[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

qualiy curries

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

A lot of these South Asian curry dishes that I've had in the region and in Asian restaurants have this effect of an orange simmer of oil around the curry, pic related. Any time I've had a dish with this effect it's always tasted better, and it's an effect I can't make happen when I try to make my own dishes.

Does anybody know what causes this or how to make it occur? Is it a phenomenon of a particular cooking style or is it in the ingredients?
>>
>>8166835
It's ghee.
>>
File: 04.jpg (185KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
04.jpg
185KB, 750x1000px
>>8166837
>ghee
>in rendang
I'm sure OP appreciates you trying to help, but that's not how to make rendang.

>>8166835
You're doing one of two things either
a) you're using the right ingredients but are cooking it wrong or
b) you're using coconut milk in place of coconut cream

Coconut cream is /at least/ 15% fat by weight, Higher is better and rendang tends to use higher fat coconut cream.
Go to an Asian supermarket and compare the cans and/or cartons of coconut milk. Pic related is the one I use. Look at the nutrition label. If you live anywhere other than North America, the nutrition label will likely provide information per 100g of product, so just choose the one with the highest fat.
If you are in NA, you'll have to do some maths: divide the number next to "grams of fat per serving" by the one next to "serving size," which will be in both oz or fl oz as well as g or ml. You're going to be using the g/ml number.

Say that the fat number is 9 and the serving size number is 56, then 9 รท 56 = 0.16something. This means this particular coconut milk is 16% fat by weight.

Now, to separate the cream out, pour the can into a container and fridge it overnight. The cream and coconut solids will rise to the top, the coconut solids dispersed throughout. The water will be at the bottom. The fat will have solidified, due to the cold in the fridge and can be removed by hand, leaving the water behind.

Make your rempah, cook it in the coconut cream until the cream "breaks" (that's when the fat and solids separate, leaving lots of fat globules floating about), add the beef (brisket or shortrib is best here), cook until coloured but not cooked through then fill with coconut milk.
Bring to the boil then slow cook until most of the liquid has reduced out, leaving a thick sauce of coconut solids, coconut oil and spices behind.
>>
>>8166835
They don't skimp on the cooking fat, and use fatty cuts of meat cooked for a long time. There will be excess fat in the sauce. Some asian chefs claim this helps "transmit" the flavour better, i would agree personally.
>>
File: 05.jpg (149KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
149KB, 1000x750px
>>8166972
For reference, here's the coconut cream freshly emptied into a pan with a rempah.
>>
File: 07.jpg (412KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
07.jpg
412KB, 1000x750px
>>8166979
And here's the same coconut cream (and rempah) once it's broken. Note all the coloured pools of oil.
Hope this helps.

>>8166978
Not quite. See above.
>>
happens with my indian curries all the time yo

use various oils/ghee and generally fatty cuts of meat. not to mention if i use red spices a lot.

other cuts of meat have yellowy oil i find, not too fatty
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.