[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Future food

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: the-future-of-food.jpg (15KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
the-future-of-food.jpg
15KB, 500x338px
What will food be like in the next 50 years, /ck/?

Will it change drastically or stay more or less the same?
>>
>>8206794

Food has changed drastically in the last 50 years, and I have no reason to suspect history won't repeat itself. Climate change is going to have some big changes on agriculture, and, unless I'm mistaken, the oceans won't be able to sustain fishing for much longer either.

When the ocean levels levels rise, huge populations will be displaced and everything will go to total shit. I imagine mass starvation for the third world, some starvation for the first world, but also lots of meal replacements and vitamins when agriculture is dead. And think of how far our food travels, especially for Americans. That's really going to be hard to do without fossil fuels.

It gives me a weird nerdy boner to think that in the far future humans will be forced to revert into hunting/ gathering and small scale agriculture and yet they will be surrounded by all of these artifacts of our decadence and they will sit around fires and tell stories and myths about the old times. idfk.
>>
Food will be in pill form. and pills will be in food form. +10 goodboy points if you guess the correct refrence.
>>
>>8206849
Plus side, you're completely wrong.
>>
File: image.jpg (144KB, 485x488px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144KB, 485x488px
>>8206858
Dale Gribble?
>>
>>8206794
If current trends continue:

People will spend even less time cooking, and prepackaged/processed foods will become even more prevalent
Agriculture will be fairly fucked up by a combination of climate change (more extreme weather overall, rising sea levels, and things no longer growing well where they used to), loss of bee populations to pollinate crops, and increasingly scarce fresh water.
There will be huge issues in the third world due to water scarcity, and more than likely the martial and political conflicts that will arise as a result.
Corporations will get even better at marketing foods, and food trends will become even more prevalent and powerful than they are now.
Veganism will likely continue to grow, although this will possibly be offset by the advent of lab-grown meat that will eliminate the ethical issues that often drive people to veganism.
Seafood will either become exorbitantly expensive as we're forced to drastically change/reduce our fishing practices, or fish stocks will crash and food scarcity/ecological disaster will occur. On the flip side, if that happens there will be a huge overabundance of invertebrate seafoods like urchins, jellyfish, squid etc. as the fish and higher-level predators that fed on them are killed off.

I could go on but honestly I feel like very few of the things that will likely happen will be good.
>>
>>8206858
Nah that's what they thought post industrialized food would be like way back in the 40s and 50s, but if anything we've seen the complete opposite, meals now are more customized and niche then ever, with most restaurants opening now having tons of different culinary influences, everyone wants to have that "Asian inspired" or "south American inspired" twist and I see no reason why that would stop. Shit's gonna get even more ridiculous
>>
>>8206849
Mah nerdy boner bro
>>
Fast food preparation will be largely automated and its role as entry level work will be eliminated. These places will be staffed by only 1-2 people at a time and their job will be mostly maintenance based; cleaning, emptying trash, etc. They will be cleaner and nicer to eat at, and the food will be cheaper, faster, and more consistent. Hand-made restaurant food will be considered more of a luxury.
>>
File: ewu6rt9gz0lz7briiuir.jpg (58KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ewu6rt9gz0lz7briiuir.jpg
58KB, 800x600px
>>8206794
still the same,
just more comfy because every street will have noodle shops that will feel like our own little slice of NEO-Tokyo
>>
>>8206794
The US will learn to really, really like Chinese food.
>>
Thanks to eternal God Emperor Trump we will be eating a 100% meat diet. Veganism will be outlawed and everyone caught eating vegetables will be shot on the spot.
>>
>>8208598

the idea is funny, but did he actually speak out against veganism/vegetables?
>>
File: soylent green.png (55KB, 375x360px) Image search: [Google]
soylent green.png
55KB, 375x360px
>>8206794
>>
>>8208660

people are joking about this, but if you've eaten plants or animals that grew on any soil a human has died or was buried, and you will, you will have eaten reprocessed human. And after a certain point of chemical degradation it really doesn't matter anymore.
>>
>>8208666
>people are joking about this

I'm not, I sincerely think it's the final solution to the overpopulation question.
>>
>>8208666
>You are now are aware that all your life you've been eating decayed dinosaurs
>>
>>8208682

it could only be if you're aiming at reducing the total population (for as long as you're feeding human remains as a significant portion of the diet) or at least try to alleviate specific bottlenecks of nutrition (basically phosphorous when sources run dry in about 30 years or something)

Other than these specific circumstances it really does not benefit human population by consuming itself. It very much is like recycling, as in the picture, it reintroduces waste material but you still have to have other sources.

I would think in a human society with full biomass recycling (say, a space ship) you would biodegrade all wastes to a harmless form of basic chemicals and then reintroduce them to the cycle.
>>
>>8208666
i prefer mine fresh
>>
>>8208711

true, all soil is also just a writhing lump mass of bacteria with mineral clusters within. And it is also worm shit. if you go outside and pick up a handful of dirt, basically, you're holding a solid lump of bacteria.
>>
>>8208716

well, thats more energy-conserving at least.
>>
>>8208715
I think about using human compost to make some shitty regions livable. I wonder what you could do with the projected 4 billion Africans by 2100 to make the Sahara a nice place.
>>
>>8206849
this is pretty dumb
>>
>>8206893
>Seafood will either become exorbitantly expensive as we're forced to drastically change/reduce our fishing practices, or fish stocks will crash and food scarcity/ecological disaster will occur. On the flip side, if that happens there will be a huge overabundance of invertebrate seafoods like urchins, jellyfish, squid etc. as the fish and higher-level predators that fed on them are killed off.

Wrong. Aquaculture technology will advance to the point that fish will become the staple protein of the world.
Aquaculture already provides 50% of the seafood that people consume. As fisheries reach a breaking point, the aquaculture industry will explode.

I personally think beef, pork, chicken, and certain water-intensive plants will become prohibitively expensive to produce as the cost of fresh water begins to skyrocket. Of course, this won't be the case if someone invents a way to desalinate seawater that isn't as expensive as the methods we have now.
>>
>>8206893
>>8206849
>>8208853
Whoa whoa whoa, why will fresh water become scarce?
>>
>>8208873
r u retarded
>>
Assuming the future is going to follow the trends established over the last 50 years here would be my predictions:

Chicken everything, with cheese. It's already happening. And more turkey, too. Poultry will replace red meat in most situations, and "with cheese" will become the default in most dishes.

Also the gap between how the rich and the poor eat will widen, with most of the middle class tilting into the poor camp. The poor will eat almost entirely fast and convenience food, and rarely if ever do any actual cooking. Cooking will increasingly become a rich person's hobby like golf, riding horses or sailing. Eating a diet of foods prepared entirely from fresh ingredients will become as much of a class tell as a good pair of shoes or a well fitting suit. And while vegetarianism and veganism will remain somewhat fringe vegetable driven cuisine will become a huge trend among the affluent and well educated. Vegan options will become commonplace at restaurants catering to a more upscale crowd. The people ordering them will not be vegans for the most part, just people who believe they're better off eating more meals that qualify as vegan. The poor will knee jerk react against this, and restaurants catering to them will find more ways to shoehorn more meat and cheese into every dish. As a result their idea of normal weight will be well over the line into obesity. And that's going to be the biggest class tell between the rich and the poor.
>>
>>8208877
>doesn't know the answer either
>>
>>8206794

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/will-we-all-be-eating-insects-50-years/
>>
>>8206858
Here is the problem: Pills don't contain enough calories, so they pills can only be supplement.
UNLESS you make something like Potatochip pills, where you eat a large enough volume.

But as we have seen with Soylet: The concept might move on
>>
>>8206849
lol climate change
we'll just fish for dutchmen in the holland sea
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.