[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What culinary books and authors do you recommend for someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: 7777.jpg (48KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
7777.jpg
48KB, 600x400px
What culinary books and authors do you recommend for someone that isn't very good at cooking, /ck/?
>>
>>8203746
none just google what you want to make try your best to follow the simple ass instructions and then do it all again the next time. there is no reason to get a book
>>
america's test kitchen
>>
>>8204024
>there is no reason to get a book
When I come to this board and see people talking about thickening their soup with rice flour by adding it right to the hot pot, confused about why it's not working and they're getting clumps?

Buy a book.
Thickening a base is chapter one-level shit.
>>
>>8204206
cooks illustrated magazine is great.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Chef-Culinary-Institute-America/dp/0470421355/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1477007582&sr=1-1&keywords=cia+cookbook

or any respectable cooking school textbook would be a good start
>>
Mark Bittman's "How To Cook Everything"
>>
Pic related is my bible.
>>
File: image.jpg (12KB, 193x261px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 193x261px
>>8204312
>>
>>8203746
alton brown
>>
>>8204692
>Alton Brown - need $4000 dollars of specialty >equipment to make chocolate chip cookies.

I like his show, but I sometimes wonder how many people he scared off from cooking by all the equipment and techniques he uses
>>
>>8204703

"you faggots want to bake a chicken?"
>goes to home depot, buys several clay pots and flooring tiles and tell you to load up your home oven with 70lbs of clay and set it to self-cleaning mode
>>
*inhales vapor*
>>
>>8204248
you can google or youtube thickening. There is still no reason to buy a book. Just buy a bag of flour and a couple cans of chicken or something stock and practice gravy 'till you get it right.
>>
return the child radan
>>
>>8204740
lol. His show was fucking stupid but I loved how he addressed the chemistry of cooking.
>>
Jack Hewat's 100 simple meals is a classic
>>
>>8204740

"you cunts want ice cream?"
>welds a funnel to an old office filing cabinet and blows an entire fire extinguisher through it

alton please why do you poo on "unitaskers" but pull this shit
>>
>>
OP here. Thanks a lot, guys.
>>
>>8205595
Sorry, got caught up in the conversation.
Joy of Cooking is a great resource.
The text books never really did anything for me.
>>
>>8205620
Can confirm, joy of cooking is awesome. I have a 2006 version as well as an older 80s version and both are fucking awesome. There is a lot of information in them, but if you already know the information, it doesn't crowd up the recipes with it, it gets it all out of the way in the earlier section.

I hear the one by serious eats is pretty good. I pirated it, but haven't looked at it.
>>
>>8203746
Cooking classes to learn the basics of preparing food.
Then you look up a bunch of recipes online. Usually the highest rated ones are pretty good. Read the comments.
Eventually you get a feel about what you need to make a particular type of dish.

Challenge yourself by limiting the amount of base ingredients. Keep to a theme.
Evwntually you'll end up pretty decent at cooking. I mean not chef level but more than good enough to take care of yourself.

Worst thing I ever experienced was being dragged out of student dorms after some nigga burnt baked beans.

How the fuck do you burn baked beans? Just use the fucking microwave!
>>
>>8204758
>cans of chicken
Europoors actually eat this
>>
>>8205822
Third recommendation for The Joy of Cooking. It starts out with a straightforward recepie and then builds off the recepie using different ingredients and techniques to build your skills. Good stuff!
>>
>>8203746
Any notebook with Google.com installed
>>
>>8208032
tryhard/10
>>
>>8203746
flavour bible
>>
>>8204911
The box fan dehydrator seemed pretty legit.
>>
File: how to cook.jpg (90KB, 399x470px) Image search: [Google]
how to cook.jpg
90KB, 399x470px
>>8203746
>>
>>8206245
can of chicken stock jackass.
>>
>>8210031

Love this book. Picked up the How to Cook Everything Fast for cheap as well, haven't gotten to use it much yet.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.