[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Over-engineered Thanksgiving turkey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_6087 copy.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6087 copy.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I did weird stuff to my turkey last year and posted about it. I'm going to do it again but make it even more intricate

My main idea is to make the perfect turkey leg. To do this, I'm going to cut the turkey legs off with enough skin remaining to wrap the whole drumstick. Then I'm going to peel the skin down without removing it from the bone, then remove all the meat and grind it up with some other dark meat, throw that in a food processor with bread crumbs and spices. I'll take that mush and form it around the naked bones to create the shape of the drumstick, then I'll roll the skin back up to wrap it all together with meat glue, then fry it. In doing this I hope to make the perfect drumstick, the kind you see old cartoon characters eating. No weird ligaments or tendons, just a nice bite through with crispy skin and juicy middle

I'll probably just grind up the rest of the thigh meat and make tacos or something, and I'll glue the breasts together to make a deli meat loaf like I did last year (pic related). Cook the drumsticks and breast loaf in the sous vide first then deep fry them

If you have other ideas for how I can science a turkey let me know
>>
>>8252352
so... no stuffing in that turkey breast roll huh?
>>
>>8252356
no just straight meat. it's not as big as you think, stuffing would be awkward and it would probably fall apart
>>
>>8252362
the stuffin is the best part tho...
>>
REGARDLESS i look forward to turkey science desu
>>
>>8252371
Itt: a turkey scientist explains how to make the worst thanksgiving turkey possible.
>>
>>8252402
i dunno sounds aight,... i just think maybe use stuffing instead of meat glue... meat glue can be bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXXrB3rz-xU
>>
>>8252406
actually i think it sounds pre nice... id eat that turkey leg and probably that fuckin turkey roll thing too with some nice gravy no msayin
>>
File: IMG_6080.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6080.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
another pic from last year. only like 2 of these things were good. not going to play too much with the flavors this year, just going to make sure it's well seasoned
>>
>>8252481
if u want dat dere citrus flavour try some sumac turkey sumac good on chicken i found
>>
>>8252521
sumac is so fuckin good
>>
>>8252524
duno how hipster or alternative or whatever gay shit some cunt here gonna call me but i found sumac n szechuan peper go fuckin good on chicken real good
>>
>>8252352
So you're just making a petite ballotine of turkey but with the bone still inside?

Its pretty simple. Just seasoned forcemeat in a skin shell basically. You probably don't even need the transglutaminase.

Also, if its just the ligaments and stuff that you don't like you can cut just past the joint on the leg and pull them all out with pliers.
>>
>>8252356
>Stuffing the turkey

Retarded. Make stuffing separately rather than risk slow or uneven cooking of your turkey.
>>
bump for more franken-turkey ideas
>>
I like the stringy bite of the dark meat. Wont it be off-putting to get a chicken nugget instead of joocy muscle-y leg meat? either way I enjoyed your thread last year, looking forward to turkey science this year.
>>
>>8253963
Yeah unfortunately texture is the trade off here. I saw a video of how they make those big loafs of deli chicken meat, they put a bunch of chicken breasts into a big mixer that beats the hell out of the meat and scrapes it against the sides until the outer layer of the chicken breaks down and gets all mushy, at which point it will stick to other similarly treated chicken well enough to form a loaf. I don't think I have the means to do this at home though, so chicken nugget style it is. I'll actually probably end up using some chicken breast in addition to dark turkey meat in the nugget mixture to lighten it up a bit, since my turkey breast will already be in use otherwise
>>
>>8252481

>pound of msg
>hesamadman.jpg

love it
>>
>>8252666
This dude knows his French cuisine.

I came in here to post the same thing. The idea of making a forcemeat and putting it back into the skin with the distal-most portion of the leg intact in order to recreate the shape of a drumstick is not new.
>>
>>8254835
Yeah, I'm a big fan of classical French cuisine particularly Garde Manger and I worked throughout southern France for several years before coming back to the States.
>>
how about a spiral turkey cordon bleu panchetta with the remaining turkey thigh? just slice it super thin in a continuous strip
>>
>>8252352
What the fuck is "meat glue"?
>>
I think OP is trying to remake this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfsUzhZ5GWs
>>
File: aintnuttnwrongwitdat.jpg (67KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
aintnuttnwrongwitdat.jpg
67KB, 700x467px
>>8252369
dressing is better senpai
>>
>>8255404
transglutaminase

>>8255415
He did that last year. This year he is wanting to make a petite ballotine of turkey.
>>
File: IMG_6243.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6243.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8255415
See the thing is that I made something similar to that last year and you feel every new segment of meat you bite through. It was pretty disgusting. It just felt like snapping through 4 different membranes, I definitely want to at least blur the boundaries between each individual hunk of meat, or as I'm doing, making it a homogeneous chicken nuggy paste
>>
>>8255496
You really should not be having that kind of segmentation with TG like you do on the when done properly. What kind of TG did you use, how much, how long did you let it set, and what was your MOP? What you ended up with is much more akin to a poorly done terrine than a standard TG loaf. (not trying to offend)

If you don't want to try it again the forcemeat route is definitely a good option though the TG really isn't needed in that case. Unless you want to keep if for aesthetic reasons I would ditch the bone as well and opt for the more tradition leg and thigh stuffed with forcemeat and sealed. From there you could do whatever you wanted with it. Confit, poach, cold smoke, or cook sous vide then flash fry, etc.
>>
saving from the bottom
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrmcO1QBEo8

anyone know how I could perform this process at home? Mainly the tumbling process. Kitchenaid mixer?
>>
HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TOO HAVE THIS MUCH AUTISM
>>
bump for OP
>>
I'm thinking about deboning a turkey, stuffing it with something, tying it up and sous vide. Should I just brown it under the broiler or is there a better method? maybe pan sear and spoon butter over it.
>>
>>8258787

If you can get it into a nice cylinder then pan searing should be easy. Broiling isn't ideal because you're going to burn the topmost part while the sides get nothing. Honestly I'd just deep fry though, effortless crisping from all sides
>>
>>8258787
oven with convection or just sear
>>
>>8257807
>woah dude you're like experimenting in the kitchen, you have le autism haha

leave this board
>>
>>8255572
What does MOP mean?
>>
>>8261643
Not that guy, but id guess it means something like method of preparation
>>
>>8252674
>slow or uneven cooking
What if you plan on smoking your turkey with wood/charcoal?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.