[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is popcorn less calories popped than it is unpopped?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: hmmmmmmm.jpg (32KB, 436x480px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmmmm.jpg
32KB, 436x480px
why is popcorn less calories popped than it is unpopped?
>>
Varying serving sizes?
>>
I'm probably wrong, but I'd imagine it's the evaporation of the water inside the kernels....I think.
>>
>>8153568
Water ain't got no calories
>>
>>8153576

Exactly why I was hesitant to post that, but I can't think of anything else
>>
>>8153557
I believe they measure calories by burning food? Caloric content being the measure of how much heat a substance can produce. Perhaps popped corn has fewer calories because part of it has been burned off in the process of cooking?
>>
>>8153557
Wheres your source to prove this claim?
>>
>>8153565
Who the hell has a serving of unpopped pop corn?
>>
Probably too obvious, but are the calories given by cup or other weird volume-based measurements?
>>
explosions destroy things
>>
File: brown-rice-1000x550.jpg (411KB, 1000x550px) Image search: [Google]
brown-rice-1000x550.jpg
411KB, 1000x550px
For the same reason uncooked rice has more calories than cooked rice.
>>
>>8153649
Ah, yeah that makes sense.
In highschool we burned doritos to find out now many calories were in it during chemistry.

But still, I don't think it should make that big a difference.
>>
"Normal" corn is not the same type of corn as popcorn. The corn used for popcorn has a way higher starch content and less sugar
>>
>>8153557
When you heat food you change its chemical make up, Freaky i know
>>
File: image.jpg (259KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
259KB, 1680x1050px
>it's literally getting activated
>>
The process of popping the corn releases energy lowering the calories.
>>
>>8154594
yes but how? what changes?
>>
>>8153649
This.
>>
Each kernel popped has the same calories as each unpopped kernel but popped kernels take up way more space than unpopped, so a volume of unpopped kernels will have more calories than the same volume of popped kernels
>>
Harder to digest, same reason why raw meat has less calories than cooked meat.
>>
They measure serving size for kernels by tbsp.
3 tbsp. of popcorn can make about 6 cups popped depending on kernel size. Most peoples' brains are tricked to think when they're eating popcorn they're consuming more food because of the mass.

3 tbsp. of kernels = 130 calories
1 cup of popped corn = 20 calories
10 calories of fat are lost between kernel and the final product because of the heat.
>>
>>8154858
Idiot.
Complete and utter idiot.
>>
>>8154898
Ebin :DDD
>>
>>sci
>>
>>8154555
yeah but cooked rice has more water than uncooked so you obviously have less calories per 100 grams. If anything it's the other way around with popcorn so your explanation doesn't make sense. The only way I see it is if the serving size is measured in volume like >>8154542
said
>>
>>8153649

I guess they measure that by lighting food on fire.
>>
>>8158036

there are poor niggers dying in africa and white boys are burning food. fuck this system. kill the police.
>>
You can make up for the lost calories by tossing the corn in butter or caramel.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.