[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Sourdough loaf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 20161110_101955.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161110_101955.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Baked this today with a wild yeast starter I've been culturing for a couple weeks. What are your thoughts? I'm a big boy, criticism welcome.
>>
>>8264421

Looks pretty good. Maybe a little dense in the bottom center, but really a nice crumb structure for a first time. Nice lame work also.

I let my culture die this summer and have to start a new one. Been making italian breads with a biga starter lately.
>>
use a breadpan next time
>>
>>8264468
I use a preheated dutch oven with the lid on for 20 minutes and off for the last 25. I feel like that gives me a better crust than a pan.
>>
>>8264442
I used the sourdough starter method in the most bookmarked section on the main page of thefreshloaf.com. It was real simple.
>>
crumb and crust look good anon

If you're looking for more oven-spring, maybe a tighter final shaping and less-proofing might help.

Overall good job. What's the hydration and other stats?
>>
>>8264536
I cover my bread pans with peanut oil and cornmeal. It gives the bread a very tasty exterior, especially when toasted in a toaster oven. I don't like hard crusts, so my bread is always baked covered in tinfoil.
>>
File: 6634531997_be5ff50b62_z.jpg (55KB, 600x290px) Image search: [Google]
6634531997_be5ff50b62_z.jpg
55KB, 600x290px
>>8264880
>I don't like hard crusts

What a poof.
>>
>>8264859
Using 120g starter, 384g water, 60g whole wheat and 540g all purpose flour.

Do you have another recipe to suggest? I'm definitely all ears.
>>
>>8264904

I just go off of things on the freshloaf forumn

try experimenting with different ratios of flour and hydration levels. Than move on to different flour types (rye, spelt, oat, barley) . It's fun man, spelt flour especially since it gives a nutty flavor
>>
>>8265326
Great, I will. I'm curious to see how far I can go with it. Thanks for your suggestions. It is a lot of fun using a wild yeast to make stuff like this. It sounds silly, but you get a special sense of accomplishment from it.
>>
>>8265358

> t is a lot of fun using a wild yeast to make stuff like this. It sounds silly, but you get a special sense of accomplishment from it.

couldn't agree more desu. Keep on baking
>>
>>8264421

definitely edible, but it is underproofed and under cooked, you can tell from that moist spongy middle.

next time let it rise over night or longer in the fridge, bake for at least another 15 minutes, r start higher.

i start mine at 500 for 15 minutes and turn down to 425 for another 35-40. also you were using a pretty slack dough, don't be afraid to add flour until you've got a loaf that will hold it's shape while it rises
>>
>>8264880

just bake longer and lower for soft bread. 325 for 80 minutes gives me a loaf pretty much identical to "store bread" in a glass loaf pan
>>
>>8265412
Got it. But I proofed it for 3 hours after a pull/fold knead every 30 minutes for 3 hours. Then shaped and put in a bowl in refrigerator overnight. I really wonder what I'm doing wrong, if anything. Could be the equipment I suppose in addition to ameteur incompetence. At any rate, it seems to be a cool adventure I'm embarking on.

Oh, one question for knowledgeable anons. If I wanted to make a long, baguette style loaf, with such a wet dough, how can I get it to maintain it's shape on the second rise, if I'm going to bake on a stone?
>>
For the first time? Extremely well done. How long did you let it raise? Seems to be just a bit less fluffy than the professionaly sold bread here in germany. But still, for a first timer its good.
>>
>>8265553
Dont put it in the refrigerator, imo. That is bad as far as i know. And i dont think you should knead it that often, if at all during the raising process
>>
>>8265553

you can't, you need a baguette pan.

also, knead only once, and dont fold or shape it until ready to bake IMO
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.