[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much nutrients are lost during boiling buckwheat?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: buckwheat.jpg (255KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
buckwheat.jpg
255KB, 600x450px
My favorite and arguably the best source of magnesium is buckwheat (~230mg per 100g raw). During the process of cooking, some of the magnesium leeches out into the water. Does anyone have any idea how much this can be? I know there are ways to get around this such as making sure all of the water is reabsorbed or drinking the leftover water; I am writing this post out of curiosity as I study human nutrition.

As a bonus question, does anyone know why buckwheat has so much magnesium and what it is mainly stored as in the plant?
>>
> I am writing this post out of curiosity as I study human nutrition
Then go read a book on the subject you dumb millenial
>>
>/ck/ - Food Scientists

I suggest you just take a multivitamin
>>
>>8239138

Actually multivitamins are a waste of money, I recommend reading up on it.
>>
>>8239142
Do you have a blog about the vitamin industry
>>
>>8239142
Multivitamins are not a waste. Perhaps you should stop being so easily influenced by propaganda.
>>
>>8239142
Idk, every doctor I've ever been to recommends it. Plus, its like a dollar a month.
>>
Maybe just boil it in enough water, like rice, so you dont have to drain it
>>
Its amazing how people fixate on nonsense.

>my favorite source of magnesium

How much do you even need?
>>
Take the buckwheat water, season it, and cook rice in it. Waa~laa, no nutrients lost.
>>
>>8239200
>Idk, every doctor I've ever been to recommends it. Plus, its like a dollar a month.
Every doctor I've been to only recommends supplements when you show up deficient in something, such as Vitamin D, or for expecant moms the folic acid.
Anything else? Never.
>>
>>8239105
Soaking and cooking does reduce the overall nutrition in food but in most cases it increases the bioavailability, that is the amount of nutrition that is available in a form that your body can make use of, making for a net gain in what nutrition you actually get from eating something.
Many raw plants have chemicals with antinutritive properties, that is they hamper your body's ability to absorb available nutrition, or outright toxins in addition to much of the nutrition being locked in forms that your body can't make use of.
For example; most of the calcium in brassica plants is locked up in large calcium oxalate crystals that your body cannot absorb and so just float around and can even clump together to form kidney stones.

Grains should generally be soaked beforehand in addition to cooking.
>>
>>8239713
Doctors are actually incentivised to shill certain products. Not all of them do it but there's money on the table to push certain brands or unnecessary treatments.
>>
>>8239702
You'd be surprised. It's like 300mg for women and 400ish for men. Half of American adults don't get enough.
>>
>>8239105
Nutritionist is a meme.

Only the term Dietician is protected by Federal Law.

Save yourself the hassle and consume Durian instead if you want magnesium.
>>
>>8239142
Vitamin D3 isn't a meme since hard to get Vitamin D3 from diet since only a few food sources like Sardines provide Vitamin D3.
>>
>>8239105
>does anyone know why buckwheat has so much magnesium and what it is mainly stored as in the plant?

Per cup, you get more magnesium in many places - pumpkin, sesame and sunflower seeds, navy, black and soy beans, etc. Spinach has around 156mg per cup, and it's a lot easier to eat a cup of spinach than a cup of buckwheat.

I'm also finding conflicting info regarding how much magnesium buckwheat actually has, anywhere from 85mg to 231mg per 100g. If this is just the difference between cooked and uncooked, you're definitely better off eating any of the things I listed above. You should be eating a lot of spinach on a regular basis regardless, if you're a man - spinach is one of the only vegetables so far to have shown evidence of significant protection against aggressive prostate cancer.

>>8239194
>Multivitamins are not a waste. Perhaps you should stop being so easily influenced by propaganda.

Which propaganda would that be, the "eat more fruits and vegetables, they're good for you" propaganda? Your body is designed to absorb vitamins and minerals as they occur naturally in your food, not isolated and synthetic forms concentrated in a pill. Supplementing Vitamins A and E, for example, has been shown in multiple trials to not only be completely useless in preventing disease, but actually increases your risk of all cause mortality. Expect similar evidence for other vitamins in the future.

If you want vitamins, eat a balanced diet of fruits and vegetables. We're not even remotely close to being able to replicate a healthy diet via pills.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.