[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home preservation and dehydration thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Cajun TH2.jpg (236KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Cajun TH2.jpg
236KB, 400x400px
Thinking about getting into it as the months get colder and less bugs are flying around but have some questions regarding it

Why can't you cook meat before or during dehydration?

I've wondered this but never got a solid explanation, does it negatively affect the keeping properties of the meat or is it more a taste and texture reason?

Also is there a reason why nitrates aren't used much in leaner cuts of meat and how important is it when making something like a ham? I know it is meant to inhibit botulism but in a pinch could it be ignored?
>>
>>8264439
You can cook meat before dehydration, I just don't know why you'd want to. It's pointless extra work so it's rarely done. But there are some examples of it

>>nitrates
They're used in all kinds of meats, lean and otherwise. But what may be confusing you is if you're only reading about sausage recipes. Most sausage recipes require a minimum amount of fat otherwise the texture comes out awful.

>>how important
Depends on your opinion of risk and what taste you like, really. The nitrates contribute to the color, flavor, and safety of the finished product. OTOH there are some old-school cured recipes that don't use it.

If you're interested in this stuff then I highly recommend the book Charcuterie by Ruhlman.
>>
>>8264450
My oven has busted temp control and I'd rather err on the side of caution when dehydrating. That being said does the book say anything about pork hearts? There's a bunch for a good price at my grocery store but won't to know if there is anything I should keep in mind other then it'll probably be kind of tough.
>>
>>8264543
I can't recall anything in the book about pork hearts specifically but I haven't done every recipe.

I do make a lot of sausage though. You can use any cut of meat as long as the fat content ends up correct. If you choose a lean cut (like heart) then you'd simply add some extra fat to it. If you make sausage from a fatty cut like shoulder then you generally don't need to add any extra fat. I have made sausage with chicken hearts many times, tastes great.

As far as dehydrating goes, I'm less knowledgeable about that than I am with sausage, but I do know that the thickness of the meat and the humidity of your drying environment is critical. If the meat dries out too quickly then the outside will form a hard layer that prevents the moisture from the interior from escaping. That will spoil the meat for sure. And, of course, if it dries to slowly then it could spoil before the moisture content got low enough to render it safe. So I'd stick with tried-and-true recipes for that. The type of meat shouldn't matter, only the thickness/shape and the environment in which you dry/cure/dehydrate it.
>>
>>8264601
I want to have a lightweight source of protein and didn't think of dry sausages before.

How fast can it reach the proper dryness and how important is the mold layer?
>>
>>8264635
If your intention is backpacking you really need to worry about calories more than protein, if your body is deficit in fat it can't process any of it.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.