[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

home made chips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: The_Suck_Cut-1425691073.jpg (45KB, 403x399px) Image search: [Google]
The_Suck_Cut-1425691073.jpg
45KB, 403x399px
i've been trying to make potato chips

the first time i made them i htought i cut them too thick even though they cooked quite nicely

the second time i cut them thinner (the thinnest setting on the mandoline) and they didn't cook evenly at all

can i fix this? how?
>>
This might be hard to believe, but use a microwave instead of an oven.
Slice them nice n thin, put em all in a bag, add some oil & shake well.
Space the slices out on a piece of parchment paper (cut it so it'll fit on the rotating thingy), season with whatever you want, and nuke for about 5~8 minutes.
Exact timing will of course depend on the power, just keep an eye on em, and see around what time they are completely crispy.
>>
>>8281080

First off, it is possible to cut inconsistent thicknesses on the manodline if you are holding the potato wrong, or if you press too hard (or not hard enough). Check your chips as you cut them to make sure they're of equal thickness before you start.

As for even cooking: don't overload the fryer, and either stir them while they're frying or shake the basket from time to time.

>>8281307
Why the fuck would you use either one to make chips.
>>
>>8281310
American chips, not British chips.
>>
>>8281345
Yes, that was obvious given the mandoline. But why does the distinction matter? Both of them are deep fried.
>>
>>8281310
i didn't use a caliper to measure them or anything but they seemed pretty consistent

i notticed with the thinner chips the slices curled a lot more while i soaked them i htought maybe that had something to do with it

>>8281307
i'm using a deep fryer, like you're supposed to
>>
>>8281374
>i'm using a deep fryer, like you're supposed to

Either your chips were of inconsistent thickness or they cooked unevenly in the fryer.

Make sure you don't overload the fryer, and stir the chips around while they cook so that they get consistent exposure to the hot oil.
>>
>>8281374
When they're about 60% done lift them out of the oil and shake off any excess oil. You want them to have a bit of hardness to them. If they're all floppy then they need to cook a second longer. Let them sit for a minute or two out of the fryer then put them back and finish them. This is called blanching. It helps out any French fried pataters.

Also what oil are you using? I'd recommend canola or peanut oil.
>>
>>8281357
It matters because french fries aren't the same thing.
>>
Best way is to make'm in a big cooking pot, get your oil to temp and use a thermometer to be certain. Be sure to wash off any excess starch for 2 FULL minutes of rinsing the slices in COLD water.

Then put'm in a towel, dry'm off and let them dry.

Then fry them until cooked at about 170°C while STIRRING, this is why we use a big pot, so they are all getting oil at the same temp all over them. You can properly stir in a deep fat fryer.

Last step is add salt + seasoning while they are still hot and oily, then let them dry for a couple of sec.
>>
>>8281469
you CANT properly stir in a deep fat fryer* My bad
>>
>>8281455

Sure they're not the same thing. But the issues OP is having--consistency--and their solution apply equally to chips or fries. Same cooking methods. Same potential issues. Same solutions.
>>
>>8281080
Fry them twice.
>>
>>8281471

Of course you can, unless you put too much food in at once (which is its own problem). You can stir in a deep fat fryer the exact same way you stir in a pot of oil.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.