[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT god tier ingredients you should have always at hand.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

ITT god tier ingredients you should have always at hand.
>>
File: Onion (1).jpg (629KB, 2122x1415px) Image search: [Google]
Onion (1).jpg
629KB, 2122x1415px
Onions
>>
>>8158306
Explain.
>>
Onions, red or sweet
Garlic, fresh or dry ground
Sun-dried tomato (dry, not in oil)
Vegetable and meat stock (frozen homemade, dashi pellets, or liquid in cartons)
Frozen berries (blueberries hold up best imo)
ACV and balsamic
Evoo
Wedge Parmesan
Coarse or whole grain mustard

All of these will keep indefinitely or for a pretty long time. I would also add in lemons and limes, and although they're more perishable than the above if you stick them in the bottom of the fridge they will eventually get dessicated but still be perfectly good flavor wise and you will be surprised by how much juice you can get out of what looks like a shriveled up lemon. Or you can just buy the little lemon/lime juice bottles.
>>
>>8158316
They're oniony.
>>
>>8158316
Everything is better with onions
>>
>>8158316
Are you serious? Onions are one of the best and most sources of savory flavor. Sautee any vegetable with them. Chop them up and eat them raw on a sausage, throw them in a stew. Onions are the best.
>>
File: shrek.png (140KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
shrek.png
140KB, 400x400px
>>8158316
>>
>>8158325
How legit is this? In my experience onions just lose all their taste and become mild after cooking them and don't add anything to the overall taste.
>>
>>8158342
Maybe you're buying shitty onions. I don't buy the "yellow" or "white" onions, only red or sweet as they have more flavor at least in my local stores.

The onions themselves do lose most of their taste unless grilled or flash fried, but if you have a decent amount of them and deglaze the pan then they should impart a lot of flavor onto the other ingredients or your sauce.

Always be sure to brown them, though you can throw onions into a soup without browning they will be better if you chop them coarsely and brown, deglaze, and then add that in.

If you find onions don't cut it consider getting some shallots and looking for shallot specific recipes. Tarragon chicken is a popular one and very easy.
>>
>>8158359
Also try some dried onion powder from spice section. You will find a great deal of savory packaged foods or restaurant dishes incorporate quite a bit onion powder.
>>
File: British_feast.jpg (18KB, 430x300px) Image search: [Google]
British_feast.jpg
18KB, 430x300px
>>8158283
fresh, dill, onion, peppers and garlic.
>>
File: 20150706-anchovies-primary2[1].jpg (471KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
20150706-anchovies-primary2[1].jpg
471KB, 1500x1125px
>>
>>8158423
How do anchovies compare to canned tuna? I can't buy it in a normal supermarket in my country.
>>
>>8158436

They're used more of a seasoning rather than a stand alone protein, as they're really salty, and mostly used in moderation.
>>
STOCK
T
O
C
K

make it yourself, it's ez
>>
Eggs
>>
>>8158316
Because they literally go with everything.

Also, they have layers :^)
>>
>>8158452
>STOCK
A bit more specific?
>>
>>8158472
Like your mom
>>
>>8158484
My mom has layers?
>>
>>8158489
Yes
Pants
Panties
Bush
Outer labia
Inner labia
Vaginal entry
>>
>>8158447

Although smoked anchovies in olive oil from Trader Joes is really good alone, and isn't salty.
>>
Parmesan
Salt
Tinned toms
Chicken stock
Truffle oil
>>
File: Ginger-Root-Benefits.jpg (396KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
Ginger-Root-Benefits.jpg
396KB, 1600x1066px
inb4asian
>>
>>8158496
you forgot:
>Vagina
>Cervix
>Uterus
>>
File: Scallions_0.jpg?itok=33riNdnw.jpg (39KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
Scallions_0.jpg?itok=33riNdnw.jpg
39KB, 500x334px
>>8158306
>>8158550

These and garlic and green onions.

Stir frying is great.
>>
File: plugra-butter.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
plugra-butter.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>Ctrl+F "Butter"
>No results

Seriously, the right butter in the right place can take a dish from shit to amazing pretty quick
>>
>>8158482
>>8158316
God you're a stupid idiot.
>>
>>8158283
Mustard
>>
>>8158321
>Sun-dried tomato (dry, not in oil)
Why? Personal preference? I never seen sun-dried tomato that can be purchase in dry form.
The leftover flavoured oil also makes good use in salad dressing and frying things.
>>
>>8159380
Far less expensive for one. I find them easier to work with generally and if I'm adding them to a spread or sauce extra oil can be a problem.

It's a personal preference but you can always rehydrate and oil the dry ones.

I got my last package at tj maxx (outlet store full of misc. stuff) not sure where they came from originally but I imagine some higher end grocery stores carry them.
>>
>>8159346
No joke, garlic and scallions can change a dish entirely.

Sauteed mushrooms in beef broth is kinda meh. Add garlic and scallions and it becomes a transcendent side dish
>>
MSG, Honey, Ginger. If it weren't for those I would've died a long time ago.
>>
why do so many recipes call for canned tomatoes over fresh diced? Is it because people usually don't keep that many on hand or something? I always substitute fresh diced tomatoes anyway, I find canned food gross in most cases.
>>
>>8159524
I think you should look into other canned brands. Truth be told, commercial grocers cannot logistically get you peak tomatoes for a reasonable price. We have locally sourced tomatoes in a grocer here and they rot because nobody wants to pay $3.50/lb when the underripe Romas are $0.79/lb.

Canned tomatoes solve that problem by allowing companies to quickly pick and process tomatoes with none of the logistical issues of shipping fresh tomatoes.
Unless the dish can't do without fresh tomatoes, I always opt for a good quality canned variant
>>
>>8159524

>i just started cooking last week and am talking like i'm the shit
>the post
>>
>>8159544
how am I talking like I'm the shit? I'm just wondering.
I guess my aversion to canned food is irrational but is there really a reason that canned tomatoes are preferable to fresh?
>>
>>8158283
rice vinegar
garlic powder
smoked paprika
nutritional yeast
onions
canned tomatoes
frozen bananas
cashews

These things are crazy versatile (some more so than people give them credit for), and I always try to have some of each on hand.
>>
>>8159552
I don't know why he thinks you're talking like anything, but as far as the tomatoes-

Canned tomatoes seem far more consistently good, since they can all be picked when in season. Also, it's very easy to stock up on stewed/fire roasted/etc tomatoes which normally take a lot of time to prep, but don't lose quality in the can.

I don't get many things in the can that I can get fresh, but I always have canned tomatoes at hand, as do many coo/ck/s I've known.
>>
Brown onions
Red onions
Garlic

Ground cumin, coriander
Smoked paprika
Cayenne/extra hot chilli powder
Garam Masala
Dried parsley, oregano, rosemary, mint, coriander, and thyme (although parsley and coriander plants would be a lot better to have since they're not that great when dried)
Garlic powder
Muscovado sugar
White sugar
Onion powder
Chicken stock

Shaoxing rice wine
Oyster sauce
Sesame oil
Dark soy sauce
(with these four ingredients you can outcook your average chinese restaurant)

Balsamic vinegar
Red wine vinegar

Kidney beans

Flour
Cornflour

Parmesan cheese
Mature cheddar cheese
>>
>>8159772
Replace dark soy sauce with superior light and you literally have my cupboard lmao
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.