[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home-made Mead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: meadday_bottles.jpg (168KB, 700x514px) Image search: [Google]
meadday_bottles.jpg
168KB, 700x514px
I want to make some mead in my room over the fall and winter. What is the simplist way to make it? I'm talking bare necessities. Is it possible to make it without any type of filter or hoses?
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 236x236px
http://www.ambrosiafarm.com/mead.php

Quick mead kits.
>>
File: 1428025459587.jpg (2MB, 1408x3420px) Image search: [Google]
1428025459587.jpg
2MB, 1408x3420px
>>8140720
Got this off here, not actually tried it yet though
>>
>>8140720
I've got a peach mead (melomel) brewing right now.

To be honest, you can make it by just mixing honey and water and a wine yeast in a bucket and sampling it sometimes until it has the balance of alcohol and sweetness you want.

But to make a mead you'll be proud of, you're going to have to invest some money in proper equipment. That means a fermenting vessel, a secondary fermenting vessel, hoses for transferring from one vessel to another, bottles, corks or caps, etc.

You can find this kind of info on the internet by doing a google on "brewing mead" or stopping by your local homebrew store. Usually the owner/operator is a brewer and will set you up with the minimum equipment necessary.

I encourage you to try it. It's a pretty rewarding and tasty hobby that isn't that difficult or expensive to do right.

A mead binge, especially with a significant other, is an experience every human of good will should experience at least once.
>>
fuck yea anon, I've been meaning to get into mead making to- made beer before, now need to find a place that'll sell me a mead kit- only ale places nearby
>>
>>8140829
Dude, if you did an extract beer, you have everything you need to brew a good mead, except perhaps a secondary fermentation vessel (aka carboy).

You'll just need to find a source for honey that's cheaper than the store. For a standard mead, you need a minimum of 12lbs honey for 5 gallons. I buy 60lbs (1 gallon = 12lbs) at a time from a beekeeper in my town for $135. Compare that to your standard grocery.
>>
>>8140720
Combine honey and water, add yeast, cover with something so bugs don't get in, then wait. Once it's done fermenting let all the true and shit settle, carefully pour the mead off the shit. Age if you want to, or just drink it.
>>
fermenting something that contains a natural antibiotic is the height of stupidity. It's like gently toasting water.
>>
>>8140858
Tell the Norseman that, you simpering imbecile. What don't you understand about the definition of mead and the fact it's been made for thousands of years? Coupled with the fact that I've made over 100 gallons of it in my short, but very contented, mead inspired life.

True, honey is naturally antibiotic, but certain strains of yeast wallow in it, doing their thing, to their single cell hearts content. And we're left with the elixir that is their excrement.
>>
>>8140857
As I said before, this works, but I would add to use a mead or at the very least a wine yeast. The process can be improved upon, but it will produce mead.
>>
File: _20160908_181857.jpg (910KB, 1748x3596px) Image search: [Google]
_20160908_181857.jpg
910KB, 1748x3596px
>danish friend brought over some 'viking mead'
>Three ingredients
>Tasted amazing
>But can't get that here in the USA it seems without making it yourself

Why is this allowed?
>>
File: _20160908_181913.jpg (1MB, 1767x4320px) Image search: [Google]
_20160908_181913.jpg
1MB, 1767x4320px
>>8141004
It was a little sweeter than I would have liked but gd it was still so good.
>>
>>8141004
Why is what allowed? That you can't find it in ameritardland? Mainly because there are probably only something like .5% of ameritards who even know what mead is.

Having said that, there are some great meaderys in the US, but they're not going to be widely distributed.

Those who know the beauty and power of it brew our own. One of the benefits of that is you can brew it as sweet or dry as you want.
>>
>>8140858
Fuck off it tastes good.
>>
>>8141004
>tfw there are a bunch of delicious local meads from around here
Based Texas (and honestly our renaissance faire culture which I think is largely responsible for the growing popularity of mead here).
>>
>>8140852
5 Gallons??
dang I only did 1 gallon and I have another batch fermenting in it already. That's why I'd like to pick up a second set of equipment.
I suppose I can try to cut a mead recipe down for 1 gallon- this way I can expiriment ( granny smith w/ cinnamon sticks batch, a mint batch ect)
>>
>>8141145
Sure, try a 1 gallon batch after your beer finishes. Use 3lbs of honey, water and whatever spices or fruit you want. If you want dry instead of sweet, use a dry champagne yeast. If you want sweet, get a sweet mead yeast.
>>
>>8141175
alright, thanks for the help!
any recomendations on recipes/favorites you have?
>>
>>8141179
Just plain honey is great. I've done pomegranite, blueberry, blackberry, grape, chamomile (a popular tea flower that supposedly has relaxing properties) and they've all been good. As I said I've got a peach going right now. I always juice the fruit and just add the juice, not the pulp. I mix everything together except the yeast and heat to 180F for 30 minutes to kill wild yeast, cool it to around 70 and pitch the yeast. I let it go for about a month then transfer to another carboy to let it clear for another month. Never had a bad one.
>>
>>8141241
no pulp eh? I was just gonna toss some organic apple halves in.
Awesome thanks!
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.