[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do my hash browns fucking suck?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 20161105_105553.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161105_105553.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Why do my hash browns fucking suck?
>>
>>8250177
I'm going to say you're not removing enough water, and you're not letting them fry long enough before trying to flip it to keep it one solid piece
or do they taste bad, and you like them stringy? I like mine stringy and do it on purpose
>>
Because there's no ketchup
>>
>>8250180
Nah I want them to be crisper, I guess I'm not drying them well enough but this is like my 15th time making them and I've let them sit and dry for a longer period of time each time.

I think they taste good, I'm just not getting the crisp that I want without burning the outside, or it cooking unevenly.
>>
>>8250191
A potato ricer will really let you fucking squeeze those potatoes water out. I've not used one but it's the recommended tool for hashbrowns
>>
>>8250191
try par-baking the potatoes the night before, chilling in the fridge before you shred them.
>>
File: 1476967547170.gif (2MB, 250x308px) Image search: [Google]
1476967547170.gif
2MB, 250x308px
>>8250201
I've been using room temperature potatoes but grating them into a bowl of cold water. I guess it should be colder? I'll try chilling the potatoes the night before, I don't even know what par-baking is.

I'm pretty noob, obviously
>>
>>8250208
just bake the potatoes for like 30 minutes instead of a full hour. poke holes in them with a fork to let the steam out.

the water trick you are using takes starch out, which is also good for crispier hashbrowns.
>>
>>8250201
>try par-baking the potatoes the night before, chilling in the fridge before you shred them.
I actually micro-bake them the night before.

Shredding is harder unless you have practice to know how far to cook them, but a nice dice or slice of a cold cooked or mostly cooked potato gives you a hash brown that browns up nicely.

OP, you should not worry about burning them in a nonstick. It should go through the stages of cooking to browning without burning if you aren't uses tons of oil or very high heat. They take patience though from raw.
>>
>>8250244
So how long should I cook them for? I haven't really timed myself but it's usually 15-20 minutes of cooking
>>
>>8250177
Suggestion: after squeezing all of the water out, put them in the microwave for exactly one minute, then fry.

Makes them perfect 100 percent of the time.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.