[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I get your best beef stew recipes /ck/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

Can I get your best beef stew recipes /ck/
>>
>>8180937
Cube chuck, s&p, either dust with flour or continue on; brown chuck in Dutch oven (do this in batches, don't over crowd) develop a nice fond, remove, brown ~2 cups onion, create a space in the middle of the Dutch oven, add ~2 tblsp tomatoe paste, allow to caramelize, stir it up, deglaze with ~ 1 cup beef broth, scraping up the stuff on the bottom, reduce. Return beef and add a bottle of Red Zinfandel or Bordeaux. Simmer. In a separate small pan gently sauté ~6 whole slightly smashed cloves of garlic until golden, add butter and cloves to pot. Add thyme (rubbed between palms if dried). Peel Yukon gold taters & carrots (parsnips are nice too) steam, reserve. When meat is finished (fork tender), remove meat and strain sauce into a sauce pan (you should have a couple of cups), make a mixture of 1 tbsp flour : 1 tbsp butter (beurre manie) and bring the pan to a simmer while rapidlywhisking in the beurre manie, this will thicken and enrich the sauce; if you used the flour at the beginning, omit this step (though I think this tastes better). Return meat to pot, add steamed roots, sauce, add frozen pearl onions, simmer on low until warmed through.
>>
>>8181017
/thread, honestly a perfect recipe

Only I would personally add thyme for the final ten or so minutes so it's fresh-tasting.
>>
Fingerling potatoes, pearl onions, mushrooms, and carrots are all my staple veggies for beef stew. Also when the stock starts to get warm, I like to take out a cup or so and whisk in a few tablespoons of flour or cornstarch, gives it a thicker and richer consistency when the whole pot is done.
>>
>>8181017
That siunds very similar to my stew recipe as well anon! I usually use oxtail for the meat and add a couple of tablespoons of mushroom ketcup.
>>
>>8181022

So, you put an entire bottle of unreduced wine into a stew and then simmer the meat in it?
>>
>>8181078
Yeah I've never been a fan of that, 1/2 cup for a whole pot is more than enough. When you throw a whole bottle in there the wine overpowers everything.
>>
File: 5uI3Q8.jpg (194KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
5uI3Q8.jpg
194KB, 1280x960px
It's not beef stew but beef meatball stew aka Mexican Albondigas aka my dinner today and simply the best recipe against a hangover.
>>
>>8181228
Def going to make this. Have a preferred recipe?
>>
>>8181228
>best recipe against a hangover

I thought in mexican cuisine Menudo was the best hangover cure.
>>
All the usual stuff but add a few curls of orange zest as well
>>
>>8181371
you are correct, other anons is phag
he probably can't stomach menudo.

however a good beef caldo is a superior food.
>>
>>8181066
hello james townsend and sons
>>
>>8181095
I usually use about half the bottle so I still have something to drink.
>>
Barley in beef stew: pleb or patrician?
>>
>>8183811
It's certainly pleb, but so is stew by its very nature. OTH, when done right, it gets raised to patrician status. That's the subtle beauty of a stew, in fact almost all cuisine: from laksa to bouillabaisse. To your question: a beef and barely made with Trappist ale and pearl onions is a thing to behold. Posted the above stew recipe, may make beef & barely over the weekend, will post results.
>>
>>8183906
>Posted the above stew recipe, may make beef & barely over the weekend, will post results.
Please do, I'm curious to hear about the results.
>>
Stock directions:

Beef knee, quartered, 1kg/2lbs
Water, 2L/2Q

If desired, roast the knee quarters; this can increase the flavour and darken the stock, but will also lessen its unctuous consistency.

Method 1)
Place the knee quarters and water into a pot and set to high heat.
When bubbles start coming to the surface, reduce heat to maintain a bare simmer.
Cook, skimming scum as it forms, until liquid volume is reduced by half, then strain and allow to cool.

Method 2)
Halve the amount of water used; place the knee quarters and water into a pressure cook and cook for 30-45 minutes then allow to depressurise on its own.
Strain and allow stock to cool.
>>
>>8184816
Stew ingredients plus half of the directions:

Tallow or other pure cooking fat (not butter), 70ml/4 heaping tbsp
Any stewing cut of beef, cut into bite-size, 500g/1lb
Onion, minced, 1 medium/medium-large
Salt, as needed
Beer or red wine, 250ml/1 cup
Flour, 60g/half cup
Potato, peeled, cut and par-boiled, 400g/14oz
Carrot, peeled, cut and par-boiled, 200g/7oz
Pearl onion, 200g/7oz
Peas, 200g/7oz

Heat the tallow in a stew pot and add the beef.
>do NOT use a nonstick pot or pan for this
Cook, searing each side of each piece to a nice brown, then remove to a bowl, keeping the tallow in the pot.
Add the minced onions and salt generously.
Cook, stirring often, until the onions get a bit of colour, then add a third of the beer.
Reduce beer back out and cook, stirring often, until the onions start to blond, then add half the remaining beer.
Reduce beer back out and cook, stirring often, until the onions start to brown, then add all the remaining beer.
Reduce beer back out, up heat to high and add flour.
Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden utencil until the flour/onion paste is hair lighter than the colour of milk chocolate.
Add the strained stock, whisking to dissolve the flour paste and distribute evenly throughout.
Re-add the beef and bring to the boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
Add potato and carrot and cook until just under desired doneness.
Add pearl onions and cook until just under desired doneness.
Add peas and off the heat.
Serve up and serve with crusty bread. Makes 4-5 portions.
Heat the tallow in a stew pot and add the beef.
>do NOT use a nonstick pot or pan for this
>>
>>8183906
What ale do you use? I was wanting to make a fruit sauce with rochefort for Christmas.
>>
>>8184826
>>8184816

Other half of the stew directions:

Cook, searing each side of each piece to a nice brown, then remove to a bowl, keeping the tallow in the pot.
Add the minced onions and salt generously.
Cook, stirring often, until the onions get a bit of colour, then add a third of the beer.
Reduce beer back out and cook, stirring often, until the onions start to blond, then add half the remaining beer.
Reduce beer back out and cook, stirring often, until the onions start to brown, then add all the remaining beer.
Reduce beer back out, up heat to high and add flour.
Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden utencil until the flour/onion paste is hair lighter than the colour of milk chocolate.
Add the strained stock, whisking to dissolve the flour paste and distribute evenly throughout.
Re-add the beef and bring to the boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
Add potato and carrot and cook until just under desired doneness.
Add pearl onions and cook until just under desired doneness.
Add peas and off the heat.
Bowl up and serve with crusty bread. Makes 4-5 portions.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.