[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you sharpen a serrated edge knife the same way you would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: tomato-knife.jpg (76KB, 500x230px) Image search: [Google]
tomato-knife.jpg
76KB, 500x230px
Can you sharpen a serrated edge knife the same way you would a regular knife, i.e. sharpening steel and the occasional whetstone?

Will the serrations wear out over time?
>>
>>8186385
I do this with my bread saw once in a while and it's fine.

Also, if you use a serrated knife for tomatoes, either your sharpening skills are shit, your knife skills are shit, or both.
>>
>>8186393
>if you use a serrated knife for tomatoes
that was just the image name, I don't go out of my way to use one, but they do work really well with tomatoes though
>>
File: serrated sharpener.jpg (83KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
serrated sharpener.jpg
83KB, 1200x800px
>>8186385
>, i.e. sharpening steel and the occasional whetstone?

In order to sharpen a serrated blade you need to use a tool that has a radius smaller than the radius of the serrations otherwise you will only wear away the tips of the serration.

A stone is flat so that's right out. A steel or rod could work but that depends highly on the blade in question. If the knife has relatively large "scallops" in its serration then the steel might work. (I can confirm they work on the Victorinox). If the serrations are finer then you need a sharpening rod with a smaller diameter, like pic related. If the serrations are really fine, like the OP photo, it's more hassle to sharpen than it's worth. Toss it out and get a new knife.
>>
I'm a chef who's done a knife sharpening class at a local very well renowned Knife store specializing in Japanese knives.

You can sharpen a bread knife on stones like a regular knife, but you'll just sharpen the serrations off and end up with some weird shaped hybrid thing. As a serrated bread knife you're better off buying cheaper and using them as throwaways. Not worth the trouble to sharpen them.

What I was told anyway. Some of the guys at work swear by those shitty Victorinox bread knives that they've sharpened down. Use them for all kinds of utility shit, especially carving meat. Never seen the point personally.
>>
Just sharpen it with another serrated knife?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.