[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turkey with cheap this week at the store, so I bought one and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Turkey with cheap this week at the store, so I bought one and am interested in roasting it. I have a 24 pound turkey currently thawing in the fridge, just started today. I expect it to be thawed and ready to cook by this upcoming Saturday morning.

My question is. Is it okay to thaw the turkey in the same pan that I plan to roast it in? The turkey is still in its original wrapping and has no holes in the wrapping, and I'm using the roasting pan because it's the only thing I have which is actually large enough to fully contain the turkey (not height-wise of course, but all around the perimeter). I suppose I could swap out for something like paper towel mats or maybe a shallow baking pan, butt it might not do the job. I admit that I am not an expert on roasting turkey.

The various sources I'm seeing online make it seem pretty simple though, and I've done tougher cooking jobs. I just want to make sure that I don't get myself violently ill next weekend. The cooking to 165 internal cavity and 180 in the thigh seems pretty no-brainer, so the only part that really worries me is that I could accidentally sabotage myself with the thawing process. If using the same pan for thawing as the pan for roasting is not a problem, then I think I'll be okay. Thanks /ck/

Also if you have any stuffing recipe recs or mashed potatoes or whatever that'd be cool. Call it a thanksgiving practice run since I aspire to someday be the guy who prepares the family bird.
>>
You'll be fine. That's the time most charts recommend and the heat from your oven will kill anything on your pan once it's in the oven.
>>
>>8253712
Sweet, thanks for the quick reply.
>>
I think the real question is what the fuck are you going to do with 20 pounds of turkey? Do you run a shelter for stray cats?
One thing you could do is remove a leg and smoke it to use in soup. Where I live making wild rice soup with thanksgiving leftovers is pretty common.
>>
>>8253748
>Where I live
no on cares where you live
>>
>>8253748
That's not bad. I know it's odd that a single guy living alone would want to make a huge fucking turkey for himself. I plan to cook it all and then freeze large amounts of it for later. The idea is to have a good supply of meat on hand for quite a while.

Do you have a certain recipe that you (or people you know) use for that wild rice soup? I might be up to making some of that, after all with this much turkey I'll have to get creative.
>>
>>8253797
Not really, I am sure you can find something online.
It is basically mirepoix with some chicken stock, wild rice, and turkey. Some people add almond slivers for some texture but I'm not a fan. Also if you dont smoke the turkey you could throw in a ham hock, pretty common.
Wild rice is probably going to be expensive but if you have never tried it, it is worth a shot.

>>8253769
Great post, maybe you could share what you do with leftover turkey?
>>
>>8253828
Yeah, I do know wild rice and it's good, but I do already have a lot of brown rice. I'll see if there aren't any good recipes using brown rice as a substitute.
>>
>>8253880
I forgot cream is added, lots of cream. Not the healthiest soup.
>>
>>8253880
I like to add chopped shitake mushrooms to my wild rice soup in addition to the mirepoix. I use brown rice if I don't have wild rice on hand and it's the same except for a longer cooking time.
>>
>>8253906
>>8253931

I see. Thanks for the input. I may pass if it's really not that healthy but we'll see.
>>
I JUST PUT IT IN THE OVEN FROZEN, UNCOVERED, COOK ON 325 FOR A PERIOD OF TIME (5-6 HOUR?) UNTIL BROWN ON TOP AND IT COMES OUT PERFECT EVERY TIME
>>
I don't make stuffing inside the turkey and use the innards for the cats, make gravy from the pan drippings after turkey is done cooking
>>
>>8253692
Why don't you simply clean the pan once the turkey is thawed before actually starting to cook it ?
Put the turkey aside on some paper towel or something while you scrub the shit out of your pan for 2 minutes.

It's a bit of a no brainer, I don't see the issue.
>>
>>8254015
considered it, wasn't sure of what I'd do with the thawed turkey during that time lol, as stated it won't fit in any other tray or container I own. But fortunately based on above posts it shouldn't matter much, so I should be good either way.
>>
>>8254084
I don't know, drop it your cutting board, or even balanced on a couple of plates ? No need to overthink it.

I used to do a lot of pan/tray/plate switching like that in my previous kitcken, which was very small and forced to keep a limited array of gear.

Enjoy your turkey, OP, it makes me hungry.
>>
My mom always uses and thing called a 'turkey bag' or something and there is instructions on the box. Anyways the bag comes with a thermometer that will tell you when the turkeys done. Also I think the pan shouldn't be a issue... but idk.
Really my family only bake turkey on thanksgiving holiday
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.