[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What food gives you that Ratatouille flash back feeling?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 15

File: das some good ratpatootie.jpg (64KB, 630x314px) Image search: [Google]
das some good ratpatootie.jpg
64KB, 630x314px
When the food critic, Anton Ego, bites into Remy's ratatouille, he's instantly transported to a comforting memory of eating the same dish his mother made when he was sad. What food gives you that feeling and what memory does it bring to mind?

My mom had this special dish that was a spin on the traditional take of chilaquiles rojo. It was a lot of effort for a weekday dinner, especially since my parents would come home so late. So whenever she made it, it was a special dinner. I recently ordered it at a restaurant and just seeing it on my plate made me happy. It even got a conversation going since everyone at the table was trying to pick off my plate. What's your special dish?
>>
Whenever I drink beer I remember what my dad always smelled like right before he beat me.
>>
>>8138641
Sucking on your moms tits
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 500x646px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 500x646px
>>8138644
For me its the smell of cigarettes

Beer makes me think of happy times, friendly old fellows at the bar playing dice, talking about the game and eating peanuts.. I miss those innocent days of my youth.. I miss that bar...
>>
eating a big bowl of shit reminds me of india
>>
i honestly feel really bad for OP, he just wanted a serious thread and got nothing but shitposting /v/ kiddies
>>
>>8138710
thank you, anon. I can postpone my suicide now.
>>
I don't really think any food gives me a special feeling of nostalgia. But sushi and lasagna (separately, not together) are pretty feel-good foods.

>>8138710
/ck/ is full of that now, sadly.
>>
For me, I actually have a few. But honestly, Basil is a huge trigger for me and sends me right back to the kitchen where I got my first job as a pizza guy. Id always come home smelling like basil, flour, and roasted garlic cream.
>>
File: middle finger cat.jpg (21KB, 511x340px) Image search: [Google]
middle finger cat.jpg
21KB, 511x340px
>>8138717
*postpone suicide now
fuck, man. Even my iphone is getting in on the fun now.
>>
>>8138723
That sounds pretty nice actually. Did it feel like living the movie stereotype being a young dude making pizzas?

>>8138718
Feel good as in it the satisfying feeling of a full stomach, the taste of good food, or...?
>>
>>8138731
Actually, yeah it did a little bit. But it was a really nice place, actually. Not your run-of-the-mill pizza place. None of my friends could come bug me (as it was rather pricey) and it gave me really solid kitchen basics that have led me to a career in cooking.
>>
>>8138737
You've redeemed this thread.
>>
>>8138731
>Feel good as in...
They taste good and you can feel them fill you up as you eat them. Dunno how else to explain it, really.
>>
What we called beef tips and rice. Just chunks of beef, rice, and some mushroom soup. During cold weather it was amazing. Use to eat it all the time as a kid.
>>
>>8138742
Also I was fresh out of high school and was going to school online, Met some of the people that are still my best friends to this very day there. Good times. What is that food for you?
>>
>>8138641
Serious answers:
>Pot roast (beef) made with bacon fat in a Dutch oven
>My grandmother's turkey noodle soup recipe (Pennsylvania Dutch egg noodles and tomatoes, for no reason I can figure out)
>Pork roast with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes
>boiled crabs with potatoes and corn on the cob
>hamburger gravy over toast

Tell me that isn't Pennsylvania as fuck...
>>
Yogurtlu Kebab.

It reminds me of visiting my dear old great-grandfather. He lived in an apartment for old folks and they brought him dinner every evening, but they didn't cater for guests. So my mum and I always ordered some food from a Turkish bakery/kebabberie nearby. I discovered their yogurtlu kebab and stuck with it.
>>
>>8138759
pot roast with bacon fat sounds good as fuck. All of these do desu.
>>
>>8138744
That makes sense.
>>
>>8138749
Man, that story makes me feel good. The chilaquiles rojo mentioned in the OP, actually. There are so many birthdays I can remember asking for her to make it. She eventually showed me how to make it but even if I could replicate it to a T, hers would always be better.
>>
>>8138759
That sounds amazing. Any particular memory that brings to mind when you eat it?
>>
File: furry_friends.jpg (22KB, 638x287px) Image search: [Google]
furry_friends.jpg
22KB, 638x287px
>>8138641
These
>>
>>8138824
Those look really cozy.
>>
>>8138746
That reminds me of a dish I only have eaten twice in my life. I remember that it was a cold and windy day and it had just rained decently hard, just enough for the cold to seep beneath the door and into the house. The house was warm and smelled amazing from the food cooking. And my mom made a cheesy potato soup with a slice of plain white bread w/ butter to dip it in. Having warm soup in my belly to ward off the cold was a feeling like no other. I never had the chance to eat it a third time though because I later became lactose intolerant but the memory is nice.
>>
>>8138772
They are all good as fuck, but they're all likely to die with my mother, because the only other one in my family who still cooks like that is my bro who is fat as fuck and might die before her. I stopped cooking those dishes years ago because they don't line up with modern life. They're from a time when you had to prioritize your intake of protein and fat. Today you have to watch it because that shit is so available.
>>
>>8138842
You could try altering the recipe. Make it healthier without sabotaging taste.
>>
>>8138819
For some reason hamburger gravy over toast was a traditional holiday breakfast on my father's side of the family. So that tastes exactly like Christmas and Easter mornings to me.
>>
>>8138871
I love holidays for that reason.
>>
>>8138869
I've tried. Doesn't work. One of the biggest things I've learned about cooking is if you can't beat your grandma's then learn how to cook someone else's grandma's who cooked just as well but lighter. I've been lucky to have access to those old women showing me how to cook over the years.
>>8138877
I hate holidays, but I love getting the family together, and holidays are the excuse. Kinda torn between loving getting everyone together and hating planning shit...
>>
>>8138893
Hm, good points there. Well, maybe have yourself a cheat day just to enjoy every once in a while. It'd be a shame to never eat such tasty food again.
>>
File: degenerate.png (360KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
degenerate.png
360KB, 600x600px
>>8138641
>watching children's films as an adult
>>
>>8138641
Kraft mac and cheese reminds me of halloween, we would always have it before trick or treating, so my brother's and I would be half in our costumes eating it before we walked around our neighborhood.
>>
>>8138918
yeah that's nice /tv/ could you keep the sperging to a minimum? We're trying to talk about food here.
>>
>>8138911
I've had so many years of it there will be no reason to ever do it again on my own. I can summon the moment without even making the dish - the memories are that strong.
>>
>>8138641
Spanish spaghetti.
It was literally basic pasta with hunts tomato paste and sauce with chicken drumsticks, onion, cilantro and garlic.
My mom makes it very rarely anyone. Always makes a long day at work vanish when I visit her and that cooking
>>
New Mexico Enchiladas (Tortilla stack/alternating layer of cheese, onion & red sauce with a fried egg on top). I remember the smell of it and the coffee smell & morning kitchen sounds and my sweet old Mexican grandmother with her cigarette and Budweiser, just happily cooking which was her idea of a vacation.

Fried Chicken. From my mothers side of the family, this one makes me remember eating it when I was really little, the recipe has been in our family forever and it is one of the earliest foods I remember as a child, we'd usually take it to the back yard table to eat, so that whole experience I remember fondly. I would devour it, still do when I have the time to make it.
>>
Com bi suon nuong

A Vietnamese broken rice dish. I'm Vietnamese and when I was younger, having been raised in the U.S., I didn't know how to eat most Viet food and this was the only thing I could get whenever my family would order from a restaurant every now and then.

I also remember the times when I went back to Vietnam and my dad who was never around and still isn't around would buy me this dish whenever he came by.

*I was born in Vietnam but was brought to the U.S. at a year old
>>
>>8138695
This.
>>
>>8138641
When I turned 22 I spoke with my sister, who was well older than me, and confided in her that I did not like my mother's cooking, that as a dependent I had not realized that food could taste so good.

She was surprised it had taken me so long to figure out.
>>
Matza reminds me of being forced to starve for a week every year during my childhood.

I think the criteria for this type of memory food are:
-Eaten infrequently
-Strong emotional impression when consumed
>>
Oatmeal porridge for me, I was practicaly raised by my Ukrainian grandma untill tge age of 4 and that was the usual breakfast. It was delicious
>>
>>8138641
Real Shit? wendy's chicken nuggets

my mom never really had the time to make stuff for us when we were younger, so she'd get us the 99 cents nuggets from the wendys across the street for lunch most of the time. still my favorite nuggets from any restaurant,
>>
Those ready made cookies you can buy at the store that you just pop in the oven, and they usually have seasonal designs on them. Every time I eat one I'm reminded of doing an advent calendar with my mom and brother around Christmas, and how my mom would wrap these suction cup medallion things and we would unwrap one each day in December, and the medallion would tell a bible story, and then we'd stick it to the sliding glass door in the shape of a Christmas tree, and on the last day, the last medallion would be the Star of Bethlehem at the top of the tree.

I love those cookies
>>
>>8138724
>iphone
>filename
>>
Fish a la Jeanette.
It's a gratin with waxy potatoes, flaked fish, and bechamel, topped with Cheddar cheese and buttered breadcrumbs. My grandmother made it with mackerel. I've only ever found one version of the recipe online, and it called for salmon.

This is the dish of my childhood. The earliest dish I can remember that left an impression on me. I'm almost afraid to make it myself for fear of spoiling the memory.
>>
>>8138718
I blame the Jack spam that pervades most of the daily webcomic and webm threads.

Some retard just spams that shit non-stop in every thread and people keep getting amazed at that shit.
>>
>>8138641
I have almost no happy food related memories from my childhood since my parents can't cook. I had almost exclusively canned soups and pasta sauces, that's pretty much why I wanted to learn how to cook.

However, I got really amazed when I first tried some goat cheese and I still get remembered of that moment of revelation of how special food can taste.
>>
> millenials are so ignorant they refer to a Proustian reverie as a 'ratatouille moment'

educate yourselves
>>
>>8139636
I don't understand, they receive more schooling than I did, but wind up knowing less and instead learn of things through pop culture. What the hell are they teaching in schools now?
>>
File: Miracoli-1.jpg (3MB, 2652x1923px) Image search: [Google]
Miracoli-1.jpg
3MB, 2652x1923px
>>8139217
>canned soups and pasta sauces
actually thats kind of one of my happiest food memory
I dont know in which countries it's available but those Spaghetti Miracoli boxes with their "secret spice blend" (pic related) along with iceberg lettuce in a pretty sweet yoghurt lemon dressing gives me pretty happy flashbacks when I was like 5 or 6 years old and thought that was the pinnacle of cuisine
my mother learned how to cook properly when my family got more money. But even though I'm from a rather poor and trashy backround I had a pretty much perfect childhood, and shitty freeze dried herbs in a mixture of cheap tomato paste and water, topped with powdered cardboard cheese remind me of it.
>>
>>8139636
>ratatouille moment
Literally never heard of anyone who says this ever
I mean, the word 'flashback' exists, and even then, they'd probably say 'nostalgia trip'
>>
>>8139640
Warhol's entire point was the pop culture is culture. This has not been news for my entire lifetime, and I'm almost 50. Where have you been?
>>8139636
You too.
>>
>>8138641
I came from a small town in England with not much going on
The two nostalgic foods for me are my mums spaghetti bolignaise and an American themed restaurant called Rockafellas where I got buffalo wings and a big steak every birthday
>>
>>8139636
No one cares, grandpa
>>
>>8138685
for me, its the mcdouble.
>>
>>8139697

it's in the OP

>>8139701

a) pop culture being culture has nothing to do with that guy's point
b) who the fuck defers their opinion to andy fucking warhol
>>
My mom's soup that I cannot copy (yet)
Also my mom's stew that I can copy somewhat but it's just not the same
I miss me mum
But I'll go back this winter

Hot diggity is it going to be comfy
>>
>>8139748
Warhol's point is far more relevant today than it was during his lifetime. What was condescendingly called pop culture back in his day is culture today. Someone who has never read a single great work of literature is familiar with most of the classic themes running all the way back to Greek plays just from watching movies and TV. Someone who knows what a "Ratatouille moment" is does not need to know what a Proustian reverie is. Because we live in a world where far more people have seen the movie than have read A la Recherche du Temps Perdu.

At the end of the day how different is a Warhol lithograph of a Campbell's soup can from the Mona Lisa? If you nerd out on painting technique you can't even compare the two. But as ambassadors of the culture that produced them they're just about even, and equally relevant.
>>
>>8139866
Yes, they made a film about this.

Idiocracy.
>>
>>8138641
Whenever I eat a really good German meal like the kinds I grew up with.
>>
>>8139747
boi
>>
My mother's goulash.
>>
>>8139874
At the end of the day it doesn't matter. Human nature remains unchanged. Shakespeare was the TV of his day, as were the Greek playwrights. Sure, some stuff from history was so fucking on point that it transcends it time. I still listen to Vivaldi, ffs. But that doesn't mean the minds behind our pop culture are any less brilliant. Yeah, it's nice to know about the great works those that came before us have produced. We're lucky that we have access to the works of some of history's geniuses. But the actual themes of their works? You can get those just by watching Shonda Rhimes' TV shows.
>>
File: monkey and tiger.jpg (51KB, 500x656px) Image search: [Google]
monkey and tiger.jpg
51KB, 500x656px
roasted veggies remind me of being a kid. My mom was a decent cook, but always nailed it roasting veggies.

I worked in a restaurant that smoked wings in alittle smoker behind me. I loved that restaurant, and that smell brings me right back to that pantry station.

I worked in a country club that was mainly american and Italian food. Brick chickens were a big deal, and since they took soo long to cook (they used a breast with a thigh still attached) they would fire a few off at the beginning of service. I was dirt poor at the time and getting sent home with one of those was amazing.
>>
Just plain fried egg sandwich. Even when it's simple, when made by a loved one's hands, nothing can compare.
>>
>>8139946
I'm kind of the same about a NYC bodega sausage, egg and cheese on a roll. I don't even like yellow American cheese, but one bite of that sandwich and I'm reliving my first days living in NYC.
>>
>>8138641
fully/properly cooked (well done) one pound double cheeseburger.
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 748x879px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 748x879px
>>8138759
>Pot roast (beef) made with bacon fat in a Dutch oven
>Dutch oven
>>
>>8138641
Gumbo or crawfish.

My dad has always been an amazing cook, and he makes fantastic gumbo, so it reminds me of when I used to live with him in deep East Texas.

Same goes for the crawfish, because those are always present at big gatherings of family and friends.
>>
>>8138641
Marraqueta (bread)+farm cheese in the oven and mate with orange peels

My grandmother used to make this for tea time for me.
>>
>>8140484
You realize that slang comes from a common kitchen item that many people use, right?

I use my dutch oven pretty much every week.
>>
>>8138641
My mom's tuna noodle casserole and Brocolli Ham ring. Both were fucking amazing and so comfy. Also, she made this amazing rice/pine nut/sausage casserole type dish that was absolutely beyond delicious. Mouth is watering just thinkin' about it. Her meatloaf was good too. I make the meatloaf quite a bit, but it never feels the same...
>>
>>8140500
My wife bakes bread in them. We have four of them.
>>
>>8138641
Tea and madelaines
>>
>>8140500
Fuck, I'm dumb (just googled it). We also have one of these at home, but I never knew they were called Dutch Ovens. I always called it the 'stew pot', since my mom used these for that
>>
Pasties. My mom used to make them for me a lot as a kid in the winter and they taste like sledding with my friends.
>>
For years my Dad and I would go to this Thai place almost weekly for lunch, and we would always get curry as we caught up and chatted. I haven't had it in a while.
>>
File: pillsbury oven ready cookies.jpg (111KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
pillsbury oven ready cookies.jpg
111KB, 500x375px
>>8139151
These ones?
>>
>>8139151
That's adorable.
>>
>>8139181
That sounds so tasty

>>8139217
Hey, it doesn't have to be a childhood memory or a home cooked meal. Just a food that brings you a fond memory upon eating it.
>>
>>8139789
What soup/stew does she make?
>>
My grandmothers homemade chips.

Nothing beats a Scottish grannie for decent fried potato snacks. Occasionally my father will make a batch and, before serving, will tell us "I'm sorry it's not like you're used to". Gets me everytime.
>>
Lots of food I won't be eating anymore to avoid getting fat again.

Grilled cheese made with lots of butter.

Spaghetti with premade sauce and chunks of ground beef.

Fried chicken strips with white rice and corn. This triggers the most feels.

Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.

I've lost 90 lbs in the past three years and I doubt I'll be eating any of these until I'm an old ass man no longer giving a fuck about my weight.
>>
>>8139640
I'm a 24 year old that designs million dollar automation cells for companies world wide. They are teaching us STEM, not what to call a specific type of nostalgia, dipdog.
>>
>>8139701
Warhol was legally retarded.
>>
>>8138641
When I was a kid and my dad was gone and none of my siblings were home, my mom would share her cozy food that her mom ate with her. It's all junk but it's cozy and nostalgic to me.

We'd make pasta with butter (the expensive real kind we only used for special things, not the cheap margarine) and grate parmesan over the top and eat it plain or with fresh ground black pepper.

The other was only when she was depressed. She'd take leftover rice from Chinese and microwave it with milk and a little brown sugar. It was our expensive poor version of rice pudding.
>>
>>8140709
The stew really wasn't anything all that special. A fairly basic stew with tomato sauce/paste, potatoes, different types of meats for taste (bacon, dried sausage) and usually beef or so.

The soup is something that I've mostly seen only in my country (Romania). It's also fairly simple but the stock was the secret methinks. It's a chicken and dumplings soup. We call it "supă cu găluște" but that doesn't translate very well. You'll probably find some ok images on google

But really, having someone else cook for you is comfy as it is, especially when they care about you and like cooking for you. But mum always made that stuff in winter when I came back from playing in the snow as a kid (I fuckin love winter).

>tfw no wife
>>
>>8140574
v Proustian
>>
>>8138645
got 'em
>>
Apple brandy I made from cider back when I was a teen.

Rough as hell but I found a bottle hidden in my parents attic when I was helping clearing out and it reminds me of hanging out in the woods with my friends pretending to be old timey moonshiners before most got addicted to oxy or heroin and the woods got cleared out for apartments and condos.
>>
>>8140749
This. I'm not gonna say having a good grounding in literature is pointless, but it's a lot less practical to focus solely on it nowadays if you wanna make a buck
>>
>>8140749
I'm a 17 year old math genius 300k starting salary wherever I want thank u stem
>>
>>8138641
Does you mom not make it for you anymore?
>>
My dad would always make us the best breakfasts, while my mom did dinners.

So crepes, bananas foster, fresh baked bread with home made strawberry jam, all make me remember weekend mornings as a kid. That and over flowing bowls of Cheerios.

My mom's tangy barbecue slow cooked pork chops were always great, and I can remember the vinegary smell of the sauce even now. We served the extra sauce over white rice.
>>
>>8138644
Are you me?
My dad always smelled specifically of IPA however.
>>
>>8139748
>it's in the OP
He also calls it a flashback
>>
>>8140797
It's become even more rare than when I was a kid but no, she hasn't necessarily stopped making it. But, that's probably due to the fact that our home went from 3 people to 7 since my older sister and her 3 kids moved back home. Too busy, I suppose. Maybe I'll ask her to make it for my birthday.
>>
File: PfuxAmb.jpg (110KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
PfuxAmb.jpg
110KB, 640x640px
>>8139636
Never let a decent thread topic started by someone speaking earnestly and not shitposting stop you from bringing up pedantic arguments blaming the 'millenial' boogeyman.

No, anon. YOU are the cancer.

>>8138641
For me, I get a powerful feeling of nostalgia when I have german chocolate cake made from scratch. My mother always made it for my birthday growing up, and now we live on opposite sides of the country, so I didn't get it for a while. My fiancee and I made it together last month for my birthday in our little apartment.

Also, Flav-Or-Ice. The real, name brand stuff. It reminds me of learning to swim and dive into the deep end. I distinctly remember getting them from a cooler in the yard after doing repetitions and practicing dives. I ended up being on swim team in middle and high school for a while. Pink best flavor, btw.
>>
File: matilda.png (179KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
matilda.png
179KB, 500x362px
>>8141156
>german chocolate cake made from scratch
I can't help but think of Matilda.
>>
>>8140978
Yeah you definitely should man, I'm sure she would be excited to make something for you on your bday that you wanted too
>>
When I was little my mom used to make tacos. But she'd deep fry the flour tortillas before making them, instead of grilling.

Just for a few seconds, not until they're crispy. They end up fluffy and bubbly and warm and soft. I dont' know of anybody else who makes them that way. I did it myself, and jesus they're just about the most delicious things I can imagine. Oh yeah, they make good tacos too.
>>
>>8141713
You know what, I will. Maybe it'd be something to bond over.
>>
>>8140839

and a ratatouille moment. why are people denying this? he went for the most prominent example of it he could think of, which should be proust but sadly is ratatouille
>>
>>8139914

> Shakespeare was the TV of his day, as were the Greek playwrights

oh FUCK OFF with this bullshit. you think art that has lasted millennia and laid the foundation for enormous chunks of western cultural consciousness including the essential heart of culture, language, is comparable to fucking telenovelas just because poor people talked about them?

>But that doesn't mean the minds behind our pop culture are any less brilliant.

no one's extrapolating here. we shit on pop culture when it sucks and because it sucks, not because it's pop culture. and ratatouille was a great movie, but for a vivid, accurate and explicit depiction of a moment of intense remembrance catalysed by a mouthful of food, i'm gonna go with fucking proust and you should too.
>>
Belgian buns remind me of no school days, i'd always go to the bakers with friends on days off (is that weird?)
those little lunch snack boxes like lunchables? remind of when my parents were doing okay finacially, it sounds weird but when we were poor you could REALLY tell by our food choices.
tesco value wrapped eclairs (not the pastry) I used to eat during gaming sessions when i was a teenager.
and of course my mothers roast dinner. i live far away so i don't eat it much anymore.
>>
My mother used to make 3 rice dishes maybe every 3rd-4th day for me.

First, some rice with chutney podi. I'd eat with raw onion.

Second, rice with char, eaten with some sort of fried vegetable (I liked tindora, or ivy gourd, or beans). Char is kind of like rasam powder, I don't know exactly how it is different, but my grandmother sends it. Sometimes I ate it with nippat, but only my grandmother can make those well, so she has to send them over from India as well (have not tried to make them myself, but they are a very nice snack). Below is the recipe I have written down.

+ 1 flat ladle of thoor dal into pot
+ half pot of water into pot
% 6/10 heat
= ~40 minutes, until dal is transparent, flattened
% 4/10 heat
+ 2 medium tomatoes or equivalent [thickly diced]
+ 2-3 curry leaves
? mustard seeds, garlic, green chili
= until boiled
+ heaped tsp of char powder
+ .5 tsp tamarind
+ .5 tsp jaggery
+ salt to taste
+ turmeric to taste
+ asafoetida to taste
= until boiled, <5 minutes
> Done

Third, rice with Indian style yogurt, and mango pickle. You can get "Gopi" brand in grocery stores, but my mother used yogurt from cultures that her mother used in India, and she has reused the same cultures for over 20 years now. Very nice.

These are all almost trivial to make. Very filling.

For dessert, my favorite is laddu without anything like raisins or nuts (maybe a bit of semolina, I think). My grandmother also used to make these.

For one that evokes a specific memory, thili dosa (similar to neeru dosa) is a very thin, light dosa, somewhat sticky, eaten with spicy rasam. I remember a morning swinging on a large basket swing outside while eating thili dosa on one of those steel plates with compartments. You can eat a ton since they're so light, even 10-15 though I was just a kid.
>>
>>8142063
Two more.

One - idli with coconut chutney and sambar, eaten on a giant banana leaf on my paternal grandmother's roof. We would pick the leaves from the tree just outside the house, then wash them.

Two - the restaurant Hotel Mylari in Mysore. They serve the best idlis and dosas, for very very cheap and very quickly.
>>
>>8140822
What kind of bread? I bet it was a ton of work for your dad.

>>8141718
Nice, I'll try that next time

>>8142052
That sounds nice Anon. I remember going to a bakery with a girl I liked back in high school. What is your mother's roast dinner?
>>
>>8139060
You one of those operation baby lift kids? My old man lives in nam now, love getting pho from some shitty street corner place with no hygiene regulations, it's so goddamn good
>>
>>8142038
You're such a pretentious pseudo-intellectual asshole and you should fuck right off outta this thread.
>>
Comfiest thread on /ck/ rn
>>
>>8142131

i'm not the one going 'hurrr warhol dictates what we should all believe' m8
>>
>>8142156
I don't think you understand what he was trying to say you peasant
>>
So listen. My grandma used to make incredibly good blini stuffed with rice and meat. She had her own recipe, both for blini (so they would be thin, a bit salty, but still have that blin consistency) and meat. It was delicious. Once in two weeks, on Sunday, she made blini for the whole family, and we gathered in her house to eat and see each other.
I live in a different city now, and my grandma passed away 4 years ago. I wasn't there in her final moments, and fuck, I wish I was. Recently, I started to try and recreate her blini, to remember those moments, but I can't succeed. Something always feels off, be it the dough or the garlic in the meat. I just don't know how to do it. And that's sad.
So I guess I don't have that kind of food, lol, but I thought that my story is still thread-related. Sorry for messy English.
>>
>>8142131
I agree with this gentleman.

Also, Proust is absolute trash.
>>
>>8142162

his point is very clear - pop culture can represent sentiments and ideas just as vividly as the higher arts, and to more people. it's not something i really disagree with, but it doesn't just equalise everything. the way proust writes about his experience is fascinating, deeply personal and original. pixar just drew a picture of his idea and people should know that.
>>
File: 1466114290343.gif (234KB, 402x402px) Image search: [Google]
1466114290343.gif
234KB, 402x402px
>>8138641
>tfw nothing gives you this feeling
>>
>>8142111
like a traditional english sunday roast really.
>>
File: why was this a thing.jpg (55KB, 564x416px) Image search: [Google]
why was this a thing.jpg
55KB, 564x416px
>>8138824
I remember those, or something very similar. "Wildlife" bars? Haven't had one in about 25-30 years. Same for pic related. Seeing both of these makes me think of laying on my belly on my gran's living room floor with a colouring book and felt pens for hours. Then mum comes to pick me up and gran tells her I've been good as gold.

I haven't been good as gold in a long time.
>>
>>8142249

i was at a pub quiz last sunday that had a round where they showed a biscuit montage and we had to name the biscuits, this exact picture was one of them. i'd completely forgotten about these and nice biscuits.
>>
>>8139665
We weren't weatlhy but we weren't exactly poor either. We could've gotten fresher ingredients and my mother had enough time; she just didn't really try.

>>8140704
Goat cheese would be fitting well enough, I guess.
Maybe it's not exactly what the thread is about, but I feel a kind of emotional attachment to figs. The chef of the kitchen I did my apprenticeship in was talking shit about figs and I want to do great things with figs to show myself that I can be better than him. Figs fill me with determination.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VDFxlQPxl4

Do you honestly think you're fucking funny, fucking with my friends? Seriously, you're a fucking ugly little cunt mate, and if I ever see you i'm gunna slit your fucking face wide open yeh? You're a fucking angry little fucking spastic.
OK, right, let’s, first off, uhh you’re seventeen so you’re not even old enough to play the game, you’re from Scotland not Nigeria and you annoy people and put them on YouTube ‘cos you’re a cunt, which I totally agree with. So why don’t you crawl back up your mum’s fanny and die?
Right, I’ll tell you what, you fat little cunt, you’re borin’ you don’t sound Nigerian at all so go fuck yourself… GO AND FUCKING CRAWL IN A DIRTY DANK LITTLE HOLE WHERE YOU FUCKING COME FROM, YOU DIRTY DRAGON EATIN’ LITTLE FUCKING SPASTIC.

oh and a fish video
>>
>>8142038
I agree that the stuff that transcends to time of its creation often does so on its own merit. The only reason anyone has to reference Proust in the 21st Century is because his writing was that good. We're in agreement on this.

My point is that shitting on pop culture just because you happen to be familiar with the works of past geniuses is total bullshit. The people who create pop culture are often smart and cultured themselves, often including all kinds of references and homages in their work.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with using a movie about a cartoon rat as a cultural touchstone instead Proust. If anything it's a tribute to the brilliance of the writers of the film to include such a brazen Proust reference in a movie set in the Paris of days gone by. If you think that wasn't intentional you've never been in a writers' meeting.
>>
>>8138641
Liver and onions with sour cream, no matter what I do I can't recreate it the way my mom makes it.
Also pelmeni, my grandmother would make tons of them whenever I came to visit, they're similar to ravioli but the dough is lighter and we usually panfry them after boiling and eat with sour cream and soy sauce.
>>
>>8138641
Made some really good macaroni and cheese. The next day I heated some of the leftovers with diced ham. Had flashbacks to elementary school where they sometimes serve it in the cafeteria. Almost teared up. Nothing like that has happened since.
>>
>>8142185
>Proust is absolute trash.
Huge cultural relevance, though. Hell, to this day in French the term for nostalgia caused by food is a "madeleine de Proust". We're talking common usage, not clever literary allusion. It seems like a pretentious literary reference in English because we don't really use the expression in everyday speech. But it is common in French.
>>
>>8138641
Roasted potatoes and steamed vegetables, without spices, just like my grandmother made them. I never cook that as a dish, I'm always adding spices to everything and mixing things. But sometimes I start off cooking things separately and I taste between each step. I never liked those things, they were so bland, but my grandfather always complimented her after the meal. Now when I taste them, I'm reminded of those days, the cold winter and the fire place.

Typing this out gave me déjà vu...
>>
>>8142700
>If anything it's a tribute to the brilliance of the writers of the film to include such a brazen Proust reference in a movie set in the Paris of days gone by. If you think that wasn't intentional you've never been in a writers' meeting.

Not the guy you were talking but that is a good point.
>>
>>8138641
The smell of fresh-cut grass

Not food-related but whatever

I'll bet that if my dad made me a scrambled egg sandwich or a chocolate milkshake again it would bring me back...
>>
>>8138641
Congee reminds me of being ill

A big ol steak and a glass of red wine reminds me of a successful fiscal quarter

Ice cream cake reminds me of birthday parties

The bitterness in coffee reminds me of the bitterness of life.
>>
>>8142918
I couldn't help but notice it because the first time I saw that movie was an a theater in Paris (with French subtitles). The line "Sorry to be rude, but we're French" totally fell flat. But the flashback totally got a reaction from the audience.
>>
Going to a restaurant and taking that first bite out of a patty melt with American cheese and bacon.

I cant remember the last time I ordered one though. Damn, now I'm thinking about it.
>>
File: 1472387877000.jpg (6KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
1472387877000.jpg
6KB, 229x220px
>>8138644
you poor, poor thing
>>
>>8142177
>Once in two weeks, on Sunday, she made blini for the whole family, and we gathered in her house to eat and see each other.
My family used to get together for Sunday dinners too. Unfortunately no gifted chefs in our family but that time to connect was still valuable. I wonder if Sunday is like the designated family day?
>>
>>8142177
>Something always feels off
It's not the dough, garlic, or meat. The love that one puts into making food for the ones they love is the secret ingredient that it taste so good.
>>
>>8142190
It just means you haven't eaten that food yet, anon. Something is going to give you that cozy feeling.
>>
>>8142732
>Liver and onions with sour cream
That's like every cartoon concoction for stinky breath.

>sour cream and soy sauce
Never had that combination and I'm not quite sure I want to.
>>
Disney is to movies what McDonalds is to cooking. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>8142758
>Almost teared up
I love that feeling.

>leftover diced ham
That sounds like the perfect post-Thanksgiving meal. And for that great idea, I'll share one of mine with you.

>Utilize whatever meat you have leftover from the holiday
>rosemary bread from Costco with some butter toasted on the skillet
>meat and stuffing heated on the skillet or micro
>microwaved mashed potatoes and gravy either in the sandwich or on the side
>sandwich of the gods for the weeks following Thanksgiving.
>>
>>8138641
>everyone at the table was trying to pick off my plate.
What third world shithole are you from where this is an apparently acceptable thing to do? That's disgusting.
>>
>>8142929
>A big ol steak and a glass of red wine reminds me of a successful fiscal quarter
That's silly but I dig it.

>The bitterness in coffee reminds me of the bitterness of life.
Okay edgelord, calm down.
>>
>>8143534
It's not like they were sticking their forks in my plate when I wasn't looking, they just asked for a bite.
>>
>>8138641
My mom's meatloaf/shepards pie

or my dad's stroganoff
>>
>>8138644
>your dad had to get drunk to abuse you
You lucky bastard.
>>
>>8138641
anything my grandma makes. this is a massive problem because shes 96, had a stroke last year, and has never written down any recipes
>>
>>8138641
homemade pickles
peanut pasta
butternut squash soup
polish sausage
my grandmothers sugar cookies
>>
>>8143676
>not asking for recipes before your grandparents get too old
>inb4 'they never measured anything'

Then you weigh the bag or box ingredients are stored in before and after.
>>
>>8138918
>implying co is not filled with moms watching disneyshit with kids
>>
>>8143965
It's not.
>>
My grandmother from Peru would make a stuffing with beef, raisin, walnuts and hard boiled egg.i was never able to get the recipe before I was kicked out of the house.
>>
>>8138641
My mum would make this fried rice with mushrooms, instant rice, beef strips with brown sugar, and soy sauce. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water and brings me back to standing in her kitchen trying to eat the soy sauce soaked mushrooms. God, miss that.
Thread posts: 152
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.