[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So,/ck/ I have about 1.5lbs of lamb shank that I need to cook

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: rawshanks1.png (254KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
rawshanks1.png
254KB, 600x400px
So,/ck/
I have about 1.5lbs of lamb shank that I need to cook tomorrow. What can I do with it? I was thinking of just boiling it for a few hours and serving it with some carrots/turnips, but I haven't really handled this meat before
>>
>>8300406
Lamb shank is great, go Mediterranean with it. Carrots, celery, onion and thyme. If you're gonna boil it pan it first to get a nice sear...or boil it first and then drop it in a hot saute pan I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>8300406
Braise it. Brown meat in olive oil ad remove. Add mirepoix saute for 7 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, and few sprigs of thyme and rosemary for 1 minute longer. Add cup or 2 wine. Reduce. Add enough chicken stock or beef stock to come halfway up sides. Cook covered in oven @ 325 F for 2-3 hours or on stovetop at simmer. Add more stock if needed. You can reduce the liquid after done or just serve as is. Delicious!
>>
>>8300406

Dutch oven, season, sear, remove meat, sweat vegetables, high heat, deglaze with wine filling up to about 1-2inches, put shank back in, cover, into a hot oven, cook until fork tender.
>>
Just saute it until browned on the outside. Make a pan sauce. It'll be good.
>>
>>8300457
something similar to this. Tie it up in butcher twine first though otherwise the meat will come apart and won't plate attractively
>>
If I just plop this into boiling water for 5-6 hours, will it come out okay? Thinking I could eat it with a red wine sauce or summin
>>
>>8300457

this is pretty much the standard recipe. 3rding this recommendation.

>>8300485
It will be seriously overcooked and will taste pretty crappy. Water? c'mon anon, at least braise it in stock if not wine.
>>
If you can get some lamb, mutton or goat bones for stock, make some stock. If not, look for a specialty store in your area catering to ethnicities which commonly eat lamb/mutton/goat. Go there and see if they sell lamb/mutton/goat stock powder/cubes and use that.
Using an oven-safe pot/pan that is NOT non-stick, sear your shanks on all sides and remove to a plate.
Deglaze the pot with a quart/litre of the stock you made/reconstituted to scrape up any of that delicious fond and pour out into a bowl or pitcher or something.
In the pot, make enough dark roux for 1 litre of gravy (4tbsp of oil or lamb's tallow and 8tbsp of flour) then compound it with 1 finely minced onion, adding it once the roux is nearly done. Once you add the onion, off the heat and keep stirring, stopping only once the hissing stops. Make sure to use only wooden cooking utensils for this.
Re-up the heat, add the stock and whisk to dissolve and distribute the roux to make your gravy.
Bring to a simmer and re-add the shanks then place into a hot oven. Also add laurels/bay leaves, if you want, before putting into the oven.
Lower the heat to 120°C/250°F and braise the shanks for several hours, adding some root veg for the last half hour or so of cooking. Potatoes, carrots, parsnips etc are all fine here.
Serve your shanks, your veg, some sautéed soured cabbage and a nice glass of wine or mug of beer and om nom nom nom nom.

Variation: use pfeffernüsse crumbs in place of flour for making your roux for a spiced taste and deglaze the pot with a mixture of red wine and red vinegar rather than stock. Reduce the wine mixture, top off with the stock and continue as otherwise. If you can't get pfeffernüsse where you live, gingernuts and gingersnaps are very, very close.
>>
>>8300485
Why would you do this when braising is only slightly more work and produces a far superior dish?
>>
>>8300514
Can I braise it on the stove top?

Obviously, I'm not very good at this
>>
>>8300563
Yes. That's literally what braising is, jackass. Fucking google it you bottom feeding troglodyte.
>>
>>8300563
Yeah. That's what I said in the recipe: stovetop simmer or oven. If that recipe wasn't clear enough you can google "braised lamb shanks" and they'll have more detail. I assumed you had experience with braising when I gave it.
>>
>>8300563

Of course you can. All you need is a pot with a lid.
>>
>>8300587
Thanks a lot, will try this tomorrow
>>
File: lambshank.jpg (538KB, 1000x3469px) Image search: [Google]
lambshank.jpg
538KB, 1000x3469px
>>8300406
My go to version OP
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.