[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fermented Hot Sauce

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 20161025_201910 (1).jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161025_201910 (1).jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
I see a new one never started since the last one.

I'm one of the anons that decided to try making my own hot sauce after reading thru the original thread.

Pic is where I'm at. Fermented in jar for 2 and a half weeks then pureed and sitting back in a dark cabinet to ferment some more. I used just garlic and red jalapeno as my fermentables and as I was blending it I had to wonder if I'd used too much garlic. The smell of it is very heavy and that mixed with the seeds breaking up in the blender gave me a coughing fit.

Last thread was awesome and got alot of people talking and choosing to experiment on their own. Let's do it again.
>>
File: 1434159029330.jpg (420KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1434159029330.jpg
420KB, 1280x1024px
I'm doing the same thing with 7 pot Chenguana peppers. I've always been tired of super hot sauces that taste like shit. I wanted something that hurts but tastes good. Did you use a thickening agent like corn starch? I always have a "too watery" problem.
>>
>>8219601
Just transferred a batch I started during that thread to a gallon jug today with a fermentation lock. I did it a little different and pureed my tabasco peppers with the brine and stirred daily. It started out with a "fart" smell, but after about a week didn't have any smell other than hot. I tasted it yesterday and it was hot, but had a nice undertone of flavor that I don't quite know how to describe. I'm planning on letting it go a year.
>>
>>8219647
yeah, my 7 pots have a sort of "burning fart" smell. I hope it goes away
>>
>>8219637
>That moment when you forget who you're fighting
>1000 arrows later
>Oh yeah, the Vaegir
>>
>>8219637
this is my first time trying this so in my pic is nothing but the garlic and jalapeno, which I fermented just roughly chopped, processed for a few minutes. It still seemed slightly chunky but overall I was fine with the consistency. I'm giving it another few weeks in a jar with a loose lid and then I'll give it a try.

A question for people with more experience. I never noticed any real mold growing on top of the brine but the brine itself became very hazy and discolored. When I separated it from the fermented peppers it had jaundiced yellow color to it. Anything to worry about?
>>
>>8219838
Have you added White vinegar? It acts as a way to keep the hot sauce from going bad. It might discolor but should keep it's freshness.
>>
>>8219856
no vinegar yet since I want to make sure the culture is still alive when it's time to use it. If it turns out I like it enough to keep around I may add that and simmer it so the sauce can be bottled

still though, in the last thread one guy said he had some batches fermenting for a year so I may leave as is too. Since I've never done this before it seems like I'm going to have to try alot of different methods before I find what I like best. Right now I'm just trying to prevent any major fuck ups.
>>
>>8219838
My understanding is it should get cloudy after the first couple days. It indicates fermentation is proceeding as planned.

After I did my grind style with tabasco, I started another batch that was just roughly chopped jalelenos in a 5% brine and it's gone cloudy after 2 days. I never saw mold in my tabascos or this jalepeno, so far either.
>>
>>8219912
I always simmer my items before processing. gets all the juices mixing and tempers the heat. I add the vinegar in during processing. I've read multiple recipes that have also said to do so and then let sit for two weeks.
>>
>>8219912
I agree about wanting the guy that started this to come back, though. I've always made hot pepper sauce before with a vinegar brine, but this year I'm trying straight fermentation based on that thread.

I've made great sauerkraut, beer, wine and mead, but I'd like to hear his opinions on how this hot pepper sauce is progressing.
>>
>>8219927
in your tabasco batch did you grind the peppers with salt and then let ferment? Even though I'm still in the middle of my first batch I'm thinking of going an and starting another that I'll process (without garlic this time) and let sit.

>>8219932
I'm worried that that process would kill the culture. It is possible to get a culture started on cooked peppers? And on that matter what about reconstituted dried peppers? I keep alot of dried peppers around for various things and wouldn't mind trying to ferment some morita or chili pequin.
>>
>>8219958
I've done beer and cider myself. Just brewed beer this weekend after taking half a year off. I think the last thread got me excited doing my own fermentations again

On a side not whatever happened to the homebrew threads in /ck/? I remember 2 or 3 years ago they were a regular thing and then they just disappeared.
>>
>>8220006
i believe you can find them on /diy/ sometimes
>>
>>8219974
Yeah, I ground 3.3lbs of tabasco with 2 cups water and 37g of kosher salt. Works out to about a 2.5% salt. Put it into a glass jar with a thick cheesecloth covering and stirred everyday. After a couple days the solid and liquid began to separate and the fart smell started. After a week, there wasn't any smell anymore and today I transferred it into a gallon jar with a fermentation lock. I'm planning on letting it go a year. It tated good when I tasted it yesterday.
>>
>>8220006
I'm planning on brewing an all grain Alt this weekend and I might try to do a pic thread if you think people might be interested.
>>
>>8220053
Give it a shot. All grain batches are always interesting if just to see the brewers equipment set up and method.
>>
just a bump
>>
>>8219808
That's a Nord you autist
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.