[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a knife guide anywhere? Like what brands are good in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 16

File: maxresdefault.jpg (775KB, 3000x2071px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
775KB, 3000x2071px
Is there a knife guide anywhere? Like what brands are good in certain price ranges, or like a flowchart of "What knife should I buy?"

Knife thread
>>
>>8191924

go to reddit /r/kitchenconfidential on the sidebar
>>
>>8191924
Anyone else have to stare at this for a long time before realizing that it wasn't wooden knives on a grey counter?
>>
Would it make more sense to buy a nice knife, or try to sharpen my shitty ones that haven't been maintained in literal decades?
>>
File: 1387127220346.jpg (632KB, 1000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
1387127220346.jpg
632KB, 1000x2250px
it was made by a tripfag so it must be true
>>
File: 1387128395046.jpg (973KB, 1000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1387128395046.jpg
973KB, 1000x3000px
>>
IF CK HAD A FUCKING STICKY THIS WOULDNT BE A CUNTING FUCKIN PROBLEM WOULD IT FUCK
>>
>>8192222
>Checked
Also, what is the best way of boiling water, /ck/?
>>
6" Chef's Knife
3" Paring Knife
6" flexible Boning Knife (Dexter quality)
8" Bread Knife (good for tomatoes)(Dexter quality)

Plus some steak knives if you serve meat to guests or family.
>>
>>8191996
Try and rescue knives you already own. But a decent chef's knife is worth the money.
>>
>>8192258
add heat
>>
>>8191939
Can't unsee. The wooden knives end up looking like a counter when you focus on the gray parts.
>>
File: pro.jpg (120KB, 608x266px) Image search: [Google]
pro.jpg
120KB, 608x266px
>>8191924
If you want my honest opinion, the Zwilling Pro line is one of the best set of knives you can buy and also is incredibly ergonomic. I bought a 7 piece set from them and I cook professionally for a living, the knives hold an edge well, they are beautiful and most importantly they are razor sharp.

They own the brand you posted btw.
>>
>>8192012
Needs more carbon steel rune knives
>>
>>8192012
The fuck is this shit with no German knives?
Japanese knives are designed to be used differently than western. For most people, a western knife will feel more balanced and easier to use.

Op, if your knives cost more than 20 bucks, get em sharpened. If they're any good, you'll be able to keep em sharp for 6 to 12 months with just a honing rod.
>>
>>8192552
Zwilling > all

german steel fucks over any nip steel in a real cooking enviroment

t. german dude working in kitchens for 10 years.
I still have the Zwilling 21cm chefs knife i got when i started as an intern in a big ass 2 star kitchen.
>>
>>8192291
You forgot the salt
>>
>>8192959
Rune is better for quality in a less busy home kitchen where you have time to care for it. German is better for constant bustling and durability.
>>
>>8192552

Best looking German style knife. Although with that extreme curve I think I'd want the 9" to get a little more straight edge.
>>
Since there's a knife thread already, I'll ask here.
How the fuck can I sharpen a ceramic knife?
>>
Any point in owning a Santoku? Those air gap things make it easier to slice vegetables and fruit apparently.
>>
>>8193385
If you already own a knife you like for veggies and fruit theres no point. If you don't its one to consider
>>
>>8193378
Throw it in the trash and buy something better.
>>
Should I sharpen a knife all the way up to a 6000 grit whetstone or just stop at 4000? In what cases does the difference matter?
>>
>>8192552
German here as well and I'm about to buy a new allround and paring knife. Got a shitty WMF knife block (classic line), which works, but I'd like to upgrade a little.
After reading your post I'd have gone with a "Gemüsemesser" and a "Kochmesser" of this line:
https://www.zwilling.com/de/de/series/messer_scheren/zwilling_pro.html
However there's such a huge variety that I'm a little unsure. All I want is a good knife for a fair price. If I have to spend a little more, I'm willing to do so in order to get a significantly better product. I don't really care about something like +-40€ for a long lasting companion.
Until now I was about to go with the the Tojiro Gyuto that is also in that guide >>8192012 , as it has been recommended as well.
Is there any real difference for a hobby cook between the pro series and the more expensive ones?
If somebody could just point me in the right direction I'd be really thankful.
>>
File: thisthread.jpg (9KB, 215x234px) Image search: [Google]
thisthread.jpg
9KB, 215x234px
This shit AGAIN

Ok listen to me you kiddyfiddlers. Ignore everything else, they are morons.

If you need to ask, buy Victorinox. If you need to ask you are not a professional. Get. Victorinox.
They cheap as fuck and in a HOME KITCHEN they are more than good enough, you won't need anything else. Ever.

Here is also something these kitchen weebsamurais do not know: You can sharpen about fucking anything to cut as good as the most expensive piece of blade you can find. Tin can? Sure! That 5$ piece of shit you found somewhere? Fuck yes.
The pricier ones just are capable of holding an edge for longer, which is exceedingly useful in a professional kitchen, that is all.

>>8193378
Diamond sharpener.
>>
i bought mine from here http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/default.html
a santoku knife,
very happy with it after a few years. i bought alo some watter stones for sharpening 800/3000 grit
>>
>>8193820
thats shit. dont give advices on knifes ever
>>
>>8191924
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/equipment-the-best-chefs-knives-gift-guide.html
>>
>>8193820
>>If you need to ask, buy Victorinox. If you need to ask you are not a professional. Get. Victorinox.

Perfect advice.

Well, almost perfect. Other foodservice brands like Dexter-Russel or Bakers and Chefs are the exact same thing at a lower cost.

But yeah, if you have to ask what knife to buy then you're clearly in noob territory and something like the Victorinox is perfect.
>>
File: shopping.jpg (9KB, 403x356px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
9KB, 403x356px
The one and only
>>
>>8193855

If you're going to post a Kramer, why not post a real one and not the Zwilling one with his name on it?
>>
What the fuck do people mean by "workhorse knife"? Like you have a beater knife and a nice knife? What is the point of a nice knife that you only use for easy to cut shit? If it's easy to cut why do I need to use a special sharp knife on it?
>>
>>8194105
There are two different types of chef knifes/gyutos: workhorse and laser. You use a laser for precise cuts like for sushi and garnishes and you use a workhorse for breaking down a bunch of veg.
>>
>>8193830
you are shit
>>
>>8193820
>>8193844
Faggots. You don't need to have qualified at Aintree to know you want a Bugatti. If you can afford it get what you want.
>>
File: takeda.jpg (3KB, 332x152px) Image search: [Google]
takeda.jpg
3KB, 332x152px
a new challenger appears
>>
>>8193807
Anyone? Otherwise I'll just get the pro and be done with it.
>>
>>8192012
Since I wrote that guide, the prices have changed a bit. I've seen the Tojiro as low as $50 on Amazon, which makes it a great value. The Victorinox went up to around $45, which is still pretty affordable.

>>8193807
There are a lot of great makers out there. Tojiro DP is a real bargain, but if you're willing to spend around the $150 price range there are dozens of excellent and unique knives out there.
>>
>>8195224
>There are a lot of great makers out there.
>there are dozens of excellent and unique knives

I think that's exactly my problem. I'm no connoisseur of any kind and just want a tool that actually works. F.e. currently I'm using a serrated table knife to cut stuff like tomatos because my shitty WMF knives just turn them into mush. Cutting (bell) pepper into small slices is completely out of question and virtually impossible, mincing something is a pain in the ass.
I don't know whether it's due to the knives being inherently shit (I didn't pay much attention when I got them about 2 years ago, as I just got into my own home and just needed something to prep food), or because my dumbass gf put them in the dishwasher a couple of times. Never the largest one though and that cuts like shit as well, so I guess it's the knives all along.
I really don't need a "laser", a good, honest workhorse that will last (even if I have to sharpen it/let it sharpen at some point) is all I want and I'm willing to shell out probably more than is necessary. We're finally getting a new stove (old one didn't heat evenly anymore and took forever to get hot) and I want to cook more again, as I gradually cooked fresh less after moving. I'm pretty much willing to pay whatever, to finally have fun in that kitchen again.
>>
Go to an Asian grocery store and buy a kiwi knife for like $5. It's sharp enough for home cooking, and it will last a long time even if you treat it like shit. If it gets messed up go get another one. Only reason to buy anything more expensive is if you are autistic or a professional.
>>
>>8194647
I've used Takeda before, I like the steel and the thinness, but not a fan of the tip and I think kurouchi finishes look like shit, son.
>>
>>8192012
Should really take the hiromoto off since it's no longer being made.

>>8192934
No they aren't you fucking faggot

They aren't optimized for the same technique sure - But there is no reason you can't rock chop with a gyuto or push cut with a wusthof
>>
>>8194505
No. Fuck off you memester.
Buying right tools for the right job is a important fucking lesson that everyone should learn.

Some time ago here was one of the idiots that actually bit into the "supleme japanese kitchen knife, forded one mirrion times!" He had a problem.
After dulling his knife after a few months he decided that the knife needed a sharpening, and lo and behold after trying to, for forty minutes, sharpen his nipponstick with an expensive as fuck sandrock he failed. I can only assume he fucked up the edge even worse.
The point of the story is that buying expensive shit for the sake of them being expensive is useless unless you have any idea what you are doing.

>>8195338
>my shitty WMF knives just turn them into mush
You don't know how to sharpen your knives.
>>
>>8195550
never tried sharpening them, as decent equipment is more expensive than the whole block of six. Of course I could sharpen them, but what do I gain if they can't hold an edge for long?
I bought cheap junk when I got them and I was fine with it back then, as I didn't have money to spare, but I got some to spare now. I doubt that I'd be happier with the WMF set being sharp again (especially not for long), than I'd be with a new decent ~60-100€ knife.
>>
>>8194372
Why not use laser for everything?
>>
>>8191930
kill yourself
>>
File: shun_edge2[1].jpg (59KB, 800x207px) Image search: [Google]
shun_edge2[1].jpg
59KB, 800x207px
i have a nice shun 8" chef knife.
it's awesome, but fuck if i would ever buy it myself (wedding gift)

well, i thought it would be safe in my knife block but alas, my wife has dumb fucking friends
it's pitted all to hell, 4-5 big fucking pits. i don't know what the fuck they tried to cut with it but i can only imagine a chopping motion through frozen bone-in meat...

i've never sharpened/repaired an edge, is it self serviceable or should i find a good service in town? i own no sharpening tools, just a honing steel.

pic not mine, but related.
>>
>>8193526
>>8193385
I haven't been able to find any video demonstrating this, and in my experience it also didn't really make a difference
So I don't really get it
Does anyone have a good demo where it's shown what you need to do for example? Maybe I'm doing it wrong
>>
>>8196002

Because the "laser" is delicate and easy to damage. If you try to use your "laser" to split a lobster or break down bones for stock you're going to ruin it. Not to mention it's light weight makes it ineffective for such jobs.

Your question is a bit like asking why we don't use a straight razor to cut 2x4's on a construction site. It's simply the wrong tool for the job.
>>
>>8196201

All the dimples do is stop the veggies from sticking to the side of the blade when you slice them. If you use the knife in a chopping motion it won't matter.
>>
>>8196215
>slice
I think that's what I was "doing wrong", I was mostly chopping (up down up down) instead of slicing (mostly back and forth)
Gonna try that, thanks anon
>>
>>8196209
Yes, but it seems like chopping veggies would be a good use for it. Why does everyone say the workhorse is for veggies?
>>
>>8196226

Veggie prep is the largest volume job in a pro kitchen. A kitchen goes through a lot more veggies than it does meats.

And, when you are working with meat you are likely to be using more specialized knives.

A "laser" knife is one that is made as thin/sharp as possible at the expense of durability. Using it often means it's going to lose its edge that much faster.
>>
>>8192016

http://zknives.com

I would add this site. I agree with the sticky for the most part except for a couple important things:

- steel type and hardness determines pretty much everything, past that it's weight, shape, etc.
- angle of blade determines sharpness, generally can't get better (lower) than 20 degrees without harder (usually nip) steel
>>
>>8196105
help
>>
>>8196921

Yes, it's self-fixable. But that requires stones, which you don't have. So you have two choices:
1) send it to somewhere to have it fixed
or
2) get some stones and fix it yourself. start with a coarse one until the chips/dings are removed, then switch to finer to get a sharp edge.

Since this wasn't obvious to you, I recommend option number 1.
>>
>>8196936
>Since this wasn't obvious to you
>>8196105
>i've never sharpened/repaired an edge

i have no issue with buying wet stones, i was more looking for info on first time sharpening.

would it be worth it for my one good knife?
does it take a copious amount of time and skill to due properly?
can i fuck it up?

i don't plan on leaving it in the open for dummies to use any longer, so perhaps it would be worth the money to have it professionally repaired this one time.
>>
>>8196964
>would it be worth it for my one good knife?
I'm not sure why you are asking us this question. "is it worth it" is a matter of personal preferance.

In my opinion it's fucktarded to own a knife but not a means to maintain it. I would advocate owning your own stones and knowing how to use them. But depending on how much cooking you do that may or may not be worth it to you.

>does it take a copious amount of time and skill to due properly?
Not in my opinion.

>can i fuck it up?
You can't permanently ruin the knife, but you might do a mediocre job at fixing it.

Ask yourself this question, OP. Not us. You must have a clue as to how mechanically inclined you are and whether or not you have steady hands. If you have no problem working with tools then this is easy. OTOH if you're a klutz then you would probably be better off leaving it to the pros. I have no idea where you fit along that spectrum so it's hard to offer meaningful advice.
>>
>>8193807
Hello my German brother, >>8192552 here again, The Pro-line in my opinion is the sweet spot of performance/style/affordability, the knives above that are also incredibly well made but they are more of a status symbol (read about Bob Kramer, hes the one who makes the really high end knives), as someone who has used pretty much ALL the Zwilling knives, including those Kramer knives and the Miyabi I can say that they are more or less on the same level as far as function is concerned, though the Miyabi can be superior if you are doing cutting that requires a very fine slice, but they dull rather easily over time, not a good day to day knife IMO. I own the "Kochmesser", got it in a 7 piece block set, I haven't used the paring knife you've shown, I rarely use mine and only when I'm peeling apples or taking off the tops of strawberries, IMO its one of the least used knives in the kitchen and can be replaced by a chefs knife and a peeler if you so desire.

The main feature I enjoy with the Pro-line compared to any other knife I've used is the curved bolster, its far more ergonomic than most knives and gives you a comfortable grip when you are cutting.

Lemme know if you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can
>>
>>8196964
The knife shop down the road from me charges 3 bucks sharpen a knife that size.
>>
>>8193820
This is terrible advice, do you work for cuttco or something?
>>
>>8191924
here's a basic one from a pretty cool guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGz_btUoBNs
>>
>>8197024
I bet that guy is grinding those knives using some kind of industrial machine. Not your best option. Ask him how he sharpens.
>>
>>8197019
Thanks a bunch kind anon, helped me a lot.
As I've said at some point, I'm not too ambitious, all I want is to have some fun in the kitchen again and less frustration. So it seems like the Pro is a good choice for me. The curved bolster seems really neat to me as well.

I always liked the paring knives to cut stuff like bellpeppers, but I guess that was due to the chefs knives not being too sharp, making it a pain in the ass to get through the skin. I'll probably just get a chefs knife at first then and decide later whether to get an addition or not.
I'm probably overthinking this, it's just that my current knives make me crazy in every regard and I just want something nice to last me a while and I'm willing to pay more, to get more.
Anyway, if somebody working with it likes it, I'll probably be happy with it too and if at some point I'm unhappy with it, I'll probably know better what's important in a knife to me.
>>
How come nobody ever talks about paring knives? I use them more than any other knife
>>
File: shun sora 6 inch utility vb0701.jpg (51KB, 760x298px) Image search: [Google]
shun sora 6 inch utility vb0701.jpg
51KB, 760x298px
>>8197347
I don't use them much at all, actually. I have this 6 inch 'utility' knife that I use for everything that's too small for my chef's knives and other large knives. It's great at paring tasks and can also be pretty good at boning.
>>
>>8192016
As a skilled woodworker, I have diamond/manmade/natural Japanese stones to work with

I just use a stetite until it needs an edge redone then I use a soft white grinding wheel carefully
>>
File: IMG_6970 (Custom).jpg (762KB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6970 (Custom).jpg
762KB, 2500x1667px
>>8192271
If you ever cook squash/turnips/cabbage, you need a bigger knife than a 6"

Stabbed my own palm with a bread knife using it to half a squash

never again

I now use a bunch of Sabatiers from Lee Valley

Got my first from them from old stock they got and sold in their early Christmas catalogue

I still have that old catalogue, so many knives I should have gotten but was a poorfag back then
>>
>>8193777
nice tri 7's

virtually none.

You aren't planing wood with it, you're cutting food in two
>>
>>8195338
Cutting vegetable like peppers means the edge you have should have 'tooth" to it: a fine serration left by the stone etc.

This "tooth" means it won't slide alone the skin of stuff like peppers, eggplant etc
>>
>>8197347
My mom also does this. She barely ever touches a knife thats longer than like 3 inches. Shes not even a bad cook and adapted her techniques to it but ever since i worked with a proper chefs knife i can not wrap my head around the reasons you would ever dice an onion with a pairing knife for example
>>
>>8196964
I bought my first nice knife like a year ago and used my waterstone (1000/3000) for the first time last week. I was also worried about fucking up and decided to start on a shit ass knife but moved on after wasting like 10 minutes on it.
Just try it out, its just sharpening. As long as you dont drop your knife to the floor the only bad thing that could happen is a bad angle. This can be corrected later.
Buy a combination stone, watch a tutorial or two, i recommend the one from that old asian Mr. Global fellow. Then just go for it and look up things you forgot as you go.
The most important part i took from the instruction is listening to the sound your knife makes while being grinded. If the sounds consistant, your works consistant. And having no option to turn on music or the TV makes it a zen like hobby for 30 minutes
>>
>>8191996
i think both actions are worth your time and money. if you can get your existing knives sharp again, then you'll have the skills needed to maintain a whole set of nice knives.

>Step 1: teach yourself how to sharpen knives by starting with your existing set
>Step 2: enjoy your old, sharp knives
>Step 3: buy new, nice knife that really tickles your cooking pickle
>Step 4: ?????
>Step 5: Profit.
>>
>>8192222
rage quads checked
>>
File: 1391559127276.png (23KB, 726x448px) Image search: [Google]
1391559127276.png
23KB, 726x448px
>>
>>8192552
Can confirm, these knives are zwilling/10
t. college student whose dad owns a set of zwilling-knives
>>
>>8193869
remember when Kramer was a turkey?
>>
File: gamer.jpg (77KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
gamer.jpg
77KB, 550x413px
This whole thread is full of personal opinion, outright faggotry and ignorance.
Collectively /ck/ knows absolutely fuck all about food or cooking.
You guys need this board splitting and you definitely need a sticky because the majority of you are fucking retards.
Now that you've read this why not fuck off and post some McDonald's threads or maybe indulge in a little YouTube "celebrity" worship?
/ck/, dumbest cunts on 4Chan.
>>
File: 1rritant.jpg (22KB, 265x300px) Image search: [Google]
1rritant.jpg
22KB, 265x300px
>>8193820
Get a load of this fucking shit-stain!
>>
>>8199760
That's way too accurate, really.
But I still think, although it's pretty hard, it's possible to filter out some voices of reason from now and then.
>>
>>8191924
I use Mercer because they work and they're NSF. I work in a kitchen supervised by the actual medical health department for the state so we have a lot less leeway with using different types . But these knives are pretty solid.
>>
>>8199813
amen
>>
How about learning good knife skills on yourself?
>>
>ordered tojiro 18cm chef's knife
>anticipation intensifies
Also got a stone leveller because in my noobness I didn't get one wheni got my whetstones and then I ended up with a sort of unequal blade due to slight dip in the stones >_>

I'm still somewhat shit at sharpening tho
>>
>>8191924
How about I guide my knife up your ass
>>
- cheap large steel knife
- cheap large serrated knife
- cheap medium ceramic knife
- cheap steel cleaver

All you need. About $30 total.
>>
File: 20151010_e1ffb7.jpg (17KB, 800x550px) Image search: [Google]
20151010_e1ffb7.jpg
17KB, 800x550px
I must be fucking blind because I couldn't see a knife thread. Anyway thanks to that anon.

Looking at getting a Gyuto. I hear in the past that Moritaka Hamono knives had overgrind issues and develop an accordion edge when sharpened. Anyone know if the problem is still there in 2016?
>>
>>8191939
No, it was just you. Go see a doctor.
>>
I finally decided to order pic related
now about sharpening/honing, I got a stone I don't know the grit of so I learned how to hone knives decently
now I'd like to get more stones that I know the grits
can I get chink ones, like those marked ADAEE from aliexpress or similar, or is it worth it to spend on a moon whetstone/waterstone and if that's the case why?
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.