[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rice thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 14

File: rice.jpg (56KB, 1400x787px) Image search: [Google]
rice.jpg
56KB, 1400x787px
Share your recipes, techniques, queries and tricks!

I've been having a problem with my rice. I recently bought a new stove and I've been cooking my white long grain, simply-as-fuck newfag rice on it with the simple method of "put twice as much water (by volume) in a pan as you want to use (by volume) of rice, bring this water to boil while you wash your rice with cold water, then add your rice to the pan and cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for around 12 minutes, then serve it".

My problem however is that when I'm wanting to serve the rice, I'm noticing that the stuff in the pan clearly still has a lot of water left to absorb, implying that I'm either using too much water or I'm simmering it on too low a temperature, however once I do serve the rice, I'm noticing some hardly cooked rice stuck to the bottom of the pan (I usually have to scrap it off), implying that I've not used enough water or I've simmered at too high a temperature.

How is this possible? What's gone wrong?

Admittedly, I am planning to change my rice cooking method, but I just don't see why this one has started to fail.
>>
>>8140463
Stir your rice in, use less water, keep temperature at a simmer.
>>
1) what the fuck is risotto actually
2) how do I make that sticky rice every aZn restaurant has?
2b) do I just need a different type of rice?
>>
>>8140463

You're using too much water
Also, I'm guessing you are using a thin shitty pot that tends to hotspot which is why you have rice stuck to the bottom of it.
>>
>>8140463
For long grain, 1 part rice, 1.5 water.

Add the rice to cold water, and bring both the water and rice to a boil. Put the lid on, turn the heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 15 minutes. Once you put the lid on, don't touch it for the full 30 minutes. If it's burning, then try a non-stick pot.
>>
>>8140477
risotto is a stirred rice dish with stock it's essentially cooking the rice into a creamy sauce made from the excess starch

sticky rice is just short grain rice cooked well so the answer to 3 is yes
>>
>>8140477
For sticky rice you need glutinous rice. It can be short or long grained. The grains are a very opaque white/offwhite, not translucent at all because they're nearly 100% amylopectin with negligible amylose.

To prepare glutinous rice first you wash it it, rinsing multiple times until the water runs clear, then let it soak in fresh cold water for like an hour or several. Then steam it, don't cook in a pot with water or a rice cooker, you need to actually steam it.

Pretty hard to fuck up, and tastes good. I eat glutinous rice all the time, mostly because I have a 20b bag of it lol and don't feel like buying anything different.
>>
>>8140511
Just occurred to me that you may not be talking about actual sticky rice though, so in that case just get sushi rice or other short grain rice and cook like normal (sushi rice does not steam well in my experience lol).
>>
>>8140463
I boil rice with a chicken bouillon cube.
>>
>>8140463
As others have said your ratio is off, 1:1.5 rice water is what you want. Dont forget that if you're rinsing your rice in a bowl or something instead of a strainer there's going to be residual water leftover unless you dry really well, and that could further mess up your ratio
>>
>>8140512
I'm not sure at all, honestly. I stick to Uncle Ben's because I don't know better.
>>
>>8140477
Hi! I'm Italian and I love to cook risotto. First of all, you need the proper rice. The constant stirring during the cooking process rubs the starch off the surface of the rice, where it dissolves into and thickens the cooking liquid. Choosing a rice that doesn't have enough starch means that the hallmark creamy texture of a good risotto will never be achieved.
So what makes a good risotto rice? Look for rice that's short- to medium-grain in size, plump, and has a high amylopectin (starch) content. The most popular kinds of rice ar Carnaroli and Arborio. Here is a quick guide for any risotto:
1) put some water and stock in a small sauce pan and keep it hot
2) put oil and some finely chopped onion in a pan, when the onion starts to look transparent add the rice (1/4 per person), raise the flame to max and stir the rice fast for 30 seconds. This will make your rice grains not loose consistence but only the starch while cooking. While the flame is still to maximum add a little bit of white wine (also cheap wine is fine), 1/4 cup is fine.
3)When the wine evaporates (it should happen in 30 secs) you can lower the flame and add the hot stock. Now you can relax, but you need to keep on stirring!
4) add now the vegetables that you like in the risotto (they have to be half cooked). You can do risotto with pretty much everything. I love it with asparagus or mushrooms. In case your mushrooms aren't really tasty add some guanciale, it makes the difference!
5)keep on adding stock and stirring until the risotto has the right consistency
5)turn off the stove, add grated parmisan cheese, a little bit of butter (not salted) and parsley if you want. Cover for two minutes and then stir for the last time
6) enjoy :)
>>
>>8140463
Rice is like my magic food.

Bought a huge bag in college and cooked it with whatever else i could afford at the time. Saved me a ton of money and since it can be infused with almost any flavor i still enjoy it.
>>
>>8140599
Pretty much right. That's how I do it. Sometimes add seafood or precooked chicken at end.
>>
File: P1090660cropres.jpg (224KB, 1000x622px) Image search: [Google]
P1090660cropres.jpg
224KB, 1000x622px
Lately I've been cooking my brown rice (long grain, short grain, long grain brown basmati) 168ml of water for 90g of dried rice.

The grains turn out consistently cooked and firm every time, perfect for fried rice.
>>
Put the rice in a pan, add the cold water, twice the amount of rice, stir once, bring to the boil, and simmer until all is absorbed, and seasom
>>
for garlic rice can I just throw some butter and minced raw garlic in the rice cooker or should I saute the garlic
>>
>>8140463
Just buy a quality rice cooker, makes life easily 100x easier.
>>
Melt one table spoon of butter in a pot over high heat, as soon as the butter is melted add one cup of rice. Keep stirring until rice is lughtly browned. Add 1 can of chicken stock plus one quater cup water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, put on lid and simmer, stirring occasionly until done.
>>
>>8140690
>brown rice
>perfect for fried rice

never change /ck/
>>
>>8140930
What's wrong with it?
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 600x450px
>>8140477
If you want good sticky Asian rice go for a calrose or koshihikari. Koshihikari tastes best in my opinion. Rinse 2-3 times even if it says pre-washed. Cook as directed on the bag if you're using a pot. But a rice cooker will do you wonders if you can afford one. It makes the whole making rice process so much easier.

>>8140732
This. Pic related is the model I use. Though I stole the picture from some blog.

All you have to do is clean the rice, add the amount of water shown on the line for the rice you're using/want to eat and put it in the cooker and press a button (or two depending on the type of rice want). You can even add vegetables, broth, raw meat or fish and it'll cook it all together safely.

Thank god for Zojirushi. Other brands are nice too, I've just had my best luck with Zojirushi.
>>
I always add a little bit of Olive Oil or Canola Oil...just the smallest amount. My rice never sticks to the pot
>>
>>8140719
You should probably saute it a bit first, unless you're okay with your rice tasting like raw garlic.
>>
Whats a good japanese-ish rice that they use in non sushi dishes?
>>
>>8141274
Surely the garlic has time to cook in the 20 minutes of boiling.
>>
>>8141302
You would think, but once while making risotto I just threw garlic in with the broth because I forgot to cook it with the onions, and the raw garlic flavor overwhelmed everything. Better to neutralize it a bit first.
>>
Instead of boiling in water, I boil it in 3/4 chicken stock and 1/4 milk or cream.
Then when I have a bowl, I add butter and salt.
So simple yet so fucking delicious
>>
I really only use riceto mix in with dishes(taco's, stir fry, etc.).
>>
File: 1467735790.jpg (26KB, 638x359px) Image search: [Google]
1467735790.jpg
26KB, 638x359px
Basmati rice
>Give 30 second rinse under running water to remove the starch that accumulates on each grain of rice
>Do ratio of 1:2, one cup of rice is two cups of water
>Put rice and water in same pan together
>Get it boiling as fast as possible
>When it begins to boil hard/rolling/retard
>Turn down to simmer/low cover
>Season with salt, pepper whatever the fuck you want
>Don't touch for twenty
>After twenty minutes take off heat and leave for five minutes, something happens with the steam that cooks/absorbs/something

Enjoy.
>>
>>8141297
Short grain.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (108KB, 1525x945px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
108KB, 1525x945px
>mfw people near me using long grain/ basmati rice and not GOAT jasmine
>>
Will people laugh at me for eating plain rice with butter? I never know what to add in there, and usually no time to make a complicated sauce.
>>
>>8142215
Nah, it's pretty common.
>>
i just putting it in a pot, wait for the water to boil, take it off the stove and wrap it in a blanket or towel, leave it for 10-15 minutes or till its how u like it, strain the water and boom perfect rice with 0 effort
>>
File: 282_480x310.jpg (70KB, 480x310px) Image search: [Google]
282_480x310.jpg
70KB, 480x310px
>>8140477
buy this stuff for asian rice its great
>>
risotto is Italian for "how do you cook rice properly??"
>>
File: received_912253495527133.gif (2MB, 250x136px) Image search: [Google]
received_912253495527133.gif
2MB, 250x136px
>>8142125
This guy right here gets it.
>>
>>8140463
Too much water. I use a 2:1 ratio but I have those IKEA pot lids with 5 steam holes on them. If you use a lid without any holes 1.5:1 is better.
>>
>>8140463
OP here, I reduced my water and as expected it fixed my first issue (there still being too much water left to absorb when the rice should have been done) however my second issue is still present - rice is still sticking to the bottom of my pan. Why is this?
>>
>>8140471
what does stirring the rice in result in?
>>
>>8142940
youre cooking it at to high a temp or for to long
>>
>>8142940
Cooking temperature too high or cooking for too long. Once the water begins to boil reduce the temp just so it isn't boiling then let it simmer until most of the water is gone.
>>
File: 01.jpg (123KB, 1197x593px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
123KB, 1197x593px
>>8142347

Maybe not.
>>
>>8142940
Did you wait for it to cool?

Wait for it to cool for, at least, an hour.
>>
>>8142955
>>8142988
>Cooking temperature too high
>youre cooking it at to high a temp
How can it be temperature? I'm turning it down to a very low simmer almost immediately after adding the rice to the pan of boiling water, while I understand that the stove still has to cool down, I wouldn't think that it'd have that much of an effect.

>or for to long
Possible but unlikely, there's people here who have recommended more than double the cooking time I have for my rice.

>>8143250
>Wait for it to cool for, at least, an hour.
I'm not taking over an hour to cook rice. Heck, doesn't cooked rice go off after like 2 hours?
>>
>>8143466
>very low simmer
You're cooking it for too long then. You want to lower it just enough so it isn't boiling. Instead of going on time just look at how much water is in the pot. It's pretty much done once you stop seeing any bubbles.
>>
I just made quick rice pudding with half a box of instant rice, a can of sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon and a shot of Irish whiskey

was surprisingly not shit.
>>
File: 2c9b56c6154f2e7eaa1eb1503e983888.png (373KB, 1409x779px) Image search: [Google]
2c9b56c6154f2e7eaa1eb1503e983888.png
373KB, 1409x779px
>>8143241
wtf thats crazy its no where near this expensive in my country
>>
>>8143466
buy a rice cooker cooking rice in a pot is way to easy to fuck up

white people can only cook rice like this or tastes shit
>>
File: posts.png (30KB, 573x390px) Image search: [Google]
posts.png
30KB, 573x390px
>>8144610
I like that I can see people's edits
>>
>>8144624
nice download there
>>
I have jasmine rice, olive oil, butter, minced garlic, and chicken base. how do I make deliciously unhealthy rice?
>>
>>8145080
make something similar to the rice mentioned in
>>8144620
>>
Couldnt care to read all above. Know your measure. Dont boil the rice. Steam for 11 mins. Wait for another 11 mins.
>>
>>8145086
Steam how?
>>
>>8140463
This makes nice basmati rice every time

Pot with 1.25 water to rice high heat
Put water on to boil
Put rice in boil for 5 minutes
Lower heat to pretty low and put lid on
Check in 8 mins if nice and fluffy on top it's ready otherwise leave for another couple

Or buy a $15 rice cooker from Walmart
I've got one and it works really well
>>
>>8145301
I call bullshit on getting better results from a $15 single-use appliance than a similarly-priced pan.
>>
>>8143466
>while I understand that the stove still has to cool down, I wouldn't think that it'd have that much of an effect.
Turns out that this was it. Reducing my water:rice ratio and bringing the water to boil on a lower heat seems to have fixed the problem.

Next issue - how do I make my rice not suck? I spent last year trying to perfect the basics of boiled rice but now I'm thinking of moving straight onto seasoning.
>>
indonesian here, Rice (Nasi) is a staple food in my country it can almost be used for any kind of meal.

My fried personal fried Rice recipe
1. Cooked Rice (using Magic com is preferable )
2. 1 indofood Nasi goreng pedas flavor spices
3. 2 eggs
4. other stuff to put it( for me is my own mom minced Rendang ) it can range from vegetables to diced chiken breast.

Basically what you need to do to put it in order
1. eggs
2. rice immediately
3. when it mixed up nicely put spices
4. and other things
5. Fry until it all mixed up nicely
6. done

it cost me 0.8-1.5 dollars for all ingredients, excluding the other things.
>>
>>8146395
>My fried personal fried Rice recipe
Sounds perfect.
>>
>>8146232
>Next issue - how do I make my rice not suck?

#1: Get good rice. People tend to think that rice is a basic commodity like salt where it's always the same. It's not. Different kinds of rice have different flavors. Most of it is largely flavorless and is bred to be as cheap as possible. Other varieties are quite flavorful. So the first thing I'd sort out is what rice you're buying.

...as for seasoning, there's lots of things you can do there. Cook your rice with broth instead of water. Add small amounts of other foods to the rice pot while the rice cooks--you can use aromatic vegetables or even protein (meat, poultry, shellfish, etc.)
>>
>>8142215
Add little sugar with it.

Or salt. Or milk.

Or omelette.

Easy good meals.
>>
>>8142215
fry it with eggs and salt , if you have cheese you can make instant cheese fried rice
>>
Basmati with prawn, pea and cumin seed.
>>
File: 1453657870482.jpg (36KB, 362x373px) Image search: [Google]
1453657870482.jpg
36KB, 362x373px
>>8148618
>prawn seeds
>>
>>8144620

>le spicy whiteys can't cook meme
>>
>>8148779
Spicy?
>>
>>8148779
You have to go back.

>>>/pol/
>>
>>8142945
it makes less grains stick to the bottom
>>
What's a good brand of wasabi powder? Don't mind horseradish, do mind total lack of rhizome.
>>
I do two parts rice to three parts water, boil the water then add the rice, turn down to low (1 or 2 depending on burner), cook for 18 minutes. It always comes out great.
>>
>>8142347
this kind of rice is shit for fried rice though
>>
>>8149921
Doesn't it also break up the grains and ruin the rice?
>>
My sister cooks rice in soy sauce. Like, not water mixed with soy, she straight up uses multiple bottles of it to fill up a pot then dumps the rice in.

The soy reduces really quickly and as a result the top of the rice pile is always undercooked and soggy, and the bottom is a charred mess that looks sorta like tar. The smell is also horrendous.

She scrapes out the bottom of the pot, mashes it up in a blastic bag with a mallet, then sprinkles it on top of the undercooked and mushy rice before grating mozzarella on top and microwaving it, usually serving it as a side to chicken nuggets & ketchup. She calls it her 'Asian-Italian dirty rice special".

I pity her children.
>>
File: 1393574223916.gif (3MB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
1393574223916.gif
3MB, 444x250px
>>8142125

You can take my Calrose when you can pry it from my cold dead hands.
>>
>>8140463
I put basmati rice in a tub with some water and put it in the microwave for ten minutes. I usually mix some bbq sauce or hot sauce into it after. Why would you even do it in any other way?
>>
>>8151028
Waste of good basmati

>rinse until water is practically clear
>soak for at least 1 hour
>drain
>sautee in oil or butter until translucent
>add water, volume shouldn't be equal to rice but more like 1/2 or 1/3 since it's absorbed water soaking
>bring to a boil, lower and simmer covered for 15-20 min
>>
>>8151076
My rice+chicken+broccoli is purely training food. It tastes nice enough in the microwave.

Why exactly do have to rinse the rice? I might start doing that at least.
>>
>>8151133
I see. Rinsing gets rid of that starchy powder. Makes it less sticky/gummy and generally more enjoyable. Pretty much all varieties are meant to be rinsed.
>>
>>8151210
I never rinse. Why even eat nonsticky rice? It's so creamy and delicious.
>>
>>8151237
What does sticky have to do with rinsing?

Sticky rice is short-grained varieties. Its stickiness is unaffected by rinsing.
>>
>>8140463
perfect recipe for yellow/saffron rice is grab a bag of mahatma and follow directions
>>
>>8151210
Ok cheers. I'm gonna try rinsing it next time
>>
File: boil n bag.jpg (64KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
boil n bag.jpg
64KB, 500x500px
set the temperature at just barely not boiling over. 10 minutes. this stuff always comes out good if they have it were you live. needs butter + salt.
>>
>>8144610
my vancouver bro

keep using da best rice
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.