[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /ck/ think about hot sauces?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

File: HotSauce_V3.png (176KB, 732x1892px) Image search: [Google]
HotSauce_V3.png
176KB, 732x1892px
What does /ck/ think about hot sauces?
>>
>>8216740
I fucking cry every time I see hot sauce thread. Why do stupid ruskies don't like them.
>>
>Crystal
>Only 800 scoville
I don't believe that, or at least I don't believe it applies to their extra hot.
Because that shit is WAY hotter than Sriracha.
>>
I really like Sambal in stir fry.
>>
I consider Cholula to be the most mild of the big name hot sauces. I use it mostly for it's flavor rather than for heat. Perfect on scrambled eggs if you like that combo.
>>
>>8216740
have franks, sriracha, texas pete, and sambal in the fridge.

I don't consider myself a hot sauce aficianado but maybe 4 kinds is a lot, idk
>>
>>8217074
also have serranos, red thai chilis, and one other kind in the freezer I can't remember the name of. It's an orange and lumpy one about 3 inches long.
>>
Cholula is the single greatest condiment I have ever encountered. I can mix that shit into vanilla ice cream and it still tastes great. Ur my waifu cholula. Never leave me.
>>
>recipe calls for 1 chipotle in adobo
>use 1 can instead
an interesting experience, basically just loaded up my tacos with sour cream and pounded beer to bear the heat
>>
>>8216740
I like them though I don't use nearly as much as I used to. I've got some El Yucateco right now, fell in love with it when I didn't realize it was an open top bottle and covered a street taco is a layer of green.
>>
>meme sauce
>>
>>8216749
1 drop is 800 - when you put a bunch of it on something its increases value
>>
File: 3398_1.jpg (11KB, 156x400px) Image search: [Google]
3398_1.jpg
11KB, 156x400px
>>8216740
t. Jamaican
>>
>>8217299
Scoville is invariant to volume.
>>
>>8217067
Oh man I used to do that a lot with tabasco in college, good times.
>>
>>8216740
>Chipotles
>being spicy

damnit you gringos really have shit taste, most of those fucking sauces are not spicy at all, hell most of them would be treated as children stuff in tacoland
>>
>>8217327
true but not practically so. scoville refers specifically to the units of water necessary to stop being such a bitch.

now unless you're eating hard tack with crushed pepper flakes on it, there is going to be a lot of water involved in your meal and the sauce itself. so yeah, more sauce means more hot, up to but not exceeding rating of the sauce itself.
>>
File: trash.png (899KB, 680x697px) Image search: [Google]
trash.png
899KB, 680x697px
Can anyone explain the lab procedure used to measure the scoville unit content of hot sauces?
I really need proof that these measurements are accurate, because they don't jive with my experience.
Do they use gas chromatography–mass spectrometry? Can anyone link to actual test results? Source data for OP's pic, or else its trash.
"Ultimate Guide" with no source of peer reviewed data? How stupid do I look?
>>
i fucking love hot sauce and eating hot things, but i never know whats good and whats not good. i'm so fucking new to the "Scene"

I did the "blazing" challenge at bdubs and now i just want to try hotter and hotter things
>>
People who need to add hot sauce to everything are basically babies who can handle distinct flavours.

Spicy foods are delicious but the spice should be added during the cooking.
>>
>>8217370
Used to be done with sugar water, now it's done with HPLC. Obviously the results will vary enormously between growing regions, soil conditions, time of year, weather, age of the pepper, handling, and just plain individual variability between plants. Very rarely are individual plants tested (except for record determination).
>>
>>8217390

what the fuck is the difference? why can't you just season it with hot sauce after it's cooked?

>haha look at all these faggots who don't add gravy to their mashed potatoes during the cooking process

literally you
>>
>>8217372
The blazing challenge is quite possibly the worst wing related eating thing I have ever done. Those wings tasted like hot ass. Triple atomic were way better.

>>8217390
Who said anything about pouring the sauce on everything now?
>>
>>8217403
>Who said anything about pouring the sauce on everything now?

I know people who literally carry hotsauce with them everywhere to do just this.

>>8217399
Gravy isn't a condiment, it's a sauce
>>
>>8217396
I cant trust results for peppers, every plant is different. The commercial products should be homogeneous, and I would expect them to provide quantitative assays, unlike their "contents" label, which says "its in there, we wont say how much"
>>
>>8216740

Sambal should be near Tobaso.

Cholula should be lower. I don't think it's very spicy or tasty. Tapatio is spicier than Cholula.
>>
>>8217408
Ok so you know some people, let's bitch about everyone now. Like for fucks sake, someone who does hot wings challenges is telling you this.
>>
>>8217396
>HPLC
if theyre just testing the sauces, it should be fairly consistent
>>
El Yucateca masterrace checking in
>>
>>8217441
No, I'm not bitching about everyone. Are you mentally retarded?

>People who need to add hot sauce to everything are basically babies who can handle distinct flavours.

Did I say "everyone who uses hot sauce at any point" ?
>>
>>8217484
And where are these people? Why did you come into a hot sauce thread to bitch about them? Do you also go into your local church and bitch about religious people who proselytize too much? Your local pub to bitch about the winos in the park?
>>
>>8217408
> hot sauce isnt a sauce
What???
>>
>>8217488
I see them everywhere dude that's what I'm talking about.

The thread ASKED for our opinions. If my local church asked my their opinion I might say that. I did not randomly decided to post my opinion on the subsection of hot sauce users abot which I have a negative opinion.
>>
>>8217511
Asked what you think about hot sauce, not some cunts you know.
>>
>>8217511
>>>reddit
>>
>>8216740
I like really hot sauces in chili
>>
>>8217300
my fucking nigga
>>
There's no way Tabasco and Cholula are hotter than Crystal and Frank's
>>
>>8216740
Im a Tabasco man myself
>>
Just bought some west Indian hot sauce, that stuff needs it's own level
>>
>>8217894
Are you kidding? Frank's and crystal are mostly flavor with very little real heat. Cholula is questionable but Tabasco is definitely hotter than both
>>
>>8216749
Maybe you're just a pussy anon
>>
>>8217894
>>8217944
None of these sauces are particularly hot. Jalapenos would top this list. Jalapenos are like the least hot pepper that actually counts as being a hot pepper (nobody cares about you, bell).
>>
>>8217894
I thought this too but then I realize I use tiny splashes of tabasco and slather things in Frank's
>>
Anything Tobasco and lower is not spicy.
>>
Cholula has no heat at all, but it's got a good flavor that the others don't have.
>>
>>8216740
I make my own
Now fuck of pleb
>>
>>8218041
Yes, but we're not talking about peppers.
>>
>>8218642
Same here, 2 batches going right now. Double fuck off OP.
>>
>>8216740
Hot sauce detracts from Good quality food.
Low quality trash needs alot of it
>>
black valentina or else you're a fag
>>
File: IMG_20161025_141812583_resized.jpg (357KB, 1400x786px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161025_141812583_resized.jpg
357KB, 1400x786px
Gonna be cooking stir fry with these later today. Anyone have any experience with sichuan peppercorns? I heard you're not supposed to eat them directly, so I'm thinking of just adding them to the frying pan oil beforehand and then removing after a couple minutes to add the vegetables.
>>
>>8219025
Make sure to balance your Ma and La.
>>
>>8219045
>The term málà is a combination of two Chinese characters: "numbing" (麻) and "spicy (hot)" (辣), referring to the feeling in the mouth after eating the sauce.
>The numbness is caused by Sichuan pepper, which contains 3% hydroxy-alpha-sanshool. The recipe often uses dried red peppers that are less spicy than bird's eye chili, which is widely used in Southeast Asian cuisines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mala_sauce

Interesting. Well I will try my best. I have dark soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and garlic too. Will probably end up using a bit of all of this. Maybe that's a bit overboard.
>>
I usually get the Extra Hot Frank's and add in a bit more cayenne, crushed red pepper, and jalapenos to it.

Like the taste Frank's.
>>
>>8219025
I fry them in sesame oil in a separate pan for a a bit, then pour the oil into the stir fry at the end. I don't even know if that's the right way to do it.
>>
File: tmp_9370-Sauces566629464.jpg (459KB, 1600x1130px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_9370-Sauces566629464.jpg
459KB, 1600x1130px
Step aside, another masterrace coming through

I've also had some seriously dank homemade stuff, like it was infused with cilantro or citrus or something. Any of you artesianfags have any knowledge to drop?
>>
Tabasco is not spicier then sriracha, no bloody way. Tabasco is soft shit as are green chilis, sriracha is super fucking condensed spicy.
>>
>>8216740
>Adding sauce to food
Child.
>>
>>8219025
>>8219060
Mala sauce is fucking delicous! The first time I had it, i didnt know what it was. at the end of the meal my mouth was tingly and I thought I was having a stroke. Definitely don't eat them plain. I would grind a teaspoon of them up really fine for a whole meal / serving for 2. Also I haven't had good experience cooking them alone directly in oil, I burned them
>>
>>8219115
Okay, so should I grind them up finely and then just add them along with the vegetables?

Only problem is I don't have a mortar and pestle or anything like that. Could try to make do with mashing them up some other way.

Also,
>Having a stroke
That doesn't sound too good. Well I guess it's just the tingly feeling. I tried eating a couple raw and they did give off that feel.
>>
File: 1437522817557.png (588KB, 843x717px) Image search: [Google]
1437522817557.png
588KB, 843x717px
>anything less than 50,000 scoville
>>
>>8219104
>i only eat raw oats and plain chicken breasts

kys
>>
This stuff is top tier.
>>
>>8219099
this nigga is right
also try papaya hot sauces, they rock
>>
>>8219124
I really like the tingly feeling, I just didn't know what Sichuan peppers where at the time and it freaked me out.

If you have a spare pepper grinder around, toss them in there. I keep them that way, I don't own a mortar and pestle either Q_Q
>>
>>8216749
crystal is mild af
i went through almost the entire bottle in a month
>>
>>8219157
I tried putting some in my handheld garlic press and it only sort of crushed them. So much for that. I'll get something to grind them next time I go to the store then.

These really do have a very vibrant smell and numbness. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>8216740
>Not making your own sambal bajak
Plebs
>>
>>8219124
Grind them up in your coffee mill and then forget to clean it, fun times in the morning guaranteed.
>>
>>8219392
Are you speaking from personal experience?
>>
>>8216740
I like all of these and will try new ones that I find. I like fresh-made salsa cruda type condiment best of all though. Or Escabeche.
>>
>>8219139
This. Just made wings with a 655k scoville ghost pepper sauce. I saw the face of God.
>>
File: 1477063493192.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
1477063493192.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
>>8219516
>655k scoville
>655
haha, pussy
>655k
>k
>K
>655KKKKKKKKK
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.