[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good cooking methods for very lean cuts of red

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: lean_cut.jpg (36KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
lean_cut.jpg
36KB, 640x426px
What are some good cooking methods for very lean cuts of red meat?

I'm an avid hunter and end up with quite a bit of very lean venison and wild pig meat every year. I usually slice it very thin and use it in a stir fry or pound it out and use it for chicken fried steak but I'd like to try some different cooking methods. Cubing this meat and using it in stew or beans results in dry, somewhat tough, and bland chunks of meat. Most of it is a bit too tough to be enjoyed as steaks (and I don't want to eat med-rare wild pig meat either).
>>
>>8154213
I also make a ton of venison jerky every year and have no trouble finding ways of using the lean ground meat I end up with. It's the larger cuts of meat from the back hams and front shoulders that I need some different ways of cooking.
>>
>>8154213
Buy meat grinder. Mix 30% pork fat and make any sausage, meatball, meat patty you want.

When you braise or stew, mix in 30% pork butt or beef chuck cubed.
>>
>>8154296
see
>>8154228

I already make a lot of ground meat that I can find plenty of uses for. I usually grind it up lean and then add fat later if what I'm cooking will need it.

I'm more curious about how to cook larger (2-4 lb) cuts of lean meat.
>>
>>8154228
This guy took my answer
>>8154296
And this guy came up with a better one

I'm not sure what cold cuts use these usually but you could experiment with different brines for Corned Beef type stuff
>>
>>8154296
Whoops, didn't see

>When you braise or stew, mix in 30% pork butt or beef chuck cubed.

I can try that, will the fat from the storebought pork/beef keep the lean meat more moist and add flavor or will it just add some extra chunks of meat to the stew that aren't chewy and dry?
>>
>>8154303
I do make corned venison that's good as per
>>8154305
>>
>>8154305
I've never tried to cure meat before but I've wanted to give it a go the next time I get a good cut of meat off of a wild pig. Thanks for reminding me, I need to order some curing supplies before hunting season gets here.
>>
>>8154320
interesting, I've never heard of anyone curing venison like that, I was only thinking about curing a ham from a pig but I'll try it with a deer as well.
>>
>>8154314
I think it just adds fat so it seems less dry and more flavorful.
>>
>>8154303
>I'm more curious about how to cook larger (2-4 lb) cuts of lean meat.

Use barding and larding, then roast in the oven or BBQ.

Barding is wrapping the meat with some kind of fat before you roast it. Bacon, prosciutto, caul fat (aka crepin) can all be used to wrap the meat.

Larding is inserting strips of fat or fatty meat into the roast. There are special tools for this called a "larding needle", or you can do it by stabbing the meat with a long narrow knife then using a chopstick or similar to stuff a strip of pork fat down inside the hole. Google "larding meat".
>>
>>8154323
I use Martha Stewart's recipe for curing corned beef but add an onion and 1TBS of juniper berries.
>>
>>8154213
ass
>>
>>8154331
thanks anon, I'll keep that in mind

>>8154327
I've tried barding before, it was better than nothing but didn't seem to get much fat penetration and still left the roast drier than I'd like. I'll try larding, probably using some fatty bacon. I feel like I'll have better luck with that method.
>>
Pastrami
>>
>>8154345
Yeah, barding really only affects the surface but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Another option (depending on the exact cut you have, of course) is to make a roulade: cut the meat so you can lay it out flat. Pound with a meat hammer to get the thickness uniform. Layer some fatty meat on top (bacon, proscuitto, etc.), season, then roll it up. Tie it with string or wrap with crepin, then roast that.
>>
This recipe for venison shoulder is awesome, I've done it before with a full shoulder and it was fucking awesome. Highly recommend it, it was as tender as pot roast, with more flavor.

https://youtu.be/QPmAYmDgrwk
>>
>>8155084
That looks really good, I'll definitely give it a shot.
>>
File: roast boar.jpg (41KB, 480x267px) Image search: [Google]
roast boar.jpg
41KB, 480x267px
Brine the meat before you cook it, maybe with extra spices and sugar, and have you considered smoking or barbecuing it? I would also pair venison with a mature, smoky, full-flavored red wine for sure, or marinate it in red wine marinade. Then of course there's also pic related.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.