[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cast Iron

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 81j2ShLxooL._SL1500_.jpg (145KB, 1500x727px) Image search: [Google]
81j2ShLxooL._SL1500_.jpg
145KB, 1500x727px
I've had a cast iron pan for about 3 years, and about 6 months ago I stupidly used a metal knife to cut a pie I'd made while it was still in the pan. This made a deep scratch in the surface - I thought by keeping using it as normal the oils would "fill" the scratch but instead the seasoning chipped away little by little leaving horrible pits in my pan. I've decided to bite the bullet, strip it smooth and reseason it, but I'm having a lot of trouble scrubbing off the layers that have built up over the years.

I soaked it in hot soapy water and have been scrubbing it with steel wool for the past 15 minutes but I'm a weak ass bitch and all I'm doing is making the pits slightly bigger. It isn't rusty and the undamaged parts are resilient as fuck. Is there anything I can use to speed this process up?
>>
just fill it with water and boil it

use actual sandpaper to even out the scratch, wouldn't hurt to just smooth out the whole bottom either
>>
>>8181031

>other stuff
>orbital sander
This, except you just need a detail head for the sander and you're golden. If you want a really good finish you can use a soft head and polishing powder. Get a good polish on the inside and it'll season faster and smoother; it's why antique pans are usually better. Nothing to do with 'gramma's pan', it's just that when they were cast in sand and cleaned by hand they were much more smoothly polished than modern cast-iron pans.
>>
>>8181031
>miter saw
the fuck? why would anyone need one of these near their pan?
>>
I would just sand the fuck out of it with increasing grit
>>
>>8181115
Mortal Jihad
Aksha Arts
Hell Thrust
Smile Charge
Charge

go curazy
>>
Put it in a self cleaning oven. If you don't have one unleash your inner pyromaniac and put it in a bonfire
>>
>>8182836
These both work.

What I would suggest next time is taking some crisco, and just lightly going over the inner cooking surface and heating it for a while. "Stripping and reasoning" for something like that is kind of silly and a pain in the ass.

Self cleaning oven is the only way that works 100 percent of the time, although if you have something that can take the heat, I recommend you put it underneath the skillet. It made my oven fucking filthy.
>>
Wait a second...

does that mean you people dont clean cast iron pans? you just keep all the old residue and such in the pan?

isnt that fucking disgusting?
>>
>>8183727
Either bait or full retard. Place your bets, gentlemen.
>>
>>8183732
dude i dont visit /ck/ usually. just tell me, im honestly intrested
>>
>>8183736
They're talking about the seasoning of a cast iron skillet. When you buy a (real) cast iron, it doesn't have a non-stick coating on it. By treating it correctly, and cleaning it properly after each use, it builds up a natural non-stick coating that gets stronger and shinier every time you use it.
>>
>>8183745
that makes sense. how do you treat it to get that coating?
>>
>>8183736

"Seasoning" on an iron (or steel) pan is a rock-hard nonstick coating created by polymerizing oil/fat. If done correctly it has no smell or flavor and cannot be removed from the pan with anything short of serious abrasives or very high heat (like an oven's self-cleaning mode).

That's not the same thing as leaving nasty food residue in your pan.
>>
>>8183755
There's plenty of resources out there for learning about it. Just google that shit friend. Here's a small article I found
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/cooking-tips-techniques/preparation/cleaning-seasoning-cast-iron-skillet
>>
File: Steinadler 1.jpg (686KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Steinadler 1.jpg
686KB, 1920x1080px
>>8183756
>>8183762
thanks for that, guys

good board
>>
>>8181001

>he fell for the cast iron meme
>>
I just recently started using a cast iron skillet and I have a question that maybe some of you could help me with.

Instead fo using oil to coat the pan can I use the leftover bacon grease/fat as a lubricant? Will it help season that pan as well as regular oil?
>>
>>8183809
Yes, any food-safe oil or fat will work to season a pan, and for cooking on the pan. Vegetable oil, beef tallow, lard, bacon grease, peanut oil, canola oil, etc... All of them work.

It's very common advice to cook fatty foods in a new CI pan to help build up the seasoning. Bacon is a classic choice for this.
>>
>>8181001
soak it in vinegar and let it sit

vinegar is an acid it'll strip the coating off
>>
>>8183835
Thanks for the info!
>>
File: VZM.IMG_20160806_162632.jpg (55KB, 1019x1019px) Image search: [Google]
VZM.IMG_20160806_162632.jpg
55KB, 1019x1019px
>>8183782
Welcome to cooking
>>
>>8181031
Sanding I get, but what the hell is a miter saw supposed to do. Unless you put a sanding wheel on it or something but those don't exist as far as I'm aware, plus that would just do the same thing as a belt sander so what's the point.
>>
Oven cleaner, but you'll need to let it soak afterwards.
>>
>>8181001

Do what I do at least once a year, put it on your shitty electric range and put it on medium and fuck off for fifteen minutes waiting for it to get ready and actually just go fall asleep

By the morning it'll be perfectly grey and clean with dozens of little soot balls beaded up in it (don't touch, pan will be hot)
>>
>>8181001
Look into how to use oven cleaner to strip it OP.
>>
Oven cleaner really is the best way. Spray it on, let it soak and then scrub it off. Do it outside or in a ventilated area. If there's a scratch in the pan you can use sandpaper of various grits to buff it out. Then you're going to want to re-season it with some kind of foodsafe oil, supposedly flaxseed is the best. Preheat your oven to like 350 and leave the pain in for a bit to warm it up, oil your pan up then wipe it down with something so there's just a fine layer of oil left, then throw it back into the oven at the highest heat for a couple hours. Repeat until you get a nice surface/get sick of having your oven running for 6 hours.
>>
>>8185601
Sprayed it full of oven cleaner. Gonna try that in about half an hour and put it through the oven's self-cleaning run if that fails, then smooth it off with some sandpaper.
>>
>>8185601
He is right. Cover in oven cleaner or lye if you can find it. Put in a trash bag. Toe it closed. Leave it in a hot/sunny location. Wait 48 hrs. Then check if its fully stripped, if it isnt repeat process. Then wash and dry immediately. Begin seasoning process.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.