[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sugar in sauce

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: arrabiatta.jpg (109KB, 600x630px) Image search: [Google]
arrabiatta.jpg
109KB, 600x630px
I'm trying to cook up an Italian meal for the family once a week. Everyone seems to like Arrabbiata sauce the most.

I've pulled in a few recipes in order to distill out the silly shit like capers, and I'm noticing a pattern. Tomatoes, onion, garlic, red pepper, salt, and... sugar.

Can someone explain to me why the sugar is necessary? Wouldn't the tomatoes already give the dish a sweet flavor?
>>
>>8201251
They can also give it an acidic flavour depending on the sauce, so sugar helps to balance it. However, most of the time sugar isn't necessary.
Cook the sauce, and in the last ten minutes or so, test taste it, and decide if it needs it then.
>>
>>8201251
Yes, but tomatoes also get very acidic/tangy when cooked, so traditionally the solution was to use a sweet red wine to balance things out and/or cook with meats in the sauce to give it richness. Now people add sugar. Same shit.
>>
Sugar is added to combat the acidity of shitty tomatoes. Cook your sauce correctly and don't use the cheapest shit canned tomatoes and you shouldn't need extra sugar. Throw in a splash of a sweet red wine if it's a bit acidic near the end.
>>
>>8201262
>>8201265
>>8201266

Holy shit, it's refreshing to find a board that actually knows what they are talking about.
>>
>>8201271
For me, it's the McChicken. The best fast food sandwich.
>>
>>8201271
I'm shocked that you are impressed by people knowing that sugar is added to counteract the acidity.

Adding sugar is whack. Just cook the sauce down slowly over a long period and you will have a superior product that doesn't require sugar.
>>
>>8201285

Not the sugar, just the rapid consensus. Not super common on many of the other boards.
>>
>>8201285

Does this low and slow method really work?

If you've already added the tomatoes, you're not going to see any more caramelization, so why would the sauce become sweeter over time?
>>
>>8201275

kek
>>
Dunno about low and slow, but I've noticed fresh tomatoes vs canned has made the difference in the need for sugar.
>>
is a tablespoon of oil too much for a 28oz can of tomato?
>>
>>8201330
If you have in-season, quality tomatoes, absolutely. No need for sugar when the tomatoes you start with are good. But the other nine months or so of the year, you might need a bit of sugar or some sweet red wine or something to balance out the less-than-ideal tomatoes you have to start with.
>>
>>8201305
i cook Bolognese this way fro lasagne and i really don't taste any acidity, i reduce and simmer for about an hour and 40 mins
>>
>>8201251
I use quality home canned Roma tomatoes and they have never needed sugar. When I don't have those (although it's been several years) whole canned San Marzano tomatoes don't need it either.

I guess it's a combination of shitty American canned tomatoes and Americans used to eating and drinking so much sugar, if their food isn't sickeningly sweet, they don't like it.
>>
>>8201251
you don't need sugar when you have really good tomatoes and give the acid enough time to dissolve in the cooking process. i am not a dogmatic cook though, and a teaspoon or two wont hurt.
>>
add aspartame instead of sugar.

That's what i do. comes out great.
>>
>>8201285
sugar doesn't counteract acid

sugar is neutral

you need base to counteract acid
>>
>>8202803
>Americans used to eating and drinking so much sugar, if their food isn't sickeningly sweet, they don't like it

Kekk litteraly this ammerigay's litteraly ad kilo's of suger and litars of corn sirap too everthing thay eat

Thay litteraly puts suger in theyre milk lol!
>>
>>8201293

This

/ck/ is where I go when I can't bear to watch /his/ slowly die to poltards and gommunists
>>
>>8201265
That's why I use carrots in my tomato soup. Not much, just enough to add a little sweetness.
>>
>>8201251
Onion is not necessary.

Adding sugar is especially common in the south due to Arabic influences.

I do my arrabbiata with tomatoes, sugar, salt, garlic, fresh chili peppers, fresh parsley and parmigiano or Pecorino Romano mixed into the sauce. Sometimes I add finely chopped pancetta or, if cooking for vegetarians, tiny amounts of smoked tofu.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.