[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Barracks cooking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

File: 20161023_211714.jpg (1MB, 1776x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20161023_211714.jpg
1MB, 1776x2268px
I'm coming here for some ideas as to what to cook next in my barracks room. My "kitchen" is basically a hot plate with a set of pots and pans and a half sink, microwave and full sized fridge. I've bought a rice cooker to assist with cooking rice since I only have a single hot plate.

I essentially end up making the same dish every day just a slightly different variation and am wanting to branch out. I grew up eating rice and peppers so it's easy for me to go to the commissary, pick them up and throw them into a dish with chicken or beef on top and call it a meal, which is essentially what I do.

My biggest concern is the complete lack of kitchen space and tools that I have since I live in the barracks but I think I've managed to do fine. Just looking for new ideas, I'd like to dabble into mushrooms and potatoes. I would love if there is a simple Italian dish I could whip up (is chicken marsala all that hard if you buy the wine premade?) since the most Italian thing around here is Olive Garden.

Pics are basically a few dishes that I've made so far. Trying to keep it all protein dense and relatively healthy and cheap.

Thanks
>>
File: 20161023_212424.jpg (1MB, 1776x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20161023_212424.jpg
1MB, 1776x2268px
>>
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

HAVE A HAPPY VETERANS DAY

GOD BLESS
>>
Alright bud, I've got you. Ex Army here. You need-

>slow cooker
>toaster oven

Use slow cooker to make beans, toaster oven for chicken or fish.

My go to for beans-
2-1 1/2 cups dry beans (black or pinto for calorie loading, navy beans for cutting)
4 cloves garlic
1 onion, quartered
slight amount of salt
cumin, cayenne, chili powder to taste
cover with water, slow cook
fairly protein dense side

Also, if you're looking for protein dense and don't mind some fat, go with french cooking, primarily roasts.

Also

>pinhead oats or steel cut oats are amazing
>mix with plain yogurt + protein shake for breakfast
>>
>>8265562
also, switch water for chicken broth if you want a bit better of flavor
>>
File: Screenshot_20161109-163028.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161109-163028.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
>>8265562
>>8265562
My room mate has a toaster over he never uses so this is something I'll be willing to try since I have basically all the ingredients. The beans I have right now are just some canned bbq shit on sale this week. My breakfast is an egg in a basket with hot sauce, I need to mix it up.

By the way what size slow cooker did you find best for making your own meals.
>>
File: Snapchat-1644409585.jpg (697KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1644409585.jpg
697KB, 1440x2560px
>>8265572
I try to treat myself to a ribeye once a week and can only cook it on the pan since I'm not willing to go out and buy a small sized grill and all the shit it needs. I've basically been using the Ramsay technique which is great and I get good results everytime. I experiments with skirt steak in my previous post and I over cooked it to medium thinking it takes longer to cook than a ribeye. Oh well, live and learn.
>>
You can make pasta and potatoes on a rice cooker. You can also, and at the same time, steam vegetables on top of the rice cooker, with a strainer or similar.
Go crazy from there.
>>
File: Snapchat-6814331134263316887.jpg (456KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6814331134263316887.jpg
456KB, 1440x2560px
I've cooked a lot more dishes, mainly Mexican influenced since it's what I grew up on and Asian styled since I'm a fucking loser. Anyways this is what the reason I started cooking, these are suppose to be beef fajitas from the DFAC.
>>
>>8265572
just know steel cut oats take 20+ minutes to cook, so you have to prepare ahead.

Also I'm not certain what size my slow cooker is, I would assume 6 quarts, since when I make chicken broth it yields about a gallon.

Beans+ a roasted or pan seared protein are your one way ticket to proteinville, if you care about that.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160920-205201.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160920-205201.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>8265580
How do you steam vegetables on top of the rice cooker? Just leave it on the cook setting with water in it and have something to hold the veggies above it?

>>8265582
This is supposed to be a dinner sized portion too, just FYI. Now, onto the hot meals the give us in the field. I don't know if it's better than the MREs we usually get, probably.
>>
Thank you for your service.

Be safe.
>>
File: tumblr_nsocmiDSpG1swm6rso1_540.png (147KB, 540x367px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsocmiDSpG1swm6rso1_540.png
147KB, 540x367px
>>8265586
Damn 20 minutes is pretty long. I do the egg in a basket cause it's like 5 minutes long and I'm done. Enough time to shit, shower, make coffee and rub on out if I'm feeling like it before the duty day begins.

Today we got a zonk by 1SG because half the company had to redo piss test cause they got contaminated. My unlucky ass had to redo it and I pissed right before first formation like usual so I was there til about 0730. I got back to my room though to have enough time to celebrate the zonk with some pancakes though and Vermont maple syrup my mother sent me a few weeks ago. Shit is amazing.

I've been looking into slow cookers and will probably pick one up in a pay check or two (budgeting to have a nice fat jew pile when I get out) but my biggest hold up is what size I need for myself. I'm thinking a 2-3 quart.
>>
clicked into this thread thinking it was about obama's food

fuck i am dumb
>>
>>8265589
You cook something on boiling water, put a strainer on top, and put the veggies there
>>
>>8265601
>2-3 qt

man that's fucking tiny, main great thing of a slow cooker is putting stuff in the fridge and having it forever, and well cooked. Get a big one.
>>
>>8265604
You're not the only one senpai smdh
>>
File: 1442764120428.jpg (284KB, 985x914px) Image search: [Google]
1442764120428.jpg
284KB, 985x914px
I know /ck/ isn't the fastest board, but bumping for ideas. Will be up all night as I am watching NGE for the first time ever. Thanks again in advance
>>
I made sushi in my barracks once.
>>
>>8265969
I had a friend that used to use a crock pot to make roasts and such, he just used cans of soup for everything except the meat.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.