[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fresh tomato sauce

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10

File: tomato-sauce.jpg (39KB, 590x393px) Image search: [Google]
tomato-sauce.jpg
39KB, 590x393px
Making some fresh tomato sauce today. Got the tomatoes peeled, seeds out, in with white onion, garlic, fresh basil and oregano, about a teaspoon of kosher salt and half a tsp of black pepper.

It's about halfway down reducing, and I just took a taste. It's bland as fuck. I'll wait until reduced fully and try again, but I'm worried I can't cook in any good flavors then.

Wat do /ck/?
>>
Black pepper, half teaspoon of chilli or cayenne pepper. Or soy sauce or Worcester sauce. Easy mode: salt.
>>
>>8179194
One word: ANCHOVIES

They are essential to my tomato sauce, and one reason why everyone loves it. All my friends started using anchovies in theirs after tasting mine. It adds such depth of flavor. It's a common ingredient in lots of people's tomato sauces.
But, they need to be chopped and added at the beginning when you're sautéing your onions, so they have a chance to melt down and cook properly.
>>
Lol bruh there's a reason nobody makes tomato sauce. It tastes the same as buying canned and adding spices except more expensive. The only time is if you're going for a chunky texture like in authentic italian
>>
>>8179194
What kind of tomato?
If you used the correct kind (plum types) then you fucked up by throwing out the seeds. The seeds, or rather that gelatinous part that surrounds them is where a lot of the flavour comes from. If you're not using a plum-type tomato then you already fucked up. Also why are you using white onion if you're cooking it? You use yellow/brown onions for cooking the white/purple varieties are for eaten raw.
>>
>>8179252
You are a fucking plebian moron.
>>
>>8179244
I use anchovies for pizza sauce, I was going for a generic tomato sauce. Maybe I'll reduce down to more paste at this point, cook up some more stuff, add the paste.

>>8179252
I had low grade tomatoes from my garden and I had to use them. I've never made fresh sauce before, always with canned plum tomatoes, figured I'd give it a shot.

>>8179253
I had a few plum tomatoes, but also had a good deal of smaller ripe garden tomatoes that I couldn't use in something else. And I wanted white onions for the texture, they're diced super fine. I probably should have added in some yellows too.
>>
>>8179244
This is definitely a good suggestion.

Also, most fresh garden tomatoes have a lot of water in them. You're going to have to let it simmer for a good while. Don't add basil until the very end; the flavor cooks out very quickly. Try some thyme when you add the garlic. It gives it a bit of a kick.
>>
>>8179253
No, no, no.
White onions have such a better flavor when cooked down. Yellow onions are more sweet and bland, and are better used fresh. Red onions can be used both ways.
>>
>>8179194
Don't listen to the idiots telling you to add X and Y Strongly flavoured ingredients. If you do that you are no longer making tomato sauce, you're making some other random crap.

If it's bland, you might not have fried the tomatoes/onion enough. I normally cook the tomatoes with the skin on to caramelise them, then blend them down later to make the sauce, seeds should stay in. Also a lack of salt will make everything taste bland. Wait until it's reduced then add a little more.
>>
>>8179287
GET OUT, MARIE. YOU DON'T BELONG HERE.
>>
>>8179287
It's reduced now, the flavor is a little better. I think I'm going to leave it like it is and store it, use it as a base to make different sauces.

It's about the consistency of a spaghetti sauce about now.
>>
tomato paste will usually fix it but you have to cook it first or it can taste a bit metallic.
>>
>>8179194

Add more oregano, basil, etc.

Tomato sauce by itself, unless cooked for a fucking long time is bland. If you're not tasting anything add more herbs.
>>
>>8179287
Yes I'm sorry I'm one of the idiots

I guess I like stuff that tastes good but you're obviously trying to recreate the authentic bland food that a poor Italian eats because he only has tomatoes and pasta
>>
Season with salt and pepper to taste, I would guess it probably needs more salt. Also be sure to add some sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes, you shouldn't need more than a 1/4 of a cup
>>
>>8179194
>tomato sauce
which of the dozen kinds are you referring to?
american tomato ketchup, some kind of chutney, italian passata, tomato napoli sauce?

I grow tomatos around my weed, so I make tomato sauces seasonally
>>
File: midget.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
midget.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>8179219
>chilli or cayenne pepper
>>
>>8179252
>chunky texture like in authentic italian
>>
>>8181069
Stop forcing this midget meme
>>
I usually do the exact thing as you OP.

But I add 1 small ingredient: tomato paste.
Just 1 can per every 1kg tomatoes. Tastes good
>>
>>8179244
Girlfriend is allergic. Any good substitutes? Not necessarily vegetarian substitutes, since she can eat meat just fine.
>>
>>8181069
>midget.jpg
>>
>>8179194
>about a teaspoon of kosher salt

Won't do shit.

This is where you're going to have to learn how to "season to taste".

Start using a tsp at a time, in this order, and keep adding a tsp of the following until you can lightly taste it in your sauce:

basil
oregano
salt

Once you can detect the flavors, continue to simmer down your sauce until you get the right consistency, the flavors will be a little stronger as it gets thicker, and you can then make a final adjustment at the end. Regardless, you've got to let your taste buds be your guide when it comes to seasoning.
>>
And now a italian dude teach you how to make a fucking perfect tomato souce:
1- Go to the market and buy some fresh tomato(san marzano)
2-Cut in half, remove them the seeds, and peeled
3-Get chopped tomatoes and put them in a pot with a little 'of water, you see how much. and mix everything several times
4-When the tomato will limp and mushy put them in a separate pan and use the minipiner after put what you've got in a pot with:
- A whole white onion
- Some alloro leaves
-Some Cloves garlic (depends on how many tomatoes you used)
- Some basil leaves
-salt (The right)
and hold over the heat until the tomato sauce does not get the desired consistency.
Remove onion and alloro leaf, and mamma mia buonissimo is finish.

Sry for english, i used google translate.
>>
>>8183923
This is the simplest and least sophisticated way, there are a thousand other ways to do it, if you are interested ask.
>>
>>8183923
gtfo here guido
we're only interested in MEME sauces here
>>
File: images-1.jpg (6KB, 310x163px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
6KB, 310x163px
>>8183941
T'accido chella granda zompapereta e mammeta.
>>
>>8183709
She's allergic to all fish? Sub a bit of soy sauce or a tiny bit of msg.
>>
>>8183709
Bouillon or msg like the other anon said.
>>
>>8184003
Ravioli ravioli give me the formuoli
>>
>>8179194
One word: yourtomatoesarenotgood
>>
File: 1476108501507.jpg (161KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1476108501507.jpg
161KB, 900x900px
>>8179244
>tainting tomato sauce with more umami and specifically with MEMEFISH
>>
First of all, oregano has no place whatsoever in tomato sauce.

The only ingredients you need to make tomato sauce are tomatoes (canned or passata are fine), diced cooking onion, lots of fresh basil leaves, olive oil and kosher salt.

It's imperative to saute the onion in a decent amount of olive oil until the oniona go clear and fragrant, then turn down the heat, add the tomato, add a LOT of basil, add a little salt, and simmer while stirring regularly until it tastes like tomato sauce.

Don't add too much salt too early because the volume will reduce by a LOT in the simmering process.

If the sauce comes out tasteless using this recipe it's because you used garbage tasteless tomatoes.

In many cases you would be better off getting passata made in Italy over fresh tomatoes in the grocery store because most supermarket fruits and vegetables in North America are utterly tasteless.
>>
File: OPBumdriller.jpg (96KB, 600x537px) Image search: [Google]
OPBumdriller.jpg
96KB, 600x537px
>Kosher salt

Fuck off, you meme.
>>

Sorry, iodized salt tastes like shit.
>>
>>8184468
I would no more use iodized salt for cooking than I would urine. The only thing iodized salt is good for is killing slugs - it melts them. Kosher or sea salt the only acceptable salt, goiterboy.
>>
>>8179194
That's a nice looking 'za you have there OP
>>
>>8184365
>If the sauce comes out tasteless using this recipe it's because you used garbage tasteless tomatoes
Not really true in my experience.
I've used the shittiest whole canned tomatoes available and after 7-8 hours cooking the sauce tastes decent and relatively flavourful.
>>
>>8179194
Chicken stock with plenty of msg. That'll do it. Fuck basil or sage or some meme herb.
>>
File: mildred_pierce01.jpg (414KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mildred_pierce01.jpg
414KB, 1600x1200px
Is there something i'm missing here

Why are you simmering fresh basil for ages and why is everyone ignoring this

The basil is kill
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-13-12-03-27.png (118KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-13-12-03-27.png
118KB, 540x960px
>>
>>8186436
thought I was the only one wondering this
>>
>>8186436

Because the goal is to infuse the tomatoes with the flavor of basil, not to preserve the life of the basil leaves.
>>
>>8179194
You have already failed. Why use fresh tomatoes in the first place? You get much better results from canned tomatoes. You specifically want to use Contadina tomato sauce - and make sure to get Contadina sauce, not puree and not crushed, it's tomato sauce. Besides that you just need some basil, onion, garlic (make sure to wash both of these), onion powder, garlic powder and canola oil. Actually you can use whatever cooking oil you want, as long as it's either canola or vegetable oil and not olive oil.

You also make the mistake of adding the basil directly into the sauce. You need to fry the basil in the canola oil until it's brown and crispy, then add it to the sauce with the oil. Make sure to use at least 1.5 cups of canola oil for every 4 cans of sauce because it is the oil that gives it the flavor.
>>
>>8186571
>Frying basil

George_Costanza_face.jpg
>>
File: bellisimo.jpg (19KB, 338x288px) Image search: [Google]
bellisimo.jpg
19KB, 338x288px
>>8186571
>>
>>8179194
>I just took a taste. It's bland as fuck

This was always the case for me, for a long time. The thing that turned it around was red wine vinegar.
>>
>>8186514
Except that doesn't happen. Fresh basil goes in at the end, after the heat is turned OFF. There's enough heat held within the sauce. If you put fresh basil in the beginning, you will taste none of it. So actually, it is about preserving the "life" (flavor) of the basil leaves.
>>
>>8186650
>Briefly immersing tea leaves in tepid water extracts more flavor from them into the water than steeping them for an extended period in hot water would.

(You)
>>
File: IMG_20161015_112226.jpg (631KB, 1000x1178px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161015_112226.jpg
631KB, 1000x1178px
>>8179194

>using spices and herbs
>not just making tomato, onion, and butter sauce
>>
>>8179194
You forgot the carrot and the bouquet garni. Also let it caramelize, but be careful to not burn it.
>>
File: 1420174643122.jpg (104KB, 514x680px) Image search: [Google]
1420174643122.jpg
104KB, 514x680px
>>8186686
Many of the aromas of basil are highly sensitive to heat and will be destroyed if you add them to a sauce that's too hot, or if you keep them heated for a long time. Other aromas are highly volatile and will simply evaporate off the longer you keep the mixture hot. You don't make tea by boiling your tea leaves at a rolling boil for 30 minutes, do you? Doing so may extract more flavor in the sense that it results in a higher proportion of total dissolved solids in the infusion than steeping for a shorter time, but the result would obviously be bitter and terrible, because you've over-extracted most of the harsh flavors and destroyed most of the delicate and desireable ones.

You don't make a good infusion of anything, be it tea, coffee or herbs in cooking, by just focusing on getting maximum extraction. If you've ever made the mistake of adding your herbs to a beef stock at the beginning or the simmer, you may have noticed that after 12+ hours of simmering there's hardly any flavor left from the thyme and bay leaf other than a faint bitterness.
>>
Red wine and some sort of stock. I usually do a cup of chicken and a cup of beef. Also garlic powder and minced dry onions.
>>
>>8187304
>Sodium: 100009% RDA
>>
>>8187304
>garlic powder

Utter, and complete, neckbeard plebe.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.