[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meat-kit services?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: home chef.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
home chef.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
What do you think of meal-kit services like Blue Apron or Home Chef?

I tried Blue Apron for a couple of weeks, and was genuinely impressed with the quality of the ingredients and the recipes. What I didn't like:

- inflexible; one dish a week was seafood, and I don't like seafood
- some ingredients are exotic/proprietary things that aren't easily duplicated
- pressure to cook all perishables before they go bad, and maybe I just feel like takeout one night!
- lots of waste from all the individually packaged items

I don't really mind the cost, but I can't see myself sticking with one of these services for an extended period of time. What do you think?
>>
Seems like it might be worth it if money isn't a problem for you. I've considered it for a while since I live alone and cooking for one can be slightly difficult. Usually end up cooking in bulk and eating the same meal for a week, which can get pretty boring.

Price is the only thing keeping me from trying it out. I'm not strapped for cash but it still seems expensive.
>>
>>8195848

Yeah. I also live alone, and planning all my meals and buying proper quantities of ingredients gets old really fast... but I do think that at least connects me to actual cooking, whereas with these meal kits, it often feels more like mere assembly than cooking.
>>
>>8195841
>- inflexible; one dish a week was seafood, and I don't like seafood
They allow you to pick what meats you like before you order.

I tried a free trial of blue apron and i loved it, all three things i got were great. even though i super fucked up the directions for the pesto for one, the meat and bread on the sandwich it belonged in was still really good, and it made me realize that i love eggplant.

i am, however, a massive poorfag and cannot afford it at all.
>>
Those services are demonstrably for faggots.
>>
>>8195841
I think they're silly.

1) more expensive than shopping for oneself

2) limited flexibility. You're stuck with the recipe they send, rather than what you want to prepare or what looks like the best quality (or deal) at the market

3) I want to choose my own produce, not be stuck with what they happen to send.
>>
Great way to rip off stay at home moms
>>
How much does it cost per portion? Throw some numbers out there before I judge this. Also, whats a typical menu? They don't allow you to select exactly what you like?
Sounds extremely wasteful, but the concept of "just what you need and nothing you don't" is pretty solid. It had better be cheaper than hot take out from a local restaurant for comparable items/portions, or else this is a shitty idea.
Also, is this really like a commitment? Do you need to "sign up", or can you by singles, or a week at a time?
>>
>>8196459
>Great way to rip off stay at home moms
As someone who worked at Whole Foods when I was in college, I think Whole Foods has that market pretty well cornered. I can't believe how women can stay at home all day, and still drive to Whole Foods to pay for pre cooked stuff.
>>
>>8195841
I enjoy shopping for food, putting meals together and cooking them myself. So for me a service like Blue Apron is charging me a premium to take half the fun out of home cooking. But I understand not everyone feels that way.

I know one couple who did Blue Apron for a while. They were both professionals who felt they had time to cook, but not really time to shop and plan meals. They loved it, because the food was good and it was cheaper than going out to eat, which is what they would have done otherwise. Then one of them lost her job, and Blue Apron was more of a luxury than they could afford.

Another couple I know does Fresh Direct. The wife plans out the menu, orders the food and does the cooking. She just feels she doesn't have the time to go out and do the shopping, so she does it online and has it delivered to her. They've been doing thios for years, and are completely satisfied with it. But they do pay a premium for the convenience.
>>
I'm only in this thread to call you a faggot for handwaving an entire category of food, but you know you deserve it
>>
>>8195841
i dont really see why you would use this and not just doing groceryshopping online, most supermarkets deliver nowadays.
you basically pay a lot for someone just to decide what your meal is gonna be
>>
>>8196918
This shit it targeted at bust professionals who aren't scared of the kitchen but don't feel they have the bandwidth to plan meals and shopping ahead of time. working people who would rather spend their weekends going out for brunch than going shopping.
>>
>>8196363

Agreed.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.