[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I put beans in my chili? one of my friends swears that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: chili.jpg (32KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
chili.jpg
32KB, 500x375px
Should I put beans in my chili? one of my friends swears that beans are totally necessary and chili without beans is bullcrap. I have'nt been putting any in? should I?
>>
Chili is a food that has a number of regional variations, and each region thinks they make "real chili." The most widespread version does include beans, so go ahead and use beans if you want to. Just be aware that no matter what you make, someone will tell you you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>8152486
Original chili was a dish made to deal with the fact that an entire cow died. It was a block of ground dried chili peppers and some other seasonings that was tossed in a big pot with water and massive amount of meat. Cook until it was was thick and then eaten.

Beans are a variation on the chili recipe like most soups and stews due to scarcity of food therefore putting filler in their food. There was no reason for filler when you had literal 100's of pounds of soon to be rotting beef. But when you are away from that one scenario you will find filler in some way in most recipes because thats the point of stews originally, to make due.
>>
>>8152545
Nice story, almost sounds logical, but it's utter crap.

People like the flavor of beans. It has nothing to do with scarcity then or now. For good reason there are a zillion variety of delicious beans. Dried, they are great pantry staples with a long shelf life, and would be part of year-round meals for that reason.

OP, suit yourself. Somewhere in the post-depression America some people grew up poor. They scoff at poverty meals. That is the only reason for excluding beans from chili. They're quite inexpensive, and yes, could be used to cover the fact of less meat per serving. But, that doesn't matter to you unless you're dining out and paying $10/bowl. What matters is some amazing balance you find in your recipes that you make the way you want to make them.

I like chili both ways, or even 5way. It's a matter of mood. I actually prefer some beans, however. If I want meat-only chili, I'd probably prefer a beef burgundy, or chunky beef paprikash with giant mushrooms, or other beef stew over messing up a nice chili with some kind purist ideal. Or I'd be making some barbacoa and having some real mexican food or a vaca frita.
>>
>>8152545
Or, you know, beans taste good in chili.

I recommend trying it once before being against it, OP.
>>
>I have'nt been putting any in?
Why are you asking me? How should I know?

Although I was gonna make black bean chili on Wednesday, I think I'll push it up to tomorrow instead.
>>
I've never had chili without beans. I've been making a vegetarian chili using beans as its base.
>>
>>8152486

Chili without beans is the saddest fucking thing.
>>
Literally why not? Beans are great texturally, and absolutely inoffensive flavorwise. Without them chili is just slop.
>>
>>8152486
your friend is correct, beanless chili is for fags.
>>
>>8152486
Only reason for beanless chili is for chili dogs
>>
guys hear me out RICE in chili
>>
I use beans when I make chili with ground meat. I don't use beans if I'm using stew meat.
>>
File: 1490ad1417412041699.jpg (312KB, 1200x1641px) Image search: [Google]
1490ad1417412041699.jpg
312KB, 1200x1641px
>>8152545
>Original chili was a dish made to deal with the fact that an entire cow died.

Original chili didn't use beef, as there were no cows in the Western Hemisphere when it was invented by Mesoamericans.

Chili is a bean and chili pepper stew that can use meat but doesn't have to.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.