[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I save money? I am student.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2756.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2756.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
How can I save money? I am student.
>>
>>8166037
don't buy stupid shit
>>
>>8166037
bulk
sales
avoid packaged goods
>>
>>8166037
put it in your bank account. don't take it out.
>>
File: download (6).jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>8166037
>>8166056
This. I don't know whether this counts for your country (which is?), but here in the Netherlands you can buy 20kg bags of rice at the Asian supermarket for next to nothing and you can have staple food for the rest of the year. Also, pasta. You can even make it yourself if you do the one-time investment of a pasta machine, after which you'll eat premium quality basically for free (flour and eggs are dirt cheap and this is all you'll need), you can make a shit ton and dry it, after which you can keep it for weeks if not months in a closed jar. The rice you cab use to make nasi goreng, which is easy and cheap as fuck to make. Go to the Asian supermarket for spices, as they will cost 90% less and I'm not eveb exaggerating. Pasta: buy Euro Shopper tier mashed tomatos/pomodoro, put in some 1/2-1/2 ground meat (which is like €3/kg or something), chopped onions, garlic and some spices/herbs and you've got quite the pasta for way under the €1/pp. If they sell those whole basil plants in pot: re-pot it to a significantly larger pot (20cm diameter) and put that pot (which should have a hole in the bottom) in a shallow bowl with water. Refill water when it's gone. Free fresh basil forever, yours for less than €2 and this will make any Italian dish taste a lot more 'Italian' than dried basil wil ever be able to. Maybe I have some more tips if you're interested
>>
>>8166037

I spent all my money on beer and cigs when I was in college. Do you smoke/ drink?
>>
Foodjew here. I'm extremely frugal and fucking hate spending money.

Here's a cheap meal I'll be having later today, actually: smoked sausage with carrot-and-potato mash and sides of sautéed beetroot as well as green cabbage dressed with bacon.

Each full plate will cost me only $1.20 to cobble together.

The way to eat cheaply is to learn to identify really good deals at the supermarket, including scheduled offers and manager's specials, utilise your freezer effectively (if there's a good offer on, say, vac-packed smoked sausage in June but you think of it more as an autumnal food, buy it and freeze it; the vac-pack helps prevent freezer burn and you can thaw it out in October with little-to-no loss in quality at all) and learn to cook as much from scratch as you can.

I live in USica currently where pounds are the standard measurement and the smoked sausage I buy is $6/lb (sold in 14oz/400g ropes at $5.25 each). However, at the end of June, the price drops drastically and those ropes of sausage are sold BOGT for Fourth of July barbecues. That's 1200g of surprisingly decent sausage for only $5.25, under 44¢ per reasonably-sized portion.

The mash, the beetroot and the cabbage are all very, very cheap because most root veg and cabbages are typically very, very cheap so cooking this stuff from raw, whole veg would be the cheapest way to go compared to, say, canned veg or potato flakes.

It's not that difficult at all.
>>
Just buy the bare necessity food. Healthy whole grain fiberous food, vegetables, fruit, dairy non dairy, and protein, and spices. Forget all those extra things like Oreos, and ketchup, sauce, and beer.
>>
>>8166349
>ketchup
90c for a 750g can of tomato
.0something for the amount of seasoning needed
Gets you 5 or 6 dinners' worth of nice tomato sauce
>>
>>8166085
Not OP, but definitely interested.
>>
File: IMG-20161009-WA0000.jpg (384KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161009-WA0000.jpg
384KB, 1600x1600px
>>8166380

Never underestimate pancakes. Or anything else that can be made with just flour, eggs, milk, butter or a selection of those. Do everything big and conservable, so e.g. cook large portions of a dish and freeze them, freeze food which is on sale etc. Clean out jars or get them from parents (as you won't have many if you follow the 'no ready made food' rule) and use them to store spices etc. which you have bought in bulk (and thus will be packaged in a plain non-resealabe plastic bag).

Especially ground meat is your friend. Half pork half beef is cheaper, but less tasty. Watch for sales and buy a few big boxes of beef, repack in freezer bags in smaller portions and you have weeks worth of meat you can use in aforementioned nasi goreng and pasta dishes.

Also, don't forget deep frying. A bag of potatoes is cheap and so is chicken. Cut potatoes into shape (to taste: slim French fries or fat Flemish fries/steakhouse fries), put in salt water (fries should be covered with water, ca 2 tablespoons salt for a large bowl) and leave for ca 2 hours. Ditch water and pat fries dry. Fry in lard or other oil at 160C for 5 minutes and put on dry tissues to lose excess fat. Crank up fat to 200C and fry for another 2 minutes. Cheap and the best tasting fries you'll ever eat. Cut chicken into strips or cubes, let soak in mixed egg, put on flour (add pepper, salt, chili powder, dill or whatever you like to flour beforehand and mix well) and rub the flour on the chicken. Shake off excess flour over the bowl and continue until all chicken is floured/breaded. Fry for several minutes. Delicious with honey mustard sauce (equal parts mayo, honey and mustard), just buy the cheapest brands. Artisinal fast food for dirt cheap prices.

Just eat bread with cheese for lunch (the Dutch way, and we're noted for being frugal) and for breakfast if you're feeling extra Dutch. Pancakes with syrup or powdered sugar are a cheap treat.

Tfw you can teach ppl to eat cheap bc of your heritage
>>
File: Nasi-goreng-9x6-600x400.jpg (78KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Nasi-goreng-9x6-600x400.jpg
78KB, 600x400px
Btw, here is the poorfag nasi goreng

God bless our colonial food

600g rice (cook until dry)
200g of minced meat
1 leek (chop into rings)
2 garlic parts (chopped finely)
1 large onion (chopped finely)
2 tablespoons sambal or 2 chilis/peppers whatever

Cook the rice until almost dry (be careful not to burn it) and stir the grains loose from each other. Fry the onion and garlic in a neutral oil like sunflower for ca 3 minutes. Add the meat and fry until almost done. Add leek. Add sambal/pepper. Add the rice and keep stirring. Add spices to taste, salt, pepper, (ketoembar (cilantro seed), djahé (ginger), koenjit (turmeric), cumin etc. are all possible. Develop your own taste but be careful with adding, as some can be very overpowering and ruin the food when overdone.

Fry an egg/omelette and put it over the nasi, add ketjap/soy sauce and/or peanut/sateh sauce and of course kroepoek for the real Dutch East-Indies experience, though kroepoek may be very expensive outside of the Netherlands. Some atjar tjampoer is also nice, and can be made cheaply in large quantities (I have 5 1kg jars in the basement)

Also, carrot can be added or another vegetable, leek can be left out etc.
>>
>>8166037
Stop eating
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.