[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to make the best pot roast?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

How to make the best pot roast?
>>
Pearl onions and sear it first
>>
I put a bottom round roast on top of two pounds of onions in a pot. Added a cup of wine and a cup of water. Put it on low head stovetop for 4 hours.

It came out gray and dry as hell. Do not recommend.
>>
>>8282756

>searing a wet dish

You don't want to seal in the juices of something that still has juices to absorb.
>>
slice off the fat cap, sear it in the roasting pan, and leave it in there to bake and render out. add butter and or bacon, and a 1-2 smashed tomatoes to the pan, and before it's done, pull it out, add a 2 tsbp of flour to the pan drippings, coat the roast liberally in the resulting gravy, and let that soak in.

oh also mustard. nobody knows why, but mustard is an essential part of any roast, chicken, beef, lamb, all of them. you won't taste it but you'll miss it.

also turn and cover the roast after you take it out of the oven so it can absorb the sauce and flavor
>>
>>8282833
this is the worst bait I've seen in my 15 years of browsing this shitty site
>>
>>8282856

kek. You really need to visit more than just /ck/
>>
File: mom.jpg (69KB, 1128x780px) Image search: [Google]
mom.jpg
69KB, 1128x780px
Mommy used to throw a chuck roast into a crock pot and cover it in Campbell's cream of mushroom and simmer until late the evening. No searing, no herbs, no onions or garlic. We just had gray beef with icky white "gravy' to go with it. I have some serious mommy issues going on to this day.
>>
>>8283124
As the son of a Midwest mom that cooks without spices, I still feel fucking bad for you
>>
Lots of good ways to cook a pot roast.

Just find a well reviewed recipe online and give it a try.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/basic-pot-roast-20096
>>
brown the roast with a nice sear, season before with salt/pepper/flour

brown/saute the onions and mushrooms, thicken it up with some beef or chicken stock
nothing special with the potatoes/carrots/celery, just layer it on the bottom

I also like throwing in a couple pearl onions because I like them soft and whole.
>>
Give me tips on selecting a good cut for a pot roast.
>>
Not sure if best, but an easy way that is simultaneously very hard to botch - you will end with at worst a moderately good pot roast - is using the slow cooker.
>>
>>8282751
you roast it in a pot
>>
>>8283552
the whole point of slow and low cooking is that less desirable cuts of meat that have more connective tissue are great when cooked long enough. The connective tissue breaks down.

I would just buy a large chuck roast. Cheap and good.
>>
File: 1476475126001.png (50KB, 255x204px) Image search: [Google]
1476475126001.png
50KB, 255x204px
I bought a two pound chuck roast, pan seared it and put it in the crock pot with a bunch of potatoes and beef broth.

I just now realized I completely forgot to add the carrots but it's been cooking for almost an hour now so I'm just gonna say fuck it. who needs carrots anyway
>>
>>8285151
you have plenty of time its going to take it another hour or 2 before its tender enough to eat anyway...plenty of time for carrots and onions also add some butter?
>>
>>8285174
I added a couple medium onions as well. Yeah I guess I could still add carrots but the pots already quite full so I might just skip it.

You think butter is necessary? It's a pretty fatty roast so I don't know if it really needs it.
>>
File: image.png (206KB, 295x377px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
206KB, 295x377px
ad one of these bad boys
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.