[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How are we able to eat raw fish but not raw meat?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: sushi.jpg (127KB, 700x420px) Image search: [Google]
sushi.jpg
127KB, 700x420px
How are we able to eat raw fish but not raw meat?
>>
There is non-fish sashimi (beef, pork, chicken, frog, etc...). It just has to be very fresh/prepared correctly. Keep in mind most fish is not safe to eat raw under normal conditions either.
>>
>>8215281
Tartare and carpaccio springs to mind.
>>
>>8215281

Because most raw meat isn't all that appealing to our palates. There are some exceptions of course: a great many people like rare steak, and beef tartare is certainly popular as well.

From a bacterial perspective there really isn't much difference between eating raw fish, beef, chicken, or any other meat, really. Refer to the section on microbiology in the first volume of Modernist Cuisine. It's quite fascinating actually.
>>
>>8215281
im not 100% sure on this, but im pretty sure you can eat raw meat as long as its not old and shitty or infected by some parasite or something. i mean, we had to get protein before we could use fire right?

it would most certainly taste like shit though
>>
>>8215281
A lot of parasites and microbes have a hard time living in cold salty water or just water in general. You just have to make sure it's either fresh or was properly preserved.
>>
File: The sickest shades.jpg (57KB, 558x277px) Image search: [Google]
The sickest shades.jpg
57KB, 558x277px
Inuits eat their fish raw in order to get more vitamin C out of it to make up for their diet which is scarce in veggies and fruits.
>>
>>8215281
that "wasabi" looks like fucking green frosting, jesus christ
>>
>>8215304
>From a bacterial perspective there really isn't much difference between eating raw fish, beef, chicken, or any other meat, really.

How fucking retarded are you? Muscular texture is literally the only reason why you have to cook chicken to a higher temperature than beef.

Avian muscle tissue is much less dense and slightly porous to make it easier constrain aerodynamics necessary for flight, a consequence of which is that bacteria can more freely grow inwards, making it unsuitable to have any different levels of doneness that you see in beef. When was the last time you got asked by a waiter: "How would you like your chicken cooked?" Here, I'll answer that for you; NEVER.

Conversely, beef is far more dense because of the muscular tissue needed to keep the cow upright and standing on land. It's why you only really ever need to cook the outermost few millimeters of a steak before the entire cut becomes safe to eat, leading to rare/mid rare/medium/etc doneness levels we all know. And also why you need to cook ground beef all the way through because you're mixing outside parts with the inside parts which never would ordinarily have the same amount of bacterial growth.

Look at how much I had write out to debunk this shit. You just casually spew out a load of totally false word diarrhea, tack on a reference to modernist cuisine, and call it a fucking day. You are the fucking tumor metastasizing on /ck/; do us all a favor: go eat some medium-rare chicken, get sick, and die.
>>
File: sashimi.jpg (106KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
sashimi.jpg
106KB, 1000x562px
>>8216511
how retarded are you?
raw chicken would be perfectly safe to eat if as a society we hadn't decided it's acceptable to raise it in the most squalid, unsanitary conditions possible
>>
Basically it's just because fish is a lot easier to quickly prepare cleanly, compared to something like a chicken. You just gut the fish and the meat is easily separated from the body. Also, fish carry a lot less parasites and bacteria that can harm us than do land animals.
Theoretically you can butcher a cow with great care and eat it raw (this is steak tartare). The same goes for chicken IF they were raised in clean conditions (not any USA farm).
>>
>>8216535

>beef from cows raised in factory farm conditions is able to be cooked only on the outside and remain perfectly edible
>chicken from factory farm conditions needs to be cooked all the way through

stop digging the hole
>>
>>8215281
Because the meat in the united states comes from the most unsanitary cesspools imaginable.
>>
>>8216554
beef factory farm conditions =/= chicken factory farm conditions
>>
>>8216554
>>8216558
Cow muscle is incredibly dense compared to chicken muscle. Negligible amounts of bacteria can pass through beef muscle; chicken meat is porous.
>>
File: Factory Cow Herd.jpg (96KB, 600x323px) Image search: [Google]
Factory Cow Herd.jpg
96KB, 600x323px
>>8216558

doesn't look great to me
>>
>>8216584
herbivore waste isn't as hazardous as omnivore waste
>>
File: 1463291310272.jpg (88KB, 640x558px) Image search: [Google]
1463291310272.jpg
88KB, 640x558px
>>8216511
>>
>>8215294
if it smells good and looks good, you're so unlikely to get sick by it unless you have an autoimmune disorder. which i do. yet i've never been sick by making homemade poke with ahi from the supermarket and my blue rare steaks
>>
rare/raw lamb is great... I love going to shabu shabu and barely dipping the meat in before eating
>>
File: obama-mic-drop.gif (3MB, 500x524px) Image search: [Google]
obama-mic-drop.gif
3MB, 500x524px
>>8216511
you should google "chicken sashimi," do some more research, and rethink your answer. Salmonella lives in the guts of the chicken. When chickens are raised in clean conditions and processed correctly, there is no reason why salmonella should be in the breast. In fact, the chicken breast is the least likely place to find salmonella in a freshly cleaned whole bird.

Hence, chicken breast is used to make chicken sashimi.

this asshole is right: >>8216535

and so are the others that pointed out that the squalid raising conditions, the texture, and the flavor of raw chicken and pork are the primary reasons why those meats aren't usually served raw.

Now do us all a favor and throw your sanctimonious self off a bridge, faggot.
>>
>>8216020
Truth is, Inuits eat their meat'n fish raw because of a total shortage of fuel.
>>
>>8216511
I agree with you but I've been asked how I'd like my duck cooked. They fly. Is duck meat more dense?
>>
File: ghjgfj.png (704KB, 591x581px) Image search: [Google]
ghjgfj.png
704KB, 591x581px
i think it has to do with fish live in antibacterial SALT water their whole life while animals are playing in their own shit

theres no poop matter on a fish generally

but meat can be infected with all kinds of stuff
>>
>>8215281
fish isn't an animal
>>
>>8216020
Do you want to look like an Inuit you retard
They're fat toothless chinks with IQs of 3.5
>>
>>8216781
yes
because they fly
>>
>>8216511
>Muscular texture is literally the only reason why you have to cook chicken to a higher temperature than beef.

That reason is all in your head, as the citation I posted explains.

>> to debunk this shit.

You didn't debunk anything. You're just repeating the same old "common knowledge" old wives tales.
>>
>>8216787
A lot of fish are freshwater bro.

>>meat can be infected with all kinds of stuff
So can fish.
>>
this whole thread is absolutely embarrassing
yet another bullshit waste of data question that could be answered with a 15 second wikipedia/google search
youre all wrong by the way, every one of you
>>
>>8216751
Does this also apply to pork?
Am I missing out on some dope medium-rare pork cutlets?
>>
>>8219015

Pork is perfectly safe to eat medium rare. We've known for nearly 100 years now that even "medium rare" is hot enough to kill the trichina parasite.
>>
>>8216024
the saturation was turned up in photoshop.
>>
>>8218787

right, but the difference between eating raw seafood and eating raw freshwater fish/mammals is that the parasites/microbes/pathogens that are able to thrive in saltwater proteins don't do so well in freshwater and mammals.. that's why it's safer to eat raw seafood.

>spoiler alert: it's all flash frozen at sea anyway
>>
>>8219015

It's common here to eat minced pork raw on a roll, with onions, pepper, salt and maybe parsley.

It's perfectly safe.
>>
I've eaten raw deer meat, which is probably much more unsafe than eating properly raised livestock. I didn't really enjoy it. Deer needs to be roasted, stewed or braised.
>>
>>8215281
>Sushi and sashimi are traditional Japanese dishes known worldwide. In Japanese restaurants and sushi bars, they are preferentially, although not exclusively, prepared from relatively expensive marine fish such as tuna, yellow tail, red snapper, salmon, and flatfish/flounder. Among those fish, salmon is an important intermediate host for the fish tapeworm Diphyllobothrium latum. Although various marine fish species harbor Anisakis larvae, fish that are preferentially served in Japanese restaurants and sushi bars are less contaminated or are even free of Anisakis larvae. In contrast, other popular and cheap marine fish, such as cod, herring, mackerel, and squid tend to be heavily infected with Anisakis larvae and are mainly consumed at home or at local restaurants. Except for Anisakis and D. latum, marine fish usually only transmit few parasite species that infect humans. Thus, the risk of infection with fishborne parasites by dining in the Japanese restaurants and sushi bars is not as significant as is generally feared.

>In rural areas in Japan, freshwater or brackish-water fish are consumed as sushi and sashimi. Moreover, various wild animals like frogs, land snails, snakes, backyard chicken, and wild boar are also served as sushi and sashimi, especially in the mountainous areas. They are also consumed raw or undercooked in a variety of ethnic dishes in many Asian countries as well. Because of this, an array of zoonotic parasites are transmitted to humans (table 1). Thus, travelers dining in local restaurants or street shops can be expected to have much higher risks of infections with various parasites. The aim of this review is to provide practical information on fishborne and foodborne parasitic diseases from Asia, which are less well-known among travelers and physicians in Western countries

http://m.cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/41/9/1297.long
>>
>>8216535
>chicken has clearly been cooked on the outsides
>"sashimi"
>so cucked by asians you pay top dorrar to eat slimy pieces of pan-seared meat just because they say it's something else
>>
>>8219015
Only trust German pork since Germans have a culture of eating raw pork.
>>
>>8219021
This kills anon
>>
>>8220589
>wild boar
>raw

No. Dude. What.
>>
>>8221125
In Japan, not US. They don't have the same parasites there.
>>
From what i know, fish used for sushi is first iced at -something temperature to kill parasites, so you can only use that kind, normal fresh fish not allowed. Probably same with meat, i eat carpaccio wich is basically thin slices of raw meat, its good and nothing wrong with it
>>
>>8221296
That's a gross oversimplification, and it also depends a lot on the type of fish and also the country involved.

In the US you can assume that it was all frozen at some point.

Elsewhere, it depends. A lot of fish gets frozen because the boats are so far away from shore that they must be frozen to preserve the catch. Other fish is deliberately frozen at specific temp/time to improve it's flavor or texture. Still other fish is never frozen. And if you notice, freshwater fish is nearly always cooked for sushi while saltwater is generally served raw (though there are exceptions to both).
>>
>>8218749
You'd be fat, toothless and have an IQ of 35 too if you just ate meat and fish all the time and lived in the fucking arctic.
>>
>>8218749
They only became fatter after introduction of sugar. They weren't that bad before incorporating sugar into their food.
>>
>>8223191
You think? They were fucking struggling for food constantly in an environment that even our best outdoorsman would live, maybe a week. The average amerilard? 2 days at most. Fat? Fugitaboutit.
>>
>>8218749
/pol/ pls go
>>
>>8216787
Dude, you gotta go to bed.

This, what you said right here, makes no sense. It's just that: NONsense.

These posts don't contribute anything they really only serve to distract and detract from, really, any meaningful conversation.

I just want you to think about that.
>>
>>8215281
Fish's habitat is in sea water, which means they're already marinated by nature.
>>
>>8220593
found the weeb
>>
>>8223363
*Brined
>>
Undercooked chicken tastes like ass.
>>
Isn't sushi frozen to kill parasites before being served as sushi?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.