KB, 372x500px) Image search: [Google]
51jhz0P2z8L.jpg
40KB, 372x500px
>>8304652
This stuff right here is pretty good. Use 2 boxes though. One box makes it really thin.
Or just get a pie crust and a bag of blueberries. Just get frozen its easier and you dont have to add water.
>bag of frozen berries in a pot. Add some sugar. SOME sugar dont go all sweet tea on it. Dont add water
>cook it on medium low until it makes like a blueberry paste. About the consistency of...well im sure youve eaten blueberry pie.
>either put this on your cheesecake or fill a piecrust with it and bake it.
Optionally you can make extra and fill a crust, while also adding it to said cheesecake.
>>
>>8305011
literally retarded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKrBqN4jl8I
>>
>making a Thanksgiving sticky
>Calling it a general
Just delete this board already.
>>
>>8305037
I dont need your feedback. My turkey is as juicy as a brined one. I typically brine before i make fried chicken.
Heres my brine.
1 cup salt
1 gallon of water
2 cups of soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup regular sugar.
>fite me rite now
>>
>>8304965

Realistically if you have a bunch of side dishes and some of the people are women/children, then you will need like 1 lb of meat per person.
>>
>>8305047
>Fried chicken brine
>no citrus
You're still not convincing anyone you know what you're doing.
>>
>>8305053
I dont need to.
Forgot the little bit of lemon juice sue me.
Youll probably go to chinese anyway why do you give a shit?
>>
>>8304968
Please, nigger, I've been cooking turkeys since you were in diapers. My technique is golden.
>>8304997
Even pro rotisserie places have an occasional baste. It's an event to add flavor on the outside, not the inside.

I can't believe people here are such fucking plebs about this. Doubt me all you like, but I'm right. And fuck all the haters. Now, I'll go back to attending my broth and stuffing ingredients and you guys can suck a turd out of my ass. Enjoy your devils doughnuts.
>>
>>8305053
Also here is my cheesecake recipe
>crust
15 graham crackers, crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted
>gooey stuff
4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup milk
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
>One capfull of lemon juice (important part i didnt forget this time desu)
If you say this is bad then theres no help for you because its better than anything you'd get from Juniors.
>>
>>8305071
>this guy knows whats up
>>
File: 1401386819358.jpg (586KB, 840x630px) Image search: [Google]
1401386819358.jpg
586KB, 840x630px
OP preach

I brined my turkey in a trashbag, am I gonna die?

Also, I'm already cooking tonight for tomorrow's dinner. Sweet potatoes, mustard greens, and stuffing tonight, the rest tomorrow.

We get sloshy on orange juice and champagne while we stuff the turkey and finish up the side dishes -- family tradition.
>>
>>8305078
>is that sweet p'tader pie?
>>
>>8305078
you're going to die, I guarantee it

But you probably won't die as a direct result of brining your turkey in a garbage bag, no.
>>
Who /PublixThanksgiving/ here? Bought a big 22lb butterball cooked turkey and a shit ton of Publix sides, and them fucking Sister Schubert Rolls.
>>
>>8305072
I'm a lazy bitch and did the kraft pumpkin cheesecake recipe. I also did a cheese spread for crackers(Velveeta and cream cheese, stupid easy but everybody serms to love it) and sugar cookies with lemon icing.

Everybody else handles the dishes and sides. I juat make some stuff for snacking and dessert.
>>
>>8305078
How many mimosas would it even take to get drunk?
>>
>>8305010
I forgot to add that you should remove the cover for the last 20ish mins of cooking to reduce the moisture. If this doesnt work crank the heat higher and keep testing every 5 or 10 mins. You can also use your broiler to make a nice crispy crust.
>>
>>8305092
Out of curiosity, do you buy the pre-made supermarket meals solely for convenience, or do they actually rival the quality of what you can produce in your own kitchen?

I used to work for Kroger, and the pre-made stuff our delis sold for thanksgiving tended to be fairly bland (everything sweet and salty).
>>
>>8305047
How long to brine for a 15 lb turk
>>
>>8305186
1-2 days, any shorter and it's not worth the trouble
>>
>>8305254
Somehow you're fucking up the crust, depending on what you're doing you might need to pre-bake the crust, or just quit rolling the crust so thin.
>>
>>8303237
Germanfag here. What the fuck is a "Thanksgiving"? Some kind of Burger meme?
>>
>>8305281

American holiday specifically focused around eating large quantities of food, especially turkey and sweet potato/pumpkin dishes.
>>
>>8305285
>American holiday specifically focused around eating large quantities of food
Don't they do this every day?
>>
>>8305288

Yes but on Thanksgiving you take off of school and work for 2 days so you can digest properly because of how much you've eaten. It's like the difference between eating 3kcals/day as a burger and 6kcal on Thanksgiving. I pulled these numbers out of my ass but you get the picture.
>>
>take a ham
>slather it with Dijon mustard
>stick brown sugar and gingersnap crumbs on it
>slow roast to perfection
>>
>>8305281
>>8305288
Thanksgiving and Christmas are the two most important holidays in the US (only New Year's Eve, Easter and Independence Day (July 4th) come close to being as important) and they're celebrated by nearly everyone regardless of region, class, race, or religion.

Thanksgiving is a holiday that typically involves getting together with family for a feast that almost always includes a whole turkey (most often a roast turkey). It's a holiday that continues the tradition of harvest celebrations that predate the arrival of Europeans to North America,but is often linked to a tradition established by the early Pilgrim settlers that landed in New England in the 1600's, and ever since 1863 we've officially been celebrating it on the last Thursday in November.
>>
>>8303237
what or why is thanksgiving celebrated? where did it originate?
>>
>>8305349

Look at the post immediately preceding yours.
>>
File: 1476861984749.jpg (32KB, 322x432px) Image search: [Google]
1476861984749.jpg
32KB, 322x432px
>>8305071
Sorry faggot, but I've got almost two decades of cooking Thanksgiving dinner under my belt, and it's stubborn, ornery fuckheads like you that got us stuck with dry birds, jellied cranberry sauce, and green bean casserole using canned fucking soup for thirty years. Science says you're wrong, and all the anecdotal evidence in the fucking world don't make you right.
>>
File: CwxvoVDVQAA4XbP.jpg (68KB, 675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CwxvoVDVQAA4XbP.jpg
68KB, 675x1200px
>>8305071
>And fuck all the haters.

This is the biggest red flag to alert you that someone doesn't know what they're talking about.
>>
>>8304809
>>8304752
Thanks for the advice friendos
>>
How many non-americans celebrating thanksgiving this year? What time do people in the US usually eat their thanksgiving meal?
>>
>>8305445
Says you, dimwit. Are you really that stupid to think that I (or anyone else for that matter) would lie about something like cooking a turkey? How fucking thick are you? I realize that /ck/ gets off on arguing about cooking techniques, but mine are impeccable, of that there's no doubt. So fag off, Faggy Faggerson.
>>
>>8305379
Sorry you're such a shit cook. My condolences. I'll be enjoying a beautiful, golden brown, juicy ass turkey, with no one to fuck it up, unlike at your house, with your shit tier casseroles (and who the fuck eats canned cranberry sauce?). I feel sorry for people like you, who've never been taught anything about cooking and think Alton Brown is some kind of genius. I bet your house looks like a fucking Sandra Lee nightmare right about now, you worthless piece of shit.
>>
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html
>>
File: dead turkey.jpg (53KB, 635x336px) Image search: [Google]
dead turkey.jpg
53KB, 635x336px
Sad!
>>
File: standish.jpg (311KB, 771x1024px) Image search: [Google]
standish.jpg
311KB, 771x1024px
>>8305349
Originated during the Civil War based on a largely romanticized tale of the original settlers and natives following a successful harvest.
It's culturally significant because the those in the colony barely survived their first winter in 1620, but by fall of 1621 there was a sense of relief they could thrive through the next winter season.
[spoiler] 50 years later, following increased tensitons between the natives and the settlers, a brutal war broke out that severely hurt the settlers, but they fought back, and brutalized the native tribes. Beginning an policy of indian relations that would continue to well...Standing Rock.

Thats the history, Happy Thanksgiving from Plymouth county, MA.
>>
>>8305530
How long do you think turkeys live?
>>
>>8305537
Break out the smallpox blankets, hurrah!!!!
>>
File: 1478758025858.jpg (37KB, 400x345px) Image search: [Google]
1478758025858.jpg
37KB, 400x345px
Spouse and My First Thanksgiving since we got married, second alone, no family:

Spatchcocked, Dry-Brine Turkey (first time cooking Turkey ever)
Lamb lollipops (hate this term)
Stuffing
Pecan Pie
Eggnog w/bourbon + Homebrewed Oktoberfest

It'll be a 24/7 Home Alone/Christmas Vacation marathon with drinking and video games. Pretty excited to not have to leave the house at all or entertain.

>>8304666
Feel like my roasted cauliflower puree is kind of bland, thanks for the recipe, will try.
>>
>>8304932
Have your wife's son make it
>>
>>8305545
That was more accidential than intentional. Early surveyers/explorers of the New England coastline reported "fires as far as the eye could see".

When they made first contact as explorers/traders (not settlers) they introduced the virus. I think the estimate is that most of the local tribes were decimated by foreign disease before the pilgrims even landed. Shit, if the Wampanoags knew the Pilgrims were bringing a plague they probably would have avoided them completely
>>
File: a monster.jpg (267KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
a monster.jpg
267KB, 2048x1152px
I've made this monstrosity as a dessert for my family. It might give them a heart attack.
>>
>>8305537
2 minute overview and a decent article.
http://www.history.com/topics/pilgrims
>>
>>8305044
There's been a Thanksgiving sticky every year.
>>
>>8304534
It makes me so happy to know you've grown up and eat real food now. It really does. Today, I am thankful for you and others like you branching out and becoming non-vego. The champagne is weird like the other girl said and yes let it rest longer, too.
>>
File: 1446246075519.jpg (27KB, 517x800px) Image search: [Google]
1446246075519.jpg
27KB, 517x800px
>>8305505

Somebody is sure defensive
>>
Is thanksgiving today (Thursday) or tomorrow? Bong here, figured it is an excuse to cook something a little different and finally open the bourbon that has been sitting in my cupboard.
>>
>>8305632
Thursday.
>>
>>8305594
better overview and a second slice of Americana for non burgers.

Bountiful harvests to you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dThi9PG7Lo
>>
>>8305634

Cheers, guess I'm off to the shops this afternoon.
>>
Too late to brine turkey, now?
>>
File: 1475527800720.jpg (91KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
1475527800720.jpg
91KB, 800x640px
>>8305652
16 - 24 hours, so yes
>>
>>8303237
I did a 'kitchen sink' brine where I made a basic brine with brown sugar and salt. Then I added tangerines and any spice I could find in my pantry that seemed right. It smells really good already and it was soaking for about 24 hours. I have it sitting in the fridge now, sealed and drying.
I'm also making mashed potatoes, simple salad and pumpkin pie. This is all gonna be on Friday though since I'm going to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. I am dreading it.
>>
>>8305624
Not really, just drunk and bored while I wait for some stuff to finish in the kitchen, and I occasionally enjoy baiting people with outrageous bullshit.

P.S. My turkey is still the best fucking turkey ever made, though.
>>
I'm Turkish and I don't like turkey
>>
>>8304730
I AM ALSO PROVIDING SUSTENANCE TO MY MATES FAMILY DURING THIS RITUAL CELEBRATION SO AS TO ASSERT MY DOMINANCE IN THE CLAN HIERARCHY.
>>
>>8305718
So move.
>>
non-merifat here.
when was thanksgiving again? is it today?
>>
>>8305741
The fourth Thursday of November.
It started as basically a harvest festival for Europeans who settled in America.
>>
>>8305748
>The fourth Thursday of November.
ah, I'll try to remember.
so can turkey actually taste good? it's not part of our food culture, we usually get duck or goose on holidays. It always seems like turkey is super dry.
>>
>>8305754
It is easy to make it dry. It can be moist like any other bird if you cook it properly and don't over cook it. Just doesn't have as much fat as a goose or duck and a lot of white meat compared to the amount of dark meat on it.
>>
Making Boston creme pie. Why is making custard so hard for me? Every time I fuck it up. This time, as usual, it didn't thicken in the fridge. I had to reheat it on the stove. Hopefully it thickens this time. I'm trying to assemble this before I go to bed.
>>
I'm smoke cooking a 17 lbs. turkey with hickory chips and a season I found online containing Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme I thought it'd be cute. I'm making it for a potluck tomorrow and today I'm just throwing a turkey breast in the oven before my wife drags me around for early black Friday shopping
GOD BLESS AMERICA
>>
>>8305764
so why not use a more premium bird for your holidays? I get doing it for thanksgiving, I guess it's pretty tradition bound. but what about Christmas?
>>
>>8305772
You need to escape to a cave or she will think it's okay to take you forever shopping
>>
>>8305773
For Christmas I normally do a goose and prime rib and Easter is Ham. Thanksgiving I guess because of the tradition is Turkey and then a spiral ham for people who don't like turkey. Like you said I guess just tradition is the only reason.
>>
>>8305774
She hardly ever goes shopping she's just excited about the sales because we can get our Christmas shopping done early and cheaply. It's kind of cute actually seeing her giddy.
>>
>>8305785
Well that's cool then. You can tell you love her just by the way you say that. Enjoy the endless lines and make videos of the crazies who flip out.
>>
>>8305778
but I've heard a lot of people do turkey for christmas? I guess it's not too strict what constitutes a christmas dinner then?
Where I live I think it's pretty strictly a variation of pork roast, duck or goose.
>>
>>8305797
A lot probably do but I don't like the turkey for Thanksgiving then turkey again right after for Christmas. I would get tired of it fast. Pork roast actually is something I haven't tried yet for a holiday meal. Maybe this year I can do that instead of the prime rib to save some cash. Thanksgiving is normally some form of turkey and then it's just whatever for the other big holiday meals and varies a lot depending on family traditions really.
>>
>>8305803
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fl%C3%A6skesteg we make this one, it's pretty good.
>>
>>8305808
That actually looks/sounds really good. I'm going to bookmark it and try it out on my own before Christmas and see how it goes. Thanks. I like how it has the two textures into it with the crackling on the outer edge and nice meat on the inner part.
>>
>>8305808
We like our Roast Pork done the same way in Britain.

Red cabbage in Britain is mostly pickled and along with other pickles, it's often served with cold meats on Boxing Day, we don't really eat red cabbage with hot meat.
>>
>>8303237
For me, it is the McChicken the best fast food sandwich
>>
>>8305831
>Red cabbage in Britain is mostly pickled and along with other pickles
same, usually gherkins for christmas. it's there for the hot christmas dinner though.
>>
>>8304880
I've actually followed this recipe in the past (Thanksgiving 2 years ago). I thought 500 degrees seemed too high to start the turkey on, but the turkey was surprisingly moist throughout and cooked all the way through. The only issue I had was that the skin on top browned too quickly, but that can be resolved by slapping on the foil earlier.
>>
>>8305838

it took 220 posts.
>>
File: 1310483412111.jpg (31KB, 425x429px) Image search: [Google]
1310483412111.jpg
31KB, 425x429px
So im awake a yoine else awake
im fuggin awake
iun care about spelling errors

i gt like so much shit to do.
pic unrelated.
>>
Bread dough was resting/rising for 16.5 hours. Just put it in the oven. It smells heavenly!
>>
File: Thanksgiving_desserts_2016.jpg (874KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Thanksgiving_desserts_2016.jpg
874KB, 1280x960px
Desserts: French silk chocolate pie, pumpkin pie, two strawberry pecan tarts (had to do something with all that left-over pastry dough) and three little loaves of whole-wheat banana nut bread.
>>
File: 1474273963157.jpg (76KB, 521x521px) Image search: [Google]
1474273963157.jpg
76KB, 521x521px
>mfw a my family of 3 is having a turkey and a ham
>mfw macaroni and cheese
>mfw two pies, sweet potato and apple
>mfw Stuffing
>mfw heaps of collard greens
>All homemade aside from the pies
GOD
BLESS
A M E R I C A
>>
>>8305997
My parents have that exact same blender, it is so 1970s. That pea soup color was everywhere
>>
Who /stuck at relatives here/? Flew in Tuesday, sleeping on an air mattress, because fuck renting a car and getting a hotel for a trip I was strong armed into and I get to not cook on my favorite holiday. I've been begging my aunt to help, but between her, my mom, the sisters and my cousins fiancé, it's a no boys club. I've been banished to the garage with my dad, uncles and cousins and it's all beer and prepping the fryer for the birds.

I know I sound like a little bitch, but fuck, I just want to cook. Post pics you glorious bastards.
>>
Happy Thanksgiving fu/ck/s
>>
Is this the holiday where americans fuck their cousins?
>>
File: DAT DIVE KICK.jpg (55KB, 268x598px) Image search: [Google]
DAT DIVE KICK.jpg
55KB, 268x598px
>>8306113
Obsession
>>
Hi folks

Do you think a crock pot on low would work as a sou vide? If so how long for goose breast?
>>
>>8306118
I love America!
>>
>>8306113

No, No that's valentines day.

>>8306052
Learn some excuses, like being mandated to work on thanksgiving/Black Friday and not being able to come.
>>
>>8306113
its the one we celebrate being thankful for having been given the greatest country on earth

I'm so stoked for today guys. I'm just having coffee for breakfast.

Cooked last night the gravy turned out really good, just gotta reheat

Happy Thanksgiving!
>>
>>8306138
>No, No that's valentines day.
Huh. Isn't that when you celebrate the release of persona 5?
>>
>>8305133
Fresh out of bed? One. It's 12.5% alcohol halved with OJ, so like a 6% beer.

Buzzed and my Turkey is in the oven. I really could just go take a nap until noon-- turkey won't be done until almost 3pm.

>>8305317
I'm not getting ham today, but this or pineapple ham is what I want to do with the clearance ham I know I'll get next week.
>>
So what order do you guys usually cook everything in, assuming you're making the whole dinner in your own kitchen? I only have one oven.
>>
>>8306156
>Cook desserts the day before
>cook meats in the morning
>Then sides
>>
>>8306138
>/Black Friday
We don't have this Thanksgiving stuff in Britain (why should we?)

But the amount of retailers on British TV spouting 'Black Friday' has really rustled my jimmies.

We have always had January Sales but to add another 'must buy now' Sales date - has me foaming at the mouth.
REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8304987
I meant a desert
>>
File: 1468813560912.jpg (22KB, 369x393px) Image search: [Google]
1468813560912.jpg
22KB, 369x393px
>>8306175
I hear the Sahara is pretty good.
>>
File: img343.jpg (722KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
img343.jpg
722KB, 2448x3264px
Someone posted a thread about this White Castle stuffing recipe, so I'm going to try making it today. I have the core ingredient.

https://www.whitecastle.com/food/recipes/recipes/white-castle-turkey-stuffing
>>
>>8306052
>tfw Grandma on Dad's side is allowed to do all the cooking for the holiday
>turkey is left in oven until 15 min before we are ready to eat
>Gramps told her to take it out last year and they argued about it
>>
>>8303237
As french i always wanted to Understand the spirit of thanksgiving. Is that as important as christmas for you?
>>
>>8303440
apple pie
>>
File: img342.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
img342.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8306190

... and, just for the heck of it, here's the Crave Case from which they came. I still marvel at the fact that this actually exists.
>>
>>8304141
>wife's daughters

kek
>>
>>8305602
Why call it a general then if its annual? Are the mods this new that they don't know basic definitions?
>>
File: 49325822.cached.jpg (100KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
49325822.cached.jpg
100KB, 800x500px
How can you selfishly celebrate the imperialist holiday of "Thanksgiving" while your government is teargassing and hosing down a bunch of Native Americans RIGHT NOW?
>>
>>8305624
>Anon tells story
>someone calls anon a faggot
>anon calls them a double faggot
>hurr durr don't be so defensive

So you're that person
>>
>>8306197
christmas > thanksgiving

It's like christmas without gifts. Eat food. Drink alcohol. Sit and watch American football. Faggots watch the stupid parade.
>>
>>8306173
Settle down ya 'tist. You know you don't HAVE to go shopping right?
>>
>>8306153
Are you cooking a forty pound turkey? Jesus Christ, my 23 pound bird is done in an hour.
>>
>>8306228
>You know you don't HAVE to go shopping right?
Of course not.
I just object to an American retail hype shopping day, being blasted into Britain.
>>
I'm going to 6PM Black Friday sales today. I can eat turkey leftovers tomorrow.
>>
>>8306229
That's not done, that's overcooked.
>>
>>8306221
HO, so it's like an adult in christmas ^^
>>
>>8305154
The sides and such are really fucking quality, the creamed spinach, the stuffing, really fucking good.
>>
>>8306261
but whitout us football... :(
>>
Just put the bird in the oven with stuffing. How's it going bros?
>>
File: 1455379344730.png (129KB, 314x278px) Image search: [Google]
1455379344730.png
129KB, 314x278px
>>8305078
people actually eat that powerade crap? and is that popcorn in a watermelon? this has to be bait
>>
>>8306214
You know, you're right. The articles I read about that shit going on up there makes me fucking SICK. However, I can't do a fucking thing about it, I'm over 2000 miles away from there. So, yeah, I'm going to have a nice Thanksgiving with my family, and hope that fucking someone with the jurisdiction steps in and stops the police from using the military issue "non-lethal" shit against people who have the right to assemble and protest.
>>
>>8306276
Caramel corn.
>>
uh sweetie, its november, thanksgiving was a month ago, why is the thread still up
>>
>>8306276
It was done for a photoshoot. The guy's an artist known for staging absurd candids.
>>
>>8306276
It's "art"
>>
File: 1429042796862.gif (891KB, 325x252px) Image search: [Google]
1429042796862.gif
891KB, 325x252px
>>8306286
>canada thinking it's relevant
>>
People forget that Thanksgiving was first established during the Civil War as a wartime holiday, intended to unite the Union and honor the sacrifices of its soldiers.
>>
>>8303511
Correct answer
>>
>>8303259

Thanks for the idea anon. Time to try it on a 20 pounder.
>>
Christ, no wonder you americans are such fat bastards.
>>
File: 1440783252150.jpg (183KB, 1124x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1440783252150.jpg
183KB, 1124x1024px
>>8306286
Begone leaf
>>
>>8306366
It's because our distinct protestantism that prevents us from properly observing lent following the holidays.

If we actually followed lent we wouldn't be so fat.
>>
>>8306366
Right? No one else in the world has holidays that include a big feast
>>
>>8306374
Except, a big feast to you occurs 365 days per year.
>>
>>8306378
huehuehuehue
>>
>>8304876
Exactly. That's why everyone knows bud light is the best beer in the world, because it's the number one selling beer. Duh.
>>
>tfw finished your prep already and have nothing else to do

how do I cope with this feeling?
>>
>>8306388
Play Black Mesa. It has Linux support now
>>
>>8306393

But is Xen out?
>>
>>8306397
Mid 2017
>>
>>8306373
>blaming religion for obesity
What else is new America?
>>
>>8304539
It's our feast day, bitch. Of course we celebrate.

It's the day of gorging yourself and watching football in half of a coma.
>>
who /getting shit wasted on mimosas in between prep being done and waiting for it to be time to start cooking/ here?
>>
>>8306214
I agree, we must protect these honorary aryans
>>
>>8306419
You should already be cooking
>>
>>8306286
>A
>FUCKING
>LEAF
>>
>>8306298
Now that would have made thanksgiving a pretty meaningful holiday, too bad it didn't persist
>>
Should I use Herbes de Provence on my leg of lamb, or just rosemary and garlic [and salt and black pepper]?

Or some other herbs and spices? I've got just about anything one could want as far as herbs and spices.
>>
>>8306491

Personally I prefer the latter. But I'm just a pleb cook.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>come to family's house for thanksgiving
>father didn't brine the turkey
>stuffing is from a bag
>4 jars of gravy

plz help
>>
>>8306526

Politely eat one plate. then go home and make your own damn dinner.
>>
>>8306524
I'll probably go with that then, most recipes online agree with you it seems.
I'm not a fan of over seasoning most meat anyway, simpler usually is better.
>>
>three hours away from civilization
>declined to buy a 4pk of dragon's milk before I left
>ask dad if he has any beer up here
>"I got an entire fridge of coors light"

Help me /ck/
>>
Why do recipes tell you to turn down the temperature part of the way through baking a pie? What does this accomplish?
>>
Turkey breast is in the oven after a day's dry brine. It's just me but I'm cooking some stuff like a big turkey breast and some sides. Now time to drink and get comfy while this cooks.
>>
>>8306564
You're a faggot
>>
20 LB Turkey is in the oven, Noted for next year, get a big turkey roaster. Foil Pans can't handle the pressure.
>>
>>8306566

I've never made a pie but it's probably to get a golden crust on the outside while still being able to cook the inside. If you kept the high temp the whole time it would just burn or the inside would be raw
>>
File: 20161124_103649.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_103649.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
rising these rolls again before baking

muh meemaws recipe
>>
>>8306113
no, but we should probably meme it until its true. I mean, who doesnt wanna fuck their cousin with no consequences?
>>
>>8306585

Give thanks for these dubs.
>>
>>8306639

People who actually have cousins and don't want to put their dick near things that their batshit insane aunts and uncles have raised?
>>
>>8305576
What the fuck am I looking at? It looks like a Little Cesar's deep dish that you covered in chocolate and candy.
>>
>>8306656
That's before it cooled properly. It's brownies with a layer of cheesecake on top, with a layer of melted chocolate sprinkled with chopped snickers and oreos.
>>
>>8306214
>i should cancel plans with my family because a bunch of redskins are being irrational morons
The pipeline goes UNDER the river and nowhere near their land. These dumb fucks are trespassing and vandalizing someone else's land.
>>
File: 1475764317923.png (76KB, 246x385px) Image search: [Google]
1475764317923.png
76KB, 246x385px
>>8306668
>It's brownies with a layer of cheesecake on top
my veins hurt just thinking about this

I made a pecan pie and only used 2/3 of the recommended sugar. Desert doesn't need to be heart attack fuel
>>
>>8306672
>implying that pipe won't leak
>implying that it being under the river isn't a problem
>>
>>8306684
>something being underneath the water table with somehow contaminate the water table

>oil companies allow their product to leak just to spite the enviroment
>>
File: IMG_5123.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5123.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
rate my bread
>>
>>8306684

You're right, we should switch to the cleaner and safer nuclear power. Think the Injuns would mind their land being used for storage?
>>
File: the full form.jpg (39KB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
the full form.jpg
39KB, 360x640px
>>8306682
Well, lesson learned for next time. Here's the finished product.
>>
>>8306706
That does look good, just so decedent
>>
This happened last year
Ever since my dad passed away, my mom been living by herself for a couple of years now.
The rest of my siblings moved out of state, while I have my own apartment, I still stayed in town.
Mom been suffering from parkinson disease, so since then I've been doing majority of the thanksgiving cooking.
Last year, Mom insisted that she wanted to do the cooking this year, I told her she can relax and I can do it, but she was very insistent since she wanted to feel useful again. So unfortunately i relented and let her do all the cooking.
Rest of my sibling arrived back in town. They all still think I've done all the cooking like the years before.
So when it came time to eat, they start to complain that I did a bad job, how bad the food tasted. Mom started to cry and told them that she's the one who made the food this year, they all said that she don't have to cover for me. Afterward they all blame me for making my mother cry and they uninvited me to the yearly Christmas vacation
>>
>>8306712

Consider them doing you a favor and saving you money.

Also adulthood is shit sometimes, you don't have to get along with your siblings. Odds are all they are trying to do is game your mother for a bigger share of the inevitable inheritance at this point and it's kind of sad.
>>
>>8306698

Post crumbshot. Looks good though.
>>
>>8306698
Would cut and butter/10

I bet it's got a nice, chewy inside. I love that kind of thick survival bread.
>>
>wait anon cooked that? never mind

get people sick ONE time and they act like your food is the plague.
>>
>>8306706
Sheeeeeeeeit, that'd be hard for me to swallow. I don't do overly sweet stuff but my wife loves it.
>>
>>8306712
Siblings sound shitty. Hope you have a good Thanksgiving with your mom.
>>
>>8306730

>Get people sick

How did it happen?
>>
File: 1461671310646.png (126KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
1461671310646.png
126KB, 399x388px
>>8306730
>cook meat until it's done
>never overcook it
>ONE TIME i served under cooked steak after someone told me to watch the meat
>didn't know anything about the meat it just looked done
>"oh anon doesn't know how to cook meat"
>if i cook meat they throw it back on the grill/skillet/oven
>they kill the meat like the normies they are
>burnt chewy meat is the "right way"
>>
File: 235407011_0_640x640.jpg (89KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
235407011_0_640x640.jpg
89KB, 640x640px
BritBong here, had one of these in your honour to today lads.
>>
>>8303237
Our bird. 19 pounds. No brine, just garlic salt, pepper, and butter rubbed just under the skin, basting every half hour or so. The stuffing is honey wheat bread with dice onions and mushrooms. It's all very basic. Apparently we are doing 4 hours at 325.

I am not cooking this turkey. I've never cooked a Thanksgiving turkey. How would you improve upon this, /ck/?
>>
>>8306691
There's leaks everywhere, all the time. Look it up. And once it leaks, it's virtually impossible to clean up.

>>8306700
>implying there aren't other options besides oil or nuclear.
>>
>>8306744
Oh I HATE when this happens. Everyone assumes because you hadn't learned to cook at the time that you will never learn. It's fucking bullshit is what it is. You just can't escape that preconceived notion.
>>
File: IMG_20161124_143016.jpg (1MB, 2080x1544px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161124_143016.jpg
1MB, 2080x1544px
I cooked my dinner for Thanksgiving!
>>
File: fwx-easy-cranberry-sauce-recipes.jpg (774KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
fwx-easy-cranberry-sauce-recipes.jpg
774KB, 2048x2048px
post your finest plebfilters
>>
>>8306804
I recommend more veggies and less dishwater in your diet.
>>
>that 1 aunt who refuses to cook with oil because it's "unhealthy"
>literally 'sauteeing' vegetables with water
>>
>mom/her sisters are all fighting
>nobody is coming over for thanksgiving
>see snaps of all my cousins at my aunts house eating together
>eating dinner with just my mom and dad tonight

feels lonely lads
>>
I'm doing my 15lb turkey for 20mins at 400 to brown then dropping the temp to 325 for the bulk of the cooking.

Should I cover it or leave it uncovered?
>>
>>8306818
fuck your cousins and your aunt
enjoy your dinner with your parents
>>
File: IMG_1628.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1628.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>8306835
Is that a Browning HP?
>>
>>8306841
Does that picture say "I have Browning money"?

It's a Hungarian FEG Hi Power clone.
>>
>>8306639
My mom was adopted so I can fuck my cousins as long as our relatives don't find out
>>
>>8306812

not dishwater, viking blod mead

the salmon was fucking perfect
>>
>>8306845
Didn't realise they were expensive on the civilian market.
I had one in Afghanistan before we got the Sig.
Smoked an Egyptian insurgent with it in Helmand.
Good times.
>>
>>8306804
That's a lot of protein.
>>
File: IMG_5126.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5126.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8306724
>>8306729
>>
>>8306023
>my family of 3

How fat are you and your family ?
>>
>>8306190
>>8306205
post finished product please, this is too American
>>
>>8306023
>>8306860

another family of three here

>multiple bottles of good wine
>freshly killed 15lb turkey, brined over night
>homemade ricotta stuffing
>homemade greenbean casserole
>mashed sweet potatoes
>fresh baked bread
>moms making a coconut custard pie

poorfags absolutely btfo
>>
File: image.jpg (490KB, 2067x1017px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
490KB, 2067x1017px
>>8306852
>>
>>8306860
We're not fat, we just like to do it big on thanksgiving. That way we don't have to cook for a while and we have food to spare whenever THOSE family members come by asking for a plate.
>>
File: 20161124_120701.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_120701.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>8306635
all done
>>
>>8306774
Put something on top of it to help keep it moist. Either cheesecloth, bacon, or pin pineapple slices to it.
>>
>>8304932
Rip her tits off with a meat hook
>>
>whole family is together on east coast
>live out west, have to work all week couldn't come home
>made a 10lb turkey, brined over night, covered in bacon and pancetta
>smells incredible
>pull it out of the oven, try a piece
>it's amazing
>transfer it over to a dish
>drop it
>smashes on the floor
>knock my drink over
>everything covered in screwdriver
>turkey ruined
>just ordered chinese
>trying not to cry

I salvaged some turkey but it's mostly all wet and mush and gross. Eat a lil extra turkey for me ;_;7
>>
File: image.jpg (948KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
948KB, 2592x1936px
Thoughts?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
how did my pie turn out?
>>
>>8306919
Is that a raisin or just a dark hole?
>>
>>8306919
that hole was made just for you
>>
>>8306855
Fluffy and just the right amount of heavy texture. Nice job, anon.
>>
>>8306919
Hearty, but what happened while it was baking?
>>
>>8306930

looks good, nice browning on the edges. it's hard to get pie crust right. most ppl undercook it. that looks good though.
>>
>>8306967
The recipe called for way less pecans. I put like 3x the called for pecans.
>>
>>8306900
Sorry bud.

Happy Turkey Day to the rest of you.
>>
>>8306931
Dark hole
>>
File: 20161124_125829.jpg (3MB, 2330x1640px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_125829.jpg
3MB, 2330x1640px
>>8306919
thoughts?
>>
>>8306960
I don't know, I don't make bread often this recipe comes strait off wikihow
>>
>>8306971

nigga its pecan pie load that shit up!!
>>
what to make with brussel sprouts?
>>
>>8306526
>Brining turkey

Completely unnecessary. But your dad is obviously a shit cook anyway, so I guess any crutch will help.
>>
Fuck, I don't have a baster and nothing around the house seems to do the same thing. Any ideas? The Turkey takes up the whole pan, so it's hard to get anything down there.
>>
>>8306979
Delete this
>>
>>8306949

I understand this reference.
>>
>>8306845
Stop smoking and drinking shitty expensive whiskey. That'll save you all kinds of money.
>>
>>8306984

Chop in half, toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake at 400 degrees until they get a little browned.
>>
>>8306983
Apparently most people think pecan pie should be all the jelly filling shit and a sprinkle of pecans on top. It's pretty fucking gross.
>>
File: 1436760020180.jpg (42KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1436760020180.jpg
42KB, 500x375px
>>8306712
Fuck those people. That hit me right in the Feels.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Table settings.
>>
>>8307020
That's like the garbage ones they sell at the grocery store. Horrible
>>
>>8307053
uh....why?
>>
>>8307057
Don't know. My mother likes doing it every year when I visit.
>>
>>8307053

My autism is triggered by the mismatching themes in the background.
>>
I have been cooking my 12 lbs turkey for 4 hours at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, I just checked the internal temperature and it's only 120 degrees Fahrenheit, the outside is already looking a little dry and chard but I have not reached a 150 degrees Fahrenheit internal temperature, what should I do?
>>
My mom fucked up and the inside of the turkey might still be frozen, because there's a fuckton of water coming out with the regular drippings.

I wanted to use the drippings for gravy, how do I fix these watery drippings?
>>
>>8307053

Looks cool. Where does the food go?
>>
File: 20161124_133655.jpg (1MB, 1751x1159px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_133655.jpg
1MB, 1751x1159px
>>8306930
Apple
>>
>>8307084
you have stock going.....right?
>>
File: 20161124_140340-3120x2340.jpg (1MB, 3120x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_140340-3120x2340.jpg
1MB, 3120x2340px
Grilled on a weber. Came out nice for my first try
>>
>>8307087
There is also the serving table and dessert table which are being set up. Family should be arriving soon with various goods.

Current count is:
Dinner:
>turkey
>cranberry stuffing
>cornbread stuffing
>mashed potatoes
>gravey
>baked Brie
>cheese platter
>biscuits
>corn casserole
>sweet potatoe casserole
>some vegetarian dish
>green bean casserole
>cranberry sauce

Drinks:
>cider
>egg nog
>stocked liquor cabinet

Desserts:
>pecan pie
>pumpkin pie
>bread pudding
>coconut cake

I made my food last night so I've spent the morning drinking. I'm now full of rum.
>>
File: 20161124_145514-2340x3120.jpg (1MB, 2340x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_145514-2340x3120.jpg
1MB, 2340x3120px
>>8307103

>Muh smoke ring
>>
>>8307069
All you can do now is lower the temperature and wait.
>>
>>8307069
Wrap it in foil to preserve exterior.
>>
>>8307069
All you can really do now it put some foil over it, lower the temperature, and maybe baste often to try to keep it from drying out.

Was it still partially frozen when you put it in? Four hours is a long fucking time for a bird that small.
>>
>>8307122
Basting is kind of a waste of time, I'd just wrap it up and keep going at 350.
>>
>>8307126
>I'd just wrap it up and keep going at 350.
Yup, braising is your next step.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Rate please.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8307144
Full spread pictures
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Standard turkey
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8307151
>>
>>8307144
>stuffing
>all one piece
>larger than 12lbs
Either tough legs or dried breasts / 10
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8307157
Unfortunately have store bought pumpkin pie.
>>
>>8307158
It's moist. Not sure how my mother manages it.
>>
>>8307144
enjoy yr salmonella
>>
>>8307144
>>8307151
>>8307157

overall 4/10
basically just finger food and turkey that got fucked with stuffing. Completely misses the point of Thanksgiving.
>>
>>8307177
Mashed potatoes and casserole are finger food? What are we missing?
>>
Who else made mulled wine?
>>
>>8306835
kek'd
>>
Just got home. Was a good TG lads. Live too far from family to travel to see them, but a friend was nice enough to invite me over to her home.

Had chicken noodle soup, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, meat pie, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, mud pie, and I made some cookies to bring.

It was breddy comfy.
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 800x537px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 800x537px
>making baked Mac and cheese
>fuck up tempering the egg
>end up with scrambled egg showing up in bits in cheese mix, can already tell it's ruined
>keep going for the hell of it, praying to god it comes out ok
>everyone hyped for what I'm making, they haven't seen me in years
>an hour and a half of it being done, everyone complimenting me on presentation
>literally the only thing I did right, everyone else can't notice the smell of egg
>finally eating it
>try it first, tastes so bad I'd prefer to get mouthed fucked by a sweaty Syrian dick
>sister spits it out
>mom is embarrassed
>sisters boyfriend filled half his plate with this shit, hoping for the best and missing out on more from every other dish.
>dad makes fun of me, as I type this from across the room still
>only my grandmother, with her destroyed tastebuds says it's good
>can't even stomach the rest of this dinner because of my failure

Going to drink myself till
I black out and walk into traffic, lads.
>>
>>8307157
>>8307160
>>8307153
>>8307151
>>8307144
>>8307088
>>8307103
>>8306879
God damn it why don't we have a day dedicated to eating
>>
File: 1461051141603.jpg (19KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1461051141603.jpg
19KB, 700x525px
Ck sticky whut
>>
>>8306880
The finished product. Wanted to thank you, man. Your post reminded me give it a few more rounds of basting and it came out AWESOME. Nice and moist white meat with a just so slightly crispy skin.
>>
>>8307108
>>8307053
you care far too much for a guy
>>
>>8306855
Am proud, son
>>
File: nom nom nom.webm (652KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
nom nom nom.webm
652KB, 720x404px
Just finished my Thanksgiving dinner. We had everything catered except for the stuffed shells (which I made) and BBQ meatballs (mom made it). Dinner consisted of the following:

Bell & Evans Turkey
Stuffing w/chopped sausage (no fennel)
Stuffed shells (homemade)
Sauteed broccoli Rabe
BBQ meatballs (homemade)
Cranberry & walnut rolls
Beef & barley soup
Cranberry compote

Dessert was as follows:

Pumpkin pie
Apple pie
Chocolate covered cheesecake
Turkey Hill vanilla & chocolate ice cream
Buttery caramel coffee
>>
File: dc4.jpg (9KB, 190x200px) Image search: [Google]
dc4.jpg
9KB, 190x200px
>>8307295
>classic baked macaroni and cheese
>eggs

There are no eggs in macaroni and cheese, Anon.
>>
>>8307053
looks great anon
>>
>>8307315
where are you from that you don't?
>>
>>8307377
no thanksgiving in Europe
>>
>>8307164
Salmonella stuffing, that's how. The issue with stuffed turkeys is you end up with either of the following:

>dry turkey with stuffing cooked all the way through
or
>moist turkey with undercooked stuffing

If you end up with the second, just take a couple of shots of hard liquor with your meal
>>
>>8307380
no Easter or Christmas either??

D :
>>
>>8307388
That is about presents not just food
>>
>>8307387
Trust me I drink a ton during thanksgiving. Fireball and eggnog.
>>
>>8307392
it's about food in my family and we usually gift each other food too.

who wants some shitty version of an item you were already going to get yourself when you can be given cured meats and beer : 3
>>
>>8303440
Chiles ahogados
>>
>>8303237
Yuro in America for this Thanksgiving. You guys got a great holiday. Though I'm bloated. 10/10 would do again.
>>
>>8303698
Lol'ed
>>
>>8307151
>guac at tahnks giving
>>
>>8307480
Dude you're gonna love the turkey sandwiches that're gonna be there for days to come.
>>
File: 20161124_170154.jpg (3MB, 2248x2076px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_170154.jpg
3MB, 2248x2076px
brussels sprouts: best side dish?
>>
I got so fucking hammered last night that I couldn't enjoy my Thanksgiving dinner because I am so hungover.

Puking up Turkey fucking blows. Wish I could just go to sleep.
>>
File: IMG_2836.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2836.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
>>
>>8307053

Please tell me what kind of plates those are.

PLEASE
>>
>>8307067
it's called eclectic you ignoramus.
>>
File: 20161124_155230.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_155230.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
#TEAMNOLEFTOVERS
>>
File: 20161124_172804.jpg (3MB, 1942x1957px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_172804.jpg
3MB, 1942x1957px
my plate sans dinner roll and cranberries
>>
>>8304534
Honestly if I was vegetarian, turkey would not be one of the meats that I would be willing to convert for
>>
>>8307053
richfag alert
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8307153
Round #2

8 hr smoker turkey
>>
File: IMG_0313.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0313.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
A Cornish hen, garlic mashed potatoes, stuffing, and green bean casserole. Rolls not pictured.

Nutty apple cake with brown sugar sauce for dessert.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
OP here. To everyone saying I'm crazy for roasting at 500 degrees, here's how my turkey came out. 500 degrees the first hour, then 350 until the breast reached 150 degrees. Perfectly cooked and moist, crispy brown skin. No basting or injecting.
>>
>>8306919
Your turkey is looking moist
>>
>>8307359
REEEEEEE

STOP LAUGHING
>>
>>8307650
Nobody cares what it looks like. All turkey's can look good. What temp are the legs?
>>
>>8307319
the breast meat looks pretty overcooked... and the fact that the pop-up thermometer popped kind of proves it
>>
>>8307663
It was surprisingly not overcooked.
>>
>>8307670
the internal temp got to 180 or more degrees dude
>>
File: A big guy.jpg (22KB, 384x420px) Image search: [Google]
A big guy.jpg
22KB, 384x420px
>>8303237

>you brined your turkey perfectly

>You bated your turkey perfectely.

>Everything was perfect.

>First time you made the turkey.

>You cooked it upside down.

>MFW
>>
>>8307682

*Basted.
>>
>>8307658
175. also this is a cooking image board. people care to see pictures of food.
>>
File: IMG_0251.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0251.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I'm so happy.

The bird came out great. Great food. Great family. I love my wife.
>>
File: 20161124_211637.jpg (3MB, 2120x2120px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_211637.jpg
3MB, 2120x2120px
22lb behemoth. So gosh dang good.
>>
File: 1470515897947.jpg (869KB, 500x795px) Image search: [Google]
1470515897947.jpg
869KB, 500x795px
>>8303237
I intentionally didn't eat all day so I could eat more Thanksgiving food and I'm getting lightheaded now

What this a dumb idea (y/n)
>>
>>8307716

>TFW as the primary cook, I've spent all the day sampling and therefore only have a small plate at the actual dinner

I regret fucking nothing.
>>
>>8307716

Depends on if you have any responsibilities for the rest of the night. If not, then you are doing hedonism right, now go take a godly nap with a full belly.
>>
>>8307714
I also made cookies.
>>
File: 20161124_154913.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_154913.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>
>>8307618
top tier doggo m8

>tfw even your pet knows you just cooked some dank shit
>>
File: BNN164cD-62.jpg (575KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BNN164cD-62.jpg
575KB, 1080x1080px
Rate my Mexican thanksgiving.. Always nice to have a diverse thanksgiving dinner. I'm thankful for diversity in this country
>>
>>8307724
Fuck me
>>
File: 20161124_171052.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_171052.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
This came out so fucking good. I've never had turkey so moist.
>>
>>8306835
Punisher/10
>>
File: 20161124_174814.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_174814.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
>>8307756
Everything came out so good, best thanksgiving in awhile.
>>
File: image.jpg (939KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
939KB, 1536x2048px
one of my 6 birds from this morning
ain't she perdy?
>>
File: IMG_20161124_220807323.jpg (2MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161124_220807323.jpg
2MB, 4320x2432px
/no friends or family/
>>
File: 20161124_191324.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_191324.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
Happy Thanksgiving /ck/!!!!!
>>
>>8307753
turkeylooksfuckinggross/10
>>
>>8307767
No vegetables?
>>
>>8307753

You have to go back.
>>
File: 20161124_085800.jpg (1MB, 1833x1031px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_085800.jpg
1MB, 1833x1031px
Here is my mom's cat eyeballing my turkey while I brought it up to room temp
>>
File: 20161124_132205.jpg (1MB, 1833x1031px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_132205.jpg
1MB, 1833x1031px
>>8307852

Here is the best and drumsticks after carving. Just made an herb butter with parsley, rosemary, thyme and sage.

Had brined for 24 hours and it turned out juicy and tasty af, but skin not as crispy as I'd like. Any tips for getting a good crispy skin?
>>
File: TurkeyGraphics-16.jpg (960KB, 2988x2929px) Image search: [Google]
TurkeyGraphics-16.jpg
960KB, 2988x2929px
>>8307827
Happy Thanksgiving right ba/ck/ atcha.

>>8307813
:(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbKsgQt06IA
>>
File: 20161124_202530.jpg (1MB, 1833x1031px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_202530.jpg
1MB, 1833x1031px
Stole this recipe from a Bobby Flay show on tv the other day.

Just your normal cranberries cooked down with orange juice, zest, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Then yogurt with some good maple syrup and vanilla. Then a granola made with pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, walnuts, pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice on top.

I was super surprised by this recipe. It was really fucking good. Big hit for everyone in the senpai as well.
>>
>>8306197
well to start off your picture is false, all the commies died/ were unsuccessful because when you share everything no one wants to share the working the fields part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNL-cpbGygg
>>
>>8306777
>>implying there aren't other options besides oil or nuclear.
why would we use anything other then the most effective power dense energy source?
>>
File: 20161124_120306.jpg (2MB, 1833x1031px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_120306.jpg
2MB, 1833x1031px
Sister requested my caprese, and even tho it's not Thanksgiving at all, these bad boys got demolished long before the turkey ever came out.
>>
>>8307912

REMOVE
>>
>>8307912

still have an entire veggie platter with ranch dipping sauce in fridge cuz everyone ate the deviled eggs and caprese bites to munch on before meal lel
>>
>>8307917

oops meant to quote >>8307913
>>
These were really, really good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/baked-mashed-potatoes-with-parmesan-cheese-and-bread-crumbs-recipe.html
>>
>>8304889
Can you share the cranberry sauce recipe?

I'm trying to make as much of the Christmas dinner sides from scratch this year and could do with the practice beforehand.
>>
>>8306813
Why not just use olive oil?
>>
>>8307852
nice house (and nice cat too)
>>
>>8307639
Turkey is my favourite meat, but that might be because I only have it at Thanksgiving and Christmas
>>
>cook turkey for 5 hours
>try to cut turkey
>knife just pushes turkey off of the bone
>just take chunk of juicy bird meat instead
feels good.
>>
>>8303406
Put it in saltwater
>>
>>8307959

she's kinda an asshole, but thanks. The cat that is.
>>
Anyone making the moist maker for work tomorrow?
>>
All done and ready to serve.
>>
Oh god oh god
>>
>mfw my sister and her stoner boyfriend leave the iron skillets soaking in fucking WATER
>>
It is a good day to die.
>>
File: 451.jpg (105KB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
451.jpg
105KB, 1080x608px
COMFY
O
M
F
Y
>>
>>8307996
Hell yeah I am.
>>
>>8307836
potato is a veg..

we didn't care enough to. There is uneaten salad in our fridge lol.
>>
anyone else feel pressured to eat all this food

like the spirit of thanksgiving is making me be a fatass
>>
My family loved the sous-vide turkey breast I prepared (in addition to a roasted bird.) My favorite part was the roasted skin that I crumbled over it, next year I need to find some more skin.

And I only had twice my calorie budget today.

>>8308016
>leaving retards in charge of cleaning
>>
toasting on epic bread
>>
>Mother went to some weird event
>Father went to his girlfriends house, invited me
>Fake illness in the morning, tell him I'll let him know if it subsides by noon
>It "doesnt"
>Spend all day replaying dork souls and eating cold ham
10/10
>>
>>8305078
>brined my turkey in a trashbag
If it was a trashbag you washed out thoroughly that actually was a pretty good idea m8
>>
>>8305254
>pie filling always leaks under the crust
never had this happen desu m9
>>
File: IMG_3670.jpg (96KB, 592x554px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3670.jpg
96KB, 592x554px
>>8305295
>6kcal on Thanksgiving
fuckin lightweight
>>
>>8306855
damn looks beautiful anon. great work.
>>
>>8307109
oh fuck thats actually really nice looking
>>
>>8303237
cooked on a smoker
>brined max salt 6 hours
>bbq rub
>into smoker 300+ degrees @ 6 hours
>fully cooked and dripping juice + smoke flavor

smoker was 80$, hardware store. perfect
>>
File: 1478444867236.jpg (23KB, 604x335px) Image search: [Google]
1478444867236.jpg
23KB, 604x335px
>be me
>on \CK\
>Finaly get a sticky
>Mfw its abaolute dogshit
>>
>>8307650
I did almost the same as you and my turkey turned out fantastic as well. 500 for 30 min, then 350 for 2 hours. The shorter roasting time results in a more moist turkey.

I use this method almost every year, with the one exception being last year, when I experimented with starting my turkey off at 425 instead and finishing on 350. It came out pretty decent, but took longer to cook and was somewhat drier than previous years. I can only imagine how dry everyone's turkey in this board must be if they're roasting at 325 for 6 hours kek.
>>
>>8307702
Are you supposed to leave that plastic thingy on around the legs? I took it off when I cooked mine
>>
>>8307767
>cranberry sauce from a jar
Kill yourself.

>>8307813
A former friend of mine called me crying and begged for a spot at my table two nights ago because he had nowhere else to go on Thanksgiving. Your post reminded me of him. I wonder what he ended up doing.
>>
>>8307996
Got up early today and made one for my partner to take to work. Instead of using bread, I used a pumpkin bagel from my local bagel place, scooped it out, and filled the scooped out parts with gravy, cranberry sauce, and gravy-soaked bagel pieces. Then I assembled the rest of the sandwich as usual. I hope it's tasty desu
Thread posts: 508
Thread images: 101

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.