[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /CK/ just an italian guy here who wants to know your take

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

Hey /CK/ just an italian guy here who wants to know your take on Ragù. Do you make your own, buy the ready made stuff? What is your recipe?

In a while i'll give you my family's recipe if you're interested.
>>
Night as well start off.

Ingredients:
-celery, about 1 branche
-1 big carrot
-1/2 onion
-200g minced pork
-200g minced beef
-200g minced calf
-olive oil (butter if you want to have a heart attack)
-milk (or wine, to taste)
-salt
-black pepper
-tomato sauce (about 100g i think)
>>
>>8199920
Make my own.

1. Saute the soffrito in olive oil with some garlic until carmelized
2. Add protein and carmelize. (I usually do a beef and pork combo)
3. Add a TBSP or 2 of tomato paste, mix, and carmelize.
4. Add vino, and cook it off.
5. Add beef stock and simmer if going for a straight ragu, or add tomato puree if going for a ragu and tomato sauce.
6. Sometimes I'll add a bit of cream or milk toward the end, but usually I don't to save calories.
7. Season and serve.
>>
>>8199935
Milk and cream? Where's this from?
>>
>>8199935
Chop veggies as small as you can, use a mixer but don't turn that stuff in a puree.
Preheat olive oil in casserole, salute the veggies till onion get to a golden-ish color.
When veggies are done add the meat, and brown it without the LID on, to let it dry. When halfway there season with salt and pepper.
When you have no liquid in the casserole anymore cover the metà with milk or wine. Let simmer until almost dry again.
Then add tomato sauce (plain tomato with just some basil).
Simmer at low heat at least 1hr
>>
>>8199941
We also use milk or wine to tenderise the meat.
>>
>>8199941
Emilia romagna
>>
>>8199963
Oh yeah I've always used wine, just never seen milk before.
>>
>>8199977
Wine gives more of a Kick in flavor, i preferito to use it when using different meats like boar.

With milk the sauce gains a much sweeter taste that combines well with the tomato sauce.
>>
>>8199988
Huh, interesting, will have to try that next time I do one.. The only thing I do is I leave it to rest for a while before serving it.
>>
>>8199995
In Italy ragù is a sauce you use on pasta (regular or oven cooked like lasagna or pasta al forno). We never use it as a dish on it's own.
>>
>>8200001
That's what I meant sorry, before serving it with the pasta I let it rest in the pan with the heat off. I don't often do lasagne because I find difficult to get it how I want it.
>>
>>8200009
Then you are right, the more it waits, the tastier it gets.

Anyway for lasagnas the secret is proportion between ragù and besciamella.
I tend to use a 65-35 beetween the two, otherwise the besciamella flavor cover the whole dish.
>>
File: 3.png (14KB, 209x200px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
14KB, 209x200px
>>8199988
>preferito
>>
>>8200034
Stupid autocorrect uses italian words
>>
>>8199988
I must say I prefer boar roasted, I find when minced it looses some of its, savouryness or something, I dunno it's just not the same.
>>
Here's something that I hope annoys an Italian as much as it annoyed me, I went to an "Italian" restaurant that opened near me to see if it was any good, and ordered as a starter their bresaola salad.

It was fucking pastrami and rocket leaves. I was even asking the owner, is this actually bresaola and he was insistent it was. Said I didn't want main, paid and walked out. Fucking disgraceful.
>>
>>8200058
My rule is no italian restaurants if not in Italy. Get what you want from this...
>>
>>8199920

1/3 celery, 1/3 onion, 1/3 carrot
minced beef
olive oil
salt & black pepper
crushed canned tomatoes (1/2 of the beefs amount)
white wine (acidic)
whole milk

cook vegetables on low heat until translucent
add minced beef and brown well
add a whole bottle of good quality white wine
reduce until very little liquid left
add whole milk so that mince is almost covered
reduce until very little liquid left
add your tomatoes and your salt and pepper, then simmer on a very low heat for 8 hours
adjust seasoning at the end.

Wa'la
>>
File: n.jpg (7KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
n.jpg
7KB, 125x125px
>>8200065
>add a whole bottle of good quality white wine
>>
>>8200083
>He doesnt know about white wine
>>
>>8199920
im just seeing ground meat in tomato sauce
>>
>>8199935
Can i go 300g for minced pork and another 300 for beef if i don't have calf?
>>
File: ..jpg (14KB, 446x299px) Image search: [Google]
..jpg
14KB, 446x299px
>>8200084
>He uses an entire bottle of vino in his ragu
>>
>>8200088
You can add 100g of beef and 100g of fat minced pork (salsiccia).
>>
>>8200085
Elaborate. What do you think ragù is?
>>
>>8200118
Yes that's what I meant. Thanks senpai
>>
Open jar, add to browned beef. Tastes great.
>>
>>8200129
Beware, the 200g pork i said before have to be low fat cut
>>
>>8200180
Wait so, 300g beef and 200g of low fat cut pork and another 100g of fatty cut pork?
Is that what you mean?
The 300g of beef will surely have fat in them too.
>>
>>8200115
>>8200083

It adds a alot of flavor, you should try it!
>>
File: giphy.gif (473KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
473KB, 500x281px
>>8199959
>salute the veggies
>>
>>8199920
just minced beef+pork+lamb if I can get it. Saute the the soffritto then the meat. Slowly cooked and reduced in a mashed tomato and red wine sauce. Pretty basic stuff.
>>
>>8200185
Yep, the doses are exactly as you said. You have to use a muscle from the beef, not a fat cut. We use the part under the ribs. (We call it "cartella"). It has some fat, but not too much.
>>
>>8200215
See
>>8200038
>>
>>8199920
I make my own.
I was always taught to add chicken livers to mine, although I think that's more of a regional Italian thing. (I'm not Italian, this was taught to me by an Italian chef I apprenticed to for a year, also by a German chef, who had studied in Italy, when I apprenticed to him for 2 years).
Last time I made it at home, I use too many chicken livers (because I had too many and didn't want to save them for something else at the time) and so it was a little too strong. But still delicious nonetheless.

>>8199935
I like your recipe, it's pretty close to mine (other than the chicken livers). I usually add both wine and milk (but not at the same time, I deglaze the pan with wine, and let it cook down, and add the milk later)
>>
>>8200058
That's pretty bad.

>>8200062
There are good Italian restaurants outside Italy, but you have to *throw back a lot of fish before you catch a good one for dinner* if you know what I mean. I live in NorCal, and there's tons of Italian restaurants here (lots of Italian immigrants via San Francisco back in the day). And out of probably 20+ Italian restaurants I've tried, we only frequent about 4.
>>
>>8199920
I make spag bol from scratch. Recipe is pretty basic but I like it more than your fancy italian recipes.
>>
>>8200252
That probably was a southern Italy cook.

>>8200255
I know but i tend to experiment while abroad, probably the only place i would try "italian" restaurants would be the USA. Just to see how you guys have interprete the thing.
>>
>>8200256
Fancy? How would a traditional home recipe be fancy?
>>
>>8200238
Thanks. I will make one during the weekend
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.