[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leftover juices from crockpot chicken

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

So I'm kinda new to cooking and I've always read on here about chicken stock and saving it after you cook chicken or soup or something. I have a buncha chicken thighs in the crockpot that will be done in an hour or so. I had soy sauce, some honey, bbq, mustard, and a little chicken stock to keep things moist.

My question is weather or not I should/could save the juices left in the crockpot after I take out the chicken thighs. Is that technically a stock? Has some chicken fat floating in it and smells amazing so I don't want it to go to waste if it can be repurposed. I was thinking of just saving it in a tupperware for using it to cook rice in or flavor potatoes or something in the future. Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Just accidentally posted this on /sp/.... Now I might not be able to shitpost during MNF. Life is pain.
>>
Stock is what you added to keep it moist. Now it's... soup or something. Or sauce waiting to happen.

Making rice with it is a fine idea. Just dilute it until it's palatable, perhaps with stock. That'll go nicely with your leftovers.
>>
>>8276760
Cheers, thanks. I was kinda worried about safety issues but I mean as long as it's all cooked, there shouldn't be any danger reusing it. I figure I can use it for something in the future.
>>
>>8276803

Meat water with a moderate pH is a tempting home for microorganisms, so the fact that you cooked it once doesn't exempt you from proper food handling. Fortunately, sticking a bit of leftovers in the fridge is not rocket science.

Getting a gallon or more of fresh chicken stock from a simmer down to a temperature that's not going to heat up your entire fridge is a more interesting logistical challenge.

Naturally you are going to die from something much more interesting than food poisoning, so it's probably not worth worrying about.
>>
>>8276736
For me it is the McChicken. The best fast food sandwich.
>>
>>8276736
Stock is generally a purposefully-produced component for adding flavor to other recipes. There are as many stocks as there are recipes to use them in.

Your leftover meaty juices could be considered a kind of stock... your idea to cook rice with it is absolutely on the mark. There are many other uses for it (gravy is also great), but keep in mind that cooked meat juices only keep in the fridge as long as the meat it came from; use it in the next few days or toss it.

>>8276876
Very important to note if you're ever handling more than a few cups of hot stock/broth/etc is that shit can go bad very quickly if it stays in the danger zone. Louis Pasteur used chicken broth in his experiments specifically because it's a perfect environment to grow bacteria.

You're only going to have a few cups of liquid at most, and you can safely put that in your fridge while it's still warm. If you ever venture into the realm of professional kitchens and are making a few gallons of stock at a time, though, you gotta know your food safety temps and times and such.
>>
>>8276876
>>8276951
Thanks for the input. I know how sketchy dealing with chicken, its juices, etc can be... even though they're fully cooked. If I don't use it in the next few days, I'll just toss it. Just threw it in the fridge slightly warm.

On a lighter note, my chicken thighs turned out fucking awesome. Just broiled them for a couple minutes to get a nice crisp on top while still being super juicy from the crock pot. Had some roasted onions and veggie rice with it as well. Success! Hard to beat a few pounds of chicken for like $1.30. Tons of leftovers and everything tonight probably cost me $3 tops. At least 5 or 6 meals, if not more.

>>8276889
I'll have to try one tomorrow!
>>
>>8276976
It sounds delicious as fuck; chicken thighs are one of my favorite bits of meat to use in recipes because you can do no wrong with them, and their cost is next to nothing.
>>
>>8277017
I literally didn't realize how cheap they were until recently. I used to buy boneless chicken breasts which I still enjoy and will buy when they're on sale, but these chicken thighs are like $1.13 a pound I think. Not the best quality obviously, but it's hard to go wrong with them in a crock pot. Tightening my belt because my bank account isn't what it usually is, so I'm doing a lot of bulk cooking and just trying to make a lot of different dishes using only a few ingredients.

Good stuff though. God Bless crockpots.
>>
>>8277031
Honestly crock pots are not the best choice imo for chicken. It's good don't get me wrong, but in my opinion they make the chicken too tender. I like my chicken to have some texture and not just completely fall apart into fibers.

Now if that's what you like then feel free, you do you of course. But in my opinion crock pots are best for red meats with lots of connective tissue.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.