[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do fruits rot?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: peaches2.jpg (142KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
peaches2.jpg
142KB, 1600x1068px
why do fruits rot?
>>
Because of cell death and decay
>>
>>8260206
Because you have removed them from their source of nutrition and fluid intake and left them to slowly die?
>>
>>8260206
When you chop off a limb, why does it rot?
>>
It's actually a hormone called ethylene that starts the scenesense processes in fruit, in order to conserve starches for the tree and attract consumers to eat the fruit by ripening it
>>
>>8260222

Ethylene is not a hormone you fucking idiot
>>
>>8260206
Jewish trickery
>>
>>8260222
>scenesense
That isn't even
>>
>>8260224
Please do some research before you speak, ethylene is a hormone in plants that works with auxin to promote ripening and controlled death.
>>
>>8260206
>what is microbiology?
wikipedia you lazy shitbag
>>
>>8260206
So they can be with Jesus.
>>
>>8260224
>I know what I'm talking about: Wrong Edition

http://postharvest.tfrec.wsu.edu/pages/PC2000F
>>
So you can make alcoholic beverages.
>>
>>8260224
It's a Phytohormone.
>>
>>8260206
To provide us with delicious alcohol
>>
because they're pussies
>>
Because they are uteruses and all women are rotten inside.
>>
File: 51012-large[1].jpg (61KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
51012-large[1].jpg
61KB, 720x540px
Fungi and bacteria.

Some fungi cause asymptomatic infections in plant tissues, including fruit. For example, you may have seen an avocado go soft and develop golden/orange pustules (see pic). This is the fungus Colletotrichum gloeosporioides, which can actually infect the avocado flowers. The fungus is in the avocado causing an asymptomatic/latent infection before the fruit is even harvested, shipped, and brought to your home. Anti-fungal compounds are produced by the avocado, which decrease as it begins to ripen. The fungus then proliferates.

Same with Botrytis cinerea in strawberries (grey mould). Farmers spray strawberries with fungicides during the flowering stage because it is established that the fungus can infect the fruit by gaining entry through the flowers.

Decomposition can be beneficial to the plant: liberating seeds, stimulating germination or seedling developing, deterring consumption by vertebrates/invertebrates, self-pruning of branches that are no longer very productive, etc. Of course, terrestrial nutrient cycling is very much dependent on fungal-mediated decomposition. Without it, nutrient turnover would be incredibly slow and nutrients would be locked up in complex recalcitrant compounds.
>>
>>8260206
BECAUSE THEY ARE ORGANIC MATTER
>>
File: we are going to.gif (744KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
we are going to.gif
744KB, 250x188px
>>
>>8260206
They are mostly just made out of water just like everything else.
>>
>>8260206
Because bacteria and fungus want to eat them.
>>
>>8260206
Something to do with the Garden of Eden I think.
>>
>>8260206
the jews made them that way so you would have to buy more
>>
>>8260206
wow, as if none of you fuckers have heard of thermodynamics.

Decay and increase in entropy is the natural order of the universe. Anything that isn't being maintained will decay eventually, unless maintained via expenditure of energy.

Also, >>8260213 and >>8260222

this >>8260224 is a moron.
>>
>>8262501
Your fruit is rotting because of microbial decomposition, not entropy.
>>
>>8260206
Aids
>>
>>8260211
>>8260213
delete this
>>
>>8260543
Is there a heaven for food?
>>
File: auntiedianne.jpg (12KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
auntiedianne.jpg
12KB, 400x300px
to become food for the seed to eat and grow up to be a tree and make more fruit
>>
>>8262516
this. no matter how much energy you funnel into a peach, it will still rot. If you equate energy with heat, it will rot faster.
>>
>>8262632
>>8262516
And here I thought the heat death of the universe could be staved off with copious amounts of benzoate.
That's a bummer.
>>
>>8262647
Your understanding of decomposition is extremely rudimentary and you simplify everything as a result of entropy. E.g.: What cause the collapse of the WTC? Entropy of course.

If decomposition of organic matter were a result of simple entropy, life would not exist because nutrient cycling would effectively cease from a biological perspective.
>>
File: 1395041865_piter-evans.jpg (64KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
1395041865_piter-evans.jpg
64KB, 620x349px
>>8260222

>scenesense processes
>>
>>8263352
He obviously meant senescence.
>>
>>8262516
oh no, nigga. my fruit is safe in a vat of alcohol so no microbial action, but it is still degrading which is like rotting but slower.

Thermodynamics always applies. (period!)
>>
>>8263112
again nigga, thermodynamics is the basis and the fundamental process underlying all chemical reactions and thus life.

The microbial niggas have to make my fruit kill because if they don't they will be kill since their own constituent chemicals will degrade unless maintained using energy. So THERMODYNAMICS, bitch.
>>
>>8260206
Physically: the living plant seperate from the tree trys to survive by metabalising startches and shugars. Eventually the fruit turns to last resorts and cell death starts. After cell death starts bacteria or fungus can gain foothold. As the friut continues to prioritize its remaining structure to the benifit of its seed, it succumbs further to its own death and starvation. Plants in gerneral die slow. All the time it dies many fruits become more fragrant, screaming chemically, eat me. Because its rot residue is nutritious for the seed if more bacteria and fungus and bugs are involved. Or even if it gets eten and craped out the better for the seed.
>>
>>8264299
Is totally metal bruh.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.